SS OU Divine Sunlight (By Ox the Fox and Storm Zone) (Peak: 2184 [#1,#2 and #3])

Storm Zone

is a Tiering Contributorwon the 20th Official Smogon Tournament
World Defender
Many people have been arguing since the Crown Tundra DLC, sun has become unviable in the face of rain and sand as dominant weathers, which is untrue as sun also got niches. Heatran being the main niche, this gives one of the best stallbreaker cores of Specs Heatran + Growth Venusaur which the team was built around.
The Purpose of the team is to wear down the likely threats with the bulk on hydreigon and the rocky helmet on clef so that it can allow for the sweepers to clean up.
The Playstyle is more of a hybrid of BO + Balance + Sun, combining 3 different playstyles gives the least amount of bad matchups, someone has to prep a certain way to have a good matchup vs the team. The Main Threats are pheromosa, ice beam ttar, (nomore that we are aware of please insert here if you see a weakness).
We basically topped the ladder with this team and crossed 2100.

Peak:
Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 2.56.30 PM.png

Pokepaste:
https://pokepast.es/84e2ef5d9248ba3e
Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 2.21.16 PM.png

Breakdown:

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 2.22.47 PM.png

Torkoal is an essential mon on sun teams, providing rocks, rapid spin, and of course drought. Lava plume is an essential 3rd move to hit things for damage, as well as having a burn chance. We went with toxic on the last slot in order to hit things like latios, tyranitar, and moltres.

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 2.25.28 PM.png

Choice specs Heatran is one of the things we built this team around, as a full health eruption in sun is nearly impossible to switch into. It replaces the role the charizard used to fill in DLC 1 sun teams, being a nuke that gets a kill everytime it comes in. Heatran is a lot better, however, as its typing provides great defensive utility and not being weak to rocks is great. (Only the image is shiny, HEATRAN CANNOT BE SHINY IF IT USES ERUPTION)

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 2.26.16 PM.png

Landorus-T is a solid glue mon on the team, providing speed control and a electric immunity in one slot. It's also able to check mons such as Excadrill and Melmetal, and u-turn out to gain momentum. Toxic is used to hit mons like Lando-t, Buzzwole, and Slowbro, but stone edge is also usable in order to OHKO Moltres and Tornadus-T.

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 2.28.00 PM.png

Utility hydreigon is one of those mons that poeple would think you're crazy to run in DLC1, but is now a staple of OU. It's able to comfortably switch in to Spectrier and Heatran throughout the game, and throw off powerful dark pulses. Earth power is used in order to hit Heatran and Magearna hard and defog is importnat to keep hazards off. The EV Spread here is custom its designed to creep timid Heatran by 1 point, and the rest was dumped into special defense to become a great switchin to Spectrier which is mandatory at the moment.

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 2.28.37 PM.png

Venusaur is Self Explanatory it is the best sweeper on sun and can perform many roles, it can act as a water resist, a sweeper, or a pivot. Sludge Bomb was used over giga drain to help vs the moltres matchup, but giga drain can also be used if stone edge is used on Landorus-Therian. Solarbeam is also an option to ohko threats like dragapult at +2. Its speed in sun outruns almost the entire tier giving it an edge in every matchup after it gets a growth up.

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 2.32.28 PM.png

Clefable is the main Wall on the team. With the Rocky Helmet wears down various physical threats like urshifu and its rapidstrike counterpart.
Knock off allows it to remove held items from the opposing team mainly heavy duty boots so the rocks can chip them down for clefable to calm mind and lategame sweep. With Magic Guard it also provides a switchin to scald + blissey, which is common in the metagame.

Replays:

Private:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1226350514-nnv6aoqeizopqe4mfw79l18px62rdt7pw (replay to 2100)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1226345203-t166f5vjjvrbwzhzhdx6ow80z4px5n7pw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1226336079-o3101d5fpwbaydhdl7ljij2i7fvrfcopw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1226328950-df2zrn36csaad3h7qr4cdsujqn9657epw

Public:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1226368815

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1226364441

Please leave your unfiltered thoughts and if you see any weaknesses feel free to let us know. =]

This team is indeed the wae :3
UGGANDOOO.jpeg

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
The concept of sun + specs Heatran looks very neat. How are your matchups with rain? Im just curious.

Garrett

Banned deucer.
Because the Timid Speed boost > Calm Sp. Def boost, running Timid on Hydreigon with 68 speed EVs and 188 Sp. Def EVs gives 258 SpDef instead of the current 256 SpDef. All the other stats (including the necessary speed you wanted) are the same.

Last edited:

clean

is a Tiering Contributor
OMPL Champion
The team seems extremely weak to Nidoking. Could be problematic especially if it is running sub +3 attacks.

YOOOO, Utility Hydreigon is something I've been wanting to run recently!! I'm pleased to hear it works well. However, your EV spread could be optimized. 252 HP / 168 SpD / 88 Spe with Timid hits the same Speed number, but gives you 4 more SpD points than the Calm spread. I plan on running this thing; you've inspired me. XD

The team seems extremely weak to Nidoking. Could be problematic especially if it is running sub +3 attacks.
Lando's a pretty decent answer to it. In general if its running ice beam u might have a hard time with it. But venusaur can also answer it if sun is up. Sub is a decent answer to these things but I doubt you see much of that on ladder consistently

clean

is a Tiering Contributor
OMPL Champion
Lando's a pretty decent answer to it. In general if its running ice beam u might have a hard time with it. But venusaur can also answer it if sun is up. Sub is a decent answer to these things but I doubt you see much of that on ladder consistently
Yeah I don't see it as a glaring weakness or anything, just something to look out for. This is just conjecture, but I have run into quite a few Nidoking's packing sub/sludge wave/ice beam/earth power which runs through this team if you aren't careful. Just putting it out there so people are aware it is a threat

People called me crazy for using Defensive Hydreigon on a DLC1 Stall Team to counter Crawdaunt and Alowak, now I get to laugh at them.

I am really not gonna lie tho this team's game plan versus Sub-Disable-CalmMind-DarkPulse Spectrier is lookin kinda iffy, especially when u take into account that fact that you will never switch in Clefable to Spectrier before Heatran.

Last edited:
how do you beat spdef ttar with ice beam? what do you think of cinderace on this team now that KyuB/Zygarde are gone? you can even run electro ball to aid against Pelipper switch ins.

EDIT: Electro Ball is dogshit and you kinda need everything so bad advice. However, I've tried Volcanion over Zapdos as a sun check and it's really nice having an immunity. Steam Eruption 2HKOs most rain members in the rain and you can use it as an offensive option outside of weather wars since it's really hard to OHKO. It can often get the necessary chip to accomodate Venusaur.

Last edited:
I think you might need another sun setter. Torkoal is your only sun setter and half your team depends on torkoal. Just a suggestion lmao. I usually put 2 on my sun teams

I remember fighting this team a few times with my Sand team? I think we went 2-2 and it was always a bitch to face. The only reason I think I was able to take those games was the surprise factor of two sand setters. And the surprise factor of min speed Hippowdown and T-tar to beat ya in the double switches.

Good job man! 10/10 team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)