Guide to Stall in BW OU

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The English names have been released, so you might want to update the article to include those. I'm just saying.

cursed bodys (or whatever the english name is now) is a better ability than water absorb on jellicent, especially on stall where it can force switches or be a last desparation attempt (30% chance, 51% if hit twice!) to stop a threat that is currently sweeping your team. i think i'd mention that as the key ability.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Two minor edits:

You mentioned Slowbro has 80 base special attack when it is actually 100.
You should not put Blissey's Serene Grace ability in Bold print when it is obviously useless.

Also, you might want to mention that with Taunt and Recover, Deoxys-D counters Calm Mind Reuniclus, who can potentially pose some big problems for stall teams.

Well, it's not two months yet and I want to see this article finished, so think of this as a partial bump lulz...

However, I believe Quagsire deserves a mention as a physical wall, even though it's stats are really nothing to gape at, it's ability: unaware, is certainly worthy of mention. Using this ability, it can Curse + Recover stall off physical attackers that do not carry grass type attacks.

Also, I'd recommend you hire a GP checker to run through this article, since there are several major mistakes that would prevent it from being published, the wording on some of your sentences are kinda weird, not to mention your mstakes (how you spelt it, I think...)

Well, hope I helped.

Owing to to a large amount of school work, I wasn't able to add much content or update the existing stuff. However, now that my holidays have started, I can start adding more content. Along with it, I am also correcting grammatical / prose errors present in the content as of now, for it will make things much easier when it comes to the GP stage.

EDIT: All right, major content update. I have updated the existing content with the English names, fixed gramatical errors and weird prose, and added more content wherever necessary upto Gliscor. Hopefully, I shall update the rest tomorrow, add a few more walls, and get started on Entry Hazards.

EDIT 2: Added Quagsire and Chansey.

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I can definitely help with this article if you need me.
I have a very successful stall team that wins about 95% of battles.

So if you need any help, I'm here :)

Just noticed this:

'However, Dusclops's poor offensive stats limit it to using Night Shade for offense. Its vulnerability to Taunt means that set-up sweepers such as Thundurus can Taunt Dusclops and proceed to set up on it, undermining its defensive capabilities. Dusclops also has to rely upon Pain Split for recovery, which, at times, might not be reliable. Still, the ability to stall out offensive threats such as Starmie makes Dusclops an excellent choice for any stall team.'

Um, resttalk?
And seriously, why isn't Forretress on here? He can set up all 3 entry hazards as well as rapid spinning. He also has higher defense and (arguably) better typing than Ferrothorn.

Forretress will be included in the Entry Hazards section.

If Dusclops runs RestTalk, it will be used as setup bait by Pokemon such as Thundurus and Gyarados. Pain Split+Night Shade at least gives it a chance to wear down the opponent. It also allows it to heal and wear down the opponent at the same time, and when considering Dusclops's poor base 40 HP, Pain Split is the better choice. Even though RestTalk is viable and helps Dusclops against status inducers, the ubiquity of set-up sweepers with Taunt make RestTalk Dusclops a bad choice for stall teams.

Forretress will be included in the Entry Hazards section.

If Dusclops runs RestTalk, it will be used as setup bait by Pokemon such as Thundurus and Gyarados. Pain Split+Night Shade at least gives it a chance to wear down the opponent. It also allows it to heal and wear down the opponent at the same time, and when considering Dusclops's poor base 40 HP, Pain Split is the better choice. Even though RestTalk is viable and helps Dusclops against status inducers, the ubiquity of set-up sweepers with Taunt make RestTalk Dusclops a bad choice for stall teams.
I'm not calling the viability of it, I'm saying it doesn't 'have to rely on' Pain Split, as Resttalk is available. You might want to mention it.

Alongside dusclops night shade you might want to stick Sismic-toss too, normal types in OU are few but even though is a rare sight you might wanna damage blissey and eviolite chansey if it gets down to that.

You may also make a short description about particular sets that are useful/or have a specific niche in stall teams and use pokes that are not always seen as "stallish"; examples may be Sub roost Zapdos, TormentTran, etc.

People need to understand why play with stall in the first place, give the new players a reason to do stall instead of just play hyper offense teams; show them the pros and cons about the playstyle and how stall teams normally deal with proeminent threats; like with stat up sweepers shuffling them around or using things like perish song celebi and even curse spiritomb to deal with that "last mon".

Actually moves that are useful in stall in general may be a good idea to add, things like hazards, roar/whirwind, haze, perish song etc. and their specific jobs in the team.

And finally this is far from the end, but remember to make a 'sample team' so the future readers can understand better how a stall team looks like and operates in the end.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Dusclops can stall out Chansey and Blissey with Toxic and Pain Split, the latter in particular helping a lot, unless these Pokemon carry Toxic. Running Seismic Toss just for hitting them would be redundant.

Zapdos, Heatran etc will be listed in detail under the "Support" section.

The current introduction, while pretty short, gives a short overview of what stall is and how such a playstyle is used in a battle. I shall flesh it out later, and your some of your suggestions shall come in handy then.
Stay assured, the guide won't be complete without 2-3 sample stall teams, complete with tips on how to build them.

@Meru: Thanks for pointing it out. The article has been editted accordingly.

cursed bodys (or whatever the english name is now) is a better ability than water absorb on jellicent, especially on stall where it can force switches or be a last desparation attempt (30% chance, 51% if hit twice!) to stop a threat that is currently sweeping your team. i think i'd mention that as the key ability.
This. Cursed body is far better than water absorb, especially on Taunt WoW Jellicent. It allows you to take on Mixtar crunching for the defense drop very easily, it can take out a sweeper's coverage move (for instance, coming in on NP Thunderus's HP Ice), and it proves especially useful against mono-attackers, where once it activates you can taunt them and force them to struggle, stops Dragon Tail/restalkers, the list goes on. Water absorb isn't sorely missed, since you should have more than one Pokemon on a stall team that can take Rain-boosted water attacks.

For rain-stall, Parasect is a beast. It can switch in on Ferrothorn, take pretty much anything due to its 4x resist to grass and terrible speed and the Spore away for free. From there, Sub, Leech Seed, and stall stuff out. With Dry Skin, Leftovers, and Leech Seed, Parasect replenishes plenty of health every turn, and with proper prediction, can Substitute to stall out most things not named Cloyster.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I really think Tangrowth should be added to this list. Physical Defense greater than Skarmory, with fantastic 100/110 offensive stats and Regenerator. Walls and kills Gliscor and Landorus with HP Ice. Sleep Powder is amazingly potent with the new sleep mechanics. Completely underrated poke.

Too bad I missed out Tangrowth, Meru. Thanks for pointing it out, and once I have tested it out to understand clearly how it functions, I will add it to the list of Walls.

As far as the article is concerned, I have added Porygon2, and started the Entry Hazards section.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think it's notable to add that despite being seemingly impractical on such a defensively-oriented team such as stall, most stall-based teams have at least one "bulky-offensive" Pokemon on their teams to surpass other defensive teams. As a matter of fact, a small section or mention explaining the advantages of putting at least one offensive Pokemon on the team should be utilized. Choice Specs Politoed is an example of a Pokemon that can absolutely fit on a stall team and provide both defensive and offensive support (in terms of Drizzle and a valuble Water typing).

I think it's notable to add that despite being seemingly impractical on such a defensively-oriented team such as stall, most stall-based teams have at least one "bulky-offensive" Pokemon on their teams to surpass other defensive teams. As a matter of fact, a small section or mention explaining the advantages of putting at least one offensive Pokemon on the team should be utilized. Choice Specs Politoed is an example of a Pokemon that can absolutely fit on a stall team and provide both defensive and offensive support (in terms of Drizzle and a valuble Water typing).
5 walls / stallers + Scarf user / bulky setup sweeper is a commonly-used skeleton for many stall teams. I have listed these extra bits to add, such as your suggestion, AG, as well as black-cotton's. I am currently focussed on getting Walls, Entry hazards, and Threats to Stall done. Once these sections are done, I can focus on the more instructive parts of this article. Thanks for pointing it out anyway.

Wobbuffet
Base Stats- 190 / 33 / 58 / 33 / 58 / 33
Typing-Psychic
Ability-Shadow Tag / Telepathy

Between its stat spread, movepool and unique ability, Wobbuffet can counter (excuse the pun) just about every threat in the metagame. Even though base 58 defenses apiece are nothing to write home about, Wobbuffet's gigantic base HP stat in conjuction with its short but sufficient support movepool consisting of Counter, Mirror Coat, Tickle, Encore and Safeguard, and the ability Shadow Tag make Wobbuffet an extremely annoying Pokemon to face. With its gigantic HP stat, Wobbuffet can switch in a wide range of attacks and promptly revenge kill the opponent. With Tickle and Encore, Wobbuffet can also help a teammate set up, and, once it has switched out, force the opponent to switch.

However, Wobbuffet's biggest weakness is its vulnerability to Taunt. Taunt users such as Thundurus completely shut down Wobbuffet, rendering it useless and forcing it to switch. Powerful attackers such as Chandelure and Darmanitan can also break through Wobbuffet's defenses easily, OHKOing it. Still, Wobbuffet is a welcome addition to any stall team, for with its movepool and ability, it can bog down the opponent and make it extremely difficult to break through your stall.
Taunt doesn't affect Counter or Mirror Coat.

perhaps mention that when two stall teams meet, things can get hairy. That's why it tends to be a good idea to always include a stallbreaker in a stall team, such as gliscor or jellicent. Reuniclus is also a massive threat to other stall teams, so mention unorthodox pokemon like spiritomb (also a spinblocker) to patch up your weaknesses. Whimsicott is also highly effective on stall teams. Mabye also a mention of the less common rain stall?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)