Honchkrow

Oh, I forgot to mention that calc was for focus blast lol. I thought you meant focus blast and not shadow ball but that is irrelevant because reuniclus would never use sb against krow(and you would be switching in to a trick room and not shadow ball lol)

Well, TR Reuniclus'(252 SpA Quiet) Focus Blast does 89.74% - 105.57% to 0 HP/0 SpD Honch and 75.74% - 89.11% with 252 HP.

He's a check at best.

Honchkrow-Life Orb (Insomnia)
Mild (SpAtk+,Def-)
200 Atk/56 SpAtk/252 Spd
Night Slash
Heat Wave
Drill Peck
Superpower/Icy Wind

Kinda standard, but I like it. Never been a big fan of Superpower, but not that many options for Honchkrow. Anything to do to make it better?

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i honestly think that mixkrow is better than moxiekrow I have never had any luck with a moxie honchkrow. Any honchkrow set with moxie that actually works?

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Jolly 252/252 Sub/NS/SP/BB Moxiehonch works wonders.
I stand corrected i used Adamant 4 252/252 sub/roost/sucker punch/brave bird and swept EVERY TEAM that didn't have a steel type

Edit:seriously Literally every team

Swagger

This thread is for competitive discussion. Sorry if there's another thread about this pokémon, but I couldn't find any.

Honchkrow #430
Type: Dark/Flying
Egg Group: Flying
Gender Ratio: 50:50
Stats: 100 HP/125 Atk/52 Def/105 Sp.Atk/52 Sp.Def/71 Spe
Abilities: Insomnia: Prevents this pokémon from sleeping.
Super Luck: Raises the Critical Hit ratio of the moves.
Overconfidence (DW): Raises Atk when the opponent is knocked out

Moves:
New moves in Italic

Lv.-: Astonish
Lv.-: Pursuit
Lv.-: Haze
Lv.-: Wing Attack
Lv.25: Swagger
Lv.35: Nasty Plot
Lv.45: Trickery (Dark Physical, 95BP, 15PP, 100% hit, The higher opponent's Atk stat, higher the damage)
Lv.55: Night Slash
Lv.65: Postpone (Dark Status, 15PP, 100% hit, Forces the opponent to attack last in that turn)
Lv.75: Dark Pulse

TMs:
TM04: Calm Mind
TM06: Toxic
TM10: Hidden Power
TM11: Sunny Day
TM12: Taunt
TM15: Hyper Beam
TM17: Protect
TM18: Rain Dance
TM21: Frustration
TM27: Return
TM29: Psychic
TM30: Shadow Ball
TM32: Double Team
TM40: Aerial Ace
TM41: Torment
TM42: Facade
TM44: Rest
TM45: Attract
TM46: Thief
TM48: Canon/Troll/Sing A Round (Normal special, 60BP, 15PP, 100% hit, more powerful if an ally used it)
TM59: Complete Burn (Fire Special, 30BP, 15PP, 100% hit, destroy the opponent's berries)
TM60: Postpone (Dark Status, 15PP, 100% hit, Forces the opponent to attack last in that turn)
TM63: Embargo
TM66: Payback
TM67: Vengeance (Normal Physical, 70BP, 5PP, 100% hit, power increased if a teammate fainted this turn)
TM68: Giga Impact
TM73: Thunder Wave
TM77: Psych Up
TM85: Dream Eater
TM87: Swagger
TM88: Pluck
TM90: Substitute
TM95: Bark Out (Dark Special, 55BP, 15PP, 95% hit, Lower the foe's Sp.Atk)
HM02: Fly

Breeding
Brave Bird
Whirlwind
Confuse Ray
Perish Song
Roost
Drill Peck
Mirror Move
Wing Attack
Assurance
Sky Attack
Screech
Psycho Shift

Pre-evolution only moves:
Peck
Night Shade
Faint Attack
Mean Look
Tailwind
Sucker Punch

Previous generations only moves:
Secret Power
Steel Wing
Snatch
Endure
Captivate
Sleep Talk
Natural Gift
Air Cutter
Superpower
Heat Wave
Ominous Wind
Spite
Twister
Mud-Slap
Uproar
Swift
Icy Wind
Double-Edge
Mimic
Snore

Overview:

Ah, Honchkrow, my favorite poké, the lord of the Flyings, you return with both a good and a bad thing in this new generation. First, let's talk about good things... well, only two to tell you the truth. The first good thing it got is his new STAB move, Trickery, a 95BP which hits stronger if the foe has a high attack (good for the new clay ghost). Sure, it will struggle to find a moveslot with the occasional but strong Sucker Punch, the Super Luck's best friend Night Slash and the ever useful Pursuit, but Trickery is awesome due the amount of heavy physical hitters that Gen V introduced. The other good thing is the wish of all the physical attackers: Overconfidence, with raises its fearsome 125 Atk every time it KOes a foe, which is common to happen. Imagine this combined with Sucker Punch, Brave Bird, Heat Wave and Superpower...

Until you realize that Heat Wave and, mosty important, Superpower are from PtHGSS Move Tutor, therefore, illegal with Overconfidence. Really, if the american eagle can learn Superpower by leveling up, why the italian crow can't learn even by breeding? This is the start of the bad news. Want more bad news: Sure. Honchkrow gained absolutely nothing useful aside the things mentioned earlier, while most of the metagame changed quite a lot. And while its 125/105 attacking stats are good, 100/52/52 defenses with only 71 Spe won't protect him from his jugdement by the new beastial attackers.

Overall, Honchkrow is solid. Just pick his strenghs and be happy before the opponent put you to sleep with fishes, capisce?

Possible movesets I can remember now:

Mafia chooses and you cannot disagree, capisce?

@Choice Scarf/Choice Band
Ability: Super Luck/Insomnia
Jolly Nature/Naive Nature
Evs: 252 Atk/4 Sp.Atk/252 Spe

~ Brave Bird
~ Trickery/Sucker Punch
~ Superpower
~ Pursuit/Heat Wave

71 base Spe is bad for a potent and frail attacker, but Choice Scarf can help a bit. The idea is attack until you die (it can occur earlier than you can think) and hopefully taking something with you. Your main STAB is Brave Bird, a strong and reliable kamikaze attack that can destroy great part of the metagame. The Dark STAB is trickier to decide, but the advantages of Trickery are really helpful when dealing with something like Hihidaruma, Goruggo and Ononokusu, as well others that have a high Atk but considerably low bulky. Sucker Punch is also here as you won't be the fastest thing around sometimes, even with a Scarf. Superpower takes care (most) of the Steel-types that may switch into our beloved mafia boss bird. Too bad it's illegal with Overconfidence. The last move is what you want to do. Pursuit destroys that darn boosting Psychics and Ghosts that CMed (or something else) in your previous pokémon face, while Heat Wave grants coverage and it's a nice way to damage physically defensive ones, as most of them are weak to Fire. Works with Choice Band too. If you opt for CB, then consider Sucker Punch and forget about Heat Wave, and put the Sp.Atk Evs somewhere else.

The boss is making a scheme about what he should do with the trash

@Life Orb
Ability: Super Luck
Naive Nature/Timid Nature
Evs: 4 Atk/252 Sp.Atk/252 Spe

~ Nasty Plot
~ Dark Pulse
~ Heat Wave
~ Superpower/HP Flying

Anyone that has read Smogon's analysis about Honchkrow know this high risk, high reward set. First, Nasty Plot. Then, attack as there's no tomorrow with your STAB Dark Pulse and everything else you have. Heat Wave is a must to defeat most of the Steels that infest the metagame. Superpower is for Blissey, Heatran and other things that doesn't take muck by DarkWave combo (Loved this name). If you have other things to handle the aforementioned treats, go HP Flying for STAB.

What happens if you mix Camorra and Yakuza?

@Life Orb
Ability: Super Luck/Insomnia
Naughty Nature/Naive Nature
Evs: 252 Atk/4 Sp.Atk/252 Spe

~ Brave Bird
~ Sucker Punch
~ Superpower
~ Heat Wave

A clone of Smogon's Life Orb Honchkrow. Need I to explain?

The song of the don. Blessed by St. Pavarotti

@Focus Sash/Leftovers
Ability: Insomnia
Jolly Nature
Evs: 4 HP/252 Def/252 Spe

~ Mean Look
~ Perish Song
~ Protect/Thunder Wave/Fly
~ Sucker Punch/Taunt/Confuse Ray

Yes. I am that stupid to put a defensive set in a paper like Honchkrow, but it can do it quite well. First Perish Song hoping for a switch, second Mean Look, then it's up to you (New York, New York. Hahaha!). You can Protect to stall, T-Wave to paralyze and Fly to stall and bypass Taunt. Lastly you can use Sucker Punch to attack a faster foe or Taunt to make him attack (don't be silly taunting all-out attackers, right?). Great pokémon to pair up with Shadow Tag Shandeera.

"Confident Crow" courtesy of MF HOUNDOOM
overconfidence (earthquake spiral) @ life orb
adamant - 252 atk, 252 spe, 4 hp
- brave bird
- sucker punch
- pursuit
- tailwind/roost/taunt/Mirror Move

Thanks MF HOUNDOOM for this set. I've understood the idea, and is the best set to use with Overconfidence. Brave Bird and Sucker Punch are excellent STABs to have. Pursuit is a unexpcted in Honchkrow, since the foe will almost always switch to avoid Sucker Punch. The last move is a tricky choice. Tailwind helps supporting your team and Honchkrow, Roost keeps Honch alive for some more turns (good luck), Taunt makes Sucker Punch effective and destroy non-attacking walls like Shuckle, and finally Mirror Move, a suggestion of myself, can be useful rebounding some not so effective attacks that were aimed at Honchkrow.

Feel free to discuss, post movesets and moderators, to close if there's something wrong.
I Prefer

Moves - Swagger
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch
- Brave Bird
Ability - Super Lucky
- (Hidden or Dream World) Moxie

You should start off with a Swagger and Foul Play afterwards. They usually hit themselves from confusion so you will do massive damage. If they manage to survive this you should use Sucker Punch but if they are stallers you are better off with Foul Play or Brave Bird. If down to low health and your faster just go all out Brave Bird and also has a boost from STAB.

252 defence
252 special defence
4 hp

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
You do realize they might NOT hit themselves, making that entire stratagy suck? I'd prefer using a non-gimmick set.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
If superpower and heat wave were accessible on moxiekrow, would the subroost set still have some merit? Sub is a gret move on honchkrow and i believe it should be included whenever honch has a free movslot.

Actually, Night Shade can be a useful move. When confronted by someone trying to set up subs on you with high defenses/resistant typing, also compatible with Moxie. Used Substitue/SP/Brave Bird/Night Shade to great success in UU a few months back, since been trying OU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)