Fairy Tail

This is the correct place to post anime/manga discussion threads, right?

"Fairy Tail is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Hiro Mashima. It has been serialized in Weekly Shōnen Magazine since August 2, 2006, and has been published by Kodansha in 30 tankōbon volumes as of January 2012. An ongoing anime produced by A-1 Pictures and Satelight was released in Japan on October 12, 2009, and has spawned three original video animations. The series follows the adventures of Lucy Heartfilia, a teenage wizard who joins the titular wizards' guild and teams up with fellow guild member Natsu Dragneel as he searches for the dragon Igneel. An anime film entitled Fairy Tail the Movie: The Phoenix Priestess has been adapted from the series and was released on August 18, 2012.

The series was originally licensed for an English language release in North America by Del Rey Manga, which began releasing the individual volumes on March 25, 2008 and ended its licensing with the 12th volume release in September 2010. The series was taken over by Kodansha USA Publishing, which continued its North American release. The Southeast Asian network Animax Asia aired an English-language version of the series for two seasons from 2010 to 2012. The anime has been licensed by Funimation Entertainment for an English-language release North America."
- Wikipedia

Some questions to start discussion off, I guess...

Have you ever read a manga chapter of Fairy Tail or have watched an episode of it (dubbed or subbed)?

Who is your favourite character(s)?

What arc is your favourite thus far?

Do you think there should have been a plot twist in any part(s) of the manga/anime, if so, where and why?

Are you up-to-current with either the manga or anime?

I'm still keeping up with it, although it's honestly probably my least favorite manga at the moment. There's a huge overuse of deus ex machina - more so than in Bleach - plus there are plot holes and annoying fillers even in the manga. It can be comic at times but sometimes tries to overplay the sexuality of the characters to the point where it's tiring.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This is like one the trashiest shonens out there. It overuses a cliches, has stock character & stock archetypes, the arcs are short & basic (some are even throwaway) and it's extremely predictable. Also there's too. much. fanservice. I'm not too bothered by myself, but its irksome to see all (not some) all of the female characters overly sexualized. I'm not a white knight, but its really grating when Erza's bare ass if visible in serious fight. (for fanservice done right, see One Piece)

I still read it, but that's 99% because of Erza (<3) and 1% because of the fight scenes.

<---- I also love Erza <3

This is one of those rare occurrences where the anime is way better than the manga. I actually don't really like the manga, PK sort exampled it pretty well. The reason why I read is to just to find out what happens sooner.

Imo, the anime really tones down the fanservice and I think it presents the story a lot better. It also has probably the best soundtrack I've ever heard from an anime and it's just too damn funny. Though the one thing I've been impressed with is the filler arc that it's end right now, because it's amazing. It achieves at reusing old characters, but giving them a fresh reintroduction while keeping with the original story. (I also don't know if it was planned to have some type of connection to what is going on in the manga right or if it's just a coincidence, but it feels like it's actually part of the story unlike Bleach or Naruto). The only problem with it is it's centered around Lucy.....again. -_-

Personal preference, I'm not a big fan of it. I read it and stuck with it for a while, but that was mainly just because I loved Elfman, and after his fight with Bacchus, I sort of stopped reading it.

And yeah, I'll admit it's really cliche. We have the shy girl, the hotheaded fire idiot, the exact opposite of him, the motherly figure (Erza), the main girl who's actually sane, the antihero, etc. While most manga's do have these, they don't lay it on as thick as Fairy tail does.

The fanservice and the main characters winning all the time begins to get boring after a while and it just gets too predictable. I'm sorry, but the only part that excited me was when they fought the apocalypse dragon.

So yeah, those are my thoughts, but that doesn't mean what I say is final. Just what I personally think of the manga.

Looks like episode 151 tomorrow will be the start of the Tournament arc, can't wait - finally finished with fillers, gah. Yes!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)