E3 2012 Thread

Do any of this generation's consoles have a controller similar to the WiiU?
Yes, that's a compelling argument.

As far as I'm concerned Naxte hits the nail right on the head. While the Wii U doesn't exactly look like a powerhouse, that doesn't mean it isn't a next-gen console. A generation is a generation.

Pricing is another interesting issue. Technology continues to get cheaper so I'm anticipating $300 - $350 price tags as well. Which is actually quite cheap.

Another topic that bothers me is how quickly PC's are growing. Technology is evolving faster and faster. What's impressive this year won't be impressive the next year as far as hardware goes. This back-end of this generation is burning out very quickly, and a key reason for this is technological unrest in current consoles. As much as I enjoy my PS3 and Wii, I don't know if I'm really sold to get either of their next-gen counterparts if there's no way for them to keep up to an extent with rapidly evolving hardware.

I'm probably ranting and will certainly end up buying a PS4, but I'm still curious if devs have pondered over the topic of replaceable hardware.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWONDER BOOK

Am I the only one super excited for the new star wars game? Seriously, there are no star wars fans on this website.

Am I the only one super excited for the new star wars game? Seriously, there are no star wars fans on this website.
So, I just saw this new 1313 info + some gameplay; http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/06/05/e3-2012-star-wars-1313-move-over-drake

So far, it actually looks pretty good. I know a lot of people would have prefered another Force-user based game, but I love the underworld of the Star Wars universe and from my experience, non-force SW usually has great story, gameplay and an amazing atmosphere to it.

Though I do have high hopes, this is LucasArts we are talking about, and if they mess this up I don't think i'll have the room to forgive them. Just look at their gaming track record; Unleased II, SWTOR (somewhat), Kinect. Not to forget this fucking BS; http://uk.gamespot.com/news/lucasarts-wanted-star-wars-battlefront-iii-to-fail-says-dev-6375176

Negatives so far is that it looks like it will be Coruscant only, though an early Empire ruled Coruscant is something we haven't really seen yet. Though I guess it's not fair because we haven't really seen ANY details at all on the Bounty Hunter, not playing as Boba Fett is somewhat a negative. Still, original characters could be intresting and from the gameplay we've seen, they don't seem too bland (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U08QNPk0ZNE). I personally can't wait for more info and see what the story is really about.
^posted 9 days ago...

Oh boy I hit the beehive this time.

How do you know? Do you know the price of multiple next gen consoles? Why would the starting price for the next generation be so much lower than for this one?
No, I don't know the price. But I would hazard a guess that not a single one of them wants to have what happened to Sony during the PS3's initial launch happen to them.

Talk of the Wii U very quickly led to talk of new consoles from Sony/Microsoft. They tend to release these as close together as they can to compete, hence generations. Or was this a stab at the Wii U's graphical power? Do you already know what the other major consoles next gen will be capable of?
Talk of the Wii U was not what led talk of new consoles from Sony and Microsoft. Age is what started that talk. It IS the end of the cycle. The consoles have become outdated when compared to PC. (With the Wii coming out outdated.)

That's silly. Was the Dreamcast a "next-next" gen console before it released. Was the PS2 a "last-gen" console when compared to the Xbox and Gamecube? Using power to determine generations doesn't make sense in any way. It's by release--the Wii U is the Wii's successor, ergo, it's a next-gen console. Anything else is illogical, especially considering the actual definition of generation:

It's in no way useful or practical to determine console generations any other way.
The Dreamcast should have been in the group with PS2/Xbox/Gamcube. But Sega was in a mess when that released. Look at Sega's history, they always jumped the gun and released new consoles -too- fast without letting their current one ever actually mature fully. Not to mention how expensive they were for their time.

And about all the generation stuff, you're just being picky. Yes it's coming out in the 'next' generation, but is it really any different than a Wii with a tablet? They showed NSMB for it.. then showed the exact same game with the exact same graphics on a 3DS. Hopefully it can do more, I really hope it does. Like it or not, graphics are important. Maybe not for Nintendo owned titles like Mario and Link. But, why play something like Darksiders 2 on a Wii U, when its prettier on another console? Can the Wii U even handle new, exciting titles like Watchdog?

To me, it feels like Nintendo just.. skipped this generation honestly until now with the Wii U. Like, Gamecube and the Wii could have been in the same generation as NOTHING changed but motion controls and the size of the disc.

Do any of this generation's consoles have a controller similar to the WiiU?

But in seriousness, uhm, yeh. PS3 has Vita I guess, which is probably more laughable in its own right and Microsoft is rolling out that smart glass which turns ANY phone/tablet/etc into a Wii U controller pretty much. Which is all find and dandy technology wise, but neither three I find particularly enthralling when it comes to games.

And if I'm wrong about the Wii U in any shape or form, here's a gif you can use on meeee http://i.imgur.com/ZJSxC.gif

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
But in seriousness, uhm, yeh. PS3 has Vita I guess, which is probably more laughable in its own right and Microsoft is rolling out that smart glass which turns ANY phone/tablet/etc into a Wii U controller pretty much. Which is all find and dandy technology wise, but neither three I find particularly enthralling when it comes to games.
Smart glass doesn't work with games, though. Plus the phones/tablets/etc don't have buttons.. I don't know how people could play a serious game without actual buttons that you can press.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Talk of the Wii U was not what led talk of new consoles from Sony and Microsoft. Age is what started that talk. It IS the end of the cycle. The consoles have become outdated when compared to PC. (With the Wii coming out outdated.)
Just as with the last generation, we have not hit the ceiling of what these consoles are capable of. And what if we did? Does gaming need to look better? I've seen articles where people thought the Watch Dogs trailer was done using the PS4 because the character puts his hands in his pocket. If so, the PS4 looks underwhelming. Is it worth the crash that the next consoles are going to cause? 300 dollars is wishful thinking. Maybe Sony wishes they could ship out a next gen console at that price, but they'll be taking even heavier losses as a result. Current PC graphics cards cost as much as 300 dollars.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Current generation consoles can barely put out 30fps at 720p. I don't think we need new consoles right away, but we could definitely use better hardware. New generation of consoles don't use the newest graphics cards and never have. They usually use custom video cards based off of cards from a year or two prior.

We don't need new video game hardware to cause a crash anyway! We're doing a good enough job of it with the current generation.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
We don't need new video game hardware to cause a crash anyway! We're doing a good enough job of it with the current generation.
So true, but it's definitely not gonna be any easier if the price of the games go up (and not only might they have to with current triple A practices, but plenty of developers wouldn't mind the excuse).

I just played Bastion and it was one of the best games I played in the last few years. It feels really good to be an Indy developer right now.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
That actually wasn't meant as a joke. I'll ask it again. Can any of the current consoles do what the WiiU controller allows the WiiU to do? Can you switch between the TV and the controller on a 360? Can you use two screens on a PS3? You can dislike it for whatever reason, we've all got our own tastes in games, but the WiiU's controller makes it a new and unique system that can do things and control games in ways that no other current system can. Smart Glass is nothing like the WiiU. Even they don't make that suggestion.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Paper Mario looks amazing already, I really can't wait to get my hands on that game.

That actually wasn't meant as a joke. I'll ask it again. Can any of the current consoles do what the WiiU controller allows the WiiU to do? Can you switch between the TV and the controller on a 360? Can you use two screens on a PS3? You can dislike it for whatever reason, we've all got our own tastes in games, but the WiiU's controller makes it a new and unique system that can do things and control games in ways that no other current system can. Smart Glass is nothing like the WiiU. Even they don't make that suggestion.
And this is exactly why I'm getting a Wii U. My main console is a 360 and I'm very much looking forward to Smart Glass, but it isn't going to be the same. Similar maybe, but far from the same. And the Vita is hard to argue for unless Sony themselves pioneer it, which they failed pretty bad with Move, but even then it would be closer related to Smart Glass than the Wii U.

The biggest difference between them is necessity; there won't be any Xbox or PS3 titles that absolutely require the Smart Glass/Vita, it'll be completely optional so whatever features they might possess will be pretty minimal. They can't put anything too major there without alienating a large group of consumers (this applies more to Vita than Smart Glass since its pretty universal, but one can't assume people will use Smart Glass even if they have the option). On the other hand Wii U titles will always have and use the tablet interface, meaning developers will utilize it for pretty significant things, something I think ZombiU is looking to demonstrate.

Pikmin 3 actually doesn't require you to use the tablet controller at all. I don't see the tablet as a herald of a new generation at all.

On the other hand Wii U titles will always have and use the tablet interface, meaning developers will utilize it for pretty significant things, something I think ZombiU is looking to demonstrate.
Which is why so many third party developers used the wiimote to make such significant things and exclusive titles, right?

Pikmin 3 actually doesn't require you to use the tablet controller at all. I don't see the tablet as a herald of a new generation at all.
Pikmin 3 is a game that started the majority of it's development time as a Wii title before it ended up getting moved over to the Wii U. Not sure why you're trying to just use one title to argue how important the tablet is, and would pick Pikmin 3 to be that game. In any case, just from what we've seen:
-ZombiU
-Rayman Legends
-Nintendo Land
-Project P-100

All actually do make use of the Wii U GamePad to do some interesting stuff.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I'm not at all trying to say that the WiiU is going to be the best system out there, or that you've GOT to buy one. To each his own. But to say that it's not a next gen console, or that it isn't unique is pretty dishonest.

To stop others from coming to baseless conclusions, I'm not here to "devalue" the tablet's importance to the Wii U. Obviously it's a core feature, but I legitimately don't believe it's a fantastic, revolutionary leap forward or a symbol of the new generation.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Arch never said it wasn't a new gen console, he just said that it was, but using the tablet was a stupid criteria fucking get it right. It's unique and Nintendo is awesome we understand Mattj.

That being said, the tablet is an interesting concept, but I'm going to wait for it to actually come out and see what developers can do with it. Then I'll start drawing conclusions.

I'm not at all trying to say that the WiiU is going to be the best system out there, or that you've GOT to buy one. To each his own. But to say that it's not a next gen console, or that it isn't unique is pretty dishonest.
I would buy one if they made new versions of games that have just been rehashes with minor diffrences such as metroid and starfox.Also i don't understand why they don't make another f-zero game? it's been year's since the last one. D:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)