ORAS OU Gods Among Us! An ORAS OU Balance Squad

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

By Microsoft Paint

Hello Smogon Forums members! Exodus Latios here, bringing you all my most recent team and my most recent RMT! This team features two niche Pokémon. These Pokémon perform a certain role for the team, and I've found them to work very well for this team. I was taking a look at The Don's ORAS OU Team Building Compendium. It listed some pretty cool Pokémon such as Uxie, Crustle or Krookodile. I then found Weezing. After that, I began to think of other unique and creative Pokémon I could run. Not to mention this team does not have a Mega, so you can run it in OU (no mega) as well!

I started out with Landorus-Therian. It's fast, powerful and provides a solid check to Sand Sweeper Excadrill despite it not being defensive. Of course, you cannot have a team with one Pokémon, so onto the next member(s).

I find myself slapping on Lati for almost every team. It's just so good. It has good offensive synergy; but not so good defensive synergy. These two Pokémon alone get destroyed by a Weavile (meaning I have no switch ins), and that'll explain my next choice.

Keldeo gives me a solid switch in against Weavile. Sure, it doesn't appreciate its item being knocked off but it can come in and beat it or scare it out. Not only that, but it gave me 2 scald resists.

Weezing is the first of the niche Pokémon. It is much better than you'd expect at a first glance. For one, it gives me another ground immunity. It also lets me check fairies (bar Mega Gardevoir). With access to Taunt, it can stallbreak fairly well. However it lacks reliable recovery similar to Rotom-Wash. Its defensive stats are okay overall. 65 / 120 / 70 isn't much to laugh at. Note that this is a physical wall.

Stunfisk is the final niche Pokémon on this team. Its main role is to set up rocks and status an opponent. It has good defenses in 109 / 84 / 99 can allow it to set up hazards and/or status an opponent with relative ease. Also its typing is okay for a defensive Pokémon.

Cresselia is my final member. It also makes up the last defensive Pokémon of this team, which is what I consider to be balanced. It does give me another Pursuit / Knock Off weakness, but I think its solid defenses make up for that.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Primary Role:
Landorus-Therian's main role is to come in on physical attackers (or Pokémon it can just beat 1v1) and net a KO. Its spread gives it maximum speed and maximum attack. This lets it dish out as much as possible and outspeed as much as possible. Intimidate also allows Landorus to be somewhat of an offensive pivot.

Specific Traits:
The combination of Intimidate, solid bulk, and its defensive typing allows Landorus-Therian to pivot into common physical threats and ground types repeatedly. Landorus is also my best possible answer to Charizard-Mega-X as long as it hasn't set up a Dragon Dance.

Moves:
Earthquake is basic STAB on Landorus-Therian. It is a must have in all cases for Landorus, as that's where it gets most of its KOs. Stone Edge, on the other hand, hits Pokémon that are immune such as Talonflame or Charizard-Mega-Y for very hard damage; OHKOing. U-Turn allows Landorus-Therian to pivot around and also catch Pokémon it can't naturally beat or mons like Lati that like to come in predicting EQ. Item removal from Knock Off can help wear down threats in general, especially targets such as Ferrothorn and Heatran that rely on Leftovers as their sole means of recovery.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Earthquake / Memento

Primary Role:
Latios is my form of hazard removal. Hazard removal is mandatory on a lot of teams, and that goes for this one as well. Not only that, but it works as my nuke. It doesn't have a lot of switch ins and it turns out that a lot of teams aren't even prepared for this massive threat. It can also check a few threats such as Keldeo, Hidden Power Latios, or Garchomp. This is important as my team has little Latios switch ins as well.

Specific Traits:
Latios' ability to come in and net a KO is very important for this team. Its good typing also provides good answers to big threats to my team. Its typing, amazing power and STABs sets it apart from other psychic types such as Reuniclus and Alakazam.

Moves:
Draco Meteor is one of the strongest moves in the game. This is one of Latios' best qualities in the metagame; being able to nuke the competition with powerful Draco Meteors. In case Clefable or other fairies decide to switch in, you can hit them with a Psyshock which will likely 2HKO or 3HKO them. Defog is another one of Latios' best qualities, allowing it to be a powerful Pokémon that can still remove hazards. Earthquake allows me to lure in Heatran, as it is a guaranteed KO after Draco Meteor. If it misses, then I have that high chance of OHKOing if rocks are up. Without them, it has a small chance to OHKO. Memento can be run in this moveslot if you are willing to sac your Latios to give your other team members a chance to take a hit and potentially get the KO you need.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Primary Role:
Keldeo's main role here is to nuke a lot of switch ins. It works in a similar way to Latios, except it lacks hazard removal. It also works well when checking Weavile, Bisharp, and Tyranitar. Those are all common Pursuit trappers that may snipe my Latios before it switches out. I can just revenge it or force it out and then play from there.

Specific Traits:
Keldeo has the potential to dish out lots of damage thanks to its high special attack, powerful moves and holds the Choice Specs item. If it comes down to the point as to where Charizard-Mega-X can sweep, I wouldn't risk the Hydro Pump missing. Instead, it can Icy Wind it, essentially allowing my Landorus-Therian to beat it 1v1.

Moves:
Scald is just a weaker STAB option that you can use if you do not want to risk Hydro Pump missing. It is spammable, and boasts a high PP amount. It can also wear down common switch ins to it such as Lati, as it commonly burns opponents. Hydro Pump is very powerful and is needed to break past bulky Pokemon such as Clefable, Jirachi, and Mew. Secret Sword allows Keldeo to break normal types such as Snorlax or Chansey. It is more reliable than something like Focus Blast; as it always hits. Icy Wind allows me to lower an opponent's speed. This can hinder a set up sweepers' performance (i.e. Charizard-Mega-X), allow my other Pokémon to outspeed it (i.e. Latias, Venusaur-Mega-X) or hit opponents who are 4x weak to the move (i.e. Dragonite, Garchomp).

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt / Clear Smog
- Flamethrower / Clear Smog

Primary Role:
Weezing is the team's physical wall. It has access to good utility moves like Pain Split, Will-O-Wisp, or Taunt. This sets it apart from other physical defensive mons. Not only that but it gives me a good check to fairies, which my team lacked without it.

Specific Traits:
Weezing's good defensive typing allows it to reliably check common fairies; specifically Clefable. Its Levitate ability allows it to also come in against Sand Sweeper Excadrill and burn it or even try and get a KO with Flamethrower. The 8 speed EVs allows Weezing to always outspeed a standard Clefable (ones that run no speed). What sets it apart from Rotom-Wash? Its typing and different moves set it apart from Rotom heavily. Rotom cannot really stop Clefable, but Weezing can. And that is big for my team; big enough to warrant a spot on the team.

Moves:
Will-O-Wisp, and status in general, is a great move to have for a wall. Will-O-Wisp in particular greatly improves Weezing's capability as a defensive wall. Sludge Bomb is a great STAB option to have, as it allows it to deal super effective damage against fairies. Taunt can let Weezing stallbreak in a sense, ruining set ups. Clear Smog does that as well. If an opponent thinks they can set up... they can catch this Clear Smog and completely rid of their boosts. Flamethrower is Weezing's best coverage option, hitting steels for super effective; Scizor and Ferrothorn in particular. Something like Substitute can be ran for Ferrothorn, but it isn't needed in a lot of cases.

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Primary Role:
Stunfisk's primary role on this team is to set up rocks. Not only can it set up rocks but it can check Talonflame in a sense. It has great defensive stats and a solid defensive movepool.

Specific Traits:
Stunfisk has a very unique typing and access to powerful status inducing moves such as Discharge and Scald. Its defenses are great as well. Though slow, this fish can be a pest to take down. It also works as the status absorber in a way. It can switch in on a Thunder Wave always; being immune and can still play if burned / toxic'd. It can status a variety of opponents and even stops offensive momentum as it is immune to Volt Switch.

Moves:
Discharge works just like Scald. Its chance to paralyze is the exact same. It's STAB, meaning it'll be doing some okay damage coming from 198 special attack. It's like Amoonguss running Giga Drain; it really only does good damage when it hits super effectively. Scald + Discharge is great coverage, hitting ground types and potentially burning them (i.e. Gliscor on the switch). Stealth Rock allows my other team members to get off extra damage and net more KOs than before. Toxic is more status, if you feel the need to wither down opponents faster than a burn would. Pain Split gives Stunfisk some means of recovery. It is quite unreliable in some situations, due to it being based on the opponent's HP. If you feel the need to hit with another STAB option, try out Earth Power.

Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 220 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonlight
- Psyshock
- Skill Swap / Ice Beam
- Toxic

Primary Role:
Cresselia is a great special defensive Pokémon. Its defenses are 120 / 120 / 130! That is high for sure. It also has an immunity, which has been proven to be very useful for defensive and offensive Pokémon. It has semi-reliable recovery, good bulk and good utility which makes up its role as a defensive Pokémon.

Specific Traits:
A Calm nature allows Cresselia to take on the most powerful special attackers in the tier; outside of Mega Charizard Y, Life Orb Gengar, and Tail Glow Manaphy, Cresselia avoids the 2HKO from every special attacker. Despite the low Defense investment, Cresselia can still handle the more powerful physical attackers in the tier, being able to avoid the 2HKO from Adamant Mega Lopunny and Jolly Mega Metagross.

Moves:
Moonlight if Cresselia's main form of recovery. Though having low PP (8), it can still work. Psychic gives me STAB and Psychic deals more damage to more physically defensive Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Hippowdon, and even hits Mega Lopunny for super effective damage. Skill Swap is really one of the most trolly moves in the game. It ruins Pokémon who are heavily reliant on their ability, such as Sableye-Mega, Gliscor or Diancie-Mega. Thunder Wave can be used to slow down opponents with ease, which can allow my other team members to outspeed Pokémon like Charizard-Mega-X or Metagross-Mega. However if you have Skill Swap, run Toxic as it helps out much more against Mega Sableye.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-267192029
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-267194211
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-267195415
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-267209332
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-267210595
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-267505141
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-267510136

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-267569631

Sableye can prove to be a great threat to my team. I don't really have anything for it. My Cresselia can Skill Swap it, Toxic it and recover all of the damage dealt to it. Keldeo can potentially burn with Scald and wither it down overtime.

I can't do too much against it, especially if it packs Roost. Sure, Cresselia can take a +2 Flare Blitz (somehow...) and Toxic it, but it can just destroy everything else. I'm sure Landorus-Therian can take one hit and OHKO with EQ, but other than, it's GG.

Azumarill has proven to be quite the threat to my team. However if you've watched the last replay I provided, you'll see that I can play around it. That is at the cost of my Latios and Keldeo. If you predict Azumarill to lead, like I did not, be sure to lead Weezing and burn it.

Breloom is only a threat because it can Spore anything on my team. This would lead to me choosing one Pokémon to be sleep fodder, and that alone makes it quite the threat. Spore users in general also threaten my team (Amoonguss).

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Earthquake

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Flamethrower

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 220 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonlight
- Psychic
- Skill Swap
- Toxic

Overall this is more of a fun team. It is competitive for sure, but it does utilize some uncommon and niche Pokémon. If that's something you don't really like to see, sorry. I dunno how to properly conclude this, but thank you for reading and cheers!

~ Exodus Latios​

Last edited:
Hi Exodus Latios . Cool team, I like the usage of those 2 Pokemon.

I think you are very weak to Raikou in general. After Landorus-T is gone, what can you do against it? Also u have no Specs Raikou Shadow Ball switchins. Because of that, I would advise you run Clefable > Stunfisk. Though it does lose you an electric immunity, it gives you a better answer to Raikou and set up sweepers in general. It also has access to stealth rocks like Stunfisk.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave / Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

overall nice team. I like the use of Stunfisk and Weezing, as they are both two underrated pokemon in the metagame.

Yasss got s/oed. Also this looks more semistallish than balance but w/e.

Fast electrics are a problem, now, I don't think you should use Clefable, I simply think switching Stunfisk to SpDef or Mixed Def can help your issue, along with running Earth Power on Stunfisk.

252 SpA Choice Specs Raikou Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 88 SpD Stunfisk: 168-198 (39.8 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Raikou Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Stunfisk: 132-156 (31.2 - 36.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Stunfisk Earth Power vs. 32 HP / 0 SpD Raikou: 164-194 (49.8 - 58.9%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO

Stunfisk, even with max Special Defense investment, still checks Talonflame effectively.

252 Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 168 Def Stunfisk: 136-162 (32.2 - 38.3%) -- 1.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Stunfisk: 165-195 (39 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I hope this helps n_n.

Flounder (Stunfisk) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Pain Split / Toxic

OR

Flounder (Stunfisk) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Pain Split / Toxic

Yasss got s/oed. Also this looks more semistallish than balance but w/e.

Fast electrics are a problem, now, I don't think you should use Clefable, I simply think switching Stunfisk to SpDef or Mixed Def can help your issue, along with running Earth Power on Stunfisk.

[/hide]
If he's is looking for a mixed defensive ground pokemon.
Wouldn't a Specially Defensive Hippowdon or Mixed do what he needs better?

Hippowdon is able to set up rocks, beat talonflame, beat Mega Manectric and raikou, while also having better bulk and more reliabe recovery than pain split.

Some calcs:

Against Hippo:
252 SpA Choice Specs Raikou Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 160-190 (38 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 129-152 (30.7 - 36.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 146-174 (34.7 - 41.4%) -- 67.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 147-173 (35 - 41.1%) -- 67.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hippowdon: 148-175 (35.2 - 41.6%) -- 80% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Hippo Attacking:
0 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 302-356 (91.7 - 108.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Hippowdon Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 212-250 (70.9 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
-1 0 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Manectric: 192-228 (68.3 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
0 Atk Hippowdon Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 420-496 (116.9 - 138.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
If he's is looking for a mixed defensive ground pokemon.
Wouldn't a Specially Defensive Hippowdon or Mixed do what he needs better?

Hippowdon is able to set up rocks, beat talonflame, beat Mega Manectric and raikou, while also having better bulk and more reliabe recovery than pain split.

Some calcs:

Against Hippo:
252 SpA Choice Specs Raikou Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 160-190 (38 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 129-152 (30.7 - 36.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 146-174 (34.7 - 41.4%) -- 67.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 147-173 (35 - 41.1%) -- 67.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hippowdon: 148-175 (35.2 - 41.6%) -- 80% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Hippo Attacking:
0 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 302-356 (91.7 - 108.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Hippowdon Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 212-250 (70.9 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
-1 0 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Manectric: 192-228 (68.3 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
0 Atk Hippowdon Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 420-496 (116.9 - 138.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
The ability to paralyze with Discharge, check Mega Pinsir a helluva lot better, and the ability to not die to Grass Knot from Thundurus (!!!) is honestly better for his team.

The ability to paralyze with Discharge, check Mega Pinsir a helluva lot better, and the ability to not die to Grass Knot from Thundurus (!!!) is honestly better for his team.
I would have to agree in the part where stunfisk deals a lot better against thundurus, but hippowdon is still able to check Mega Pinsir effectively.
For stunfisk to beat a Mega Pinsir it would have to rely on paralizing it and in the Mega Pinsir not having Earthquake.

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Stunfisk: 218-258 (51.6 - 61.1%) -- 94.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Stunfisk: 202-238 (47.8 - 56.3%) -- 30.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Stunfisk Discharge vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 158-188 (58.3 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Even if hippowdon also relies on a 30% circumstance (Stone edge accuracy) it can check it regardless of its moveset.

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hippowdon: 214-253 (50.9 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Hippowdon Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir: 272-324 (100.3 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I would have to agree in the part where stunfisk deals a lot better against thundurus, but hippowdon is still able to check Mega Pinsir effectively.
For stunfisk to beat a Mega Pinsir it would have to rely on paralizing it and in the Mega Pinsir not having Earthquake.

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Stunfisk: 218-258 (51.6 - 61.1%) -- 94.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Stunfisk: 202-238 (47.8 - 56.3%) -- 30.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Stunfisk Discharge vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 158-188 (58.3 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Even if hippowdon also relies on a 30% circumstance (Stone edge accuracy) it can check it regardless of its moveset.

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hippowdon: 214-253 (50.9 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Hippowdon Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir: 272-324 (100.3 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
They run close combat now, only reason it ran eq was because of aegislash

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)