Other [Doubles UU] Megagross Team

Hello all. I normall play DOU, but I wanted to do something different. Since there is little variety in DOU, I decided to make a DUU team. Metagross has been a favorite of mine pretty much as soon as I discovered it, so I figured I would center a team around it. Without further ado, here it is:

Metagross Metagrossite
Jolly, 252Att, 252Spe, 4Def
Clear body / Tough Claws
- iron head
- zen headbutt
- power-up punch
- protect

The star of the team, this guy is meant to sweep/clean. The set is pretty straight forward, almost a carbon copy of the Smogon set. Max speed to outspeed anything below base 110, and max attack to improve sweeping potential. I was thinking of doing a more sophisticated EV spread, but I wasn't sure what benchmarks to consider. Iron head is stab with a chance to flinch, and always hits, which is really useful when you just need to secure the KO. Zen headbutt is secondary stab, only used when iron head is not as powerful against the target. Protect to ensure a safe mega evolution if necessary, and to stall out field conditions and keep it safe while a partner KOs a threat. Lastly, the twist: power-up punch. While not as powerful as hammer arm, it always hits, and increases attack, rather than lower speed. While it doesn't provide any OHKOs, it's perfect for securing KOs on weakened 'mons, and giving metagross' otherwise sub-par stab moves some punch.

Arcanine Sitrus berry
Modest, 252HP, 252Spa, 4Spe
Intimidate
- snarl
- wil-o-wisp
- fire blast
- morning sun

I'm going to get this out of the way: I couldn't think of a spread, so I gave it a simple "bulky special attacker" spread that is automatically generated when creating a team. Arcanine is on this team mainly to provide defensive support by lowering the opposing team's offensive stats. Snarl lowers special attack, and intimidate and wil-o-wisp lower attack. Sitrus berry and morning sun give it longevity, and fire blast ensures it has offensive pressure when its support moves aren't needed. Aside from lowering stats, Arcanine shines against sun teams, since it essentially loses a weakness, and gets a boost to its fire blast. It also gets more health from morning sun, and provides a switch in for metagross.

Gastrodon, Rocky helmet
Modest, 252HP, 252Spa, 4Def
Storm Drain
- scald
- earth power
- ice beam
- protect

Okay, pretty much all my EV spreads are simple. I'm new to the DUU meta, and I'm not sure of what benchmarks to meet. So, just maximizing bulk and special attack here. My team still struggles against sun teams, especially ninetales; while Arcanine checks, it struggles to take out opposing fire types. Gastrodon fixes that issue with scald and earth power, the latter preferred for sun teams. I slapped on ice beam for coverage, and protect for nasty grass moves. I settled on rocky helmet to take advantage of its bulk, but I was thinking of changing it to the grass berry (name?) to deal with solar beam and other grass moves. Not sure if i would help. Also thinking of icy wind for speed control over ice beam. Lastly, I picked storm drain over sticky hold because rocky helmet should have done its damage by the time it gets knocked off. If I opt for the grass berry, I suspect a respectable knock off plus grass move should KO even with the berry.

Crobat Focus sash
Jolly, 252 Spe, 252 Att, 4 Def
Inner Focus
- tailwind
- u-turn
- cross poison
- taunt

Crobat offers some speed control with tailwind and its own high speed stat. It can also taunt trick room setters, and put a huge dent in Aromatisse with Cross Poison. U-turn gives it the option to deal chip damage and switch after it has done its job. Focus sash and inner focus almost ensures it gets tailwind up. While not its intention, cross poison can be used for offensive pressure, as well as u-turn. Cross poison is mostly for Aromatisse, but it has other uses with Crobats decent attack stat, especially with the investment.

Mienshao Focus sash
Jolly, 252 Att, 252 Spe, 4 Def
Inner Focus
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- u-turn

Together, Mienshao and Crobat make an amazing lead/duo. Fake out plus taunt / cross poison shuts down trick room, while fake out plus tailwind helps against faster teams. Double inner focus ensures fake out from the opposing team is not a threat. Outside of fake out utility, Mienshao provides some offense with its respectable attack and speed stats. For stab, I chose drain punch over high jump kick, due to the prevalent protect. Knock off provides great utility for the team, as well as great damage, especially against psychic types that otherwise scare Mienshao out. Lastly, u-turn lets Mienshao damage the enemy while switching to something that can better take a hit.

Serperior Life Orb
Timid, 252 Spa, 252 Spe, 4 def
Contrary
- leaf storm
- dragon pulse
- hidden power fire
- protect

Serperior deals with bulky water types that metagross struggles with. In the event it boosts once or twice and gets the opportunity to sweep, it has dragon pulse and hidden power fire to sweep. Life orb allows Serperior to deal as much damage as possible, which is important before any boosts due to its mediocre special attack stat. Lastly, protect is a great utility move you can give to almost any 'mon in doubles. It provides the ability to stall field conditions, and allows a partner to KO or at least weaken a bulkier threat. Another option in my mind was giga drain, but the sustain is not as important in doubles. Serpeior has virtually no other coverage options, so protect seems like the best bet.

What do you guys think? All criticism is welcome. I'm new to DUU, and would love to see some advice and recommendations!

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Hi VCrakeV! Great to see other people interested in DUU, it's a fairly unexplored meta that I enjoy a lot. You've got a couple unoptimized sets here and there, but the basics of the team are solid.

I'm seeing this team as being built around a PuP MegaGross clean, with a Fire-type to beat Steels, a Water-type to beat Fires, a TR check / Speed Control provider, a Fighting-type Fake Out user to further help against TR and beat Dark-types, and finally a secondary wincon and revenge killer. Going from that perspective and trying my best to preserve the format and goal of the team, I can see three team member changes that would likely serve you well: Blastoise > Gastrodon allows for general redirection as opposed to only for Water-type moves and aids Metagross in its sweep, Hitmontop > Mienshao provides more utility and bulk so that you aren't stuck with two frail Inner Focus users that end up overlapping a lot, and Entei > Arcanine improves your sun matchup drastically.

Aside from those, there are a few small changes I'd likely make to each Pokemon.

Since the Metagross set is the basis of the team, I'll leave it alone, but if you want to try something else then Substitute > Power-Up Punch could serve you well as a different type of wincon that matches up far better against Tangela. Bullet Punch is also okay to give the team a priority attack aside from Fake Out, but if you make that change then Meteor Mash > Iron Head is probably worth it for situations where you are able to get the Attack raise, as you will then have another perfectly accurate Steel-type move.

On Crobat, Cross Poison is so pitifully weak against targets hit either neutrally or not very effectively that it's inferior to Brave Bird in almost every way. You already have Mega Metagross to deal with Aromatisse, Grass-types are hit harder by Brave Bird, and there are very few Fairy-types in the tier. U-turn also feels out of place to me, so you could replace U-turn with a few other moves: Super Fang nets a bunch of chip damage on any Pokemon, Roost provides some extra longevity, or Whirlwind is the most effective Trick Room-stopping method there is.

Finally, on Serperior, I'd probably use Hidden Power Ground > Hidden Power Fire to hit Fire-types harder, but that's pretty much a matter of preference for you.

I'll include proposed sets and short descriptions for those I haven't already gone over in the hide tag below, but feel free to message me with any questions if you see me in the Smogon Doubles room on PS!
*NOTE* Make sure to remove all slashes before attempting to import any sets, otherwise it'll get mad at you.
Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Power-Up Punch
- Protect

Entei @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Snarl
- Protect
Simple spread, Stone Edge to deal with Ninetales and Rotom-H which is otherwise quite threatening, Snarl to preserve Arcanine's role and Sacred Fire for power and burns. Safety Goggles gives the team a Tangela switchin / answer

Blastoise @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Follow Me
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Roar / Protect
Follow Me for redirection, Scald as main STAB, Icy Wind provides more speed control, Roar stops TR. If you're not a fan of Roar in the last slot, Protect is always solid and I've actually been thinking of Counter or Mirror Coat but that's probably awful so I'm not giving those slashes. Spread lives 2 Jolly Victini Bolt Strikes or 2 Quiet Mega Camerupt Earth Powers using a Sitrus Berry.

Crobat @ Sky Plate
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 108 HP / 184 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Brave Bird
- Tailwind
- Super Fang / Roost / Whirlwind
Gave Crobat Sky Plate for more power, Sitrus and Mental Herb are also decent. Outspeeds Raikou / Darkrai, OHKOs standard Hariyama with Brave Bird, rest in HP.

Hitmontop @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 236 HP / 92 Atk / 96 Def / 60 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard
- Sucker Punch
I've had this spread for so long I don't remember what most of it does. However, the 24 Spe is new, that makes Hitmontop faster than Raikou under TWind as well as anything slower. I also figured out that 92 Atk OHKOs standard Darkrai. Sitrus provides added bulk, went for Sucker Punch > Feint or Quick Guard because Chandelure seemed like a struggling point for the team outside of Blastoise.

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)