ORAS OU Goliath Beetle

Been lurking, stuck floating 1400-1500, actually had success that was consistent with a team. Decided I'm not lurking anymore. Without further ado:

Goliath Beetle (Heracross-Mega) (M) @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

The monster itself; A criminally powerful wallbreaker sitting on a stupendous base 185 atk, and pairs this with respectable defenses that allow for trading blows with a variety of OU threats. Substitute is taken over swords to get more mileage out of momentum gained against threats, allowing me to come in on people's weaviles, bisharps, etc. and punish switches by getting a free kill or damage from behind the wall. This and Azumarill were the core I built around.

Edit: I have no idea what's wrong with me. Why did I think substitute put in more work?? Testing put my wild theories to bed, where they belong.

Innocent Scum (Klefki) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Foul Play
- Magnet Rise
- Thunder Wave

Prankster T-Wave speaks for itself in terms of practical value, but I'll ramble anyway. Walls and neuters tons of major threats, and gives me an out to the vast majority of fairy/dragon/ice threats that click for major damage against the stars of my show. Notable threats, if you need names, are Lati twins, Mega Garde, and anything with a scarf besides the threats I turn Seismitoad's way (Scarf Lando, Driller, etc.) and/or body-bag with Azumarill. Critical considering the low speed of my big hitters.

Edit: Foul Play was added over Play Rough. Hits the Lati twins harder, punishes switch-in Excadrill, prevents mega scizor from setting up safely, and from becoming set-up fodder for priority physical mons in general.

Criminal Scum (Weavile) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Weavile is an absolute monster that leverages Knock Off like an indiscriminate war-hammer, crushing switch-ins, destroying typical pursuit victims, and collecting the occasional Heatran, T-Tar, or Bisharp kill off of low kick. It's incredible speed also offers an important service alongside klefki to my team, giving me a mon that helps with my speed tier problems.

Edit: I've taken up Ice Shard here. Provides critical priority which lets me take on scarfed lando and put critical damage on set-up threats. More importantly, Seismitoad, Azu, an M-Hera mean I have just about zero need for coverage on things like Heatran, T-Tar, an Bisharp to begin with.

Slippy the Toad (Seismitoad) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Not necessarily a common selection in OU, but it really ties the team together nicely, walling all the physical threats that actually put screws to the crew. Takes the likes of Lando and Tflame and friends on really easily, and the ability to wall the typical Mega Manectric set and click knock off to collect items in situations where Weavile would be too obvious (Eviolite). Rocks was a utility I couldn't find space for, either.

Edit: This guy got a new and further improved move-set that functions a lot better in his roll. Earthquake, despite the nature, beats out Earth Power and allows me to Eradicate fast electrics and Heatrans, while being able to much better threaten Drills and Bisharps I face. Hidden Power Fire allows me to 1v1 Scizor variants of all shapes and sizes. In short, as a wall and fall-back pivot, this mon does a much better job now.

Pechikou (Azumarill) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Another slugger monster. Takes hits and makes returns on mons Heracross really can't, like Mega Garde, Mega Zard X, M Diancie, an several other threats. The priority doesn't hurt anything, either. Because of the way it cleaned up a lot of my major primary of mons I was concerned with using M Hera, they were the initial core that this was based on.

Edit: Banded scores some kills I need guaranteed. Simple as. I don't know why I went against my better judgment there, and you guys picked up on it immediately.

Joey (Latios) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Roost

Everyone else was in, and I only had a few final wants/desires. Hazard Clear? Check. Scary SpAtk button to click? Draco Check. Something to click on Scizor or Ferrothorn in passing? Check. A button to click on M Venusaur besides Pin Missile doesn't hurt either, and Levitate adds a ground resist.

Edit: Moved Hidden Power Fire over to Seismitoad, being that it can more liberally stay in against a Scizor, and still often scores the 2HKO (variant depending) regardless. More importantly, I realized how much I wanted Roost on this thing. Being a switch-in mon, and the fact that such a grounded team literally can't handle opposing spikes, so riding without Defog is not an option. I tried the previously suggested Skarmory set over Klefki only to be immediately disappointed. Losing priority on the Yellow color made dealing with set-up sweepers even more precarious, and Foul Play accomplishes far, far more than Iron Head. Not to mention being it made my Zard X match-up demonstrably worse, being that I lacked a reliable yellow color solution for the +1 and was put in a situation where I had to try to catch it with Azu or Lati with an aggressive double.

All in all, I feel like a made a BO/Balance team that doesn't suffer as harshly as most from speedier teams and revenge killers, and really covers its OU bases and gives M Hera plenty of time to shine. This felt like progress, so I figured I'd open it up to alternate opinions and see what more experience players would argue is weak here.

Fire away.

Last edited:
Have you tried out CB Azu? I just think that with your current set, CB azu would be better than AV since you gain more mileage with that extra damage.

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey, interesting team, megaHera + klefki works really well
Your team does not have guaranteed income of mega Metagross, beats toad with GK, and mega hera with zen headbutt, for everyone else just use meteor smash, so I recommend putting tankchomp over Toad, it's really annoying to gross and mega mega zor, talonflame.
here are the set
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 164 Def / 104 Spe
impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
It has enough speed to overcome Jolly Breloom and beat him with 2 fire blast

suggest putting choice band to Azumarill offers you a great wallbreaking, beats clef that is really boring for your team, it puts a lot of pressure to the offensive team, :)
the set here:
Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Aqua Jet

I hope I have helped you, good luck with the team, good day :)

I like CB Azu; definitely should consider it. I don't know about Chomp thou; doesn't wall fast electrics as well because taking HP Ice is unappreciated, and opposing azumarills might really hurt. Being able to prankster t-wave Mgross offers wiggle room in dealing with it, although he does admittedly get at least one kill when I'm put in that scenario. That BST 700 monster is definitely a threat, though.

Hey Vincent210 nice team , Mega Her across is my 2nd favourite Pokemon , but underrated. By the way , back to rate ,

First of all , you looks very weak to Charizard Mega X , as it can deal with your whole team , although you have Azumarill for it , but its unreliable and hazard stacking can weaken it to get swept from Zard X. So , I think Landorus-t > Seismitoad , Landorus-t gives you intimidate support and also helps in countering Mega Metagross , although you can twave them using Klefki but Klefki isn't reliable as it dies in early game most of the times. Also Landorus-t helps you against Sand teams , which remove the pressure from Azumarill to deal with it.

If you are going with this change , you will lack a reliable Scald Switch-in , so Recover > HP Fire on Latios , your team isn't comfortable against Keldeo , Recover also helps in dealing with Keldeo , by giving Latios reliability.

At last , as everybody suggested , AV Azumarill isn't really good in this team , so
Belly Drum / Choice Band Azumarill > Assault Vest Azumarill. Choice Banded Azumarill gives you a wall breaker which helps you in clearing the way for Mega Her across or Weavile for the sweep. I will argue you to run Belly Drum Azumarill , as you lacks a set up sweeper and its one of the best wincon in the game , you can also use its Sitrus Berry as a recovery option in some matches by don't setting up , as it makes it a better Rain and Weavile Counter.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Atk
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Aqua Jet

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Summary :
>

[Set]
[Set]

Hope I helped :].....

Hi Vincent210

Cool team here, I like Mheracross a lot these days and I appreciate you using it.

Mheracross is a very antimeta threat and right now you can exploit to the maximum level the inability of opposing landorus-t to touch it. The thing i'm concerned with is that without swords dance it can't do his job at his best. I'm explaining better: Mheracross is very good against stall and opposing fat builds, but it doesn't perform that well against offense, that is the most prominent playstyle right now. This lead your matchup against stall to an awkward spot, because you don't successfully beat stall and it doesn't perform perfectly against offense by it's nature. I like the choice of Mhera because Landorus-t is on the rise and right now it is at his maximum usage. Every time that lando come in, you have a free switch for your Mhera to destroy something on the opposing offensive team. So yeah, I like it, but i'd try SD > Sub

Secondly, I really like Pursuit Weavile + Mheracross to remove the lati and they have an all around good synergy together. I think that you need ice shard tho, and I suggest you to remove low kick for this matter.

Your team has anyway counterplay to the most major threats in the tier: Offensive Fairies, Dragons, Set up sweeper, Sand, Rain and electrics.

I feel like Charizard Y could be annoying, especially if paired with pursuit trappers because Latios can be easily trapped and you have no recovery on it. You also have issues if Charizard Y is paired with Keldeo, because Latios is again your unique switchins (ok, you have Azu, but everyone knows Scald is broken and because of that Azu is not that reliable as a check to Keldeo). Azu is also good against Zard Y + Sand offense, because it can take Solar Beam and retaliate back, but it can consistently be the answer to that archetype. Roost on Latios could mitigate that but I really don't know what is better to drop between Defog and Hp fire.

Your team is also weak as fuck against Mscizor, especially the offensive variant, who can easily 6-0 you at +2. While there aren't that many Scizor these days, you could try Foul Play > Play Rough on your Klefki to avoid it setting up in front of you. Therefore, if an opponent look at your team, it is kinda obvious that you carry HP fire on Latios, seeing how it can be your unique answer to that threat, so you can assume that he is going to scout for it. I recommend you to keep hp fire hidden from your opponent if it has Mscizor, that way you can catch it off guard later on the match, when he think you don't carry it.

The last problem I see with your team is that it is grounded as fuck. While Lando can't touch Mhera, Mhera doesn't have recovery and it can't be your unique answer to ground type mons, especially seeing how offensive chomper is common. It's sad to suggest Landorus but I think you kinda need it to mitigate the Scizor weakness and the lack of reliable ground switchins. A defensive set with SR, EQ, Stone edge/Rock slide and SD seems appropriate, because you can beat this way both Mscizor and Clefable (another big nuisance to your team). This way you greatly worsen your electric weakness, so pay attention to this and look at what you need to cover better. I feel like electrics are more threatening right now than Mscizor, but not having a reliable answer to Clefable is not good in my opinion.

To sum it up, here's the version i'd use for your team!

Goliath Beetle (Heracross-Mega) (M) @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
- Spikes
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Counter

Criminal Scum (Weavile) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Pechikou (Azumarill) (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Joey (Latios) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder Wave

Let's explain this. After some test, I saw that with both the version i suggested you the Mscizor weakness and the Electric weakness were too much. I then decided to put Skarmory > Klefki and to come back to seismitoad. You still have your hazard stacking core, you have the ground immunity and you have counter for opposing Mscizor. Seismitoad has Hp fire to beat Mscizor more easily. It has the bulk and the typing to take on electrics and that is good and such. I removed Defog from Lati and put roost. You really don't need to defog in an hazard stacking team and eventually your opponent will be pressured to defog. I put thunder wave on Latios, because the yellow color is the yellow color. You lost it from Klef and I decided to put it on Lati because you can catch off guard those annoying ttar that switch in and you can still play with luck to escape pursuit. You can para Torn-T which is always one of the best thing ever.
I enjoy this build. I don't expect you to change yours, but I threw some ideas on how you can improve your build, now it's up to you.

Hope i helped :]

Your build feels stronger in the areas you called attention to. The only thing I worry about is losing priority on the yellow color since that lets me shutdown hyperdrive sweepers like Mzam or Agility Mgross. Although, you pointing out Foul Play was huge, since that gives me a button to click on switch-in Drill, Mgross, and Mscizor which were a little more worrying. I definitely still have work to do beyond that though, but I definitely have ideas now. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)