VGC First VGC17 Team

> Reborn's First VGC17 Team <

|
|
|
|
|

Introduction

Hey everyone, I've been having a blast with this year's VGC format and I was hoping to get some feedback on my first proper team. Obviously the metagame hasn't properly been defined yet but I guess we have a fairly decent idea what's going to be strong in the format.

The team's built around Z-conversion Porygon-Z + Psychic Surge to deal enormous damage with +1 Modest Adaptability Psychics in Psychic terrain. This thing's a monster.

The Team

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 44 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Dark Pulse
- Conversion
- Protect

And here's the monster himself. With Z-Conversion, this thing gains +1 in every stat and becomes a psychic type. At +1 it outspeeds the entire unboosted meta bar Pheromosa which doesn't seem to be that common right now, and outspeeds max speed +spe natured base 70s without a boost. The spread was taken from Kyle Cole's recent video on PZ since I couldn't really think of any improvements to it. I chose Dark Pulse as my coverage move to be able to hit Oranguru as it guarantees the 2HKO at +1 without the need for some chip damage and/or Psychic terrain being up. The set is hard walled by Darks, but bar Krookodile and Weavile they don't seem to be all that common, probably due to all the new fairies running around.

Tapu Lele @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 108 Def / 132 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt
- Protect

Tapu Lele is here to prevent opposing Fake Out, bring opposing Pokemon in to Psychic KO range, set up Psychic Terrain, act as a trick room/taunt bait check and just overall deal really nice damage with psychics of its own. Psychic Seed just provides a free +1 Sp.def boost the first time it is sent in, and the set allows Tapu Lele to have a very good chance to survive a LO Jolly Wild Charge from Tapu Koko in Electric terrain, while still having enough firepower to OHKO no bulk Koko in Psychic Terrain. The speed is just there to speed creep things trying to speed creep 4 speed lele.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 244 HP / 196 Atk / 60 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Protect

I love Celesteela. This thing is tanky as all hell, while still having decent enough offensive capabilities, which get even better with Beast Boost. It acts as a great check to the Tapus (even Koko if beside Togedemaru) and just generally walls a lot of things. The EVs ensure that its attack is higher than its defence, while having enough bulk to have a good chance of survivng LO Jolly Wild Charge from Koko in Electric terrain, as well as a decent chance of surviving -1 Adamant max attack Flare Blitz from Marowak and always surviving Adamant max attack Flare Blitz from Arcanine (and a LO one at -1). Sub Leech Seed incredible for setting up on things that you wall and Heavy Slam hits like a truck from this thing.

Salazzle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Overheat
- Sludge Bomb
- Encore

This is definitely the member I am least sure about. It just doesn't seem to function as well as I had hoped. Salazzle is here to provide fast Fake Out support (having the second fastest Fake Out in the tier behind Weavile and Raichu in electric terrain) and to deal a good chunk of damage before dying. Encore is here to lock Pokemon in to unfavourable moves and to deter Protect, giving me free turns to wail on their partner with PZ. But in practice it just doesn't seem to do much. I was considering replacing it with a dark resist, but I'm just not sure what would fit.

Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 76 SpD / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Thunder Wave
- Roar
- Taunt

Gyarados is here as a bulky intimidate mon that pairs nicely with the next member, acting as a ground immunity for two of my 4x weak members and as a solid TR check. The EVs allow Gyarados to outspeed max speed adamant base 70s with the rest in bulk. Almost certainly can be optimised but I can't really think of any important benchmarks to hit at the moment. Waterfall for STAB, Thunder Wave to cripple faster mons and speed control, Roar to guarantee that Trick Room doesn't get set up if I suspect the opponent is running Mental Herb and Taunt as a way to guarantee that my opponent won't Protect the next turn, prevent setup and just general shenanigans. I most likely would have replaced Taunt with Icy Wind if that was legal this format but oh well.

Togedemaru @ Assault Vest
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Atk / 84 Def / 68 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Zing Zap
- Poison Jab
- Nuzzle

And finally Togedemaru. I really didn't have high expectations for this thing, but it really performms its role nicely. It walls Koko + Raichu and HP Groundless Xurkitree, beats the rest of the Tapus, threatens Celesteela, provides Fake Out Support, protects my team flying types from electric moves (bar discharge) and spreads status without worrying about misses. The spread was completely ripped from Wolfey's analysis video on it, all the information on it is on there.

Conclusion

So yeah, that's the team so far. I'm definitely not a fan of the lack of dark resist, but I'm not sure how crucial that is really. I'm definitely a huge fan of how the team isn't reliant on hitting inaccurate moves, with the only inaccurate moves being Overheat and T Wave, both having a great chance to hit. Let me know your guys thoughts, I'm open to any suggestions :)​

hey there friend, interesting team you got there. i'm just gonna be blunt here and tell you this team is built around a somewhat gimmicky strategy that may work against less experienced players but likely won't perform well against most others. simply put, most vgc teams that are overly reliant on set-up sweepers do not perform consistently because they can easily be disrupted by moves such as fake out, taunt, and others. however, i'll try to rate this team as best i can and offer suggestions to improve it, although personally i would try to build a new team around a more viable strategy.

my first recomendation would be to change psychic and dark pulse on porygon-z to discharge and ice beam, respectively. this gives you vastly better coverage, a spread move to threaten both opponents, and another celesteela check.

next i would change tapu lele to tapu koko. since your team is a bit on the slow side, you'd appreciate a fast attacker. it also boosts the power of porygon-z's discharge which is nice. tapu lele is a bit awkward on the team anyways since its ability cancels fake out, which is your main way of allowing porygon-z to set up.

now i would swap salazzle for garchomp. as you said, salazzle seems really nice on paper but doesn't work well in practice. garchomp gives you a great partner for celesteela and immunity to electric so you can use discharge on porygon-z with no worries.

lastly, there are a few set changes that could vastly improve your team. first, you ought to change substitute on celesteela to wide guard. this blocks opposing earthquakes, preventing togedemaru and tapu koko from being ohko'd. speaking of togedemaru, i would change poison jab to gyro ball. poison jab's only real benefit is hitting tapu bulu harder, which isn't a huge threat to your team. in general gyro ball is more useful since it hits harder and has slightly better coverage. finally, i'd change roar to protect on gyarados. having both roar and taunt on gyarados is unnecessary because both moves check trick room, and protect is just super useful in any doubles metagame.

tl;dr, my major suggestions are:
-->

-->

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 44 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Conversion
- Protect

Togedemaru @ Assault Vest
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Atk / 84 Def / 68 SpD / 4 Spe
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Nuzzle
- Fake Out
- Gyro Ball
- Zing Zap

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 244 HP / 196 Atk / 60 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Wide Guard
- Protect

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 76 SpD / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Nature's Madness
- Protect

hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)