VGC Hail Team help

Hi trainers!

I'm fairly new in the VGC format, and I need help building my hail team.
I do have a rule that I like to follow when building teams: NO LEGENDARIES! Because legendaries are banned in this format, I expanded this rule to NO UBs/TAPUs! This rule, although it creates a fun challenge, is the reason I'm having trouble building my team, as it denies the use of the most common cores of the current metagame.
I based my sets and spreads on the most common/used for each Pokémon, which means that they're the most standard and can change at any time if needed.

This is my team so far, and the first 4 Pokémon seem to be working just fine:

Ninetales-Alola @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Warning
Level: 50
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Freeze-Dry
- Aurora Veil
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

Standard Alolan Ninetales set. Snow Warning is a no-brainer, as it allows me to set up hail immediately. I chose Focus Sash because Ninetales isn't really bulky, and it guarantees me an extra turn to attack. Max speed and sp.attack, plus a Timid Nature, make a fast special sweeper. I prefer Freeze-Dry over Blizzard simply because of the amazing coverage it provides, especially against water types such as Pelipper and Gyarados. Dazzling Gleam for STAB, and Protect for, well... protection. The only move I may change is Aurora Veil, it hasn't been as useful as I'd imagine.

Sandslash-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Protect

No hail team is complete without the Ninetales/Sandslash core. Once again, standard Alolan Sandslash set, Life orb, Adamant and max attack and speed (which is doubled in hail thanks to his ability, Slush Rush), make it a really fast and powerful physical sweeper. Icicle Crash is Sandslash's strongest ice type physical move, Iron Head is a powerful STAB steel type move, and Earthquake helps against steel and fire types that threat Ninetales and itself.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Protect

Alolan Marowak seems to fit any team really well, and this one is no exception. Has great synergy with Gyarados, thanks to his ability Lightning Rod. I chose bulk over speed because Marowak is not fast and it helps against Trick Room teams. Max attack and Adamant Nature, plus its exclusive item, Thick Club, make it a really strong physical sweeper. Shadow Bone and Flare Blitz are its strongest STAB moves, and Bonemerang is a great coverage move aswell. May consider Earthquake instead of Bonemerang if I find a replacement for Sandslash's Earthquake.

Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Taunt
- Protect

Standard support Gyarados. Max HP and Sitrus Berry help it live longer, Intimidate protects the team against physical threats, and his powerful Adamant Waterfall destroys most ground and rock-types. Taunt helps deny Trick Room setters. Ice Fang seems obsolete with so many ice types on my team, so I may change it to Thunder Wave. EV spread also may change.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Recover
- Protect

Gyarados and Milotic are very similar, but Milotic seems bulkier and is a special attacker, which is why I included both of them in my team. This set is really focused on Defense and survivability, with a Bold Nature, max hp and defense, Leftovers and Recover. My problem with having this Pokémon in my team is that it seems unecessary, since I have a similar pokémon already, so I'll say Gyarados and Milotic are competing for a spot in my team, depending on the changes I may do to it eventually.

Arcanine @ Firium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Timid Nature
- Burn Up
- Snarl
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Arcanine/Milotic is also a popular core in VGC, but Arcanine is here as a place holder more than anything. It has a standard special set, with Timid Nature, max sp.attack, and a potential Z-Burn Up. Will-o-Wisp and Intimidate help neutralize any physical threat, and Snarl helps with coverage and lowering defenses. I don't believe this Pokémon,or atleast with the current set, will prevail in my team for much longer. We'll see.

As you can tell, I'm having trouble with the last 2 Pokémon.I've tried Toxapex and considered Gastrodon, but none seem to help my team. I believe an electric type would help, but, without the Tapu Koko/Alolan Raichu core, I can't find any reliable options.
Any suggestions on moves/items/ev spreads are also appreciated.
Remember: NO UBs/TAPUs!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Its kind of hard helping you with the restriction of no UB's or Tapus. Gastrodon seems like a good replacement for gyarados as all of your other mons complement it, and it needs the sitrus berry or some other form of health recovery to truly shine

Its kind of hard helping you with the restriction of no UB's or Tapus. Gastrodon seems like a good replacement for gyarados as all of your other mons complement it, and it needs the sitrus berry or some other form of health recovery to truly shine
Thank you for the response. I actually got a team together that works quite well: I replaced Arcanine and Milotic with Mandibuzz and Magnezone. I made Gyarados full offensive with DD and Waterium Z and gave Taunt to Mandibuzz.
I've been trying this team in Showdown and peaked at ~1250 so I'd say my challenge had some success! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)