ORAS PU First PU Team with an entry to ORAS Competitive

Yo, Smogon. This is my first RMT thread since I've gotten back into competitive pokemon after getting out of it around Gen 4. After seeing what all is different now, I've found I really like the PU tier as I've always had an affinity for running some of the more terrible mons around. I'm not too high on ladder as I just started a couple of days ago, but I've really enjoyed using this team so I figured I'd share.

Catch-A-Ride (Drifblim)
@ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Def / 36 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Knock Off
- Substitute
- Will-o-Wisp

One of my favorite 'Mons of all time, and one of my favorite sets for it. Most people seem to expect the Calm Mind set, and let me set up Subs. It his surprisingly hard with boosted Acrobatics, and Knock Off works well on switch ins. Will-o-Wisp is for the early game to cripple many mons in the tier before Drifblim comes back in the late game to clean up when things like Golem are dead and gone. Also the HP investments let Sitrus Berry get activated after 2 subs, or 1 sub and Stealth Rocks.

Daewoo (Rotom-F)
@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Trick

My favorite Rotom form, but sadly, probably the worst of the bunch, just due to how bad ice is defensively. On this team he serves as a revenge killer, or late game sweeper by spamming Blizzard or Thunderbolt. Ground immunity is also a plus as Probopass, Pawniard, and Arbok all bait in EQ users and Rotom can come in easily and kill most with a big Blizzard (providing it actually hits for once). Trick also cripples certain bulky Eviolite dependent mons that are a pain for this team. Also puts a massive dent in Bouffalant and kills after hazards that likes to come in vs Tangela

Bobby Fischer (Pawniard)
@ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

I've been trying out different stuff in this spot (Was originally Simipour, and then a Relicanth). A Psychic immunity never hurts, plus it's pretty bulky and can sponge strong Normal stab moves from things like Chatot and can set up on Exeggutor and Tangela.

Olfactory (Probopass)
@ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 84 Spe / 172 HP
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rocks
- Earth Power

The usual dedicated lead for the team, and crucial for setting up Rocks. It has a very offensive spread, which catches many people off guard. Downside of him being is teams have an Electric immunity lead (Golem, Marowak, etc) that prevent it from pivoting out after setting up rocks. Flash Cannon and Earth Power can put a large dent in most things that try to challenge it as well. Rocks are crucial to get down for this team as well, as Rotom and Driblim aren't the strongest of attackers.

Rapunzel (Tangela)
@ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 HP / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Ice
- Sleep Powder

The tankiest little ball of vines around, and surprisingly powerful as well. Comes in easily vs a lot of the Water and Rock/Ground times running around PU, and hits back hard with Leaf Storm and Giga Drain. He also acts as a lead vs teams with Golem and Marowak, as they beat Probopass (Marowak ohkos with Bonemarang through Sturdy), and Tangela can hit them hard with Leaf Storm, or just put something to sleep if they attempt to switch. Regenerator is also amazing as he can come in, sponge a hit, put something to sleep or put a big hole in something, and then dip to do it again later.

Trouser Snake (Arbok)
@ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Coil is probably one of my favorite moves in the game, and is perfect for setting up accurate Gunk Shots. After a coil or two, not much stands in it's path. The difficulty lies in setting up, as the only things it can really set up reliably on are things like Tangela, Roselia, or other Grass types as it's so frail. Psychics such as Grumpig, as well as Ghosts like Dusknoir also give Arbok pain, but ideally those are damaged by hazards as to be Sucker Punched or taken care.

So there you have it, my first RMT. I'm sure the synergy isn't the greatest, but I'd be glad to hear what any of you have to say on it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi cheeseomlett, and welcome to Smogon! Before I start the rate, I just wanted to let you know that "SpD" is Special Defense, and "Spe" is Speed. I'm assuming you mean Speed in most of these, so that's how I'll be rating.

Right as I looked at your team, I noticed a huge weakness to Swords Dance Monferno, which has the ability to set up against Pawniard, Tangela, and Rotom-F locked into Blizzard, and basically clean sweep your entire team. In order to combat this problem, I suggest you change Probopass --> Stunfisk, which will help to check Monferno as well as big threats such as Pawniard and Zebstrika, which are also potent threats to your team.

Life Orb Floatzel is also a pretty big threat to your team, as it has the capability of OHKOing or 2HKOing your entire team. While you have a way to revenge kill it in Rotom-F, I don't think this is a reliable enough way to beat Floatzel, so I'm going to suggest you change Tangela --> Roselia, which allows you to take on special Floatzel pretty well. Spikes also benefit your team a lot, as you have a spinblocker in Drifblim and a Defog deterrent in Pawniard, while Arbok appreciates the weakening of its checks and counters for easier sweeps.

tl;dr

Probopass --> Stunfisk:

Stunfisk @ Leftovers | Static
248 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA | Bold
Stealth Rock / Earth Power / Discharge / Toxic

Tangela --> Roselia:

Roselia @ Eviolite | Natural Cure
80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe | Modest
Leaf Storm / Sludge Bomb / Spikes / Synthesis

Hope I helped :toast:

Reactions: g

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey man, this is a pretty solid team here. Unfortunately it has a severe lack of resists to common attacking types, meaning that Fire- and Water-types just run through you. I think you need to take it in a more offensive direction, and Tangela is really sapping your momentum. Replacing it with Leafeon gives you a nice check to offensive Water-types which just blow through your team, and since you don't particularly need passing boost you can fit Double Edge, which works as a cool lure to Monferno which can help out Pawniard, or the mon I'm going to suggest next. I'd also replace Pawniard here, it's a good Pokemon but really stacks weaknesses to Fire and Fighting, and you still don't have a solid Water resist. Assault Vest Bouffalant can check more things that you really have nothing for and lets you Pursuit stuff to make it weaker for Blimp and Arbok to get through weakened teams. I played a couple of test games and it seemed fine. Still a bit annoyed by monferno but nothing Arbok+DE Leafeon couldn't handle, although if you'd like something more solid for it then you could try Altaria over Bouffalant and Passho Berry on Probopass, which sounds like a nice way to play around waters on paper, although without Bouff it's definitely more Electric weak. This is definitely a more offensive way to take the team though, and if you'd rather have reliable switch-ins to everything then the above rate goes more on those lines. Anyway, I hope this helped. Solid team.

Leafeon @ Yache Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Double-Edge

Bouffalant @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Megahorn
- Frustration
- Earthquake

Reactions: g
Thanks! Fixed the SpD/Spe stuff, and will test out some of your suggestions. I meant to mention some things that have been trouble for me, and common pains were like you mentioned, Floatzel, Zebstrika, Monferno, as well as some things like Grumpig.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Hi Cheeseomlett cool team you got there.
The basic idea behind the team isn't bad, but the first thing I noticed is that your team is slow paced, and has a pretty weak typing synergy, which makes you struggle against most offensive threats such as Floatzel, Zebstrika but also other Electric-types, Monferno, Grumpig, as you already mentioned, but I think another threat here is Rock Polish Regice, as your team has no switch-ins for its coverage, while if it sets up a Rock Polish you have to try Tricking him Choice Scarf or wearing him down to a point where you can revengekill him with Rotom-F or a Sucker Punch user, but these are all pretty sloppy ways of dealing with Regice and you would still lose at least 2 Pokemon handling it.

My suggestion are to first replace Probopass with Stunfisk, as Dundies said. Honestly, I really like Probopass in this team, and I was going to suggest you running Magnet Pull over Sturdy, as it would've had a pretty good synergy with Drifblim to trap and KO Steel-types it struggled with, but you have to sacrifice it for something that can at least check the many offensive threats you struggle with, and Stunfisk gets the job done here. Stunfisk is able to check most of the Pokemon that can threaten your team, mostly Monferno, Pawniard. Electric-types, and Normal-types such as Stoutland and Dodrio. Stunfisk's ability along with Discharge also allows you to net some paras, which are beneficial for your team as it's really slow paced. You can deicide to either run Passho Berry or Leftovers: Passho Berry provides you something to bait in Water-types, which are a pain for your team, and KO them, while Leftovers are pretty good to stay healthy and help checking the many offensive threats you struggle with, it's a preferential choice, so it's up to you to choose which one you want to run.

Then, replace Tangela with Audino. This change might sound weird, but I think can help you dealing with or pivoting on the rest of the threats that could annoy your team. I would've preferred to have kept a more offensive shape to this team, but some threats such as Regice and Water-types are too big to get left unchecked, so you have to account them. Audino, thanks to its Specially Defensive bulk and access to Regenerator, can be a blessing when facing strong special attackers such as Floatzel, Regice, and Electric-types if Stunfisk perishes. Even if Audino can't directly into Regice, it can provide you a less sloppy way to at least check it thanks to Thunder Wave which severely cripples most set up sweepers, such as Regice itself. Thunder Wave support is also really good in general especially since your team is slow-ish and can create some kind of paraspam if Stunfisk manages to net some paras too. Access to Wish is also great for your team, specifically Stunfisk, as Audino has a pretty good synergy with it, and helps it constantly switching on physical attacks and not faint too early.

Stunfisk @ Passho Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Thunder Wave
- Double-Edge / Knock Off

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, cool team and I'm glad your enjoying the tier!

Firstly, I would like to say I completely agree with Dundies that Roselia and Stunfisk are better options than Tangela and Probopass for your team. They provide overall better defensive synergy, helping you deal with particularly Water- and Electric-types which don't have difficulty weakening your team. However, I think defensive Roselia would be more helpful for your team as having a solid Water resist for a more balanced team like yours is often crucial, as Pokemon like Timid Gorebyss, Floatzel, and Scarf Simipour are big threats and can sweep if your team gets weakened. Roselia's Spikes are also helpful for Drifblim to weaken its checks on switch ins, as Pokemon like Zebstrika will be coming into the field a lot.

Next, I think you should try Floatzel over Arbok. Although this may not seem crucial, as Floatzel doesn't immediately beat this teams weaknesses, but I feel it will seriously help your matchup vs opposing offensive teams and provide a more reliable revenge killer, as Rotom-F will often be switching into Stealth Rocks. Floatzel also provides a stronger wallbreaker with more immediate Power and can pressure Rock-types better than the rest of your team, helping Drifblim possibly sweep late game, while also providing a better check vs offensive Fire types like Substitute Ninetales.

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Protect / Toxic

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Baton Pass

Hope I helped!

So I've taken your all's advice, and had much much better success with going

- >

- >

- >

Some comments:

Floatzel is a monster. Kills basically everything that threatens me. Thanks for the suggestion Anty .

Roselia is fantastic, and I've actually gotten some sweeps with it late game.

I've still had some issues with Zebstriaka, Dusknoir, and Heatmor. Any suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)