DP Aerodactyl

This is my first peer edit, but that doesn't really matter. Anyways, this is a pretty cool set that I made a long time ago (before SubRoost Zapdos was being used) but it didn't really get much attention. However, it actually works pretty well and can stall your opponent to no end.

---
[SET]
Name: SubRoost Aerodactyl
Move 1: Rock Slide
Move 2: Substitute
Move 3: Protect / Whirlwind
Move 4: Roost
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 80 HP / 100 Atk / 154 SpD / 176 Spe
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Pressure

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Although once known only as a Choice Bander, Aerodactyl is now finding more and more niches in today's shifting metagame. Among these is the SubRoost set, similar in play to the Zapdos set by the same name. However, Aerodactyl has a few tricks up its sleeve, namely its superior Speed and the Special Defense boost it receives in a Sandstorm.</p>

<p>With Pressure, Substitute, Protect, and Roost, Aerodactyl is able to quickly deplete many of its would-be counters precious PP (such as Bronzong's Gyro Ball), and can then either stall it out or force the opponent to switch around, which is why this set works great with Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock set up. Rock Slide provides a generic STAB move to use, and although Stone Edge would be preferrable, it doesn't have enough PP, and Rock Slide's 30% chance of flinching may come in handy once in while.</p>

<p>If the possibility of being phazed out by Swampert or another similar Pokemon is too much for you to handle, Whirlwind may be used over Protect. Not only does it allow you to phaze out a slower counter that can't deal much damage, but it also lets you scout switches and phaze away anything that tries to set up on you.</p>

<p>The EVs provide Aerodactyl with 321 HP (a good number for Leftovers + 1), 224 Special Defense, which gets boosted to 336 in Sandstorm, and 374 Speed, allowing you to outspeed all base 120 Speed Pokemon. For Rock Slide's sake, the rest go into Attack, although they could easily be placed in HP, Defense, or Special Defense, depending on how defensive you want Aerodactyl to be.</p>

---

<p>With Pressure, Substitute, Protect, and Roost, Aerodactyl is able to quickly deplete many of its would-be counters precious PP (such as Bronzong's Gyro Ball), and can then either stall it out or force the opponent to switch around, which is why this set works great with Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock set up. Rock Slide provides a generic STAB move to use, and although Stone Edge would be preferrable (you don't really want to flinch your opponent's Pokemon while you're trying to PP-stall them), it doesn't have enough PP, and Rock Slide's 30% chance of flinching may come in handy once in while.</p>
misspelled "stall" in the last sentence. only typo i could find.

you don't really want to flinch your opponent's Pokemon while you're trying to PP-stal them
I do not think this is really true. I would rather kill the opponent than PP stall it because it means I won't lose my PP either.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Stealth Rock should be on here somewhere so that your opponent can't just stall you out by switching between two Aero counters every turn. then again, said counters are likely to resist Rock...

This is my first peer edit, but that doesn't really matter. Anyways, this is a pretty cool set that I made a long time ago (before SubRoost Zapdos was being used) but it didn't really get much attention. However, it actually works pretty well and can stall your opponent to no end.

---
[SET]
Name: SubRoost Aerodactyl
Move 1: Rock Slide
Move 2: Substitute
Move 3: Protect / Whirlwind
Move 4: Roost
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 80 HP / 100 Atk / 154 SpD / 176 Spe
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Pressure

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Although once known only as a Choice Bander, Aerodactyl is now finding more and more niches in today's shifting metagame. Among these is the SubRoost set, similar in play to the Zapdos set by the same name. However, Aerodactyl has a few tricks up its sleeve, namely its superior Speed and the Special Defense boost it receives in a Sandstorm.</p>

<p>With Pressure, Substitute, Protect, and Roost, Aerodactyl is able to quickly deplete many of its would-be counters precious PP (such as Bronzong's Gyro Ball), and can then either stall it out or force the opponent to switch around, which is why this set works great with Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock set up. Rock Slide provides a generic STAB move to use, and although Stone Edge would be preferrable, it doesn't have enough PP, and Rock Slide's 30% chance of flinching may come in handy once in while.</p>

<p>If the possibility of being phazed out by Swampert or another similar Pokemon is too much for you to handle, Taunt may be used over Protect. Not only does it keep your opponent from switching you out, but it also prevents them from setting up or statusing you.</p>
Taunt shouldn't be needed actually. You are very faster and using Whirlwind you can force a lot of Pokemon out and Baton Pass Pokemon are kept in check. Overall, Whirlwind is superior.

<p>The EVs provide Aerodactyl with 321 HP (a good number for Leftovers + 1), 224 Special Defense, which gets boosted to 336 in Sandstorm, and 374 Speed, allowing you to outspeed all base 120 Speed Pokemon. For Rock Slide's sake, the rest go into Attack, although they could easily be placed in HP, Defense, or Special Defense, depending on how defensive you want Aerodactyl to be.</p>

Alright, I'll edit those fixes in. Honestly I hadn't thought about Whirlwind, thanks for that ;).

Chris is me, I don't really think that Stealth Rock should be used on this set, as Aero already likes its moveset and it's already mentioned that this works well with TS/SR.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To be honest I think Zapdos does this set better. If I assume the standard Sub-Roost Zapdos spread of 252 HP/ 160 SpD for Sub-Roost Zapdos Zapdos only has only marginally worse special defensive abilities (something like 9% since I did the math in my head this might be a little off) than this Aerodactyl with a Sandstream boost and Zapdos has better off defense overall. The superior special defense over Zapdos is lost because of Aerodactyl's typing which leaves common special attacking types such as water and electric being super effective and many of the important resistances the flying type brings is lost with is rock typing with neutrality to fighting and grass. The superior speed stat is something, but it's not enough. I tested this set this morning and honestly Zapdos performed better for me for the reason I listed.

To be honest I think Zapdos does this set better. If I assume the standard Sub-Roost Zapdos spread of 252 HP/ 160 SpD for Sub-Roost Zapdos Zapdos only has only marginally worse special defensive abilities (something like 9% since I did the math in my head this might be a little off) than this Aerodactyl with a Sandstream boost and Zapdos has better off defense overall. The superior special defense over Zapdos is lost because of Aerodactyl's typing which leaves common special attacking types such as water and electric being super effective and many of the important resistances the flying type brings is lost with is rock typing with neutrality to fighting and grass. The superior speed stat is something, but it's not enough. I tested this set this morning and honestly Zapdos performed better for me for the reason I listed.
It could be that Zapdos works better for you, but not only the best Pokemon should be used. In some cases (or teams) this Aerodactyl may work better. I do not see your point.

Pretty bad statement IMO. Aerodactyl fills a slightly different niche. Aerodactyl with this kind of set helps a Toxic, Sandstorm, Spikes team better than Zapdos would because those teams lack the speed Aero has, and he benefits from the special defense boost. Yes, Zapdos has better physical defense, but does that matter on a team of Skarm / Forry / Hippo? Seriously, take other factors into account before saying "this is inferior to pokemon X"

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pretty bad statement IMO. Aerodactyl fills a slightly different niche. Aerodactyl with this kind of set helps a Toxic, Sandstorm, Spikes team better than Zapdos would because those teams lack the speed Aero has, and he benefits from the special defense boost. Yes, Zapdos has better physical defense, but does that matter on a team of Skarm / Forry / Hippo? Seriously, take other factors into account before saying "this is inferior to pokemon X"
Rather than attacking me you mine as well just state your experience with the set (if you have even used it ...).

As I stated before "I tested this set this morning and honestly Zapdos performed better for me for the reason I listed", and I used it on a Toxic spikes stall team (which has two of the Pokes you mention that supposedly nullified my argument). In my experience, Zapdos used the set better. That's basically all I was stating. I found Aerodactyl's speed advantage didn't help me that much, I generally don't comment on a set unless I've used it. Sorry for testing a set and finding it not as useful, I guess I'll use theory instead next time.

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
Hmm there's a set that is just Rest, Sleep Talk, and Roar that works great. The basis is that Roar goes off first at 394 Speed while you heal yourself. This is obviosuly for when Spikes are loaded. It seems gimmicky, but it works really well.

Hmm there's a set that is just Rest, Sleep Talk, and Roar that works great. The basis is that Roar goes off first at 394 Speed while you heal yourself. This is obviosuly for when Spikes are loaded. It seems gimmicky, but it works really well.
That's random, but there's a 50% chance you sleep talk rest so you might as well at whirlwind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)