ORAS PU Dragon Tails, Dragon Tales

Before I begin, some music for you to listen too as you enjoy this RMT, because I guess thats a thing :)

Or if you like other music:

Introduction
Alright everyone, lets begin. I'm mostly an OU player, but I decided to give PU a try, and it turns out I love the tier. I love the excitement it gives me because you don't always see 3 of the same Pokemon on every single team, like in OU. What the PU tier has is very special. So, I decided to attempt to build a team with it. It sort of went okay. I decided to find some of the fastest and/or strongest Pokemon in the tier, and attempt to build a very offensive PU team, because thats how I play OU battles. I finally noticed that you could use NFE's in the PU tier, so I decided to grab and use both Fraxure (from the NFEs) because it's evolution is a very good set-up sweeper, so I figured Fraxure must be decent as well. I also grabbed Gabite from the PU tier because like Fraxure, its evolution is very good. I decided to build the team around these two Pokemon, especially Fraxure. With that being said, lets dive into the team.

The Squad

Electrode @ Zap Plate
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Signal Beam

I decided to adde Electrode for the team because of its ability to provide momentum in the form of Volt Switch. As I've found out, Volt Switch is one of the top moves in the tier, hitting a lot of Pokemon very hard. Electrode is also able to handle Avalugg, a Pokemon that can be detrimental to both Gabite and Fraxure. Signal Beam was added to hit Maractus for SuperEffective damage, along with Pawinard. HP Ice hits Gogoat, Leafeon, and Marowak for SuperEffective damage. Zap Plate is run over Life Orb to conserve Electrode's HP yet still boost attacking prowess, as it can live a surprising amount of hits from full health.

Fraxure @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Poison Jab
- Facade

Fraxure is the set-up sweeper of the team, and is a dang good one at that. With Base 117 Attack and okay Speed for the PU tier, Fraxure hits both hard and fast. Setting up a Dragon Dance, Fraxure boosts it's Attack to a staggering 549, and its Speed to an incredible 350. A Life Orb was used to increase Fraxure's damage output by a ton, allowing to pick up even more kills. Facade is run on Fraxure to counteract any burns it may obtain, allowing to hit just as hard as it normally would with Facade. Poison Jab was added to hit the obscure Fairies in the tier, like Wigglytuff and Clefairy. Fraxure has ample opportunity to set up with Electrode providing valuable momentum, but has trouble dealing with both Gigalth and Avalugg, even at +1. Used as a later-game sweeper, Fraxure can decimate teams. The only downside to Fraxure is that it doesn't get Earthquake likes it's fully evolved form.

Ursaring @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Play Rough
- Crunch

Ursaring is a powerful attacker in the PU tier, with Guts-Boosted Facade hitting everything in the tier
very hard. With great coverage in Close Combat and Play Rough as well, Ursaring is a top tier threat in PU. I decided to opt for a bulkier set as to ensure it's longevity, as the burn damage can really wear it down. Flame Orb is used over Toxic Orb because Flame Orb has the same effect, but burn does less damage and Guts ignores the Attack drop. After almost getting swept by a SD Shedinja, I added Crunch to the set. Crunch also hits Drifblim and Banette for SuperEffective damage. Ursaring is usually used on the team to break down Fraxure's walls, allowing it to sweep easier, but can also act as a second win-condition.

Gabite @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge
- Roar

Gable is the second Dragon-Type Pokemon on the team, and is a powerful one at that. With the powerful EdgeQuake moveset combo and Dragon Claw, Gabite can hit most, if not all, Pokemon in the tier for neutral damage. With a Life Orb on top of that, Gabite hits very hard. Gabite is also decently fast, hitting 289 Speed with a Jolly Nature. Roar is used to deter any possible set-up sweepers, like Clefairy (at least ones who get greedy) and being able to phaze Regigigias back into Slow Start. Gabite can also be used as a sac to physical attackers once it's low, using Rough Skin to damage physical attackers.

Dodrio @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Quick Attack

Dodrio is the revenge killer of choice here. With great Base 100 Speed, Dodrio is able to outpace both Frogadier and Chatot, two of the fastest threats in the tier. Dodrio also has great Base 110 Attack, allowing it to hit faster and harder than Fraxure without a Dragon Dance up. Facade is the only good Normal-Type STAB you're able to run on Dodrio apparently, so thats a given. Brave Bird is Flying-Type STAB, and Roost is reliable recovery, allowing Dodrio to switch into Stealth Rocks and recover Life Orb/Brave Bird recoil as well. Quick Attack is used to hit Pokemon that have set-up Speed, and now outspeed Dodrio. Quick Attack is probably the main selling point, making Dodrio the revenge killer it was always meant to be.

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Rapid Spin
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Recover

Cryogonal replaced Avalugg on the team after multiple suggestions from different people. Cryogonal is used to get rid of the ever-so-present hazards, including Stealth Rocks and Sticky Web, the two hazards that trouble the team most. Opting for a more offensive Pokemon, Cryogonal is able to smack Rotom-F in the face with a Hidden Power Fighting, and can hit Floatzel with a Freeze-Dry, dealing with two large threats. Recover is to ensure Cryogonal's longevity, allowing it to remove hazards as many times as necessary during a game.
Electrode @ Zap Plate
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Signal Beam

Fraxure @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Poison Jab
- Facade

Ursaring @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Play Rough
- Crunch

Gabite @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge
- Roar

Dodrio @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Quick Attack

Avalugg @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rapid Spin
- Avalanche
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic

Final Comments
While the team I made is decent enough to do well on the ladder, it still have it's short-comings. It struggles to deal with defensive set-up Pokemon like Vespiqueen and Gigalith, and can have trouble stopping Regigigas after it gets it's act together. Below is a threat list of the team.

Threatlist
: Vespiquen has the ability to completely set up on the team with Defense Order, and stall out the team with Heal Order. Gabite can do decent damage with Stone Edge, but only if Vespiquen doesn't have a few Defense Orders up.
: Cacturne is not the biggest threat for the team, but it can deal large amounts of damage to the Pokemon on the team with moves like Sucker Punch and Giga Drain.
: Gigalith has the opportunity to late-game clean my team, especially if it has either Rock Polish or Curse, as both set-up moves allow it to sweep.
: Once Slow Start ends, the team lacks a way to deal with the strong attacks that Regigigas can dish out.

Hopefully you all enjoy this team, and I hope to get some feedback on the team, as I'd like to explore the PU tier more, as I find it to be a lot of fun :)

Last edited:

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Cool team archetype but I think there's definitely a bit of room for improvement.

Running Jolly over Adamant on Fraxure will allow it to hit a critical benchmark in speed after a single dd outspeeding both zebstrika and floatzel. Eviolite will help boost fraxure's defenses and is generally preferred over LO since the extra bulk may net you setup opportunities and using Outrage in the place of Dragon Claw will significantly boost fraxure's damage output.

Next, I think ursa ring should be using the quick feet set as apposed to guts. Quick feet doesn't lose out on much power and the added speed is super handy.

I also believe you would benefit from replacing dodrio with dusknoir as the latter is able to use its strong priority to keep scares like Mr. Mime and rotom-f in check.

Running a slightly bulkier variant of gabite would also help you to alliviate a massive issue, that being your lack of rocks (which also wear down rotom-f) and although avalugg's ability to spin is much appreciated its set is suboptimal gyro ball is unnecessary and recover is a far superior option. Since gyro ball is no longer being used I'd opt for a careful nature instead of sassy.

Gabite @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Atk / 104 Def / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Toxic / Roar

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Swords Dance

Dusknoir @ Choice Band
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Trick

Stay sharp.

Last edited:
Nice team, but I agree with Pilobacon that there's room for improvment.

First of all, your Threatlist contains Vespiqueen and Gigalith. Both are unviable and outclassed (Golem > Gigalith).
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Avalugg, but if you want to run it then Recover>Gyro Ball
Your Dodrio set is also outclassed. The two best sets are band or scarf and both of them are fine for your team, even though I like scarf a little bit more. The moveset should look like this: Bravebird, Return, Knock Off, Pursuit/Quick Attack

My changes:

Zap Plate < Life Orb/Choice Specs
Poison Jab < Super Power, Adamant < Jolly, Life Orb < Eviolite
Guts < Quick Feet, Adamant < Jolly
Your set < Pilobacon's set
Life Orb < Choice Scarf, Facade < Return, Roost < Knock Off
Gyro Ball < Recover, Sassy < Careful
I hope I helped :D

Cool team archetype but I think there's definitely a bit of room for improvement.

Running Jolly over Adamant on Fraxure will allow it to hit a critical benchmark in speed after a single dd outspeeding both zebstrika and floatzel. Eviolite will help boost fraxure's defenses and is generally preferred over LO since the extra bulk may net you setup opportunities and using Outrage in the place of Dragon Claw will significantly boost fraxure's damage output.

Next, I think ursa ring should be using the quick feet set as apposed to guts. Quick feet doesn't lose out on much power and the added speed is super handy.

I also believe you would benefit from replacing dodrio with dusknoir as the latter is able to use its strong priority to keep scares like Mr. Mime and rotom-f in check.

Running a slightly bulkier variant of gabite would also help you to alliviate a massive issue, that being your lack of rocks (which also wear down rotom-f) and although avalugg's ability to spin is much appreciated its set is suboptimal gyro ball is unnecessary and recover is a far superior option. Since gyro ball is no longer being used I'd opt for a careful nature instead of sassy.

Gabite @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Atk / 104 Def / 80 Speaker
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Toxic / Roar

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Swords Dance

Dusknoir @ Choice Band
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Trick

Stay sharp.
Nice team, but I agree with Pilobacon that there's room for improvment.

First of all, your Threatlist contains Vespiqueen and Gigalith. Both are unviable and outclassed (Golem > Gigalith).
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Avalugg, but if you want to run it then Recover>Gyro Ball
Your Dodrio set is also outclassed. The two best sets are band or scarf and both of them are fine for your team, even though I like scarf a little bit more. The moveset should look like this: Bravebird, Return, Knock Off, Pursuit/Quick Attack

My changes:

Zap Plate < Life Orb/Choice Specs
Poison Jab < Super Power, Adamant < Jolly, Life Orb < Eviolite
Guts < Quick Feet, Adamant < Jolly
Your set < Pilobacon's set
Life Orb < Choice Scarf, Facade < Return, Roost < Knock Off
Gyro Ball < Recover, Sassy < Careful
I hope I helped :D

Thanks for both of your suggestions! I'll have to try them out before I finalize anything, but I look forward to trying them out. Pilobacon could you elaborate more on the Gabite set? I usually like to know why I run "strange" (for lack of a better word) EV Spreads, in other words, what does Gabite live now that it has more bulk? Also, GenZeon and Pilobacon, why run Quick Feet over Guts Ursaring? Wouldn't Guts be able to pick up a lot more KOs with the added Attack boost?

Thanks again for your suggestion :)

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for both of your suggestions! I'll have to try them out before I finalize anything, but I look forward to trying them out. Pilobacon could you elaborate more on the Gabite set? I usually like to know why I run "strange" (for lack of a better word) EV Spreads, in other words, what does Gabite live now that it has more bulk? Also, GenZeon and Pilobacon, why run Quick Feet over Guts Ursaring? Wouldn't Guts be able to pick up a lot more KOs with the added Attack boost?

The Gabite spread I suggested while a bit old is still something I find to be effective the speed EVs creep neutral natured base 60's and lower, Pawniard specifically and while the defense investment was designed to live hits from a +2 LO Carracosta a mon which is no longer in the tier, I feel they are still sufficient for taking on most physical attackers. The remaining EVs are put into Attack to prevent Gabite from being completely passive and allow it to dish out some pretty decent damage with it's dual STABs.

As for Ursaring, While Guts does provide more immediate power, Speed is more useful in most situations. If you really want the extra boost in wallbreaking potential then look no further than Swords Dance.

Hope this helped.

Big reason Guts sucks is being so slow and easily outpaced something Quick Feet quickly remedy's as far as breaking goes you get similar results by just using Swords Dance over Play Rough (Which virtually does nothing for you)

I'd change Gabite to a more defensive set/spread since not only does your team lack Stealth Rock (An incredibly key move in every tier) but also a general switch in to quite a few mons and while Gabite will not cover everything it will do the job for some physical threats such as Monferno,Rapidash,Leafeon ect.
Gabite @ Eviolite
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Def / 80 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Toxic / Roar

Something no one has noted is just how incredibly weak you are to ice type pokemon so i'd suggest replacing Avalugg with Cryogonal and/or Ursaring with Thick Fat Grumpig both mons being some of our best against Ice Types due to there resistance and naturally high SpD.
Cryogonal @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Hidden Power Fighting

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Hi, welcome to PU. I'd suggest the following changes:

Switch flame orb to toxic orb on Ursaring. You take less dmg over 3 turns (initial) with toxic than you will with flame orb. So with toxic orb you actually end up getting to keep Ursaring around for longer with toxic orb if you're switching it around a lot. Quick feet is also better overall on Urasaring since it lets you run swords dance.

New set:
Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Crunch
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Avalugg doesn't fit the offensive nature of this team. I'd suggest changing it to Cryogonal - who also helps you check Rotom-F since it bodies your team rn.

New set:
Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Life orb fraxure & gabite are eh. Change both their items to eviolite since the extra bulk really helps. I'd also suggest changing the moveset on fraxure since it's not optimal rn & replacing roar and toxic on gabite to toxic + rocks since you currently lack stealth rocks. Toxic helps you wear down walls who love to switch into gabite (Gourgeist for instance).

New sets:
Fraxure @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Dual Chop
- Low Kick
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance

Dual chop breaks focus sash / sturdy. Low kick lets you hit steel switch ins (excluding mawile) hard and helps you with normal types which your team is very weak to. Taunt lets you set up easier and prevent status.

Gabite @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

This set is better than your current set. It gives you an answer to threatening physical attackers as well as still hitting pokemon hard. The speed investment lets you outpace Pawniard.

Change Dodrio to offensive Pelipper. This lets you handle Monferno who also bodies your team.

New set:
Pelipper @ Life Orb
Ability: Rain Dish
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Agility
- Roost

The speed ev's let you speedtie scarf base 91's at +2 speed.

------------★

Your team will still be a bit weak to Normal types, but it's easy to play around with the right predictions. Hope I helped.

Hi, welcome to PU. I'd suggest the following changes:
Change Dodrio to offensive Pelipper. This lets you handle Monferno who also bodies your team.

New set:
Pelipper @ Life Orb
Ability: Rain Dish
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Agility
- Roost
aki0s why run Pelipper over Dodrio if I'm using it as a way to deal with Monferno? Dodrio outspeeds Monferno, unlike Pelipper, and can OHKO with Brave Bird. Is there any other reason to run Pelipper over Dodrio or is that it? Thanks for your suggestions by the way :)

Big reason Guts sucks is being so slow and easily outpaced something Quick Feet quickly remedy's as far as breaking goes you get similar results by just using Swords Dance over Play Rough (Which virtually does nothing for you)

I'd change Gabite to a more defensive set/spread since not only does your team lack Stealth Rock (An incredibly key move in every tier) but also a general switch in to quite a few mons and while Gabite will not cover everything it will do the job for some physical threats such as Monferno,Rapidash,Leafeon ect.
Gabite @ Eviolite
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Def / 80 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Toxic / Roar

Something no one has noted is just how incredibly weak you are to ice type pokemon so i'd suggest replacing Avalugg with Cryogonal and/or Ursaring with Thick Fat Grumpig both mons being some of our best against Ice Types due to there resistance and naturally high SpD.
Cryogonal @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Hidden Power Fighting

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
MaroGod do you think I would be better running Grumpig or Cryogonal over Avalugg? Others have suggested Cryogonal, which provides great Rapid Spin support, but I like the idea of running a more Specially-Defensive Attacking Pokemon. Also, could you elaborate on the EV Spread for Grumpig a little more please? As I said above, I like to know why I run certain EV spreads :) Thanks for your suggestions!

aki0s why run Pelipper over Dodrio if I'm using it as a way to deal with Monferno? Dodrio outspeeds Monferno, unlike Pelipper, and can OHKO with Brave Bird. Is there any other reason to run Pelipper over Dodrio or is that it? Thanks for your suggestions by the way :)

MaroGod do you think I would be better running Grumpig or Cryogonal over Avalugg? Others have suggested Cryogonal, which provides great Rapid Spin support, but I like the idea of running a more Specially-Defensive Attacking Pokemon. Also, could you elaborate on the EV Spread for Grumpig a little more please? As I said above, I like to know why I run certain EV spreads :) Thanks for your suggestions!
I suggested Cryo over Avalugg which serves the same role but just better (much greater Special Defense then Avalugg even when uninvested) and possibly Grumpig over Ursaring for more reliability against Ice Types either way i believe Cryogonal is a must for this team since Avalugg provide so little benefit in comparison.

Grumpigs spread is simply offensive with 176+ Speed outspeeding Adamant Monferno/Stoutland

Pelipper can switch into Monferno. Dodrio can't. You also ohko with scald or hurricane on pelipper + you have the reliability of roost and a water switch in.

Anytime. :heart:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)