ORAS OU Hot Sand (Offensive Weather Team)

Hello, I created this team a couple days ago because I relaized I didn't have any weather central teams and wanted to use Hippowdon and Excadrill together. Feel free to use this team if you want to.

Gengar

@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave

Gengar is mainly here to punch holes mid to late game. It kills psychic type threats like Latios, Latias, Alakazam, Metagross, Mew and the list goes on and on. This pokemon serves as a revenge killer that is basically guaranteed a kill and outspeeds everything not scarfed. Dazzling Gleam hits fighting types that are commonly used and dark types like Weavile who would normally outspeed. Shadow Ball hits psychic types as stated and is stab so it's just solid overall. Thunderbolt is mainly for pesky flying types and water types that aren't covered that well on my team like Gyarados and Keldeo. Sludge Wave is stab and hits grass types like Serperior and Breloom and also kills stally fairy types like Clefable and Sylveon.

Hippowdon

@ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge

Hippowdon is my main source of setting up rocks and sand but also counters Pokemon like Talonflame and speedy electric types like Raikou and Manectric. It's sole purpose is to be a bit of a wall, set up rocks and set up sand. It's recommended to keep Hippowdon alive so that it can switch in as fodder and set up sand for Excadrill. Stealth Rock is there for obvious reasons. Earthquake hits poison, rock and steel types and is also stab. Slack Off is to recover HP in combination with leftovers so that it can put up more sand. Stone Edge is there to solely hit Talonflame because it is so commonly used.

Excadrill

@ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Excadrill is on my team mainly to sweep using the sand Hippowdon set up and spin away rocks for Charizard. The Life Orb allows him to do as much damage as possible. Earthquake is his main form of damage due to being stab and high damage. Iron Head is there to hit fairies like Clefable or Azumarill if you're feeling lucky. Rock Slide is there for Talonflame, Staraptor and other flying types. Rapid Spin is to get rocks off the field for Charizard because that 50% is game changing.

Azumarill

@ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Azumarill is on my team to hit ground types like Landorus and to 1v1 fighting types like Lopunny. I have Assault Vest Azumarill because I don't want him to take too much damage from special attacks, this team is fairly weak to Landorus and Garchomp so I want Azumarill healthy. Aqua jet is priority and I have no priority at all, it's also stab and finishes off ground type threats. Waterfall is a great move and is the best physical water stab. Play Rough hits really hard and is my fairy move for Dark and Fighting types as stated. Knock Off is there mainly because I have no other Knock Off users on this team and getting rid of an item is very useful when making predictions.

Ferrothorn

@ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn is mainly on this team as a physical wall, as a backup option of getting up rocks in case Hippowdon dies and just taking pressure off of other team members. Being my second Dragon this takes a lot of the pressure off Azumarill. It has Leech Seed because in combination with Leftovers your opponent will be doing hardly any damage at all. Protect is there to stall out turns and works well in combination with Leech Seed because it allows you to drain more health from your opponent. Gyro Ball is a great move on Ferrothorn because it's stab and hits fast attackers hard. Stealth Rock is there to ease the pressure off of Hippowdon since it already has a use in setting up sand and walling physical attacks.

Charizard Y

@ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Charizard is on the team to kill Ferrothorn, Serperior, Breloom, Scizor, and a ton of other Pokemon. Charizard Y just hits hard in general and is able to wall water types... Surprisingly well. Your opponent will expect Charizard X because the team already has sand on it but won't expect it at all when you mega evolve and dish out EXTREME damage with Flamethrower to whatever Pokemon. Focus Blast is there to go for against a Heatran switch in, because people love to make that play since they think they'll get a Flash Fire boost. Flamethrower is better than Fire Blast to me because it can't miss and Fire Blast tends to miss at the worst times, Flamethrower hits hard enough and is boosted by Drought and is stab. Solar Beam is great on this Pokemon because when in the Sun it doesn't take two turns to activate, meaning that it attacks instantly. Since Charizard is weak to Water types it's great to be able to counter them with a super effective 120 damage attack. Roost is to get back HP that you may lose from staying in on attack, since Charizard is going to have to almost always take damage to dish out any.

So that's the team, please leave any questions, thoughts or concerns below and alert me of any weaknesses or questionable sets. Thanks for reading!​

Last edited:
I have a few suggestions.

On Ferrothorn make sure you're running 0 Speed IVs. Obviously this will increase gyro balls damage. I also highly recommend running spikes opposed to stealth rock. Hippowdon already has stealth rock and being able to use spikes further makes the entry hazards a problem for your opposition.

I personal would recommend Charizard X with a DD set. You don't have anything that raises stats and I think having a pokemon that does this would be helpful. Sure, DD charizard X is far from surprising, but it is a very strong pokemon. Perhaps a set like this:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz (Keeps a fire type coverage)
- Dragon Claw (Great STAB)
- EQ/Roost (I'd prefer roost for longevity)

I'd try out Charizard X, though that is mostly a preference thing, I highly recommend the changes I suggested on Ferrothorn as I think they'd really help your team.

I suggest you to change Gengar's nature to Modest. `Mons with 110 base speed don't usually run Choice Scarf and the Modest natures gives a really good extra offense.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave

Why do both Ferrothorn and Hippowdon carry Stealth Rocks? I also really think that it is better to use CM Clefable instead of Ferrothorn because your team needs a set-up `mon.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

Another thing I suggest you is to replace Azumarill with Weavile. AV Azumarill doesn't appreciate sun very much. Weavile gives you very high speed, priority, power and can trap the Lati@s family with Pursuit:
Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

I have used your team with my changes and it is quite good, really:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-264180949

The only thing that I found annoying is an opposing scarfed Magnezone but it can be beaten quite easily with smart plays such as predicting and somehow getting a sand rush boosted excadrill against him.

Other than that, your team seems pretty nice and powerful to me. Good luck with it!

Good team, I did notice everything on it can be 2HKOed by Azus (Ferrothorn gets lured by Superpower), but otherwise it's great.

My first rate is Focus Blast > Dazzling Gleam for Gengar. Dazzling Gleam dosen't really target anything that Focus Blast dosen't, and Weavile just does good damage anyway with Ice Shard. Change Ferrothorn speed IVs to 0 because that will maximize Gyro Ball's damage output, but I would actually run Power Whip and Thunder Wave over Gyro and Protect. Thunder Wave aids Zard Y and Azumarill with their decent and meh speed respectively and allows for switchin opportunities. Otherwise, it's a good team, hope I helped.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi there, cool team. I think that you should change Hippowdon's EV spread; currently it cannot switch into electric types safely. A spread of 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SpD with an Impish Nature allows it to reliably take on HP Ice from electrics bar Specs Raikou. This still retains the bulk to take on Lopunny, Zard X, Talonflame, etc

Next up I would also suggest changing Ferrothorn's spread. It is your main check to special fairies and Latios as well as Manaphy which can be problematic. A spread of 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 SpD with a Relaxed Nature allows you to better take Ice Beam from Kyurem-Black and survives a 2HKO from +3 Manaphy Ice Beam. I would also run Power Whip over Protect to be able to damage Manaphy as well as Mega Gyarados which it is your main check to. Gonna echo running 0 Spe IVs to maximize Gyro Ball's power.

Lastly I would suggest replacing Gengar. While revenge killing is certainly nice, it is pursuit bait once locked into a move.

I would recommend Thundurus with the moveset Thunder Wave / Nasty Plot / Thunderbolt / HP Ice with Leftovers.

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This allows you to paralyze fast threats with TWave (allowing teammates to revenge reliably) and also gives you another wallbreaker. It lures and weakens Hippo for Excadrill and Latios for Zard Y. Calm Mind Latios is another option in this slot since it gives you a more reliable check to Keldeo and opposing Zard Y but leaves you a bit more vulnerable to CM Bro, Serperior and still has the pursuit trapping issue.

Also a reminder to put 0 Atk IVs on your special attackers so they take less damage from foul play and confusion.

Hope this helped!

Last edited:
I have a few suggestions.

On Ferrothorn make sure you're running 0 Speed IVs. Obviously this will increase gyro balls damage. I also highly recommend running spikes opposed to stealth rock. Hippowdon already has stealth rock and being able to use spikes further makes the entry hazards a problem for your opposition.

I personal would recommend Charizard X with a DD set. You don't have anything that raises stats and I think having a pokemon that does this would be helpful. Sure, DD charizard X is far from surprising, but it is a very strong pokemon. Perhaps a set like this:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz (Keeps a fire type coverage)
- Dragon Claw (Great STAB)
- EQ/Roost (I'd prefer roost for longevity)

I'd try out Charizard X, though that is mostly a preference thing, I highly recommend the changes I suggested on Ferrothorn as I think they'd really help your team.
I am going to take you up on running Spikes over Stealth Rock on Ferrothorn but I'm keeping Zard Y because I lack a special presence. My entire team is physical other than Charizard and Gengar. Thanks anyways though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)