SM RU Hail To The King- Snorlax Balance

Mavis

Banned deucer.

Hello! My name is bkdrew, and I'd like to post an RMT for the first time of my career, because hey, why not? Below is one of my more well known balance teams, built around Snorlax. I put a lot of my experience and time poured into USM RU into crafting a nigh-perfect team with very few glaring weaknesses, and here's what my end result came out to being. Snorlax has been a favorite of mine to build with for a while, and I see no better time than now to get this team up and going.

My building process essentially centered around "what will best complement standard CurseLax? I need a bunch of fighting checks, some cleric prowess, and hazard setting." My first logical choice for this was Necrozma, as the tier's best available Psychic-type and a very good Stealth Rock setter, it made for a natural pairing alongside Snorlax for it's ability to beat back Fighting-types. After that, I sought out a secondary fighting-type check as well as something to take on Mega Blastoise, as it's Mega Launcher attacks do big damage to NecroLax. That, combined with my wish for a cleric, lead me to Florges. With my main core filled, I went about piecing the rest of the team together.

Rocky Helmet Mandibuzz was chosen with the specific speed investment of 208 to be able to outpace and KO Alolan Marowak with Foul Play, whilst being able to Roost on Adamant max-speed Machamp and stack up some Rocky Helmet damage. It also gave me the sturdy Metagross answer I was lacking, courtesy of Foul Play. Donphan was chosen as idealistic hazard removal, to have a sturdy check to Tyrantrum as well as Rhyperior. For the last slot, I filled in Choice Scarf Salazzle as speed control, able to force mindgames with it's STABs and throw out Toxic against things that wouldn't mind either STAB, such as Umbreon or Cresselia. Now, with that out of the way, let's get on to the juicy parts- the sets. Click on each Pokemon to reveal it's set in a Pokepaste!

SETS!

All bow down to god Snorlax, punisher of those without a Fighting-type or physically defensive Taunt user. Curselax is a potent force, able to set up and cleave through teams without a Bewear or Taunt Mandibuzz with ease. Body Slam was chosen over a more powerful STAB alternative to throw out early game to weaken checks as well as paralyze potential Fighting-type switch-ins, allowing an easy dispatch later in the game. I love this Pokemon, and have for years, making it an amazing choice for me to build with.

Florges was the easy choice for a cleric, thanks for it's abilities to pass Wishes to the team, keep itself healthy, and cure status for it's teammates as well as crush public enemies No. 1 and No. 2 for Snorlax, Bewear and Mandibuzz, with it's powerful Moonblast. Florges is pretty self expalantory, but the ability to take on Mega Blastoise, who has attacks that threaten everyone else on the team to varying degrees, is very nice. It can also bait in Metagross, for Mandibuzz to come in and get clean chip on.

Donphan was a natural fit for the team, with it's beefy physical defense and attack patching up the one glaring hole with the other five: powerful Rock-type attacks. Rapid Spin in tandem with cleric support keeps Donphan happy and healthy, clearing the field of Stealth Rocks for ease of Mandibuzz throughout the battle, as the two work together to bring down nearly every physical threat that gets in Snorlax's way. 44 Speed EVs are used because the creep war with other base-50s is damn well insane, so having a decent chunk of Speed enables Donphan to get the jump on opposing Registeel.

Necrozma was the second core member alongside Snorlax, and made a very good pairing, thrashing Fighting-types with a powerful Photon Geyser and decimating bulky resists to Normal with it's absolutely nuclear Shattered Psyche or denting Steel-types with Heat Wave. Setting up Stealth Rock was also a huge boom, as the chip in tandem with the amount of random residual damage the team outputs is great for wearing down foes. It also comes with the small benefit of resisting the one type good against Snorlax, so.. it's excellent.

Anyone familiar with USM RU in recent months should need no introduction to the defensive behemoth that is Mandibuzz. Providing another sturdy (no pun intended) check to Metagross and opposing CurseLax is no joke, and Mandibuzz is amazing at shutting down all sorts of miscellaneous threats, like Alolan Marowak and Arcanine, that can be a hassle for other members of the team. Taunt was chosen to be able to squarely beat opposing CurseLax, as well as force Seismic Toss out of Registeel and beat Bronzong handily, preventing Toxic and Stealth Rocks and forcing Registeel to take Rocky Helmet chip. The specific speed EV, 48 (resulting in 208 speed), placed Mandibuzz in territory for Taunting standard Milotic, outpacing and OHKOing jolly Alolan Marowak, and being able to roost on max speed adamant Machamp.

Another USM terror that shouldn't need any introduction, I rounded out the last team slot with Choice Scarf Salazzle to be able to revenge kill some threats I might otherwise struggle with, namely Shell Smash users, without having to say goodbye to Donphan's precious Sturdy. Obligatory STABs aside, Toxic was chosen to pressure the enemy team as Salazzle forced something out, and Hidden Power Grass was chosen to KO Barbaracle. Originally, I had Dragon Pulse for the two notable Dragon-types, Flygon and Noivern, but changed to Toxic for more overall utility.

SOME REPLAYS!
bkdrew vs Kink (ladder)
bkdrew vs Miyami~~ (friendlies discord tour)
bkdrew vs WhatUpJo2 (ladder)

SOME WEAK POINTS!
They're few and far in between, but even this team struggles with a couple key matchups. Namely the following:

CHOICE BAND GUNK SHOT PASSIMIAN
NU by usage but RU by heart, CB Gunk Shot Passimian has all the tools it needs to effectively dismantle the team without some very careful play. Gunk Shot obviously eliminates Florges as a switchin, and Mandibuzz can only take so many Close Combats before keeling over. A well-played Passimian can easily dismantle this team, but a bit of smart play from the user can prevent that.

NASTY PLOT SALAZZLE
+2 Acid Downpour deals a number to Snorlax and kills everything else. Around Plot Lazzle, I'm usually forced to keep Donphan at full health so as to kill it before it can claim anyone else, and if not, I usually end up losing one Pokemon to it before Snorlax can come in and kill it, or if it's heavily chipped, my own Salazzle can come in to finish the job. Regardless, it's a big threat, but nothing the team can't handle with a bit of careful play.

IMPORTABLE!
https://pokepast.es/b0758afa221a0c2c

Hope you guys enjoy, thanks for reading!​

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hey man solid squad

its not much but heres a couple thoughts/suggestions:

overcoat > big pecks & more speed on :mandibuzz:

idk if this was just an import error or whether u want to avoid def drops from araqs liquidation but preventing sand/hail chip and blocking sleep powder from rose seems more valuable overall. other than that i recommend you opt for more speed on your taunt + tox mandi. smacking a cb metagross with foul play b4 it can get another hit in seems more than worth it on this team composition. i like hitting 244 with taunt variants bc it allows you to outrun other mandi cress etc as well as tsareena. plus you can now block bd from ada puff. oh yea and while it doesnt make much of a difference you might as well reduce opposing fp damage too by going bold>impish.

hp ground > hp grass on :salazzle:

if you worry about the lazzle matchup you can try hp ground > hp grass. you still get enough chip on barb with the rest of the members so that lazzle can pick it off with hp ground at -1 other than lax but i dont see anyone risking the body slam paralysis twice which is the only member it could potentially get to +4 on (depending on the hp youre at with lax you curse as barb sets up which gives you two shots of paralysing - unless they have low kick). forgoing hp grass will worsen the rhyp and gastro matchup a bit but with florg i think this team can afford to play the long game with tox vs them. also you lose the ability to hardswitch into lazzle on the ssmash setup turn but thats a risky af play anyway. in any case hp grass is still perfectly fine but given that np lazzle gets to set up on 3 of your members without putting them in fblast ko range from your own lazzle i thought it was worth pointing out this option.

some hp investment on :necrozma:

some ev management can help prevent cc from passi to 2hko with rocks up which i can see being worth here seeing how lax sorta forces a cc after a curse. depending on much youre willing to spend on hp and defense you can hit some neat benchmarks that can make it so you avoid the ko from insect plate boosted first impression after stealth rock allowing necro to moonlight right back up, or survive +2 life orb boosted leaf blade from virizion after stealth rock and remove it with shattered psyche in return which lax will appreciate.

thats about it lmk what you think of these changes

cheers :psyglad:

Mavis

Banned deucer.
hey man solid squad

its not much but heres a couple thoughts/suggestions:

overcoat > big pecks & more speed on :mandibuzz:

idk if this was just an import error or whether u want to avoid def drops from araqs liquidation but preventing sand/hail chip and blocking sleep powder from rose seems more valuable overall. other than that i recommend you opt for more speed on your taunt + tox mandi. smacking a cb metagross with foul play b4 it can get another hit in seems more than worth it on this team composition. i like hitting 244 with taunt variants bc it allows you to outrun other mandi cress etc as well as tsareena. plus you can now block bd from ada puff. oh yea and while it doesnt make much of a difference you might as well reduce opposing fp damage too by going bold>impish.

hp ground > hp grass on :salazzle:

if you worry about the lazzle matchup you can try hp ground > hp grass. you still get enough chip on barb with the rest of the members so that lazzle can pick it off with hp ground at -1 other than lax but i dont see anyone risking the body slam paralysis twice which is the only member it could potentially get to +4 on (depending on the hp youre at with lax you curse as barb sets up which gives you two shots of paralysing - unless they have low kick). forgoing hp grass will worsen the rhyp and gastro matchup a bit but with florg i think this team can afford to play the long game with tox vs them. also you lose the ability to hardswitch into lazzle on the ssmash setup turn but thats a risky af play anyway. in any case hp grass is still perfectly fine but given that np lazzle gets to set up on 3 of your members without putting them in fblast ko range from your own lazzle i thought it was worth pointing out this option.

some hp investment on :necrozma:

some ev management can help prevent cc from passi to 2hko with rocks up which i can see being worth here seeing how lax sorta forces a cc after a curse. depending on much youre willing to spend on hp and defense you can hit some neat benchmarks that can make it so you avoid the ko from insect plate boosted first impression after stealth rock allowing necro to moonlight right back up, or survive +2 life orb boosted leaf blade from virizion after stealth rock and remove it with shattered psyche in return which lax will appreciate.

thats about it lmk what you think of these changes

cheers :psyglad:
yeah big pecks over overcoat was just a "fuck, didn't change the ability" thing. i changed the auxiliary moves on lazzle to foul play/hp ground, to keep the positive MU against barb. bopped 44 defense EVs onto necro to live +2 leaf blade, doing so after rocks is kind of an eh seeing as necro won't be tasked with dealing with viriz unless for some reason i was super careless with my mandi

ty for help :blobthumbsup:

Yo what's up buddy :). Looking at your team I'd say it's extremely solid and a great representation of Bulky Offense for this tier's standards but i have a couple of minor changes that could definitely make your life easier in play.

Big Changes

>

This is honestly the biggest change i'm gonna suggest here. Rhyperior eases your lazzle matchup a shit ton and provides a solid Z-User if you run the SD set.
Rhyperior (M) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 136 HP / 56 Atk / 208 SpD / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

slowbro.png
>

Slowbro takes on offensive fighters better for you which you can really struggle against. Slowbro also provides a Bulky Water in the same slot which is really good role compression compared to Necrozma. Rindobro can also take on Viriz a little bit better for the team.

Small Changes

Since you don't have Donphan anymore, Defog Mandibuzz would be a pretty ideal choice for you as removal.
Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost

Completely optional one here but Pixie Plate Florges does the same thing as standard and hits a lot harder.
Florges @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Synthesis
- Wish

Team With Edits :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)