SM OU first ever team please give me tips

first team ive ever made it feels decent when i play it but id love tips/suggestions

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover
- Shadow Ball

Not much to say about alakazam its the fastest mega in ou and outspeeds or speed ties any non scarfer as well as outspeeding slower scarf users, hits super hard and pairs well with tapu leles ability to set psychic terrain which make its stab psychic even stronger. Its a great late game sweeper in or out of terrain once any speedy scarf mons that can revenge it such as ash-gren have been knocked out.

Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Banded weavile is the landorus-t answer. Banded ice shard will always OHKO any variant of landorus that isnt max hp and max defense and even then will ko with around 10% chip depending on the roll, locking into knock off on a switch prediction or in front of a mon low enough to die to knock off will also allow you to catch potential switch ins to it and immediately get rid of its item, the most common of which in my experience are heatran, AV magearna, and gren. Scarf gren or AV mag are both great mons to immediately remove the item on because they're both big problems for this team if not weakened quickly espevially magearna since both of my steel type answers in magnezone and ocassionally tapu lele struggle to touch this mon when it has its AV and is above half health. Weavile also beats hawlucha without its unburden boost using icicle crash even at full health and beats unburden boosted lucha with ice shard at around 50% or lower

Tapu Lele @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

Another pretty straight forward standard Mon, sets terrain for zam, allows you to potentially deny terrain for opposing hawluchas, switches in well on fighting and dragon types and can often revenge kill them as well as potentially deny any opposing kommo-o its boosts from the z move if it switches in on it, OHKOs specially defensive heatran with the z move after 1 calm mind or with focus blast after 2 calm minds and even a single non CM boosted focus blast will put it in range of alakazams focus blast, it also does around 50% to the AV variant of magearna after a knock off from weavile with +1 all out pummeling. Its primarily to weaken things for zam, weavile, and magnezone to clean up but against the right team if it can get a couple calm mind boosts it can also be a sweeper itself

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 8 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Zone is my primary answer to any steel types besides AV magearna and heatran, its even able to 3 hit ko a full health specially defensive ferrothorn that attempts to stall you out with leech seed and protect and 2 hit kos all other forms of ferrothorn, 1-2 hit ko on steelix both regular and mega, and can also deal with non av or knocked off magearnas who arent running focus blast, 2hko on mega mawile, and also speedy volt switch and tbolt for water and flying types making it a great greninja answer despite usually underspeeding it unless theyre running the low kick variant of gren.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
Rotom-w is here mainly for bulkiness and the ability to defog. Its a great lead as well since its able to deny hazards for anyone who leads with their hazard setters as well as being able to pivot around on non ground types and switch in on potential ground type moves due to levitate. Will o wisp allows you to weaken physical attackers as well as to get constant chip on poison type mons since they can't be hit by garchomps toxic. Its a great answer besides weavile to landorus-t as its able to burn it then knock it out or at least get it extremely weak with hydro pump.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Toxic

Garchomps is this teams rock setter, as well as its toxic user, i opted for a mixed set to be able to hit steel type mons immune to earthquake such as celesteela if my opponent isnt expecting fire blast and then I'm able to punish switch ins with EQ or toxic tho this chomps primary purpose is just to get chip on physical attackers primarily hawlucha who after hitting garchomps twice will die to ice shard from weavile, or possibly magnezone if lucha doesnt have his unburden boost. And if youre able to get a toxic off on a physical attacker the chip from him will add up even faster taking a total of around 35% after just one turn of rough skin plus helmet and the first turn damage from toxic and then the damage output gets bigger every turn that they stay in and attack after that

Last edited:

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least 3 lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this. If you need help with the explanations, you can use the smogon dex for help.

Edit: Opened!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)