Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fast starters are pretty rare.

Base 100 = Charizard and Typhlosion
Base 101 - 109 = Infernape, Delphox
Base 110 - 119 = Serperior
Base 120+ = Sceptile and Greninja

However, since Gen III we've gotten a starter above base 100 speed in each batch and we got two in Gen VI.
If some of the leaks are true, I expect Rowlet's evo to be the fastest, followed by the Fire type then Water type.

Delphox isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It's the best Gen VI starter hands down when it comes to In-game runs of X/Y, and it has its uses competitively; it may not be Greninja, but it rocks in RU.
yeah, that's the beauty of smogon's tiering system: even shit mons like Delphox get to be good at something somewhere! Sorry, but you set yourself up for this one

Speaking of new Pokemon, another thought has occured to me: A lot of Nintendo's biggest games now a days have preloading. Now, assuming Pokemon Sun and Moon are able to be preloaded, would it be possible to extract Pokemon data from a preloaded games? Of course considering how all the ORAS stuff leaked a month ahead of time because of a demo, I could see Gamefreak being weary... but I am curious about the idea that we could have concrete information ahead of the release date, unlike XY!
Yes, I'd say it is possible. For instance, I'm 95% sure some people were perfectly capable of dataming Star Wars Battlefront's preloaded content; it's just a matter of how much data is actually available.

I'm so happy about hyper training. Like... This is the best new of the gen omg I am in love. The final real timesaver of hacking, aka not resetting the legends, is finally out. VGC 17 here I come, without any teambuilding strain anymore
How could I not think of this?! Of course, all we need is the right nature and to get to level 100, but assuming the EXP O powers remain, that can probably be done in a games so long as there is a Battle Chateau-like facility.

Like I said, if we can also lower IVs, we'll have an ability to change the Hidden Power as well!

Lowering IVs for things like Trick Room and Hidden Power seems like one of those little things Game Freak would accidentally overlook; don't get yourself too excited.
Guess that means I'll have to be REALLY careful that I don't raise the IVs on Pokémon that need Hidden Power.

I have to say Hyper Training is one of the best things to happen so far to these new games.

I was very involved with breeding/catching competitive Pokemon during the 4th generation before RNG manipulation was a thing. Back then, breeding was difficult, soft resetting was very time consuming, and usually neither ever resulted in anything perfect unless you were a lucky breeder. Thus there was a lot of exclusivity when it came to superbly IVed Pokemon. It was an interesting and fun time to be involved in the Pokemon community, but when RNG manipulation became accessible, it made me realize that obsessing over the best Pokemon kind of sapped the fun out of playing the game - partly because of how much time had to be spent on repetitive acts like breeding and soft resetting, and partly because of how discardable inferior Pokemon were.

The reason I’m excited about Hyper Training is because I think it finally brings me back to the days where I didn’t have to worry about ‘good’ my Pokemon was and whether it was going to be worthless later on. Obviously natures/abilities still have to be considered (probably), but now the majority of the time can be spent on actually raising your Pokemon, and I think that’s one of the funnest parts of the series for me. In the last generation I was so adamant on my in-game team being relevant after I beat the game that I competitively bred the entirety of the teams for Y/AS, but I’m glad I don’t have to obsessively pander over that in the upcoming games. I think Hyper Training will help everyone focus more on actually playing the games and maybe get more people involved with sorts of competitive battling within the game!

Lowering IVs for things like Trick Room and Hidden Power seems like one of those little things Game Freak would accidentally overlook; don't get yourself too excited.
I mean, they do have items that lower EVs, so maybe they'll create items that can lower IVs? It'd make sense, though I guess I could see Game Freak forgetting.

Reactions: JES

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
yeah, that's the beauty of smogon's tiering system: even shit mons like Delphox get to be good at something somewhere! Sorry, but you set yourself up for this one
What about the Pokemon like Farfetch'd and Ledian, who suck regardless of where they are tiered?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Delphox is the strongest starter in the history of Pokemon or anything, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's shit either. That honor goes to Meganium and Serperior (before the days of contrary). Just because it isn't OU doesn't instantly mean it's complete garbage either. If you discount competitive viability and focus on its in-game viability (this is orange islands after all), then it easily trumps Chesnaught and Greninja.

As for lowering IVs in SuMo, I wouldn't hold my breath on it. Keep in mind these are the same people who were shocked that Aegislash was used as a special attacker; I'm not too sure that they're factoring in Trick Room and Foul Play/Confusion damage in the equation, and if they are, they could easily expect us to breed for more specific IV spreads.

Keep in mind these are the same people who were shocked that Aegislash was used as a special attacker
To be honest it's not as foolish as it seems, as Aegislash has basically no remotely good special moves that are not Shadow Ball or Flash Cannon.

I remember some time having to pass before special Aegislash really became a thing.

Last edited:
Sweet mother of God, the fact that they didn't thought Aegislash could work as a special attacker still amazes me to this day whenever brought up.

Here have a Pokemon with 150 special attack and attack, use contact moves that have low power and are walled easier! Also ignore burns, it's not like we introduced scald and buffed WoW accuracy or anything.

Players Realized it gets shadowball flash cannon and HP... Yeah you know what, there is less risk involved in going special, or if needed mixed with the unstabbed fighting move that has great coverage with ghost.

YEAH GF, IT'S NOT LIKE WE THINK STUFF TROUGH WHEN COMPETING FOR PRIZES OR E PEN.

Sounds like the old problem of game designers not being as adept at their games as the players (I think similar situations exist with Magic: The Gathering and Puzzle & Dragons?).

That said, I'm also reminded of the oddity with Galvantula--far better special attack than physical, but most of the attacks it gets by level-up and breeding are physical. I realize their main concern with move allocation is Vorthos-type (i.e. would it make logical sense for this kind of creature to attack this way, or not?), rather than Spike (what would be most powerful given the stat allocation, typing, and abilities?), but you'd think they'd notice which way Galvantula's movepool was tending.

Hours that I'll he'll/I'll never get back. All because of that last stupid 31 IV in...whatever.
That can be said about any time spent playing video games. I'm obviously not suggesting that having to spend hours on that last 31 is enjoyable in itself. The point is that a player will be more invested in trying to obtain something that's less easily obtainable.

That can be said about any time spent playing video games. I'm obviously not suggesting that having to spend hours on that last 31 is enjoyable in itself. The point is that a player will be more invested in trying to obtain something that's less easily obtainable.
Perhaps I should be putting this another way: time I could have spend battling. Still, I guess the breedjects are useful for WTing...

Perhaps I should be putting this another way: time I could have spend battling.
Yes. The point isn't about how that particular time is spent; it's about whether the overall game (obviously this one particular thing on its own won't make or break this) seems to you to be worth investing time in at all. The easier it gets, the simpler it gets, the closer it gets to having a built in cheat-code-generator, etc., the more likely it's not going to seem worth the investment. The specific change allowing you to get perfect breeding results more easily may on its own make the game better for you while also contributing to a broader effect that ultimately makes you not care about the game anymore.

Yes. The point isn't about how that particular time is spent; it's about whether the overall game (obviously this one particular thing on its own won't make or break this) seems to you to be worth investing time in at all. The easier it gets, the simpler it gets, the closer it gets to having a built in cheat-code-generator, etc., the more likely it's not going to seem worth the investment.
...You do realize that the primary audience for the game is children, right? They're not necessarily going to have the time to invest, especially in something as intrinsically chance-oriented as breeding for target IVs. Is it right to exclude them from competitive just because they have other time obligations? Answer: no. This also applies to adults with other time responsibilities (e.g. raising a family).

I also question whether anything should require, directly or implicitly, such immense time investment in the first place. That verges close to addiction, in my eyes.

Yes. The point isn't about how that particular time is spent; it's about whether the overall game (obviously this one particular thing on its own won't make or break this) seems to you to be worth investing time in at all. The easier it gets, the simpler it gets, the closer it gets to having a built in cheat-code-generator, etc., the more likely it's not going to seem worth the investment. The specific change allowing you to get perfect breeding results more easily may on its own make the game better for you while also contributing to a broader effect that ultimately makes you not care about the game anymore.
I honestly only IV breed because I'm a OCD perfectionist who believes it's better to have and not need it than need but not have it, and don't want to loose a battle because I didn't cause just that little bit of damage, wasn't able to withstand a certain attack, or outspend by opponent.

The ironic thing is I spend way more time breeding than battling!

Except it's the exact opposite. The whole point of the game is collecting and battling. Not breeding.

That's not investing time. That's wasting it.

Looking for the right IV spread is, for all ends and purposes, essentially farming. And that's not a good thing in any game (If not kept in check, like it was before Gen VI).

Last edited:
i think you take pokemon a little bit too seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)