Feraligatr (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 8 Def / 140 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Counter

Counter on a sweeper? Yes. Feraligatr is able to take hits and Counter hits pretty hard. Take Swampert as an example, whose Earthquake does between 33-39% to Feraligatr. If you Dragon Dance on its switch-in, Counter back its stupid Earthquake, which brings it to maximum 37% HP. Then Waterfall, 39-45% damage, Swampert gone.

Also Counter works on some other idiots like Rhyperior (OHKO with CB, 67-78% without).

I am willing to bet Gyarados does this better because of the whole Intimidate thing. And higher Attack. And Taunt. And ability to switch in on EQ. Only edges I see to using Feraligatr is that its Special Attack doesn't completely blow so you can give Rhyperior a run for its money (but after a few DDs you can expect it to be trembling) and the lack of an SR weak.

But for all other purposes Gyarados does the job better. That's not to say that Feraligatr can't pull it off (it certainly can), but Gyarados generally does the task better.

And a Brave Dragon Dancer doesn't sit too well with me...I would probably go with Naughty.

Ice Punch should be used over Dragon Claw for the SE against Ground, and Grass as well as being 4X effective against Dragons.

Feraligatr seems too slow to be an effective Dragon Dancer, base 78 with no Speed EVs won't be outspeeding much even after a Dragon Dance.

Consider this, a Raikou with 252 speed Evs, neutral nature, will still outspeed that Feraligatr after it Dragon Dances for the 2HKO with Thunderbolt.

Ideally, you'd want Dragon Dance/Ice Punch/Waterfall/Earthquake.

I made that set up a while ago like 2 or so weeks, I don't know.. it'd work, too bad I can't get both Ice Punch and Dragon Dance on him since I don't have Emerald for the tutor Dragonite needs to pass on both moves..

I'd go with this moveset instead:

Dragon dance
ice punch
water fall
focus punch

FP for pokemon on the switch. Because there's going to be a lot of switching. Ice punch, while 5BP less than dragon claw, can be 4x against dragons, 2x versus flying/grass/ground/rock. Finally, waterfall for STAB, but is a bit redundant even then since ice shard covers a lot of those types.

I picked Waterfall/Dragon Claw for the type coverage. Only Steel/Grass and Steel/Water resist it.

Earthquake is able to handle the first one and the other one doesn't exist.

Consider this, a Raikou with 252 speed Evs, neutral nature, will still outspeed that Feraligatr after it Dragon Dances for the 2HKO with Thunderbolt.
Also, run 176 speed EV's if you want to outspeed Raikou after a Dragon Dance.

EDIT: 270 Attack Feraligatr's +1 Earthquake on 339 HP / 185 Def Raikou: 94-100% damage

Unboosted is still a 2HKO, so, let's see it switch-in.

I'd go with this moveset instead:

Dragon dance
ice punch
water fall
focus punch

FP for pokemon on the switch. Because there's going to be a lot of switching. Ice punch, while 5BP less than dragon claw, can be 4x against dragons, 2x versus flying/grass/ground/rock. Finally, waterfall for STAB, but is a bit redundant even then since ice shard covers a lot of those types.
Main reason to use Feraligatr, like Gyarados, is to beat Waters unlike many other Dragon Dancers. With this moveset, Feraligatr is walled by waters 100%.

I am willing to bet Gyarados does this better because of the whole Intimidate thing. And higher Attack. And Taunt. And ability to switch in on EQ. Only edges I see to using Feraligatr is that its Special Attack doesn't completely blow so you can give Rhyperior a run for its money (but after a few DDs you can expect it to be trembling) and the lack of an SR weak.

But for all other purposes Gyarados does the job better. That's not to say that Feraligatr can't pull it off (it certainly can), but Gyarados generally does the task better.
I think the word "Swampert" is enough explanation =/ Also, a number of Bulky Waters carry HP [Electricity] just for Gyarados.

I'm sorry but you can't just go ahead and list it as a Swampert counter just because it doesn't do that much damage to you...lol

With your best move (Waterfall), while unboosted (and with your EV's), you do a rather sad 19-23% to a max defence and HP pert. Even one with no defence EV's takes 29% max, still a 5HKO, while the same Swampert (no attack EV's) does 31% to you, a clean 4HKO.

I don't like the idea of over-emphasising Feral's goodish defences, just give him a little bit of speed and then just max his Attack/HP imo.

I picked Waterfall/Dragon Claw for the type coverage. Only Steel/Grass and Steel/Water resist it.

Earthquake is able to handle the first one and the other one doesn't exist.

Also, run 176 speed EV's if you want to outspeed Raikou after a Dragon Dance.

EDIT: 270 Attack Feraligatr's +1 Earthquake on 339 HP / 185 Def Raikou: 94-100% damage

Unboosted is still a 2HKO, so, let's see it switch-in.
With 176 speed EVs, your special defense will be lacking, meaning that Raikou will be doing a lot more than before. Also, 300 is pretty shitty for a Raikou who's max is 361. I wouldn't count on seeing a competitive Raikou on wifi that has less than 350 Spatt.

With Feraligatr's subpar Attack stat (face it, 105 base is pretty shitty compared to most of the other offensive pokemon now) requires you to use super-effective hits in order to do decent damage, before and after Dragon Dance. Dragon Claw doesn't get STAB, is only SE on Dragons (which are better dealt with using Ice Fang/Ice Punch), and has a meh base power of 80.

I'm sorry but you can't just go ahead and list it as a Swampert counter just because it doesn't do that much damage to you...lol

With your best move (Waterfall), while unboosted (and with your EV's), you do a rather sad 19-23% to a max defence and HP pert. Even one with no defence EV's takes 29% max, still a 5HKO, while the same Swampert (no attack EV's) does 31% to you, a clean 4HKO.

I don't like the idea of over-emphasising Feral's goodish defences, just give him a little bit of speed and then just max his Attack/HP imo.
Well, that's not a counter, I never said it was. It just has the ability to beat Swampert. With either DD Waterfalls or Counter.

Well, I'm thinking of changing to these EV's.
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 8 Def / 140 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

Does 39-45% damage with +1 to Swampert, while taking 33-39% from Eathquake. Counter brings it to maximum 38% HP so Waterfall for the KO if you've Dragon Danced on the switch-in.

I don't care about metal penguins.

Great... It can kinda sorta beat one poke, and loses to exery metal penguin.

Hes just not that great of a pokemon, and having a hard to breed chain to get moves isn't really helping him too much.

I don't really like him, I prob won't use him too much either, so many pokes do what he does better.

And its not like, oh, ok, lets call him OU. Its whether people use him or not.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
No, Feraligatr will not be OU. Just because it got a few more toys to play with doesn't mean that it will be OU; Gyarados still completely outclasses it unless you use Swords Dance, and that will make you slow and rather defenseless.

Oh well, I'll probably throw it in for some novelty on my team anyway. I used to like this thing back in GSC.

I don't know about counter, though. Another attack could add more coverage.

Unlike Gyarados, Feraligatr isn't pwned by some OUs like Tyranitar, Infernape and some other guys with Stone Edge. And isn't OHKOed by any Electric attack, either.
Gyarados counters won't work on Feraligatr, so this alone is a big reason to use the crocodile.
Probably he'll raise to BL.

At least Gyara has ways of coming in on beasts like CB Heracross, LO Infernape or whatever thanks to Intimidate and nice Fighting/Bug resists. Feraligatr is never going to be able to come in on boosted STAB CCs or Megahorns, which those pokes will be using more often than Stone Edge, and doesn't have Intimidate, so I don't see how Feraligatr has any edge on Gyara at all in that respect.

Standard Starmie still 2HKOs any sanely EV'd (i.e., not max HP + a ton of sp def) Feraligatr with Thunderbolt whilst taking all of its attacks easily so that's at least one (the most common really) Gyara counter that also beats Feral. It's not getting past Dusknoir either, with no Taunt to prevent WoW (probably the second most common).

Saying that Feral can beat Swampert isn't exactly a convincing argument for why it's good either as Gyara is one of the best Swampert counters around. After Intimidate even the never seen Stone Edge is a 3HKO on Gyara which is pretty much what EQ is on Feral.

I don't think this guy is even going to get close to OU.

My set right now is:

Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Ice Fang
Crunch

Would I be better off with Brick Break of Earthquake to help cover any major threats?
Waterfall hits TTar, but Brick Break would basically always kill it, and Weavile, but Weavile probably dies from DD Waterfall anyway.

Earthquake would offer better coverage than Crunch though, wouldn't it?

Ice Fang is there because it is only 10BP lower than Ice Punch, and can flinch.
In my opinion, that's good enough for me to not try hunting down someone with Emerald to put Ice Punch on a Dragonite with DD. >_o

He is much better this generation but unfortunately he still isn't good enough to shoot down all the pokemon who I'm assuming will wind up in OU, at least not in terms of general-usage.

Like, Tyranitar, Rhyperior, Salamence, Garchomp, Blissey, etc.. they all have their own purposes, and can do it better than Feraligatr does his, case in point, Gyarados does Dragon Dancing better in terms of team coverage.
Even though Feraligatr has the potential to defeat Gyara 1 on 1, Gyara is more useful.. Feraligatr is nowhere near as useful as Blissey and her other OU friends are.

He still owns though he just isn't good enough to be considered on most standard teams.

Why would you pump his low SDef instead of his nice Def? Just to lol at Raikou? Gyara works with a Def boost from 79 base thanks to Intimidate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)