Discussion: Clerics in D/P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clerics seem less common in D/P's less passive metagame. Most cleric-capable Pokes seem to prefer other moves instead now, but the need for clerics is greater than ever.

OU-viable clerics are hard to come by. The short list is Lapras, Articuno, Dragonite, Miltank, Blissey, Celebi, and Roserade. All but Miltank and Articuno are murdered by CB Pursuit, but they're uncommon. Blissey prefers Sing on the standard set. Celebi's uncommon due to rarity.

Is the passiveness of clerics a liability now?

People not using Clerics means people will start using status moves.

People using status moves means people will start using Clerics.

People using Clerics means people will stop using status moves.

People not using status moves means people will stop using Clerics.

It's like, a circle or something.

Meganium is also a Cleric-type of Pokemon. It's got great base defensive stats (shame since it has average HP), and it has Aromatherapy, Leech Seed, Synthesis and (if they count) Safeguard/Light Screen/Reflect. It's a shame that it can't learn Sleep Powder for stalling (else I would've used it over Venusaur)

i don't see why blissey's cm set can't carry aromatherapy along with it, so as far as that goes, i'm still clericing it up with my bliss.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I really wouldn't call Pokemon with just Heal Bell or Aromatherapy a cleric... Are there any Pokemon who can both Wish and use Aromatherapy or Heal Bell? Something that can support the team with both HP and status healing is a cleric.

I really wouldn't call Pokemon with just Heal Bell or Aromatherapy a cleric... Are there any Pokemon who can both Wish and use Aromatherapy or Heal Bell? Something that can support the team with both HP and status healing is a cleric.
The New York Pokemon Center Blissey has Wish if I remember correctly, but other than that, I think we're out of luck.

EDIT: Aromatherapy is an Egg Move. We're really out of luck now!

I wish someone would get their hands on a wish Blissey and Mass Duplicate it.

That way, there can be no more discrimination against it, since it is everywhere.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Which means that you breed it onto your chansey via male roselia
What he means is Wish and Aromatherapy on the same Blissey is an illegal moveset. I'm pretty sure there are no Pokemon that can both Wish and Aromatherapy/Heal Bell.

What he means is Wish and Aromatherapy on the same Blissey is an illegal moveset. I'm pretty sure there are no Pokemon that can both Wish and Aromatherapy/Heal Bell.
There's Smeargle, but it goes without saying that he's a terrible cleric. Mew could do it with the Pokemon XD tutor, but Mew is Uber.

If a Pokemon has Heal Bell or Aromatherapy it IS a damn cleric, that's the definition. Way to shit on my topic.

Firestorm

No. That's your definition of a cleric. Mine is different as I've never seen an RPG/MMORPG/SRPG where the Cleric couldn't heal party members' HP. However, something that can both Wish and Aroma/HB would be a better Cleric than one that could only Aroma/HB. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be one.

Continue arguing about which Pokemon is a good status-healer.

No. That's your definition of a cleric. Mine is different as I've never seen an RPG/MMORPG/SRPG where the Cleric couldn't heal party members' HP. However, something that can both Wish and Aroma/HB would be a better Cleric than one that could only Aroma/HB. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be one.

But it's the pokemon definition of a cleric....

The better cleric is Blissey, no questions asked.

Clerics became less commom due to an offensive metagame. Also, a LOT of OU can absorb status now:

Cresselia can Rest/Talk
Heracross and Milotic loves Will-o-wisp.
Infernape and Heatran are immune.
Most Brelooms use Poison Orb.
Metagross/Skarmory/Forretress/Magnezone are immune to Toxic
Garchomp/Rhyperior is Immune to Thunder Wave
Jolteon and Electivire absorbs it.
Starmie has Natural Cure, and non-cleric Blisseys can still absorb status with it.

I skilled player can absorb status with those pokemon, since all of them are good competitive battlers and will be used on most team. And it's even easier to absorb status this gen, since status moves are even less used.

You still have to predict the status, double status is very dangerous. Nothing is immune to Hypnosis / Spore / Sleep Powder, and TWavers like Gallade (who has Hypnosis / WOW too) can beat down on those immune to it. You can say they can be absorbed but only Restalk is a complete solution, but not without faults.

Mew isn't really uber. People always complained that it was uber because it had a large movepool. The only really effective sets are CM / BP, and they are counterable by Taunt Mewtwo / Deoxys. It's not like, "oh, this pokemon learns every move in the game so let's ban it from standard lol"

Clerics aren't as useful this generation. With few status moves running around, and RestTalking becoming the new variant, don't really expect any clerics to be around. The only one you'll ever really see is Blissey / Miltank

EDIT: I don't know about Hypno being a Gallade-status counter. It sucks up sleep, and doesn't care about Will-o-Wisp and can Reflect any Psyco Cut / Close Combat, though it does need to be wary of Night Slash. However, if Heracross comes in on a Will-o-Wisp, don't expect Gallade and friends to last very long. Heracross isn't that common, but the occassional one that comes across will give Double Status Gallade a huge problem

the problem might be that you can only have one pokemon out at a time, whereas in most RPGs, you have a team taking turns to attack in one turn. and the 2v2 pokemon battles aren't quite as developed as a single battle is.

I know this has no relevance to the topic, but I just went to the NYC PokeCenter last week and I didn't buy anything. Was that a mistake?

EDIT: I looked up cleric in a dictionary which led to clergy, and it turns out it's related to the church. I always assumed it had something to do with healing, weird.

Hypnosis is a Database Mod I believe ADH. But yeah, it has more chance this generation. Make sure you outspeed Mewtwo, or else he can Taunt and you won't be able to BP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)