OU DPP OU Teambuilding Competition

azelf.jpegluke.jpegtran.jpegzonger.pnggyara.jpegrotom w.jpeg

https://pokepast.es/73fc1a14ca12e233

Similar to Raikou a few weeks ago, one of the biggest issues i have with luke normally is that it tends to require the whole team to support it. So like with Kou i'm going with an unusual set to try and fill a role, rather than just be a flawed win condition, Choice Band. Band lets me use lukes resistances to get it on the field, rather than trying to get it out cleanly then use the resistances to facilitate a setup turn. The downside is obvious, you will often just have to call your shot given the risk of gar or rotom just taking 0 from Close Combat, or your coverage moves bouncing off the wrong thing. I knew i wanted something fast paced around it so I immediately went Colbur Azelf, the EVs live ada meta mash and specs mie hydro, while hitting 332 to creep things creeping base 100s, with the rest in attack to make explosion hit harder. Mosdest Heatran with pulse is just a nice secondary breaker who doesn't need to rely on choice items, and can still potentially use leftover TR turns from zong. OTR zong was added as an anti offense mon and third steel sicne luke's defensive value is so low i really prefer to have the extra dragon resist. Scarf rotom gives speed control and does also tend to encourage things like tar to commit to moves that let luke in. Finally Gyara is probably the best setup mon in DPP right now, and twave is just great utility, especially if gyara can come in early before rocks are up and lure in something like opposing scarfers not named flygon. This team has been better than i was expecting and has good tools into offense as well as fatter stuff, though the lack of water resists in particular can be frustrating.

:Skarmory::Lucario::Gyarados::Rotom-Wash::Flygon::Metagross:

I decided to mix two fringe luc sets that being agility and special. went with lead skarm to try and get rocks up as soon as possible and has spikes too which imo is essential for any non sd luc. wacan gyara to try and kill scarf lati which outspeeds modest +2 luc, mixgon to help wear down teams and shuca agiligross to help with dd tar and scarfgon as-well as function as another cleaner. The Idea I had around agi special luc was that It could maybe function ok as a breaker by luring in checks to its regular agility set after it boosts which can get some suprise ko's and also maybe help mons with similar checks like agiligross and dd tar, and also function as a cleaner like usual. problem is, as we all know focus blASS is a horrid move to depend on, but when it hits it hits even harder than lucs unboosted cc thanks to its slightly higher spA. The team actually didn't perform as bad as I thought it would but luc didn't get to anything too special that a normal agi luc couldn't do (It would have one game but my opp had trick scarf gar XD). The team obviously isn't great by any means as it has some major weaknesses like no pursuit and no priority etc, but i think it showcases an interesting dynamic that I wanted to try to build for a while.

https://pokepast.es/0a095c47f5fa154f

https://pokepast.es/272d1804076e5f5d

This team probably is not great since I've been busy this week and haven't had time to rly flesh it out, but i digress. I've wanted to try lucario on a para spam offense team like this for some while. Azelf and gyara are both natural partners for it and fit well on ho, and can spread para on top of all that, so they were an obvious choice. Heatran has been added for some extra jirachi insurance and to add a steel that can actually switch into some things, and hp grass allows it to lure and snare swampert and quagsire. Its ev spread lets it live an eq from mixgon after rocks before blowing it up. Along with providing more paralysis, tyanitar can trap and remove rotom, gengar and latias, the former two being especially important to remove for lucario. Gliscor I added as a last sweeper to give my team another ground immune and for further reassurance against jirachi. It also does very well into opposing offensive teams, and is my teams only real switch-in to electric type attacks. Its definitely weak to starmie, but its not unbeatable between sd e speed lucario, dd d edge gyara and pursuit support.

Last edited:
I have been meaning to post for a while now but have always been either too busy or just forgot. So, sorry sos but here’s my submission

https://pokepast.es/db3519aa66dd2c9f

So the team’s concept is trying to build around specs emp + 4a luc, both of which appreciates spikes support so I choose to go with an offensive skarmory lead. Normally I’d go the suicide route and go with brave bird instead of roost, but I have blissey on this team and skarm’s defensive utility works in tandem with bliss well, so it may be useful to keep skarm around for a defensive core late game. Taunt + roost itself can force progress on certain mons like scizor regardless.

So, why specs emp + 4a luc? They form a scary offensive core against stall, and weaken each other’s checks well. Empoleon can potentially bait in and weaken water types such as suicune and gyarados, both of which are annoying for luc to handle, as well as latias and even defensive rachi. In turn, jolly luc baits in rotom and gliscor, which would otherwise be offensive checks and obstacle to a late game emp cleanup. A lucario lacking swords dance also makes skarmory a nuisance, and nothing punishes a skarm switch in quite like a specs empoleon double. Although, this also makes the prospect of facing spikes quite unsavoury, especially since blissey is also in this team. The user should take care to not let opposing skarm have an opportunity if possible.

Gyarados is one of the few mons that can stand up to either of these two, and thus your own stone edge gyarados is a great way to take advantage of that. It also handles infernape well mostly and makes the team less flimsy against heatran and flygon especially. It can also answer gengar in a pinch.

Of course, giving all these defensive duties to gyara is not feasible to say the least and Blissey rounds the team out well, being able to absorb specs lati draco without having to sacrifice health on emp, as well as answer things like mixgon and calm mind jirachi. Ice beam makes it a valid answer against rt rotom and especially gengar which are both otherwise hard to handle for the team. Alternatively double rocks can be used here if you’re not confident in skarm’s ability to set up rocks securely.

Finally, scarf rotom is there to provide spinblocking opportunities and a modest nature is run there for more pressure against things like zapdos and opposing rachi, and more importantly the extra defense allows it to have a better chance of taking an outrage from scarf flygon after 2 rocks switchins.

Side note: 4 attacks lucario is an underappreciated set, mostly because people really would only look for lucario because of how threatening it is with sd. However, swords dance is quite hard to click in a given game and being able to hit both rotom and gliscor (on the switch) is a very valuable trait especially since people usually only expect one of these coverage attacks. It’s worth noting that scarf lucario is still a great set despite the mechanics change, as it is the scarfer with the most raw power out of anyone else (other than heracross), especially if you’re running adamant which you can afford to, achieving feats such as 2hkoing offensive swampert switchin.

Last edited:
thanks ruby, i'll go for fidgety, CB lucario is so degenerate i cannot not love it, personnally i'd put some kind of pursuit in the team, but i like the idea.
i so wanted to, but space was too tight and the team needed more defensive utility from the steels than i could rely on from scizor and the non-steel spots needed to achieve specific goals that i couldn't with tar. The solution is probably changing out azelf for a lead with more staying power and working from there, but i wanted something faster, thanks tho man

since i'm not voting for myself (lol) this comes down to Cubic and dridri for me. I'm picking Dridri on the more balanced concept rather than going offense like all the others, and taking some interesting ideas into the team along the way.

Blahaj's team: This is very biased towards physical offense. There isn't a single special attack on this team. I think this isn't necessarily workable. You could overwhelm an opponents physical walls. When I build defensive I run RestTalk Rotom and Skarmory. I worry this team would struggle against that wall core but maybe not. Sash Lucario is an interesting take for sure.

Fidgety's team: I run TR Bronzong more than just about anything else and I dont do so on teams that run heavy speed EVs on all 5 other mons. Zong can of course be a powerful sweeper in its own right but I think its slightly out of place with the rest of the team being so fast. Its not easy to know when to set the TR to flip the script on your opponent especially when the team is fast. I like the Azelf and Lucario sets. Colbur is unserused on lead Azelf and band is probably how I'd build Lucario.

Dridri's team: I've had trouble running lead Swampert in the past. It doesn't threaten things like Skarmory/Azelf too well and it gets shut down by taunt. Intereting Chesto set on Rotom which I think could catch a lot of people by surprise. Roserade and Swampert form a wall/pivot/hazard core which is neat. I also like the Flygon set which bluffs a scarf.

Skunk's team:
> Untitled 815
LOL, name your teams my man or delete the ones you dont use. I called the Hoarders show and they are coming to help you clean out your teambuilder ;).
Thunderfang on Gliscor is unusual but may punish Gyarados who think they are safe against it. I like the Twave spam. I try to build TWave setup teams a lot myself (and with limited success). Twave TTar I think is very underexplored in DPP. Four resist berries on one team is definitely not my style but if you're going to run Lucario I guess committing to the part is the way to go.

Dazzling Cream's Team:
All these Gyaras and only this one runs Stone Edge. I feel like Edge on Gyara is great for the mirror match. No setup move on Lucario in favor of 4 attacks, interesting. I like it and it would punish my Resttalk Rotoms. My main gripe here is Ice Beam on Blissey. I feel like thats an ADV thing. It could clap a Flygon or Gliscor who thinks they are safe to come in on Blissey perhaps. I like seeing Specs Empoleon as well, under explored set for sure.

Planet's Team:
The Agility Lucario set is unique for sure. Focus Blast and Dark Pulse have good coverage together. The Dark Pulse actually has a guaranteed OHKO on Scarf Rotom after Stealth Rock damage. Gengar probably similarly gets wrecked by that. Aside from the Lucario set this seems like the most "standard" / "solid" team to me.

Overall I am going to vote for Dazzling Cream. Nice team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 0)