DP Metagross .

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Attempting another MixGross set. My older one isn't exactly the best due to its Speed and item and so on. The current set is probably the best set, except it has a -SpD nature.

Also reposting this because I still think MixGross in the analysis can be improved. Here's the set:

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/metagross

[SET]
Name: MixGross
Move 1: Meteor Mash
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Grass Knot
Move 4: Hidden Power Fire
Item: Expert Belt
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 124 SpA / 132 Spe
Nature: Naughty

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Metagross, while normally a physical attacker, can suprise many of its counters by running a mixed attacking set with Hidden Power Fire and Grass Knot. With these two attacks, Metagross can 2HKO unsuspecting Skarmory, Hippowdon, Donphan, and Rhyperior and OHKO Forretress and Swampert. Basically, bulky Ground, Rock, Water and Steel types will have trouble switching in.</p>

<p>Earthquake is primarily for Magnezone and Heatran, though you'll have to catch the latter on the switch-in, as most Heatran will outspeed you. It provides good type coverage with Meteor Mash, hitting Electric-types and Empoleon for super-effective damage.</p>

<p>Naughty with 252 Attack EVs is to maximise Metagross's attack to allow it to hit hard, and 124 SpA EVs provides enough Special Attack to OHKO or 2HKO common counters to Metagross, listed in the initial paragraph. With 132 Speed EVs, Metagross hits a Speed stat of 208, allowing it outspeed most Magnezones as they usually only run up to 207 Speed. This allows you to OHKO them with Earthquake before they can Magnet Rise.</p>

-----

I probably made random grammatical errors when writing this up, or you might not like the structure. Just post and say what needs fixing! :heart:

It's late at night so I may have missed something, but here's what I found in one proof-read.

Move 1: Meteor Mash
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Grass Knot
Move 4: Hidden Power: Fire
Remove the ":" in Hidden Power Fire.

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>While it having Meteor Mash and Earthquake on its moveset, it can pull quite a nasty surprise with incoming physically defensive orientated Pokemon with its two special attacks, Hidden Power Fire and Grass Knot. With these two attacks, Metagross can 2HKO unsuspecting Skarmory, Hippowdon, Donphan, Rhyperior, Milotic and OHKO Swampert and Forretress. Basically, bulky ground, rock, water and steel types will have trouble switching in.</p>
Every type name should be capitalized.

<p>Earthquake is primarily for Magnezone and Heatran, though you'll have to catch the latter on the switchin, as most Heatran will outspeed you. It provides good type coverage with Meteor Mash, hitting Electric-types and Empoleon for super-effective damage.</p>
"switchin" should be "switch-in".

<p>Now to explain the EV spread, Naughty with 252 Attack EVs are pretty self explanatory, to hit hard and 124 SpA EVs proves enough Special Attack to OHKO or 2HKO common counters to Metagross. 132 Speed EVs allows Metagross to hit a final speed of 209, allowing it to outspeed most Magnezones as they usually only run up to 207 Speed. This allows you to OHKO them before they can Magnet Rise.</p>
"Now to explain the EV spread" isn't necessary. "to hit hard" should be in paranthesis. I'm not entirely sure but I think SpA should be written out as Special Attack. You should list the common counters 124 SpA EVs beats, or say "aforementioned counters". "final speed" isn't necessary, replace with "speed stat".

-----

I probably made random grammatical errors when writing this up, or you might not like the structure. Just post and say what needs fixing! :heart:[/quote]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>While it having Meteor Mash and Earthquake on its moveset, it can pull quite a nasty surprise with incoming physically defensive orientated Pokemon with its two special attacks, Hidden Power Fire and Grass Knot. With these two attacks, Metagross can 2HKO unsuspecting Skarmory, Hippowdon, Donphan, Rhyperior, Milotic and OHKO Forretress and Swampert. Basically, bulky Ground, Rock, Water and Steel types will have trouble switching in.</p>

Switched around Forretress and Swampert since you listed Hidden Power Fire first and Grass Knot second.

<p>Earthquake is primarily for Magnezone and Heatran, though you'll have to catch the latter on the switch-in, as most Heatran will outspeed you. It provides good type coverage with Meteor Mash, hitting Electric-types and Empoleon for super-effective damage.</p>

<p>Naughty with 252 Attack EVs is pretty self explanatory (to hit hard), and 124 SpA EVs provides enough Special Attack to OHKO or 2HKO common counters to Metagross, listed in the initial paragraph. 132 Speed EVs allows Metagross to hit a speed stat of 209, allowing it to outspeed most Magnezones as they usually only run up to 207 Speed. This allows you to OHKO them before they can Magnet Rise.</p>

Unless EVs is singular, then "are" should be "is"
"Proves" should be "provides".
I underlined "allows" and 'allowing" since they seem repetitive. Perhaps change "allowing" to "letting" and taking out the "to".

Unless EVs is singular, then "are" should be "is"
Since I'm rather tired right now I could be wrong, but wouldn't it be singular as it's referring to the single condition of having Naughty with those EVs, rather than the EVs themselves?

<p>While having Meteor Mash and Earthquake on its moveset, it can pull quite a nasty surprise on incoming physically defensive orientated Pokemon with its two special attacks, Hidden Power Fire and Grass Knot. With these two attacks, Metagross can 2HKO unsuspecting Skarmory, Hippowdon, Donphan, Rhyperior, and Milotic and OHKO Forretress and Swampert. Basically, bulky Ground, Rock, Water and Steel types will have trouble switching in.</p>
The first sentence still feels awkward (I removed it), but I can't think of a better way to phrase it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it should be "Naughty with 252 Attack EVs is self explanatory" and "124 SpA EVs provide enough Special Attack." The first part is singular because the subject is Naughty; the 252 Attack EVs part is not technically part of the subject. However, 124 SpA EVs is the subject for the verb provide.

Also, I'd fix the repitition of allow: "With 132 Speed EVs, Metagross hits a speed stat of 209, allowing it to outspeed [...]"

junior

is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Fixed.

Although it actually only reaches 208 due to HP Fire's IV reduction in speed.

<p>While having Meteor Mash and Earthquake on its moveset, it can pull quite a nasty surprise on incoming physically defensive orientated Pokemon with its two special attacks, Hidden Power Fire and Grass Knot. With these two attacks, Metagross can 2HKO unsuspecting Skarmory, Hippowdon, Donphan, Rhyperior and Milotic and OHKO Forretress and Swampert. Basically, bulky Ground, Rock, Water and Steel types will have trouble switching in.</p>
The first sentence is phrased rather awkwardly, I'd change it to

"Metagross, while normally a physical attacker, can suprise many of its counters by running a mixed attacking set with Hidden Power Fire and Grass Knot."

Though it isn't necessary, it would look better to add commas after Rhyperior and Milotic.

Fine.

<p>Naughty with 252 Attack EVs is pretty self explanatory (to hit hard), and 124 SpA EVs provides enough Special Attack to OHKO or 2HKO common counters to Metagross, listed in the initial paragraph. With 132 Speed EVs, Metagross hits a Speed Stat of 208, allowing it outspeed most Magnezones as they usually only run up to 207 Speed. This allows you to OHKO them before they can Magnet Rise.</p>
Rephrase the first part of the first sentence sentence as

"Naughty with 252 Attack EVs is to maximise Metagross's attack"

Stat shouldn't be capitalized. Add "with Earthquake" after "This allows you to OHKO them", then mention how Magnezone also takes decent damage from HP Fire after they Magnet Rise, if it's faster.

junior

Sorry about that. I'll edit that out.

EDIT: After discussing this set even further with hip, we think it's at its best. The other sets doesn't really help it much (252 Atk, 248 SpA, 8 Spe was the most offensive spread discussed). While having a 52% chance to 2HKO Milotic with LO, being slower, it can just recover all the damage and theoretically, it'll faint before critting.

Locking this because of italics above as well as being edited into smogon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)