SM OU First trick room team

Hi everyone, I,m new here. This is one of my first teams. It’s a trick room team. I came pretty high up on the ladder with this one, the highest score I ever got with this team is 1400 and a little bit. I’ve tried other teams but this one just works out best for me. Also, my English isn’t very good.

The team:

Nihilego @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
Shiny: Nu
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Sludge wave
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem

Nihilego is my stealth rock setter from the team. I usually send him out first, try to set up both trick room and stealth rock. Power gem is for OHKO at Moltres and thornadus. Especially Moltres is was a problem before I got this Pokemon in the team. Sludge wave helps getting rod of opposing magearna and other strong fairy types. If I manage to get a KO with it it also becomes a sweeper thanks to beast boost and trick room. With the ev’s in hip and attack it hits hard and can take a hit itself. Focus slash wil also sometimes help

Audino @ Chople Berry
Ability: Healer
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Toxic
- Healing Wish
- Knock Off

This Pokemon is my main support and my second trick room setter. It has enough bulk to take a hit or two, giving it the opportunity to set up trick room. Toxic is to annoy Pokemon and force them to use a healing move or switch, giving me a free turn. Healing wish is the most important move on this Pokemon. It allows me to bring other Pokemon with low hp and status conditions back into the game. Knock off is to prevent this Pokemon from being complete taunt bait, and it always helps to remove items. Too bad it doesn’t knock off z Crystal’s. with this ev’s it can most of the time take at least one hit. Chople Berry is to prevent super-effective fighting damage or at least weaken it

not pokeball (Magearna) @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere/thunderbolt

Magearna is my main sweeper in the team. This thing is a beast with trick room on. With z Cristal and the ev’s it can always take at least one ko
And with flash cannon I can take care of other fairy types. With soul-heart as ability it can stack u damage. I normally have aura sphere, but thunderbolt is also a valid option. It’s basically the choice between hitting Ferrothorn and Toxapex.

Rockhead (Marowak-Alola) @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Shadow Bone
- Swords Dance

This Pokemon is basically here for the damage. With the tick club, basically a free swords dance, it’s able to hit hard and fast with trick room.
Without, this thing is completely hopeless. Flare blitz + rock head is a fantastic combination, i’ve Also tried lighting rod, but in my opinion rock head is better. Earthquake is mostly for Heatran, switching is and hoping for a flare blitz. Shadow bone is to hit those stupid ghost types who always try to switch in and get a free KO. Swords dance, not used that much but still very good. I stole the ev’s from Smogon because I had no idea what to do

Biting bug (Vikavolt) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 atc / 0 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

This is my electric type, it can gain momentum with volt switch and hits hard with thunderbolt and bug buzz. Hidden power ice is for dragon types, switching in and expecting a thunderbolt. The ev’s ensure that it hits as hard as possible, and the choice band also helps. Bug buzz also helps with psychic types

Pineapple (Tapu Bulu) @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Megahorn
- Superpower

My last team member, tapu bulu, it carry’s a choice band. Wood hammer is for the quick KO, horn leech is for the long game. Choice band + horn leech is still pretty strong. Megahorn is for coverage, and superpower is for hitting Ferrothorn hard. With these ev’s it can take a hit and grassy terrain gives good healing

A problem with this team is that it often struggles against hazard setters and slow tanks. For example, if an opposing trainer manages to get multiple spikes and toxic spikes up, I can’t really do anything against this. A defogger/ rapid spinner would come in handy.

Last edited:
A couple of notes:
Mega Audino isn't worth using at all over other megas like Mawile or Camerupt. Cresselia is also one of my favorite TR setters, and I would recommend it over that Nihilego set. You can even give it a Mental Herb since Taunt really chokes out your TR options and leaves you playing with a slow team. Speaking of Mega Camerupt, adjust your team to include something that deals with it. Because currently it 6-0's your team under TR.

ScalchopFren

is my name really that hard to read?
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Few things on my end (TR = Trick Room):
  • Nihilego is way WAY too fast to even consider running with a TR set. Even if you're desperate for rocks, there are several Pokémon that fulfill the role of hazards+TR setter more effectively. Necrozma, Stakataka, Carbink, and especially Uxie and Bronzong are all far better users of this strategy.
  • Audino is a very very bad Pokémon and should never be used on a serious TR team in OU. Cresselia is not only a much better Pokémon, but also something that can run a very similar set to what you have with your Audino because of Lunar Dance. Mental Herb Cress is a good idea for your team; it's OU's most popular TR setter for a reason.
  • Your team is ungodly weak to Heatran. While you do have various offensive coverage moves for it - those being EQ on Alolawak and Superpower on Bulu - only one Pokémon on the current team is not weak to either of Magma Storm or Earth Power, both of which are very common moves on Heatran. Not to mention the prevalence of Taunt Heatran, which could potentially shut down a chunk of your team. Mega Camerupt is also a big (albeit rare) threat to your team as Charisma mentioned, since its low Speed means it can take advantage of your TR and kill everything with its ridiculously strong STAB moves without much trouble. Unfortunately there are very few options to deal with Fire and Ground coverage on TR teams, but your best bet might be Crawdaunt or possibly Azumarill.

good idea! I switched nihilego for Bronzong and audio for crelissa. Also I switched tapu bulu for amazurill

A bit suspiciously similar to this team from early sm, but then again I know that trick room teams usually turn out looking similar to each other even when made by different people. That being said, I'd love to drop a rate, but it would probably just end up being that team except with these two to replace audino and his bronzong and azumarill over bulu, like you said. I've never taken too much of a liking to vikavolt, because electric gets eaten or resisted by so much and he gets shut out totally by magnezone, kommo-o, av mag, and probably some others that I'm forgetting. I guess he could just volt out on those mons too, which would be a decent setup for some kills with a mawile or someth. Anyhow, good build and it's good to see more people trying out TR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)