Gen IV. Titans Still Strong

The Introduction

It is currently season 5 of Gen V. UU and alot of people have to change their teams each time their is a new season. This isnt like DPP UU where you could get to the top of the ladder using the same team(or just substituting one poke) each season. Gen IV. UU had some dominant forces and were quickly banned due to being "too powerful." Cresselia, Honchkrow,Gallade, PorgonZ, Yanmega etc. and the king of UU Moltres. Now look where they are?! in the debths of RU where their potential is being waisted.I gotta say thats pretty disappointing when they have so much power. This team is dedicated to using these forgotten Titans of UU. Also I tried out what shrang was talking about, using flyers to counter the spikes-rage which led to me building this team.

Team Preview

Team Description

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Blastoise (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Of course this team being SR weak I am going to need a rapid spinner. I tried hitmontop but he didnt provide too much synergy and wasnt strong enough to keep alive and spin. He also became the anti spin pokemon, meaning too many pokes switched in to gain the momentum from him. Anyways enough battering on hitmontop, blastoise has proven to be the more reliable rapid spin because it can actually damage the spin blockers with a burn or in chandelure's case a super effective scald. I use the resttalk set because i need blastoise alive and in tip top shape to be able to constantly spin away SR and keep the sweepers alive for much longer. I only use blastoise when SR is on the field because this team really gives two shits about spikes

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Discharge
- Recover

The bulky and yet powerful P2. I randomly chose P2 for this team, without any though really. But man it was the luck of the draw. Dont need to go into too much description with this set becasue we all know how it functions. It goes well with the team synergy because the fighting weakness is covered by yanmega and moltres, all who live to switch into fighting type, but always gotta be careful for that stone edge. This is something on my team I am willing to change as well, but as of now it is defintely a good team slot on my team

Yanmega (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain/HP ground?
- Roost

The 1st Titan of the team. This thing is just the best late game clean up of this game. Has a fantastic Special attack which he can go modest 100% with because of speed boost. It is no surprise to see why this thing was broken in Gen IV. (even though it was his specs tinted lens set) Yanmega is a perfect partner to both Honchkrow and Moltrs. Both of them punch holes are soften pokes up for yanmega to come in and finish them all off piece by piece. Yanmega KOs the majority of offensive pokes, but can only 2HKO or 3HKO most walls. With that in mind, I added roost to allow it to keep its survivability. It allows him to stay alive for a little bit longer and most of the time fire off another powerful attack. Most walls arent KOing yanmega nor 2HKOing the dragonfly, so roost helps in that factor. I tried changing Giga drain because it allowed me to gain HP back and do more damage to bulky waters which are very popular right now, but HP ground allows me to hit some steel types. Personally and from usage i have found both useful but cant decided between the two of them?

Honchkrow (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Night Slash
- Sucker Punch
- Drill Peck

2nd Titan, Choice scarf honchkrow is similar to a choice scarf krookodile. only difference is less speed more attack and higher STAB attack with drawbacks. I found honchkrow to be more fun and useful because it has "the element of surprise." Its already barely used and when used ppl expect it to be the LO subroost set. Even when it is caught for a choice scarf, it is too late as it already has a Moxie boost under its belt. Sucker punch is there for insurance in case something is faster than it, like stoutland. Unfortunately a Jolly unboost sucker punch is actually very weak. Only doing around 50% to stoutland, not only to stoutland but to many other sweepers as well..Night slash unboosted is very well as well, but is its only reliable form of offense outside of bravebird

Moltres @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Roost

The 3rd and most powerful Titan. Moltres is the forgotten beast in UU. Its 125 base special attack is stil hitting extremely hard. Anything that doesnt resist fire blast will be OHKO or 2HKOed especially since chansey is gone. Thanks to Team preview it make moltres's 10 times easier with prediction and what it should switch into..Making moltres even more deadlier this gen. Unfortunately this Gen. got alot more stronger so moltre's "bulk" is no longer a key factor like it was in Gen. IV. It has to be played more carefully and more than ever now cant afford a miss from fire blast. After using this team it made me love moltres and I can see why it was used so much back in Gen IV. It needs more love this season

Conclusion

This team has brought me consecutive wins with its offensive pressure. I'm shocked that they are not being abused as much as they should be. Especially since this is a hyper offense spike abusing metagame so flyers like these dont care about spikes. I could also change it around to add spikes to the equation to make them even scarier and harder to wall. I am very pleased with this team, but I feel it could use something a little more and its not living up to its potential. I am very pleased with the flyers and do not wish to change any of those, but I feel its supporting cast could use a little more help. I am open and willing to all suggestions. Please Rate My Team, Thanks :)

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey, cool team!

There really isn't any major problems with the team, but the first thing I'll say is keep Giga Drain on Yanmega, as it allows you to nab a quick OHKO on the likes of Rhyperior and Swampert.

One problem that I can see with your team is it being a little sandstorm weak. Stoutland can KO all of your offensive Pokemon, and won't be KO'd by Honchkrow's Sucker Punch. Since you said Rhyperior is replacable, I suggest swapping it for Bronzong.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
IVs: 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake

Bronzong gives you a little more security against your typical Sandstorm team. It makes a great switch-in to the likes of Stoutland and Rhyperior too (Choice Band is surprisingly Powerful, and can even take out Blastoise and Porygon2). Bronzong still supports your team with Stealth Rock, so it's still a good Rhyperior replacement.

Good luck with the team, I hope I helped!

You look like you have major Zapdos issues. P2 is the only thing that can take a hit from it, and Zapdos can always Volt Switch or have spikes support. To fix it, I'd first switch Yanmega to the specs tinted lens set, which will lure in and do a lot of damage to Zapdos. It's a much better set in general anyway. I'd also replace Honchkrow with Krookodile who isn't the best check but does have that electric immunity + stone edge.

Thanks for the suggestions both of you!!

For the bronzong set, i permanantly replaced over rhyperior. It still gives me momentum, sets up SR and counters sand teams well. It has the nice benifit of more resistants and NOT weak to spikes. It is harder however to check darminitan and arcanine, so I had to play my blastoise even more carefully

Krookodile over hunchkrow is still up in the air. Both sweep about the same way which is very weird. I still havent ran into an offensive zapdos, most i run into are defensive.

Yanmega changing to tinted lens. Speed boost proved superior for my team but I did change roost to Protect because i needed that speed boost for certain situations. The tinted lens set got outspeed too much and I was barely able to even get a kill from it. This is a much more heavy offensive oriented metagame where choice scarfers are running around and pokes over 100 base speed. Speed boost yanmega proved superior because I dont have that many fast pokes on my team so it was easy to get swept by a raikou, which led to me changing roost to protect

Thank you again for your input!! :)

There is one big weakness in your team though. 4 of your pokemon are weak to electric and you lack a safe switch in, perhaps consider a bulky ground type pokemon instead of one of your flyers:

eg. Swampert has good defense and resistances, Flygon has many resistances, Rhyperior has great defense, and Nidoquen's list of resistances is also impressive.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Cool concept, jamashawalker. You may want to consider Scarf Flygon over Porygon2 for Zapdos coverage. This also allows you to remove Honchkrow's Scarf and make it a MixedKrow with Superpower. By removing Scarf Honchkrow it loses out on some useful Speed, but gains power in its Sucker Punch, thanks to Life Orb. Plus, MixedKrow would be a perfect lure to Rock and Steel Types, allowing Honchkrow to remove them with Superpower.

Although you seem to like Moltres, you may want to consider Zapdos over it. Losing Porygon2 may have made Bulky Water-types harder to eliminate, so Zapdos would come in handy here. Even more, Zapdos has that useful base 100 Speed, which may be more crucial for a Heavy Offensive team like this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)