Pokémon Golisopod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emergency Exit makes setup on this thing pretty much a lost cause. First Impression is one of the best priority moves in the game so take advantage of what Golisopod can do that nothing else can. His shitty ability can even be used to your advantage. Sure that enemy mon may have forced you out and robbed you of your attack for the turn but now it's staring down a Dugtrio / other trapping mon and is about to die. Who's laughing now?

Definitely not an OU mon but still pretty cool.

Emergency Exit makes setup on this thing pretty much a lost cause. First Impression is one of the best priority moves in the game so take advantage of what Golisopod can do that nothing else can. His shitty ability can even be used to your advantage. Sure that enemy mon may have forced you out and robbed you of your attack for the turn but now it's staring down a Dugtrio / other trapping mon and is about to die. Who's laughing now?

Definitely not an OU mon but still pretty cool.
I'm expecting UU with use in OU personally. I want my fren to be good tbh, this guy looks so cool :[

Emergency Exit would've been a pretty cool ability if it activated at the end of the turn.
Being such a slow pokemon, unless you are using first impression / sucker punch, you will take the hit before attacking, and end up switching out without doing anything.
Its too situational and unpredictable.
But it is rather fun to use

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I figured I'd also post this info in here since it's extremely relevant to the viability of Golisopod: I've discovered that if you drop below 50% on entry due to hazards, Emergency Exit procs. This is a huge hit, as Golisopod is basically forced to switch in on rocks twice before it can come back in if you're forced out in the 51-75% range. You also can't use Golisopod as any form of Rkiller while it's in this range since you can't force it back in off EE.

I figured I'd also post this info in here since it's extremely relevant to the viability of Golisopod: I've discovered that if you drop below 50% on entry due to hazards, Emergency Exit procs. This is a huge hit, as Golisopod is basically forced to switch in on rocks twice before it can come back in if you're forced out in the 51-75% range. You also can't use Golisopod as any form of Rkiller while it's in this range since you can't force it back in off EE.

Everyone I've talked to said that Stealth Rocks doesnt activate EE in the actual game

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Everyone I've talked to said that Stealth Rocks doesnt activate EE in the actual game
Willing to test this further just to be 100% certain. Though I believe Ultimario would have done some research on that seeing his post above.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I don't know if anyone else posted about this, but apparently if the opponent uses U-Turn on Golisopod and activates Emergency Exit, the switching out property of U-Turn is nullified. I assume that this also happens with Volt Switch. If this was already covered, sorry. Just recently experienced this and wanted to post about it.

On that vein, I am really enjoying Banded Liquidation / First Impression hitting like a truck. It's actually opportune to take advantage of Emergency Exit if you expect First Impression to score a huge hit without OHKOing so that you're not locked into it and forced to confer an opportunity for the foe to switch/set up/get a free hit. Pretty high risk but can be rewarding if played properly.

I don't know if anyone else posted about this, but apparently if the opponent uses U-Turn on Golisopod and activates Emergency Exit, the switching out property of U-Turn is nullified. I assume that this also happens with Volt Switch. If this was already covered, sorry. Just recently experienced this and wanted to post about it.
In my eyes he keeps getting better and better. Also, I confirmed ingame that you can re-use EE if you are healed to full by ZParting Shot, which btw, ignores Taunt. Meaning that either Persian-A or Type:Null (or its evo) are good partners for it to increase the longevity and use the ability further.

On that vein, I am really enjoying Banded Liquidation / First Impression hitting like a truck. It's actually opportune to take advantage of Emergency Exit if you expect First Impression to score a huge hit without OHKOing so that you're not locked into it and forced to confer an opportunity for the foe to switch/set up/get a free hit. Pretty high risk but can be rewarding if played properly.
I've used life orb and insect plate and they both did well but i'm tempted to try band now. I can see how it would work well. Hugely powerful priority in first impression. Strong healing and damage in leech life and so on. The only thing is being stuck in banded first impression. The ability to revenge kill setup mons and general damage output cant be ignored though.

Last edited:
Why does the OP say Emergency Exit won`t activate again if you are healed? That`s false, at least ingame (maybe it`s different on Showdown, in which case they need to fix this). Go to the Battle Tree or any trainer you haven`t fought yet. Use Golisopod and spam False Swipe or something that won`t get the enemy killed until they proc Emergency Exit and select to call someone that can do a ZParting Shot and use it to call Golisopod back and heal him. Repeat the above and notice how Emergency Exit will proc again. Why are we telling people that it`s only once per battle and won`t activate once again once used even if healed?

In the Persian-A thread someone also came in to say that ZParting Shot won`t work on Golisopod because even if healed the ability won`t proc again. This is missinformation, one that is easily corroborated ingame by anyone. Because this keeps getting told by so many people I actually went and tested it again just to see if this was some weird bug I got once...it`s not. If you get healed you can use Emergency Exit again, at least with ZParting Shot. Please change the sentence in the OP because it`s not true and a lot of people are believing it.

Why does the OP say Emergency Exit won`t activate again if you are healed? That`s false, at least ingame (maybe it`s different on Showdown, in which case they need to fix this). Go to the Battle Tree or any trainer you haven`t fought yet. Use Golisopod and spam False Swipe or something that won`t get the enemy killed until they proc Emergency Exit and select to call someone that can do a ZParting Shot and use it to call Golisopod back and heal him. Repeat the above and notice how Emergency Exit will proc again. Why are we telling people that it`s only once per battle and won`t activate once again once used even if healed?

In the Persian-A thread someone also came in to say that ZParting Shot won`t work on Golisopod because even if healed the ability won`t proc again. This is missinformation, one that is easily corroborated ingame by anyone. Because this keeps getting told by so many people I actually went and tested it again just to see if this was some weird bug I got once...it`s not. If you get healed you can use Emergency Exit again, at least with ZParting Shot. Please change the sentence in the OP because it`s not true and a lot of people are believing it.
Fixed this. Should be good now, I think-please let me know if something else is wrong with my mechanical understanding of EE.

EDIT: Also updating the sets to include Choice Band.

Man, there's been so much confusion over this mon
I think it might be that some interaction with Sitrus Berry got confused with the entire ability. If I`m understanding right, it might be that Sitrus Berry activates and heals Golisopod so his ability won`t trigger in that instance but I haven`t tested this. I`m testing ingame whether Leech Life also allows you to reuse EE like ZParting Shot does, cause the rumor that if Golisopod heals back up it won`t trigger must have started from something, right?

Edit: Leech Life also works...so I`m lost on how the rumor that if you heal over 50% after using EE once it won`t happen again began. I won`t try the Sitrus Berry approach because that seems unrealistic, I don`t think anyone would actually use that instead of everything else available. Still, feel free to try it out. I`m going to sleep and when I wake I might test if Leftovers also work, just trying to debunk as many rumors as possible (though if someone else wants to do it, feel free. Less work for me XD).

PS: ZParting Shot ignores Taunt, so you can`t be stopped from healing someone unless killed before you do so. Just something to have in mind if you decide to pair Golisopod with a ZPS user.

Last edited:
I think it might be that some interaction with Sitrus Berry got confused with the entire ability. If I`m understanding right, it might be that Sitrus Berry activates and heals Golisopod so his ability won`t trigger in that instance but I haven`t tested this. I`m testing ingame whether Leech Life also allows you to reuse EE like ZParting Shot does, cause the rumor that if Golisopod heals back up it won`t trigger must have started from something, right?

Edit: Leech Life also works...so I`m lost on how the rumor that if you heal over 50% after using EE once it won`t happen again began. I won`t try the Sitrus Berry approach because that seems unrealistic, I don`t think anyone would actually use that instead of everything else available. Still, feel free to try it out. I`m going to sleep and when I wake I might test if Leftovers also work, just trying to debunk as many rumors as possible (though if someone else wants to do it, feel free. Less work for me XD).

PS: ZParting Shot ignores Taunt, so you can`t be stopped from healing someone unless killed before you do so. Just something to have in mind if you decide to pair Golisopod with a ZPS user.
I'm pretty sure healing back up with Leech life can re trigger EE also it's just rumor, listen to the people who actually did some testing with the mon

So I was playing on the battle tree, and a Tauros used rock slide on my Golisopod and it dropped to below 50%...but i didnt switch out. And i still had 2 teammates remaining. Do you think maybe sheer force interacts with emergency exit in certain ways? So confusing

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So I was playing on the battle tree, and a Tauros used rock slide on my Golisopod and it dropped to below 50%...but i didnt switch out. And i still had 2 teammates remaining. Do you think maybe sheer force interacts with emergency exit in certain ways? So confusing
Sheer Force (only moves affected by this ability, e.g. Rock Slide) negates the ability from activating. This also includes items such as Red Card and Eject Button.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I haven't gotten a chance to use this mon but I think pairing it with something to take advantage of Tapu Lele is probably pretty important. Psychic Terrain really neuters a lot of Golisopods best attribute (strong priority on a slow mon), so either having your own Terrain setter to offset or a setup mon that beats Lele seems like the way to go.

I haven't gotten a chance to use this mon but I think pairing it with something to take advantage of Tapu Lele is probably pretty important. Psychic Terrain really neuters a lot of Golisopods best attribute (strong priority on a slow mon), so either having your own Terrain setter to offset or a setup mon that beats Lele seems like the way to go.
Tapu Bulu is great support for this mon since it can help out with the Bug weakness also Grassy Terrain is good for a little bit of recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)