Monotype Electric Team SS

Hello everyone! I have been a long time player, almost never posted, but have decided to finally do one of these RMT bad boys. So lately I have taken a liking to monotype teams, and I tried out just about every type before I fell in love with the electric team variations. I changed the team probably about a dozen times before I finally found this configuration. Let me know what you think, any feedback is appreciated! Anyway, enjoy!

@

Ability- Electric Surge

EVs- 252 SpA | 4 SpD | 252 Spe

IVs- 0 Atk

Nature- Timid

Thunderbolt | Volt Switch | Dazzling Gleam | Hidden Power [Ice]

**So, there very first Pokémon I chose was Tapu Koko. The benefits of Electric Surge pump up my electric moves, don't allow me to fall asleep, and that is just too good to ignore. Now, I actually have the option on this team, based on what line-up the opponent has, to either run Koko as my lead to stop certain leads that try to spore me, dragon types that will try to build up early, or something that is just generally weak enough to immediately take out. Choice Specs REALLY gives it that extra power to wipe out most of its target, and its natural speed allows it to naturally out speed most of them. Thunderbolt is there for when power and reliability are necessary; Volt Switch allows us to do damage (and usually a good chunk) and pivot, Dazzling Gleam gives us out STAB fairy move to take care of dragons (Koko can almost single handedly wipe dragon teams), and Hidden Power [Ice] if I predict the switch in to something like a Gliscor or something similarly typed. Overall, Tapu Koko is a no brainer for this team.

@

Ability- Galvanize

EVs- 176 HP | 196 Atk | 136 Spe

Nature- Adamant

Stealth Rock | Stone Edge | Return | Fire Punch

My usual starter for this team. So long as the enemy team does not have anything that the rest of my team can not handle (i.e. Volcarona), you can either switch into a pivot to see what will happen OR you can surprise a lot of people and do some significant damage. Now, A-Golem lacks recovery and speed, so the livelihood of this mon is typically short. That is okay, so long as it gets the job done, and they don't have any means of hazard removal, it's totally okay for this mon to go down fighting. Galvanize is there over Magnet pull, because as you will see in a bit, there is already a Steel-Trap on the team (that does the job much better, mind you), but it also allows for a very powerful Electric-typed Return. Steal Rocks for hazard setting, of course. Even if they are just a distraction, hazards are useful. Stone Edge is there for things that resist or are immune to electric types moves. Fire Punch is there if you just so happen to get the chance to hit a steel-type mon, however, more often than not, one of the other slots are much more viable choices. BEWARE OF GROUND TYPE POKEMON. You have to switch, as it is death to stay in.

@

Ability- Levitate

EVs- 248 HP | 212 SpD | 48 Spe

IVs- 0 Atk

Nature- Calm

Volt Switch | Hydro Pump | Will-O-Wisp | Defog

The first half of the pivot-defensive core of this team, Rotom-Wash wields excellent defenses to neutral types moves, excellent type coverage, utility, and it offers a much needed ground immunity. As part of the Pivot-Core, Volt Switch deals solid damage, especially if brought out during an Electric Surge. Will-o-Wisp and Defog are there for utility. This mon's job is to pivot, deal with hazards, and cripple enemy pokemon. The fact that it is able to do solid damage via Volt Switch and Hydro Pump should not be the main concerns when running this baby. Having leftovers does offers some decent recovery, though not as good as Pain Split over Will-o-Wisp (though I ultimately did decide on WoW.)

@

Ability- Static

EVs- 252 HP | 176 Def | 80 Spe

IVs- 0 Atk

Nature- Bold

Volt Switch | Heat Wave | Roost | Toxic

The second half of the pivot-defensive core, Zapdos makes it's appearance. Now, the fact that physical contact with this Pokémon can paralyze the enemy is a HUGE benefit. Glass cannons that come in (i.e. Mega-Lopunny, and immeasurable others) will fear hitting it for neutral hits. Of course, you do have to be aware of rock type moves, but everything has a weakness! Offering another ground immunity was pivotal (ayyyyy) for the team. Zapdos's job is to scope out the enemy, induce toxic, and switch out. Very seldomely, Zapdos will have the opportunity to use Heat Wave against something with x4 weakness, but most people are aware of the Heat Wave threat. That being said, it is necessary. Roost offers improved recovery over just Leftovers, because a turn or two of Toxic-Stalling can change momentum of the game quite quickly.

@

Ability- Magnet Pull

EVs- 76 HP | 252 SpA | 180 Spe

IVs- 0 Atk

Nature- Modest

Hidden Power [Fire] | Thunderbolt | Volt Switch | Flash Cannon

These last two slots are probably what changed the most. I ran Zeraora, A-Raichu, Thunderus, Magnezone, Heliolisk, and quite a few others. No matter what I found, Bulky Grass types were a HUGE problem for this team. Venusaur, Celebi, Cradily, Tapu Bulu, Ferrothorn, etc., all needed a way to be dealt with. ENTER MAGNEZONE. Magnezone offers the most reliable means of dealing with any of these threats, while at the same time offering us a poison immunity (which is handy). At most, 2HKOS happen on every one of these babies via Flash Cannon. Ferrothorns, Celesteelas, Jirachis (who are locked into anything except Fire Punch), all fall in 2HKOs to Hidden Power [Fire] AND they can't do anything about it. Lastly, because this is a pivot-heavy team and Magnezone does offer some decent bulk, Volt Switch takes a slot. Thunderbolt for reliable, heavy, STAB electric damage. When you don't know if the enemy is going to Thunderbolt of Volt Switch, how do you choose what to do?! :D

@

Ability- Volt Absorb

EVs- 200 Atk | 108 SpA | 200 Spe

Nature- Naive

Plasma Fists | Close Combat | Grass Knot | Knock Off

Last, and certainly not least, we have the final piece to the puzzle. Now, I hated using my last slot for ANOTHER legendary pokemon, but it was either Zeraora or Thunderous anyway (who was replacing my A-Raichu for this slot), so my guilt ended very quickly. Play wise though, this was definitely for the best. Zeraora takes this slot out of its sheer viability. Now, this set is altered a bit, and for good reason. Plasma fist is an absolute must. One of the last issues this team needed to cover was the general Normal Team bulkiness, and a way to deal with Gastrodon, Swampert, Hippodawn, and multiple other ground types in general. I mean, wow, what a move set! Knock Off, Grass Knot, AND Close Combat?! I mean, I couldn't have asked for anything else! Plasma Fists against normal types is also invaluable, granting it immunity to normal types moves that turn. 200 Atk/ 108 SpA gives enough power to deal with things in 2HKOs for the most part, while 200 Spe allows you to outspeed things like max speed Mega Lopunny by just a few points.

'Nuff said. Gimme your feedback, ask questions, and offer constructive criticism! We see a lot of electric teams out there, but I feel like this offers the best overall coverage and usefulness. :)
Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Golem-Alola (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Galvanize
EVs: 176 HP / 196 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Return
- Fire Punch

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 212 SpD / 48 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Toxic

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Zeraora @ Expert Belt
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 200 Atk / 108 SpA / 200 Spe
Naive Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Close Combat
- Grass Knot
- Knock Off

Last edited:
Hey! I have a few changes that will optimize your team a bit, but this is a really solid team, so good job building it!

First, the only big change is because, like you mentioned, you're weak to Grass-types. In particular, Mega Venusaur can be a huge pain for your team. Nothing on your team really beats it. Although Magnezone can 2HKO it on the switch, that requires Magnezone to somehow get a free switch in, and Mega Venusaur beats it otherwise. I think the best solution is to run a lure set on Zeraora. If we use Z-Bounce along with Bulk Up, Zeraora becomes an incredibly good answer to Grass-types along with checking Poison teams at the same time, which is a type you really struggle with. To do this, we will lose Grass Knot. However, you have two great answers to Ground-types in Rotom-W and Zapdos. Your Zapdos, unlike most, can cripple every Ground-type with Toxic except Excadrill, which drops to Heat Wave. I think Grass Knot is ultimately overkill for your team, especially since Ground teams really aren't that common. Thanks to Knock Off crippling Porygon2 and Chansey, dropping Close Combat is also fairly doable. We also want to move your Special Attack EVs to Attack and Speed. Your current EV spread doesn't outspeed Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu, which is a huge threat to Electric teams, and so we definitely want to fix that.

Other than that, we want Zapdos to outspeed Jolly Breloom so that you can easily beat it with Heat Wave. It would be rather bad if our Breloom check was free Spore fodder (not effected by Electric Terrain!) and KOed by Rock Tomb, since Breloom is otherwise a huge threat to your team. Simply moving EVs from Defense to Speed will solve this issue with a spread of 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe.

I also think your Alolan Golem should consider running an Explosion set. With Focus Sash, it doesn't really synergize well with your HP EVs, so if we just maximize damage and Speed, Alolan Golem can be a lot more effective. Explosion fits in nicely with the suicide lead idea and can nuke almost anything. Mega Venusaur can be crippled because it can't Synthesis off the damage as Alolan Golem explodes, leaving it with very little health and unable to check the rest of your team. Even Tapu Bulu is almost OHKOed by Explosion. As you mentioned, Fire Punch is not really that useful, so I think it's best to use something that will be!

I hope that helps and good luck with your team!

Zeraora @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Bulk Up
- Bounce
- Knock Off

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Toxic

Golem-Alola (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Galvanize
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Return
- Explosion

Thanks for your input, I hadn’t even considered Z-Bounce on Zeraora. That would definitely helps fix the ev spread and give it more power. Same with Zapdos, and Golem. I will try these fixes and see how they work. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)