Gen 3 Gen 3 OU: Vaporeon Spikes

https://pokepast.es/d87038a4eb44f16d

One of the first teams I've built. I decided to use the Blissey/Vaporeon/Claydol core from Vapicuno's post, and the team is basically built around using these mons to support CB Tyranitar. Without further ado:

lizard brain (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Focus Punch
- Hidden Power [Bug]

CB tar is a fun lead, and feels like it gives you way more momentum than anything else on this squad would. The main idea with the team is to support CB Tar with wish + aromatherapy so it can click buttons for as long as possible. Sand is also super nice to help with Snorlax, especially if they have Magneton. I tried a few choice banders on this team but ended up settling on Tar for the sand and the nice defensive profile.

yugi (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Rest
- Baton Pass
- Roar

Zapdos is a second special wall that can abuse spikes really well with roar + tbolt, and even BP. I'm running BP over toxic to enable more Tar switches; you can always BP to Vaporeon or Skarm or something if they go to a bulky ground type, which is generally what I found myself clicking toxic on anyway. Bliss and Skarm also both have toxic already, so it felt a bit redundant. Overall this thing just feels crazy strong in endgame situations a lot of the time, and does a great job of softening up the opposing team to get cleaned up later.

(on my leg) (Blissey) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Aromatherapy

Aromatherapy helps a ton on this team, and works really well with rest on Zapdos and Claydol. Not having to worry about taking a toxic on Vaporeon is also pretty sweet. Other than that, I'm running ice beam to not get completely blanked by taunt Gengar, and toxic as a janky way to punish Flygon and Swampert for Tar in case Vaporeon drops early.

ferregrine falcon (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Roar
- Protect
- Toxic

Standard Skarm, there's not too too much to say. Aromatherapy makes switching into Lax body slam much more palatable, and wish support can be nice too in a pinch. Other than that pretty straightforward Skarm that does Skarm things.

\SO_2(\mathbb{R}) (Claydol) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Atk / 32 SpA / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Psychic
- Rest

I was running refresh Claydol at first to try and take advantage of wish support, before I realized rest Claydol is kinda perfect for this team. Rapid spin is very much appreciated by Vaporeon especially, as well as Bliss and Tar. While it is kinda sketchy, Claydol also checks the rock resist box (though you can get HP bug'ed and have your day ruined Very easily -_-) and can help out against fighting types, so Skarm doesn't really feel like it's missing out by not running drill peck.

the apparatus (Vaporeon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 SpD
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Wish
- Haze

Vaporeon provides wish support for Tyranitar, helps deal with mence, and hazes on setup sweepers. In particular, I'm running haze over roar to handle last mon Suicune. You can also switch into Metagross meteor mashes with this if they kill your Skarm, or just want to play conservatively with Skarm's HP. Overall, with spin and aroma support, Vaporeon can stick around for a pretty long time for a sand weak mon with no immediate recovery. Water absorb is fun too as a way to scare the opponent out of spamming water moves.

Overall, this team struggles quite a bit against physical offense. Another more sturdy rock resist would probably help out here, but I'm not exactly sure what I'd have to change to get around it. I had a lot of fun building and troubleshooting with this team, and thanks for reading :)

The first thing I noticed is that you have no ghost to stop rapid spinners. It would also be helpful in negating fighting attacks against Tar. That's especially important because you don't seem to have a lot of physical walls.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)