XY OU First ORAS Team

|
|
|
|
|

Really quick note on some constraints. I'm trying to build an OU team I can use both on PS and in-game, so I'm limiting myself to things that are reasonable (do note: I'm already obsessively breeding 5 IV pokemon so that in and of itself isn't a limitation). But I'm not planning on getting rare/legnedaries with perfect IVs so those are mostly out. This is also my first few days getting back into competitive battling since Gen II so I'm way out of date. I've spent a ton of time reading (and playing on PS).

Most of the members of the team are set up as standard versions found on Smogon - I'm mostly looking for tips on changing/improving move sets (or even dropping one pokemon) to improve the team synergy.

I know this team has some obvious shortcomings, but I was surprised by how well I've liked it's performance so far (maybe I've just gotten ~15 easy matches) and wanted to know how to fix the obvious problems. Without further ado, I present "A Dance with Dragons"

Introduction

So this team was based off of me falling in love with Mega Charizard X and wanting to use him as the basis for my team. While reading up on the current gen meta, I saw multiple notes about how Charizard X and Dragonite could work together (by basically drawing out many of the same counters and thus using one to set up the other). However, I didn't love the idea of using two Dragon Dancers (I'm still not great at figuring out which things are safe to set up on) so I decided to make one a DD user and the other a Choice Band user. I'm still currently on the fence about this, but it's actually worked pretty well in my matches thus far (other than when I make stupid switches because I'm still learning the meta).

I'll let you know now that I'm aware that I lack a few move types that I know I should carry (namely Ice and Dark, among others) but I just haven't found a place for them to fit yet. I'll note in my pokemon descriptions which ones I'm considering completely swapping to get that type of coverage.

The Team

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Roost

I guess I should list it as a Charizard, but (while I know this is a bad reason to pick a pokemon) I love his looks so much I decided to just list him as is. I've always been a little more comfortable with slightly bulkier pokemon rather than relying on outspeeding everything, and once this one gets set up it's rarely an issue anyways. I will admit, however, that my bulky preference leaves this team without a good revenge killer. Anyways, this is stolen directly from the smogon page on Charizard, using the bulky DD setup. I currently have been running Earthquake so that it can counter Heatran without needing to switch out, but I also know that I'm running earthquake on so many other team members that it's likely going to waste here. I am considering replacing it with Flare Blitz for better STAB damage, which can healed with Roost (and relying on the team to take care of counters even more). Most of the other team members are dedicated to countering this guy's weaknesses.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Despite my earlier statement about preferring bulk, I've currently been using the speed EVs on Dragonite to essentially make it an imitation Charizard (in terms of overall stats). I feel like this might be a mistake (and maybe I should fully invest Charizard into speed and let it be the speedy one, and then dedicate Dragonite to being a bulkier version - comments?). Anyways, the goal here isn't to cover Charizard's weaknesses, it basically serves as my backup sweeper (and Extreme Speed user for when that's necessary). Because of Multiscale, I've also used him to switch into threats not covered by the rest of the team (once entry hazards are cleared) to pick off things as needed. My main debate is if Fire Punch might be better replaced by Ice Punch here (since my current team setup lacks an Ice Attack).

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

This is one member who I'm happy with, but makes me rethink the use of Earthquake on both Charizard AND Dragonite. He can't really switch in on many of their big threats, though, so I'm inclinced to keep those movesets somewhat as-is. My main use for Excadrill is as a Spinner and Stealth Rock user. I've not put his other moves to great use yet (but that's often because I use him sub-optimally, I believe). I've been considering dropping him and using a suicide lead to stealth rock (and giving Skarmory Defog). But I like that his hardiness means I've often been able to reset stealth rock after killing an enemy spinner/defog user. I do feel like I'm wasting Excadrill's potential, however, given the rest of my team.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Skarmory made the team because of it's ability to tank and phaze. I'm not sure it's the best choice, but it's also relatively attainable for me (as someone who only has access to Pokemon X and trades). I've been thinking about switching Skarmory to be my entry hazard / defog member and switching out Excadrill entirely (for a grass type like Breloom or Venusaur). But his phazing abilities have proven invaluable in my fights so far.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom made my team to help increase type coverage, and also to deal with Hippowdon (since my team lacks another way to really respond) as well as helping with Landorus. Will-O-Wisp has also proven to be very helpful in allowing me to switch in another team member against physical threats (and just the burn damage).

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Clefable has, thus far, served as my cleric for the team. His Unaware ability has also saved me when I have foolishly let someone set up against me with something Skarmory cannot switch into safely. I'm pretty set on keeping Clefable (as it has saved Charizard from nasty statuses a lot) but would be willing to consider re-thinking the EVs on him and Skarmory (to make Clefable a dedicate Special Attack tank, and switching Skarmory to a dedicated physical tank).

Conclusion

This team was, perhaps foolishly, designed to try to protect Charizard from it's biggest threats (Stealth Rock = Excadrill, Talonflame = Dragonite, Azumarill = Skarmory, Slowbro = ?, Landorus = Rotom-W, Mandibuzz = ?, Quagsire = ?, Hippowdon = Rotom-W, Altaria = Charizard/Skarmory). It also tries to keep Charizard healthy (by removing stealth rocks and countering multiple threats) until he can switch in on something and setup with one or two dragon dances.

My biggest concern is that I think I've spread myself too thin. I think dropping Excadrill (and making Skarmory my defog/hazard pokemon) and adding a grass type might be helpful. But I'm not sure. I know I should have probably done more fine tuning myself, but I'd appreciate some advice on this particular choice.

Thanks for reading, and sorry if this is considered to be a "triage" team that shouldn't be used.

Hey man. This is an interesting team you've got here, which uterlises some very potent and strong Pokemon in the metagame (Zard X+Clefable), while having some obscure and uncommon Pokemon (SpD Excadrill+Dragonite). With this said, I think your team has a lot more potential to unlock and I'm here to do so! I also wanted to mention before I jump straight into this rate, that I'll try and take in your limitations that you mentioned to the best of my ability.

OK, so the first thing I noticed about your team was, the lack of answer to Zard X, with your best means currently being to revenge it with Dragonite assuming his is in range of Extreme Speed, he hasn't boosted or your multiscale is in tack. This is a very unreliable method, considering that Zard X has multiply ways to set up a Dragon Dance, whilst keeping healthy and with how common rocks are, your not gareenteed to always be able to keep your multiscale in tack. This can be pretty easily fixed however, with the simple use of Thunder Wave > Will-o-Wisp on Rotom-W. With Rotom-W being able to eat pretty much any hit that Zard X want to throw at it, it can easily come in and cripple it. This allows you to have a much easier time revenge killing it with your own Zard X or Dragonite. Losing Will-o-Wisp's support is kind of annoying g, but it better than losing from team preview verse Zard X carriers.

Next thing I notic, was the unessary responsibilities you have pushed on to your Excadrill (Stealth Rocker+Spinner). This Pokemon already doesn't have the longest life spam, due to it having reliable recovery, so making it do an extra job can cut it already short life spam in half. This can be easily avoided however, with the use of Stealth Rock > Iron Head on Skarmory and Toxic > Stealth Rock on Excadrill. Skarmory having access to Reliable recovery makes it a much more reliable way to get up Stealth Rocks, whilst also relievating the pressure place on Excadrill. Iron Head was replace, because it is typically only used when ones team doesn't have an answer to fairy types, which yours clearly does. Toxic was chosen as the replacement move on Excadrill because, it allowed you another reliable way to deal with Mega Sableye, as well as catch some of Excadrill's most common switch ins like Hippowdon.

The finally thing I saw with your team, was the lost potential in your Zard X. With it missing out of one of its greatest assets in Flare Blitz, which allows you to 2hko Unaware Clefable and completely destroy teams with its absurd power. This is why I suggest you run Flare Blitz > Earthquake on your Zard X. Earthquake was chosen to be replaced because, you already had two other Earthquake users, which seemed very unnessary.

That all I have to contribute for now, but I I come up with something else to input, I will. I'd also hope you were able to get something out of this rate and that it's able to positively impact your team!

Hey, thanks so much for reviewing. I really appreciate the feedback and you addressed many of my biggest concerns. I do think you're right about the changes to Excadrill and Skarmory (I'm still not sure on the switch to Thunder Wave on Rotom-W - but I do see why it makes sense, given my preference for slightly slower pokemon). I think I'll incorporate your suggested changes and make Skarmory my main Stealth Rock pokemon and give Charizard Flare Blitz.

But if I switch Excadrill to use Toxic over Stealth Rock, should I just consider replacing him entirely with another member (as mentioned, I was considering a grass type)? Or is he better used as a psuedo-bait for his switch ins and then using toxic? Also, I know this is a lot to ask, but if I give Charizard Flare Blitz, should I consider giving Dragonite a different move to replace Fire Punch (like Ice Punch)?

Again, thanks so much for the feedback (and for taking my limitations into account). These forums have always been so great.

But if I switch Excadrill to use Toxic over Stealth Rock, should I just consider replacing him entirely with another member (as mentioned, I was considering a grass type)?
You could Consider Using Ferrothorn > Excadrill. As in all honesty, it does share some of the same defensive utility as Skarmory, making it rather redundant to have. The reason I suggest Ferrothorn, is because your fairly Azumaril weak, considering that Skarmory is Special Defensive which wont be taking it's hit too well, which is kind of bad as the main Switch in. It also helps handle things like Manaphy, which could be a serious thret if It's CM+RD, as your Clefable is substetable to burns and crits, as well as it being able to tank Rotom's Volt Switches after +1. There are some draw backs from this though, being that you lose your electrict immunity and Volt-Turn teams can have a lot more fun then usual. Your forced to then run Defog > Brave Bird (You need Iron Head this time, because you lost your best way of dealing with Clefable) on Skarmory, as other wise you really will get destroy by Volt-Turn and Hazard Stack in general. Other than that though, It's a fairly nice replacement for Excadrill and I recommend using this set:

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

The given EV spread with a Relaxed nature lets Ferrothorn fare well against both physically and specially oriented opponents. Allowing it to eat 2 +3 Ice Beams from Manaphy, Hyper Voice + Focus Blast from Mega Gardevoir and is 3hko'd by +1 mMega Gyarados's Earthquake. Power Whip is to give you a move to hit the water types you plan on checking with Ferrothorn, while Gyro is for Fairies and Fast Pokemon in General. Stealth Rocks, because there pretty much needed on every team and Leech Seed as a way to get some health back, considering Feroothorn has no reliable recovery.

Also, I know this is a lot to ask, but if I give Charizard Flare Blitz, should I consider giving Dragonite a different move to replace Fire Punch (like Ice Punch)?
Ice punch would be a nice addition, as you don't actually have any Ice coverage on this team, which can be used to smack Bulky Chomp, Lando and Defensive Gliscor for a huge amounts of damage. Only draw back to not running Fire Punch on Dragonite, is that after you lose Charizard X, your team pretty much gets walled entirely by Ferrothorn, which is kind of an issue. In my opinion, I would personally just keep Fire Punch for that reason, as you can already deal with Bulky Chomp, Lando and Defensive Gliscor fairly well.

Hope this cleared some stuff up for you and your able to make so improvements off of it!

Hey, just wanted to follow up with another thank you. I've made the discussed updates to the team and it's been doing much better. I still lose a decent amount, but I'm learning from my losses (and many of them are due to not thinking about coverage moves my opponent might have for my switch ins). While my team is, I'm sure, far from optimal (given my constraints) you were a huge help and I think my team is much better off now.

Thanks again o/

EDIT: For any interested here's the updated PS team...

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave
- Rest

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)