Harvard Cracks DNA Storage, Crams 700 Terabytes of Data in a single gram

This is just amazing. I find it marvelous how this can be done. Not just this but how much technology has advanced in such a short time. 50 years ago 36 MB (the size of an angry birds app) was a vast amount of data. Whole countries could use this amount of room to run it self. Now we have Terrabytes being able to be stored in DNA.

This also got me thinking of aided memory. If you are unfamiliar with it, it is basically being able to improve your storage of thoughts or being able to upload it to something. I would see it being much easier now to do both due to we can now use organic mater for storage and our very cells themselves. I can't wait to see what more advancements will be made once I am in college.

lol more space for pron

In all seriousness, this is a hu-mong-us achievement. I knew we'd get to a point where computer storage would get a huge advancement, and this is definitely it. Imagine how fast simple laptops will be able to run with this much space.

lol more space for pron

In all seriousness, this is a hu-mong-us achievement. I knew we'd get to a point where computer storage would get a huge advancement, and this is definitely it. Imagine how fast simple laptops will be able to run with this much space.
wtf. mods i don't even care if you remove this. this post makes 0 sense.

If you can't get a job now you can rent parts of your body out for storage space!
This is just incredible. My only question is: how do you read this 700 TB (jesus that is a huge number) of information?
I am dumb

I'm kind of confused about this article. What real world application does this now have? It "sounds impressive" but all I saw was that "in the future we could record all of the earth for eternity".

canno

formerly The Reptile
So does that mean I can make my thumb-drive my actual thumb? :D

In all seriousness, this is pretty cool, although (unfortunately) I doubt we could end up being storage systems, just because iirc, the body will straight-up murder foreign DNA (my understanding of the body is very minimal though, so if that's wrong, ignore me).

breh

強いだね
How would this data be read in the first place? Otherwise, I have to wonder about the longevity of data stored in DNA (or, rather, the longevity of DNA in the first place). Memory storage devices are composed (more or less) entirely of fairly inert metals (well, inert in most conditions they have to endure); the same cannot be said of DNA.

I'm kind of confused about this article. What real world application does this now have? It "sounds impressive" but all I saw was that "in the future we could record all of the earth for eternity".
consider that the amount of data humanity produces daily has been growing at an alarming rate for decades: take a look at how much data we had 30 years ago, versus now. Now think of what you're looking at in another thirty years. Magnetic storage is feasible now, but as time goes on, it's going to become much less so: it's bulky, it's hates heat and humidity, one power outage and you're liable to lose god knows how many drives, etc.

This technology provides a much more dense, durable way to store data than hard drives and company. It's no plausible for personal computing, since random access (picking an arbitrary data point to start your read at) apparently isn't possible, but as an archival format? Beats the hell out of hard drives.

I also should point out that this article title is a bit sensationalist: what researches have done is, to my understanding, barely more than proof-of-concept: they have achieved a storage density that would scale up to what the title claims, but have actually managed to store ~660kb. this article provides a bit more level-headed and sensible take on the findings.

How would this data be read in the first place? Otherwise, I have to wonder about the longevity of data stored in DNA (or, rather, the longevity of DNA in the first place). Memory storage devices are composed (more or less) entirely of fairly inert metals (well, inert in most conditions they have to endure); the same cannot be said of DNA.
DNA from extinct organisms that died thousands of years ago can be sequenced and interpreted, but if I drop a hard drive, I'm liable to need a new pair of pants. Which sounds like a more volatile storage medium?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cool. But if you take out all the mentions of DNA and biology stuff, you get this:

"We've come up with a new format of file compression that can basically store EVERYTHING-- but it takes hours to compress/decompress."

I don't know about you, but I barely have the patience to wait the 30 seconds for an 800 MB zip file to decompress, let alone waiting hours for DNA.

I think Winrar will still have a lot more relevance to everyday users than WinDNA for a long time to come.

Still, very cool; it would be extremely useful for researches etc.

If computers and storage are constantly progressing and you can easily afford and store terabytes within something the size of a book or smaller, why do we need this?

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If computers and storage are constantly progressing and you can easily afford and store terabytes within something the size of a book or smaller, why do we need this?
consider that the amount of data humanity produces daily has been growing at an alarming rate for decades: take a look at how much data we had 30 years ago, versus now. Now think of what you're looking at in another thirty years. Magnetic storage is feasible now, but as time goes on, it's going to become much less so: it's bulky, it's hates heat and humidity, one power outage and you're liable to lose god knows how many drives, etc.

This technology provides a much more dense, durable way to store data than hard drives and company. It's no plausible for personal computing, since random access (picking an arbitrary data point to start your read at) apparently isn't possible, but as an archival format? Beats the hell out of hard drives.

I also should point out that this article title is a bit sensationalist: what researches have done is, to my understanding, barely more than proof-of-concept: they have achieved a storage density that would scale up to what the title claims, but have actually managed to store ~660kb. this article provides a bit more level-headed and sensible take on the findings.
At least give an effort to look like you're trying...

So does that mean I can make my thumb-drive my actual thumb? :D

In all seriousness, this is pretty cool, although (unfortunately) I doubt we could end up being storage systems, just because iirc, the body will straight-up murder foreign DNA
This (and the topic itself) reminds me of this book I read. I don't remember the name of it, but it was based in the future. The people in this book all had these little "chip" things that went in their brain. It was like a computer in your head. It was like artificial intelligence, but since it could read your brainwaves and thoughts, it literally was intelligent. It could sense a situation you were in and offer help (although it wasn't like if you got in a crash it would call 911 immediately; it was more like a selling machine that had constant media feeds.)

Anyway, one of the people who had these chips came from an old-style family, and the dad would let his daughter get the chip because he hated the idea of it. Eventually, he did let her get it. However, since she got it so late, it didn't function well with her body, and it was soon rejected, and she died.

Before you say, "wth does this have to do with OP?" take note that the chip killed some one. If we inserted files into our DNA, our body would go nuts and it'd cause internal harm, probably. And then, of course, since it's in DNA, one questions what could happen if a baby is conceived, and the mother has files stored in her DNA. What would happen to the baby?

Of course, the book was Sci-Fi, so rl situations like this could be completely different.

tl;dr It's dangerous and risky.

ok see here's the thing
they're not talking about implanting data, encoded in dna into human bodies or even living organisms at all (though biological computing is a really cool concept), but rather simply using DNA, independent of living organisms as a storage medium.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I think if you tried to cram extra information into a living being's DNA it'd probably have a rough time getting along, so yeah, just plain DNA as storage.

This is incredible. Genetics was always my favorite part of biology back in high school, and biology was always my favorite subject. The fact that in a decade or two, we could be looking at DNA-inspired technology and incredibly vast hard drives on everyday laptops is astounding.

At least give an effort to look like you're trying...
I couldn't find the part where it said "DNA storage is better in every way than hard drive storage. Hard drives can't be made bigger in capacity and smaller in size. We are running out of room for hard drives."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)