ORAS Doubles OU First Doubles Team Ever

Anyway, this is my first Doubles Team ever so bare with me. The highest rank I ever got was 1450 on the ladder, which is pretty great for me. Anyway, here it is

Mega Charizard Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze/ Drought for Mega
EVs: 248 HP/64 Def/88 SpA/108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solarbeam
- Hidden Power Ground
- Protect

Mega Charizard Y is the core of the team as well as the lead. I usually start him off with a Drought Heat Wave and paired with Fake Out Sableye. He hits extremely hard in the beginning with Heat Wave and Solarbeam checks Water, Rock, and Ground types. Hidden Power Ground is there for extra coverage and Protect is to keep me safe while I switch someone else in to handle a threat he can't check.

Venasaur@ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorrophyll
Evs: 160 HP/252 SpA/96 Spe
Modest Nature
-Sludge Bomb
-Giga Drain
-Sleep Powder
-Protect

Venasaur works really well with Charizard because he checks his enemies really well and is my defense against Fairy-types. Chlorrophyll after Drought makes him the fastest on the field and he hits hard with STAB Sludge Bomb and Giga Drain. Sleep Powder has saved me out of some tight situations but has also screwed me over, but its still quite useful. Protect keeps me alive if I have to wait out a turn.

Terrakion@Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Evs: 252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Rock Slide
-Close Combat
-Quick Guard
-X-Scissor
Terrakion hits hard and fast and tends to be a late game sweeper and a check for many other Pokemon that wall this set like Heatran. He does tend to go down easy but Close Combat and Rock Slide are fantastic STABs. Quick Guard saves me from Mach and Bulelt Punch, while X-Scissor saves me from Psychic-types.

Cresselia@Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
Evs: 252 HP/100 Def/44 SpA/112 SpD
Calm Nature
-Icy Wind
-Thunder Wave
-Psyshock
-Light Screen
Cresselia is a sponge for a lot of these hardhitting attacks and a fantastic switch-in. Once she's there, she specializes in Speed Control, with Icy Wind slowing their whole team down and giving me an Ice-type attack that I unfortunately don't have anyway else. Thunder Wave slows them down a lot as well and Psyshock gives me a Psychic attack and Cresselia some offensive presence. Light Screen makes it hard for special attackers to really do much of anything

Landorus-Therian@Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Evs: 248 HP/52 Atk/116 Def/92 SpD
Adamant Nature
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-U-Turn
-Knock Off
Earthquake is a strong STAB that hits both other Pokemon really hard and checks quite a few threats. He works especially well with Cresselia because he can spam it without hurting his partner. Stone Edge gives him extra coverage and U-Turn and Knock Off do as well. Hits a lot of Pokemon with some hard damage.

Sableye@Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Evs: 252 HP/72 Def/184 SpD
Impish Nature
-Will-O-Wisp
-Fake Out
-Quash
-Recover
Sableye is my lead with Charizard and he uses Fake Out to flinch whoever Charizard's big threat is, letting him notch off at least one free powerful attack. After that, he usually provides Prankster support for one of my powerful attackers. Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers and provides a great drain for a lot of Pokemon. Quash makes it so whoever I have will go first over faster Pokemon and Recover keeps him fighting until the end.

Final Thoughts:
This is my first Double Team and one of my first teams period since I'm just getting into competitive battling. I've noticed Trick Room teams have given me a lot of trouble in the past but I've gotten better at handling them lately. What can I do to make the team work better?

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
This team is pretty nice, sable sun is a very neat concept.

I've only got a few minor suggestions:

x scissor terrak isn't awfully necessary, it doesn't outspeed any psychics anyway. Imo, protect is far more important. If you need x-scissor to hit trick room setters, you'd probably be better off just using taunt> quick guard.

Have you tried lunar dance on cress? It's one of its better support options, allowing you to bring back a weakened teammate. You could swap out twave, which gets a bit overkill combined with icy wind.

Happy Thanksgiving! Neat looking sun team :p

As Yellow Paint said(3:) X-Scissor Terrakion is not very good, it doesn't OHKO any relevant psychic type in doubles and protect would be better. I would actually keep Quick Guard because it keeps Venusaur from being Brave Birded by Talon or Twaved by Thundurus and Terrakion isn't something I would leave out on Trick Room setters to try and stop them and can't just stay out on offensive mons predicting them using a non attacking move and Taunting. I don't really see much wrong with your team other than your "odd" sets on Cress and Lando, the fact that you're using a Sableye(a rather uncommon mon), and that you don't have much to switch into and handle dragons (Latios/Hydreigon/Kyurem-B). So I would suggest changing Cresselia's set to a Trick Room one either Calm Mind, offensive with expert belt, or one with Ice Beam>CM. The next thing I would change is make Landorus-T a Sylveon to benefit from the Trick Room and beat the dragons that you have trouble with either choice specs or pixie plate with Calm Mind. Last thing I would suggest doing is giving Venusaur enough speed to out speed Jolly Scarf Landorus-T(not that common but could come in handy) so 232; that also gives it a Life Orb number which is cool!

Hope I was of some help, if you have any questions about the team or doubles in general feel free to ask. :] Also test out the different things I suggested with Cress and Sylveon and see what works best.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 88 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Cresselia @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock

Sylveon @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 1 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fake Out
- Quash
- Recover

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
imo a fatter CM sylv w/ lefties would work better with semi-room, since you can set up on special attacker before they move so they do shit damage, and you can get the jump on physical attackers at +1 or +2 with less worry about dying before getting hit

ayano (Sylveon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 204 HP / 188 Def / 116 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 1 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect
- Calm Mind

is what i use for that, idk it might be worth taking for a spin. you could adjust the spe iv's, nature, to get some cool underspeed / speed creeping based on preference

deomouto is cute :3

Last edited:
not much to add after my seniors above pointed out most of what i would have, but perhaps you'd wanna try moonlight>icy wind on cresselia, too fully take advantage of charizard-y's drought ability , since it raises recovery rate to 75% i think.

maybe you;d wanna try taunt>x scizors on terrakion if not protect since it helps vs tailwind and trick room, with an unexpected taunter

i think venusaur's speed is pretty good at the moment, it outspeeds deoxys-attack (and aerodactyl mega i guess) which is most of what you need anyways imo, so i dont think you have to waist bulk to beat jolly lando as it's relativly weaker

the rest mostly includes personal preferences, such as bulky charizard isnt my type, but it might work with quash so i'm leaving that to you, same as the lando item with leftovers>scarf. something i'd recomend actually is wide lens/coba berry on venusaur (if you use coba, u can maybe afford protect on terrakion), or sashing terrakion since that makes them a lot safer, which suits me well, but its up to you. cool team !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)