Rules Forum Rules and Simple Questions/Answers

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How essential is Hidden Power fire on Tapu Lele? Even with a master ball this resetting is driving me crazy.
I don't think it's really a requirement, but it's probably nice to have considering you don't suffer from 30ivs and therefore can shift the moves around later.

Right now the only important pokemon it hits for 4x is scizor, which can't bullet punch you anyway, and Kartana, which dies to Psychic.

Does Silvally have any use?
Ok, he has 95 in every stats, and even a Pokemon with 100 un every stats has an hard life with the metagame of today.

Also is moverpool is not so good, and the memories don't give any sort of boost like plates do.

Anyway i'm starting to like this chimera, so i wonder if there's any good set for him.
I saw something a swords dance set, but i doubt it is really good since Silvally lacks of extremespeed.

How essential is Hidden Power fire on Tapu Lele? Even with a master ball this resetting is driving me crazy.
Right now, not much as dragonwhale said. Just for scizor. But after pokebank i suppose you need it to hit hard ferrothorn for example.

Last edited by a moderator:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does Silvally have any use?
Ok, he has 95 in every stats, and even a Pokemon with 100 un every stats has an hard life with the metagame of today.

Also is moverpool is not so good, and the memories don't give any sort of boost like plates do.

Anyway i'm starting to like this chimera, so i wonder if there's any good set for him.
I saw something a swords dance set, but i doubt it is really good since Silvally lacks of extremespeed.

Right now, not much as dragonwhale said. Just for scizor. But after pokebank i suppose you need it to hit hard ferrothorn for example.
Watch this:

Watch this:
Thanks.
Time ago I used to play ubers, silvally won't be never like arceus (luckily).
Anyway ok, so sd is the only available set. I got it in Battle of Alola, but +2 crunch is a 2hko on Solgaleo so i beat him down easy with sunsteel strike

Mostly just now I saw ur fairy memory set in the set compendium topic, is it good as well?

Last edited:
Does anyone have a good complete team setup I can steal for now until I got time to make my own team? Preferred Double Battle but I am ok with Single and Special too :)

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone have a good complete team setup I can steal for now until I got time to make my own team? Preferred Double Battle but I am ok with Single and Special too :)
Dude nice, you're back! Welcome back :D

Here are some pretty solid and basic balance teams made by Theorymon that got him to the top 10 on the US ladder:

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Tapu Koko @ Focus Sash
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 SpD
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flame Charge
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance

Mudsdale @ Assault Vest
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Heavy Slam
- Close Combat

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flame Charge
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Brick Break

Tapu Fini @ Normalium Z
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Refresh
- Moonblast
- Surf

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Poison Jab

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Dude nice, you're back! Welcome back :D
Thanks, yeah I burned out after I bred all the Pokemon X&Y as shiny with perfect IV and eggmoves :P
Taking it slower now and ready to get in to BattleSpot again ^^

Just to make sure, these teams are both for Double Battle?

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks, yeah I burned out after I bred all the Pokemon X&Y as shiny with perfect IV and eggmoves :P
Taking it slower now and ready to get in to BattleSpot again ^^

Just to make sure, these teams are both for Double Battle?
Nah they're single, that's why none of them have protect.

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but what are the optimal natures / hidden powers for the UBs, Tapus for Battle Spot? Finally closing in on them for the full Dex and I might as well make them competitive.

Hi! Wanting to train a Mandibuzz in-game, but at Lv 50, is 217 HP (252 EVs), or 215 HP (236 or 240 EVs) more preferable to reduce damage from Stealth Rock etc.?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but what are the optimal natures / hidden powers for the UBs, Tapus for Battle Spot? Finally closing in on them for the full Dex and I might as well make them competitive.
Tapu Koko: Timid / Naive / Hasty / Jolly
Tapu Lele: Timid / Modest
Tapu Bulu: Adamant / Careful / Impish(?)
Tapu Fini: Modest / Bold

Nihilego: Timid / Bold
Buzzwole: Adamant / Careful / Jolly / Impish
Pheromosa: Naughty / Naive
Xurkitree: Modest / Timid / Bold
Celesteela: Relaxed / Impish / Adamant / Brave / Jolly / Careful / Sassy / Timid / Quiet
Kartana: Jolly / Timid (some people have been doing this on Swords Dance sets to make Beast Boost increase the speed stat instead of attack, as well as allow for EV investment in HP / Def which makes it bulkier. It's a gimmick though...)
Guzzlord: Brave?

As for Hidden Powers on the Ultra Beasts, I settled on Hidden Power: Ice for my Nihilego and Xurkitrees. The primary reason for this is that Ice is one of the more common results when you have Pokemon with 3 IVs of 31. The discussion threads for these two also seem to more-or-less settle on Ice as a solid choice. Fire was also floated for Nihilego to deal with Steel types, and Water Ground for Xurkitree to help deal with Alolan Marowak's Lightning Rod. Fire and is much less likely than Ice, while Ground is reasonably common.

For the record, I got the chance of hidden powers from the following reddit threads. My understanding is that people aren't sure exactly how the process works so the exact percentages vary a bit, but they're in the same general area.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/co...ower_probabilities_for_fixed_pokemon/dbgoyk2/
https://www.reddit.com/r/stunfisk/comments/5jeuwd/psa_hidden_power_chances_are_significantly/

The other results of my research;

Buzzwole, Guzzlord, and Kartana don't have any mentions in their threads (as expected for physicals with fairly solid coverage in general), and Celesteela brings up HP: Ground exactly once specifically in the context of a Specially oriented set... which seems like a wash when it has decent uninvested attack and Earthquake. Ground is relatively common (7 or 8%) though.

Pheremosa apparently appreciates Ground or Electric, which are around the same occurrence, and probably well worth the trouble.

Necrozma's thread only mentions Hidden Power Fighting... which requires 4 even IVs. Womp womp.

A note about Tapus: I saw a comment on a Pheremosa with Hidden Power: Psychic to make use of Tapu Lele's terrain. With some of the whacky-jack Special Attacks of the Ultra Beasts, this may be a point worth considering in general.

I hope you like Tapu Koko the best, because much like Xurkitree, Ice (honorable mention: Ground for the same reasons as Xurkitree) is best to help deal with his Ground weakness.

Tapu Lele's thread has a lot of discussion of HP: Fire being a big deal to help deal with Steel types. Fire is vanishingly rare, so I hope you like Soft Resetting.

Tapu Fini has less discussion of using HP: Fire. I'm not sure if that's due to its sets not being able to fit it as much or just because it has a different role than Lele.

Tapu Bulu just, uh, has less discussion. It's slower, bulkier, and more physically oriented, so that explains Hidden Power not showing up in the discussion at all. You can probably save yourself the headache and just take what you get.

Last edited:
just wanna know if i can use my mons from x and pokemon Omega ruby in pokemon sun and moon battle spot singles or can you only use pokemon from sun and moon dex?

Owen Quillon answered it pretty darn well, although, at least pre-bank, Xurk and Koko appreciate HP Ground to deal with Marowak-Alola as well as things like Magnezone, or in the electric mirror it does slightly more than a resisted dual-STAB thunderbolt. Post-Bank, I anticipate HP Fire being a quality option over Ground to deal with Ferrothorn at the cost of covering Alola Marowak and Heatran, although still probably not as present as Ice.

I mostly just collected the wisdom of others for my own purposes. I did see HP: Ground floated but thought Water was the better honorary mention because it still hit Ground types.

On reflection, I'm not sure I saw many Ground types that weren't Garchomp in Battle of Alola at least, and that'd be settling for a neutral hit. Ground is not only easier to reset for, but hits Poison, Rock, Steel, and Electric as well as Fire, which seems like excellent future-proofing in general as the meta changes. I'll go ahead and edit that consideration in.

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch for the responses; would an HP Water Xurkitree be inferior to the Ice (or Ground) variant? I imagine the only major checks to electric types pre-bank are going to be Chomp and A-Marowak; while Chomp is virtually a guarantee on at least the majority of teams, I'm not as confident on how common Marowak is, and I'm unsure of whether HP Ice is so common that people won't switch in Chomp anyway due to fear of it, dulling its effectiveness to lure

Do you all prefer timid or modest Lele?I'm about to start my long journey SRing for HP fire Lele and I kind of want to not mess it up too badly.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Do you all prefer timid or modest Lele?I'm about to start my long journey SRing for HP fire Lele and I kind of want to not mess it up too badly.
Both are perfectly fine but I prefer Modest, the power boost is technically better in terms of what the nature gives you but if you really want Scarf Lele to be outspeeding Pheromosa then you need Timid. Really either one is fine, it just mainly comes down to preference though Modest is generally more useful, especially if you plan to use Lele in VGC as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)