(Deoxys-D & Spinblocker + 4) Team

My Team

Teambuilding process

I wanted to make a team with a really good hazard setter but i didn't want to use Deoxys-S because I thought it was too frail and suicide leads aren't my thing. I decided to use Deoxys-D. He is really bulky and gets up a lot of hazards before I have to switch him out.

I thought, since I am using hazards, I need a spinblocker so i thought of Gengar because of his Destiny Bond being able to take down spinners. I also though that i shouldn't be using Defog because it takes away your own hazards so I decided to use Excadrill as a spinner.

Now I decided to use some offense since most of my team was support. I went with Mega Gyarados because he is a really good setup sweeper with d-dance. i also decided to use Conkelurr because he gets knock off and he also becomes a status absorber to absorb the wil-o-wisps directed at Gyarados.

Now i decided to use Thundurus because with prankster taunt, he becomes a defog blocker.

In-Depth

Deoxys-Defense @ Red Card
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Magic Coat
- Recover

This thing is amazing. It usually gets up stealth rock and at least one layer of spikes before switching. The hazards that it provides help Gyarados to sweep and can usually help me win the match. I made the EV's so that his special bulk is maximized. He can take up to 3 bug buzzes from Sash Galvantula. Magic coat is for stpping those prankster taunt from Thundurus and the sort. It also helps me deflect will-o-wisp from Rotom-w. Recover is for healing because i don't have lefties. Red card is for getting rid of those threats so I can set up more hazards.

Gengar (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb

Gengar is the mother of all trolls. Just when you think mold breaker can help you kill me, I destiny bond and their spinner is gone. This guy is basically there so my hazards stay on the field. If the opponent has no spinners, i can use this guy to rid the opponents team of any threats to Gyarados's sweeping. EV's are pretty standard so there is nothing i need to explain. Substitute is for scouting so i know that they will activate my destiny bond when I use it. Destiny bond is for killing threats. Shadow Ball and sludge Bomb are just STAB moves for killing the weakened.

Excadrill (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Since i am using hazards of my own, that means no defog. That basically only leaves me with spinning. So there are 3 OU spinners. Starmie (Don't really like it), Donphan (sucks) and Excadrill. Excadrill s a really good spinner with a lot of attack. His EV's are pretty standard. Jolly nature is for outspeeding the base 80's like togekiss and dragonite. EQ is a must have on excadrill as the main STAB. Rapid Spin because he is my spinner. Iron Head is for STAB and for coverage against fairies. Rock Slide is for flying types like M-Pinsir and Talonflame(Not that I would be staying in).

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SDef / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

Conkeldurr is kind of a random thing to put on my team because most of my team aren't walls but this thing is really bulky. He is a status absorber because of guts. He can take so many hits and just heal them all back with drain punch. his Ev's are to maximize his attack and Hp Special Defense. Adamant is for the boost in attack. Mach punch is for priority because conkeldurr is really slow. Knock off is to remove items and cripple some walls by taking off their lefties. Drain punch is for helaing. Ice punch is for hitting landorus, garchomp, salamence and dragonite.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Waterfall

This thing sweeps teams so easily that it's not even funny. After a +2 it can wreck anything even Rotom-W because it has mold breaker. i use intimidate so he can setup easier because the opponent will likely switch. dragon dance is for setting up and the extra speed is greatly appreciated because gyarados is really slow. Earthquake is for hitting Rotom-W. Bounce is pretty controversial, most people don't like it because it takes a turn to charge up but it nails m-venusaur so i really like using it. Waterfall is for STAB and it hits extremely hard even just at +1.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Thundurus is a really underrated pokemon and I don't see why. When I send it out it can destroy many other pokemon with it's STAB Thunderbolt. I use Timid to outspeed all the base 110's and lower. eV's are really standard so I can maximize on Speed and Special attack. Thunder wave is good gainst setup sweepers such as Dragonite, Charizard X or gyarados. Thunderbolt is the main STAB move and can OHKO many frail pokemon even without being super effective like gengar. Taunt is for Hazard setters like deoxys. And hp ice is for quad weak dragons.

Showdown Import

Deoxys-Defense @ Red Card
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Magic Coat
- Recover

Gengar (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb

Excadrill (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SDef / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Waterfall

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Threats

-Starmie-Its a spinner that is faster than gengar so it is not a reliable spinblocker against starmie.

-Bisharp-252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Deoxys-D: 291-346 (95.7 - 113.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO. Enough said.

So thanks for reading this RMT, post suggestions and improvements so this team can get better. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Pretty solid team! I don't have time to do a full rate so just one minor nitpick

Run Ice Fang over Bounce. Ice Fang gives better coverage, and as compared to Bounce, doesn't waste a charge turn. Ice Fang goes through Thick Fat due to Mold Breaker as well. While it does less damage then Bounce, I think that is a good trade-off considering Bounce does have the accuracy of Hydro Pump for much less BP, and takes a turn to set up making it easier to play around. Furthermore, Ice Fang allows you to OHKO Dragonite through Multiscale, something Im not sure a +1 Bounce can do. It could though, so don't hold me against it.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Maximizing Conkeldurr's HP EVs is counterproductive when using Drain Punch because it lets you absorb less HP percentages than when not investing in HP. Besides, SpD over HP makes him take on special attacks (like he's supposed to) much better than HP over SpD. That being said, I definitely advise you to change the spread to 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 SpD. This also allows you to take on Kyurem-B better, which is a threat to your team. Excadrill doesn't look much of an issue to your team (when it should) because you have Air Balloon Jolly Excadrill of your own, something to keep opposing Excadrills in check.

Pretty solid team! I don't have time to do a full rate so just one minor nitpick

Run Ice Fang over Bounce. Ice Fang gives better coverage, and as compared to Bounce, doesn't waste a charge turn. Ice Fang goes through Thick Fat due to Mold Breaker as well. While it does less damage then Bounce, I think that is a good trade-off considering Bounce does have the accuracy of Hydro Pump for much less BP, and takes a turn to set up making it easier to play around. Furthermore, Ice Fang allows you to OHKO Dragonite through Multiscale, something Im not sure a +1 Bounce can do. It could though, so don't hold me against it.
Changing it to Ice Fang sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sold on trading the ability to hit Megasaur really hard (who otherwise walls this -entire team, btw) for a coverage move even if it ignores Megasaur's ability. It still won't do enough:

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Venusaur: 166-196 (45.6 - 53.8%) -- 46.9% chance to 2HKO

Compared to:

+1 252+ Atk Gyarados Bounce vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Venusaur: 278-330 (76.3 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Yes, that's done with regular Gyarados, you shouldn't megavolve when it's out there. You will lose your Grass neutrality and the STAB on Bounce, which isn't good. Be careful though, as uninvested Sludge Bomb from megasaur does (34.6 - 40.9%) to ReGyarados.

That being said, there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to use Jolly on Gyarados. Definitely go with Adamant. You still outspeed Greninja, the fastest relevant Pokemon you should be outspeeding. Jolteon isn't relevant.

Now that I'm done with the nitpicks, I'm off to the big issues: your team can't handle Mega Charizard (both versions) at all:

+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Deoxys-D: 277-327 (91.1 - 107.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 340-402 (102.4 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados in Sun: 156-185 (46.9 - 55.7%) -- 77% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Deoxys-D in Sun: 160-190 (52.6 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

With that in mind, I definitely suggest changing Thundurus to Choice Scarf Garchomp. This can easily and very effectively check both forms of Charizard while being to outspeed X at +1 no matter what. It can also keep Scarf Kyurem-B in check, even if that's a rare sight these days, It's still threatening to your team. Thundurus doesn't really do much for your team from what I can see, and it's only there as a check to faster threats your team struggles against. This is also a task ScarfChomp is able to do, with its power and speed. The only thing you lose is resistance to Brave Bird spamming, which Thundurus doesn't do well against anyway:

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 157-186 (52.3 - 62%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Garchomp won't take it "as well" as thundurus does, but it has Rough Skin to severely hurt Talonflame alongside recoil. And with how your team is meant to keep hazards and offensive pressure, it won't live for long.

@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge (/Rock Slide) / Fire Blast

Fire Blast nails skarmory and steels in general, while Stone Edge takes Volcarona out.

Good luck!

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-94908282

This bounce utterly destroyed venusaur
Mega Evolving right away with Gyarados was a mistake. Choosing when to Megavolve with Gyarados is especially important because the type change is that big. For example, Gyarados can set up all over Conkeldurr (who lack Stone Edge/T.Punch) on regular form but not with the mega. Megavolving on that Talonflame also caused it to be weak to U-turn rather than resist it. Other than that, Bounce would have probably done more thanks to STAB on regular Gyarados.

I am going to bump because I know that this team has a lot of flaws and I would really appreciate some more constructive criticism.

With Defog running about, consider sableye as your spinblocker. Priority taunt and ghost means those hazards are here to stay.

That also frees up the spot thundurus is in for a phazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)