Discussion: Clerics in D/P

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, he doesn't. He only learns Nasty Plot / Baton Pass through level up, according to Serebii. Hypnosis was either an XD move or a DB Mod

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know this has no relevance to the topic, but I just went to the NYC PokeCenter last week and I didn't buy anything. Was that a mistake?

EDIT: I looked up cleric in a dictionary which led to clergy, and it turns out it's related to the church. I always assumed it had something to do with healing, weird.
Most healers in traditional RPGs tended to be priests/clerics/etc. so the name just kinda stuck for general healers for games.

Anyway, just because the "standard" Blissey uses Sing doesn't mean it can't be a "Cleric" as well. I've seen a few Aroma Blissey's around. The problem is if you come in right after a status, you're expected to Aromatherapy. So just remember that your opponent likely knows what you're going to do and will be taking the necessary steps to take advantage of that. This means Aromatherapy-ing early isn't as doable.

DawnBringer

The thrill of attempting to get what you will neve
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
im just a lil information.
lickilicky is a great cleric, if you can get it from NYPC
gets healbell/wish and you can add another great addition of knock off
and great defensive stats.

I really wouldn't call Pokemon with just Heal Bell or Aromatherapy a cleric... Are there any Pokemon who can both Wish and use Aromatherapy or Heal Bell? Something that can support the team with both HP and status healing is a cleric.
Never fear kiddies, Chimecho is here with both Wish and Heal Bell!

Jumpluff is a Cleric, I don't know if it can get Encore and Aromatherapy, legally. but that could be a good one

I think parasect and vileplume are too fragile

and that new pokemon Shaymin, maybe he could be the new mew?

plus Cherrim, works too

maybe Granbull with Intimindate

The better cleric is Blissey, no questions asked.

Clerics became less commom due to an offensive metagame. Also, a LOT of OU can absorb status now:

Cresselia can Rest/Talk
Heracross and Milotic loves Will-o-wisp.
Infernape and Heatran are immune.
Most Brelooms use Poison Orb.
Metagross/Skarmory/Forretress/Magnezone are immune to Toxic
Garchomp/Rhyperior is Immune to Thunder Wave
Jolteon and Electivire absorbs it.
Starmie has Natural Cure, and non-cleric Blisseys can still absorb status with it.

I skilled player can absorb status with those pokemon, since all of them are good competitive battlers and will be used on most team. And it's even easier to absorb status this gen, since status moves are even less used.
I think that´s the main reason because we don´t see Clerics. Some Blissey use Aromatherapy, but now with CSmence, the rise of Gyarados and the lot of sweepers, Blissey prefers to be more offensive.

I think Lickitung can use Heal Bell and wish in the same set( not sure if it stil can though). I used that in ADV with Knock off.

Shaymin might actually make a decent Cleric. 101 SubSeeding with Aromatherapy and a filler, coupled with his 100s across the board might not be bad at all. Maybe Grass Knot or HP Ice.

With it being monotype, it has less weaknesses than Celebi, but it's a double edged sword in that it also has less resists.

You still have to predict the status, double status is very dangerous. Nothing is immune to Hypnosis / Spore / Sleep Powder, and TWavers like Gallade (who has Hypnosis / WOW too) can beat down on those immune to it. You can say they can be absorbed but only Restalk is a complete solution, but not without faults.
How is nothing immune to sleep moves? Or do you mean nothing is immune to both hypnosis and paralysis?

I think Lickitung can use Heal Bell and wish in the same set( not sure if it stil can though). I used that in ADV with Knock off.
Heal Bell and Wish are New York Pokemon Center moves. It's a shame there aren't more out there, since I'm apparently the only person who's ever used Lickilicky.

How is nothing immune to sleep moves? Or do you mean nothing is immune to both hypnosis and paralysis?
i think he does mean that nothing is immune to either hypnosis/Twave OR hypnosis/WoW combo's.
hypnosis/TWave/WoW can be resisted though. just get in a double battle. send out your fire ground pokemon (do i hear "camerupt"?) and a pokemon with worry seed. use worry seed on your camerupt. voila, it resist the hypnosis/Twave/WoW combo.

i really don't have to mention that camerupt sucks competitively.
i also don't think i have to mention it gets thoroughly owned by Surf (STAB doesn't matter)
the above 1-2 lines should only be read by n00bs.

Camerupt is underestimated but I won't get into that.

I'm still using Bliss with the old Standard of Aromatherapy/Seismic Toss/Ice Beam/Softboiled

Less people using Clerics will urge more players to use Status moves and vice versa. Might as well be prepared especially now that there are more double status pokes.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Clerics seem less common in D/P's less passive metagame. Most cleric-capable Pokes seem to prefer other moves instead now, but the need for clerics is greater than ever.

OU-viable clerics are hard to come by. The short list is Lapras, Articuno, Dragonite, Miltank, Blissey, Celebi, and Roserade. All but Miltank and Articuno are murdered by CB Pursuit, but they're uncommon. Blissey prefers Sing on the standard set. Celebi's uncommon due to rarity.

Is the passiveness of clerics a liability now?
Call it lol, but Chansey is actually decent at being a cleric. And yes, it is a big liability, because your opponent will probably suspect status healing if you come in after they've statused some of your Pokemon, and switch to something like Tyranitar and rape.

Reflect and Light Screen are decent moves, while Mist is still useless, but they have nothing to do with status and shouldn't be discussed here.

And Safeguard isn't a good move either. The only thing that I've ever seen using it competitively were Latias and Latias on Uber Metagame. And IMO, it's not even a good option for them. Specially on a "destructive" Metagame like 4th gen's ubers.

*About the Mew thing: I think if Celebi, with the exact same stats, is in OU, then Mew, and Manaphy for that matter need to go with it. I know it's all about movepool and typing, but with the right stats anything's a killer. After all, they're legendary for a reason!

*About the cleric thing: Using a cleric is alright I guess, but I agree with the first response "circle" thing. In the long run, I don't think they're worth it though, unless you have a team who is absolutely shut down by status. My team doesn't use a cleric Blissey, I use counter, and it kills something every time.

*About the Mew thing: I think if Celebi, with the exact same stats, is in OU, then Mew, and Manaphy for that matter need to go with it. I know it's all about movepool and typing, but with the right stats anything's a killer. After all, they're legendary for a reason!

*About the cleric thing: Using a cleric is alright I guess, but I agree with the first response "circle" thing. In the long run, I don't think they're worth it though, unless you have a team who is absolutely shut down by status. My team doesn't use a cleric Blissey, I use counter, and it kills something every time.
Keep in mind that Celebi has a lot of weaknesses that the other "100 club" members don't. Mew is like a Smeargle with stats that are actually good. Manaphy, while tough, can be more easily figured out (Hydroresting takes up 2 moveslots).

Skitty/Delcatty learns Heal bell/Wish also. It seems GF wants everything that learns those two moves to suck...

In my opinion the usefulness of clerics is limited not just because of the Pokemon that learn them, but also because of the hassle it takes to use one. It seems to me that most teams are focused on a combination of all-out attacking, and/or pseudohazing with Stealth Rock/Spikes. If I am mistaken, and a respectable niche of teams do consistently have status inflicters, isn't it still counterintuitive to switch a Pokemon solely for the purpose of using Heal Bell/Aromatherapy? A Pokemon can take a lot of damage while it's out passively for two turns, limiting this tactic to clerics that can heal themselves, like Blissey. Even then, you have to be wary of the same or another status inflicter once your other Pokemon are back in play, as well as something setting up on you. Why factor a long, difficult-to-perform umbrella counter strategy into your team, when you can just switch to an offensive counter (perhaps with resistances to burn, paralysis or whatever else) and worry about your fallen comrade later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)