UU Hydreigon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Life Orb set doesn't have to run Roost, while it does get opportunities to use the move, it doesn't get a lot, and Draco / Dark Pulse / Iron Tail / Focus Blast is a legit set that wallbreaks the fuck out of a lot of stuff. At least mention it if you don't want to slash it, please.

Now that you bumped it, this might be controversial but I think Naive/Naughty should be the natures on the first set, sure it makes you have bigger issues with Chandy and Hydra but they can be made up thanks to Roost. The -SpDef natures help you with priority obviously. Feel free to discuss it though.

Also on Superpower, I think you should find a spread that ensures the 2HKO on Bold Blissey after Lefties w/o SR (because you already kill with SR). With 56 Atk you have like a 90% chance, dunno if you should invest more than that though—since if it's Toxic Blissey it might have Protect anyway. This is assuming Blissey stays, obviously.

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
Now that you bumped it, this might be controversial but I think Naive/Naughty should be the natures on the first set, sure it makes you have bigger issues with Chandy and Hydra but they can be made up thanks to Roost. The -SpDef natures help you with priority obviously. Feel free to discuss it though.

Also on Superpower, I think you should find a spread that ensures the 2HKO on Bold Blissey after Lefties w/o SR (because you already kill with SR). With 56 Atk you have like a 90% chance, dunno if you should invest more than that though—since if it's Toxic Blissey it might have Protect anyway. This is assuming Blissey stays, obviously.
Fair point considering it can then do this:

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 242-285 (74.4 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Also the stuff it used to check like Chandelure and Mega-Houndoom have become a lot more uncommon because of Hydreigons presence(although Chandelure is on the rise), so I will implement this.

As for the Blissey thing, I might take some out of speed to still outspeed base 95s and a bit from spatk

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
scarf set should be listed first imo since it's much easier to slap on a team and more common among good players from what i've seen

qc 2/3

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
OUPL Champion
scarf set should be listed first imo since it's much easier to slap on a team and more common among good players from what i've seen

qc 2/3
I had it as the main set at first but since life orb became a lot better and scarf could be taken advantage of much more easily by having a lucario set up on it after it has used a draco meteor or something, i decided to make scarf the second set, i'd like to discuss this personally on irc ._.

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
OUPL Champion
Gonna try to write this up soon but have been getting new laptop and all cause old was is garbdix :x

Roost should be slashed with iron tail instead of superpower cuz tail is extremely unreliable and giving lucario a free setup turn is suicide most of the time :]

Now that blissey has infested the tier maybe give more love to superpower>Iron tail as Florges usage has dropped. Honestly I would just use flash cannon to also hit aromatisse and other fairy or rock mons. Also S rank now. VIP. (Very important pokemon xD)

Last edited:

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've used CB Hydregion and it's honestly pretty viable. Your Iron Tail is strong enough to nearly ohko defensive Florges after SR and you are guaranteed a 2hko on Aroma even with protect bullshit. Granted iron tail actually has to hit twice but stranger things have happened. It's also an incredibly effective Blissey lure, and while Outrage is not as effective as Draco Meteor, it has an advantage in that it prevents stuff from setting up on your afterwards (unless it's a Fairy). Remember, Hydregion has more attack than Flygon, allowing it to 2hko Slowbro and stuff.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
OO and CC aren't formatted correctly.

In general, there seems to be an awful lack of content in the sets, and what's there is vague and unconvincing. For instance, in the LO set, you say that "56 Atk EVs helps hit Blissey harder"; instead, try and say exactly what it accomplishes. EVs should not be arbitrary. The lack of content is especially problematic in the Team Options and Usage tips sections.

I question whether Scarf should still be over LO in the toge meta, but I can't make a definitive call on that one way or another.

I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but Hydreigon really is a pivotal mon in UU, and the analysis really needs to fully explain its role for people to understand the metagame.

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
OUPL Champion
OO and CC aren't formatted correctly.

In general, there seems to be an awful lack of content in the sets, and what's there is vague and unconvincing. For instance, in the LO set, you say that "56 Atk EVs helps hit Blissey harder"; instead, try and say exactly what it accomplishes. EVs should not be arbitrary. The lack of content is especially problematic in the Team Options and Usage tips sections.

I question whether Scarf should still be over LO in the toge meta, but I can't make a definitive call on that one way or another.

I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but Hydreigon really is a pivotal mon in UU, and the analysis really needs to fully explain its role for people to understand the metagame.
I did have LO as the first set but people wanted me to make scarf the first set(was before Toge meta so will change it again). And yeah i still have to finish OO and CC.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
heya

LO SET -

Usage Tips: This still needs to be fleshed out a little more. Perhaps mention Hydreigon's ability to switch into stuff like Victini's V-create on offensive teams? also mention when to use superpower / dark pulse / draco meteor as a lot of people mess up

C&C - mention checks and counters specific to the scarf set, like Blissey + Umbreon, as well

Formatting - Your C&C is still in the wrong format. You also have some weird spacing going on between sections

fix this stuff and i'll come back and look at it one more time before third stamp =)

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
OUPL Champion
heya

LO SET -

Usage Tips: This still needs to be fleshed out a little more. Perhaps mention Hydreigon's ability to switch into stuff like Victini's V-create on offensive teams? also mention when to use superpower / dark pulse / draco meteor as a lot of people mess up

C&C - mention checks and counters specific to the scarf set, like Blissey + Umbreon, as well

Formatting - Your C&C is still in the wrong format. You also have some weird spacing going on between sections

fix this stuff and i'll come back and look at it one more time before third stamp =)
Is this better?_?

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########

After dwelling in low the bottom of OU in BW2 OU for a long time, the Hydra-like pseudo-legendary Hydreigon has dropped to UU, where it has the chance to shine. It can utilize its amazing offensive stats and STAB moves to wreack wreak havoc, while it's its giant movepool takes care of its few would-be counters. The Dark buff to the Dark-type also helped immensely because now there are less resists Pokemon that resist to Hydreigon's STAB Dark-type moves STAB.

Not all is good for Hydreigon though. One of the reasons it dropped is because of The introduction of the new Fairy-type typing, something which Hydreigon happens to be 4x weak to,(AC) limits its capabilities,(AC) so now it has even more weaknesses besides the common attacking types Fighting and Bug. It's Its Speed can sometimes also be underwhelming, being outspeed outsped by the base 100s and higher speed tier mons many faster Pokemon that can easily kill it like KO it such as Mienshao and Infernape. However, if you play Hydreigon to it's its strengths, it can be one of the deadliest Pokemon in the tier.

Specially based Life Orb
########
name: Specially based Life Orb
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Iron Tail / Roost
move 4: Superpower / Roost
ability: Levitate
item: Life Orb
evs: 56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Naive / Hasty

Moves
========

Slap a Life Orb on Hydreigon, and Draco Meteor becomes a nuke that will decimate everything that's not a Fairy-type,(AC) a Steel-type,(AC) or a Blissey. Dark Pulse hits Jirachi if it wants to switch into a Draco Meteor and it does a good chunk to Mega Aggron as well. Iron Tail and Superpower are coverage moves to hit Fairies and Blissey respectively. Roost is an alternative if you want Hydreigon to have recovery, and don't need the coverage move as much because you have the threats covered.

Set Details
========

The Attack EVs should only be used if you're using Hydreigon is running Superpower so you it can 2HKO Blissey after rocks Stealth Rock damage, but if you're it's not using Superpower feel free to shove them into Special Attack. Maximum Speed investment with a Naive nature just to be able allows Hydreigon to outspeed Haxorus before a boost, and the rest of the EVs are pumped in Special Attack to hit as hard as possible with the dual STABs its STAB moves. A Hasty nature can be an alternative used if you want to allow Hydreigon to take special hits slightly better, but Naive is preferred for taking priority moves.

Usage Tips
========

This Hydreigon set excels at punching holes in the opposing team. It appreciates a U-turn or Volt Switch user that can safely bring it in to launch a big hit, and a pivot you such as Jirachi it can fall back to when Hydreigon it is forced out like Jirachi. This set is usually best used on more offensive teams, because it provides a lot of important resistances as an offensive mon like Pokemon such as Psychic, Dark, Fire, Electric,(AC) and Water. Most of the time you it will be spamming Draco Meteors, but if your the opponent has a solid counter to the Scarf set that most people expect like Blissey or Togekiss, try not to reveal your the item and lure them out so you Hydreigon can hit them hard with Superpower or Iron Tail respectively.

Team Options
========

Jirachi is a good partner as it can bring in Hydreigon safely with a U-turn and it can beat the Fairies he it struggles against. Victini can beat his Hydreigon's enemies and pivot with U-turn as well, but unlike Jirachi it can switch into Fighting-type moves. Togekiss switches into Bug-, Fighting-,(AC) and Dragon-type moves and can use a slow Baton Pass to bring Hydreigon in.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choiced Choice Scarf
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Fire Blast / Dragon Pulse
move 4: U-turn
ability: Levitate
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid / Modest

Moves
========

Choice Scarf Hydreigon is unfortunately hurt a lot by the arrival of the new Fairies, but that doesn't mean that it's no longer viable. It still has a powerful STAB Draco Meteor coming from a base 125 spatk Special Attack, and which it allows it to revenge kill a variety of threats. Dark Pulse is a secondary STAB that is more reliable and hits Psychics Psychic-types. Fire Blast is the preferred option in the 3rd third slot to hit Lucario and other steels Steel-types, but Dragon Pulse is a more reliable secondary Dragon-type STAB move. U-turn is a very important move, as it allows Hydreigon to gain momentum when special walls and Fairies switch in.

Set Details
========

The spread is standard for a special sweeping scarfer Choice Scarf user; just simple maximum Speed and max Special Attacks investment. Timid is the preferred nature because you want to outspeed as many things Pokemon as possible and Speed tie with opposing Scarf Hydreigon. Modest gives you Hydreigon a nice power boost to your power and allows you for example to kill it to KO Nidoking after one round SR Stealth Rock damage.

Usage Tips
========

Scarf Hydreigon can be used on any type of team as a revenge killer because of it's its great typing,(AC) both offensively and defensively. There is honestly no drawback to using it on your team. Early-game you usually it should be used to scout and wear down the opposing team by U-turning with U-turn while and dropping a Draco Meteor or two, but late-game Hydreigon shines late-type by cleaning a worn-down team with its powerful dual STABs moves.

Team Options
========

Hydreigon is the easiest mon Pokemon to make a U-turn core with, so Crobat, Jirachi,(AC) and Victini all work. They also help Hydreigon take out Fairies which completely wall it. Although Fairies are Hydreigon's biggest enemy, they are also great partners. They resist his Dragon, Bug,(AC) and Fighting weakness so you it wont doesn't have to worry about opposing Hydreigon, faster U-turners users,(AC) and Scarf Mienshao. Froslass, Roserade,(AC) and Nidoqueen are useful for setting up hazards that weaken the opposing team enough so Hydra Hydreigon can get the kills KOs much more easily.

Other Options
########

Hydreigon can utilize Choice Specs to make the most of its great Special Attack stat, but being locked into Dragon- and Dark-type moves isn't the greatest thing in a meta where Fairies run rampant. With the combination of Scope Lens and Focus Energy, Hydreigon can use a similar set to the famous Critdra. It can opt for some interesting support moves like such as Toxic, Taunt, Tailwind,(AC) and Thunder Wave, but you're it's usually better off using strong attacks. Choice Band Hydreigon can catch it's its usual counters off-guard by hitting super hard on the physical side.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: Togekiss, Florges, Granbull,(AC) and Aromatisse can all switch into Hydreigon's STAB moves with their excellent bulk. Especially Granbull is nice for countering Hydreigon as it can use it's Intimidate to weaken Iron Tail from the mixed set.

**Fighting-types**: Mienshao equipped with a Choice Scarf Mienshao can revenge kill any kind of Hydreigon. Machamp with an Assault Vest Machamp can switch into Scarf Hydra Hydreigon and hit it with a Dynamic Punch, while Lucario can switch once into a scarfed Draco Meteor or Dark Pulse once and set up or hit something with a use Close Combat.

**Special Walls: Blissey and Umbreon easily wall the Choice Scarf set because of their high Special Defense and HP stat. They have to be careful around the mixed set though, as one well-timed Superpower could spell doom for them.

GP 1/2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)