Other Features How OR/AS has changed the tiers of the Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
(First time submitting an article, sorry if the format looks terrible)
(I didn't know what category this fell under, sorry!)

So I was thinking that I could write an article for the smog about what Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire has done to change all tiers, LC through Ubers. For example, How the usage of many Pokemon has changed due to their new move or mega, or even just because they finally have their ability!

For example, Lopunny was from PU to RU because of it's new move, High Jump Kick, and it's new mega, allowing it to hit Ghost types with it's new move, gaining a new STAB, Fighting type.

Another great example is Beedrill. To start off, it was PU, then when it got it's mega, it got shot straight up to UU! Not only that, It got a HUGE boost in attack and speed, with it's new ability, Adaptability.

To add on to this, one of the top tier threats in OU, Greninja, got a new move, allowing it to demolish Fairy-types, Gunk Shot. This move alone skyrocketed Greninja to having a chance of getting suspected.

To make the lower tier Pokemon, Vileplume and Bellossom even better, they gave Oddish the accessibility to the strongest released non-Pixilated Fairy move, Moonblast.

And then there was Machamp. Even though Machamp's tier didn't change, it still got a load of moves in it's learnset. Machamp can now get Knock Off, Dual Chop and Bulk Up.

GYARADOS NOW GETS CRUNCH!

Pinsir got Double Hit (ehh...)

Sceptile now has Giga Drain in it's learnset, along with Dual Chop, Quick Guard and Screech, and X-Scissor is now learnable at level 45 instead of level 16.

I'd love to finish this later, as I have to go at this point!

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
First of all, no need to worry about your submission format, you've summarized fairly well what you aspire to write about and some examples you'll be bringing up. But judging by the content you've put forth, I'm not sure if you have enough knowledge about any of the metas to make this topic justice. Machamp, for instance, already had access to Bulk Up and Knock Off in Black/White, and could be used with those moves in XY when traded from BW, leaving only Dual Chop as its new move which has little use as it already had Ice Punch access. Moonblast for the Oddish family line is of arguable use, as they don't receive STAB from that move, and while it has some use I don't believe its usage has risen that much from that move alone, but instead from shifts in the meta (and an increased Sp Atk from XY). Your other entries are mostly about the new megas, which were covered in the earlier issue. So while it's fun to see you being eager to share your knowledge, I'm not confident that you would be able to properly document all of the notable changes ORAS brought around, not to mention that we already have two articles in the works for how ORAS affected two of our main tiers.

Thanks for your application, but for me, I'm going to decline it. But if you end up with another idea for an article, feel free to submit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)