Pokémon Decidueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heatran, bisharp, tyranitar, weavile, mega zard, basically fire and dark are your big enemies. Flying and ice are bothersome as well but fire and dark are more prevalent
In a way, they go on repeat with the Lati Twins counter, except Lati@s are faster. As much as I love this mon, it will have some heavy competition at Defog and the Special areas all-round.

In a way, they go on repeat with the Lati Twins counter, except Lati@s are faster. As much as I love this mon, it will have some heavy competition at Defog and the Special areas all-round.
Not really. You can't compare them JUST by the fact that they're specially bulky and have defog. That's like comparing Starmie and Excadrill just because they can use Rapid Spin effectively. Decidueye is a spinblocker and general utility mon. Lati twins are nukers. They use Defog VERY differently in their playstyles.

Personally I think it still has an advantage with spirit shackle as well as a typing that can spin block and ensure it can come in safely on a lot of other common types in the tier.

Not really. You can't compare them JUST by the fact that they're specially bulky and have defog. That's like comparing Starmie and Excadrill just because they can use Rapid Spin effectively. Decidueye is a spinblocker and general utility mon. Lati twins are nukers. They use Defog VERY differently in their playstyles.
This man gets exactly how decidueye is supposed to function.

I once saw a comment that suggested Decidueye is Celebi 2.0. No one uses that onion fairy for damage, but rather utility.

Same concept here. If you're using Decidueye to sweep, you're doing it wrong.

I once saw a comment that suggested Decidueye is Celebi 2.0. No one uses that onion fairy for damage, but rather utility.

I won't say that offensive sets are using decidueye wrong only because I've had some success with some bulky sd sets, but if you are running defog you definitely want the pivot spread. It's not very effective otherwise.

Ain't nobody usin a MSab to OHKO your Tapu Bulu. I mean they might if they have balls of iron but that's not the point I've said it countless times on this forum, this website, Showdown, and to others. Decidueye exists solely for role compression. You need a spinblocker? Check. You need an answer to that little bitch Tapu Koko? Check. You need an anti-stall mon? Check. You tired of your Hoopa getting dunked whenever you try and send it out? Give that man a slow U-Turn and trap the opposing mon while you're at it. You don't like sneaky pebbles? Fuck em right off then.

Point is that this mon does so much with so little that whenever I see someone try and use it like a god damn Dugtrio I want to slam their overpriced chromebook straight on their nuts.

Baton pass decidueye is the truth. That thing cn set up for free on a lot of trapped walls such as toxapex. You guys should really consider running brave bird on your Decidueye too. A lot of people like to switch M-Veno and Amoonguss in on him, thinking they can just eat up leaf blades and retaliate with sludge bomb. Brave Bird 2HKOs both of them.

Luring in and killing would-be checks is my favorite thing to do with this guy.

Baton pass decidueye is the truth. That thing cn set up for free on a lot of trapped walls such as toxapex. You guys should really consider running brave bird on your Decidueye too. A lot of people like to switch M-Veno and Amoonguss in on him, thinking they can just eat up leaf blades and retaliate with sludge bomb. Brave Bird 2HKOs both of them.

Luring in and killing would-be checks is my favorite thing to do with this guy.
Baton Pass can work I guess, but I just like U-Turn a lot more.

Also are you really gonna make me go over this again? You don't use Decidueye to kill shit. You don't go out of your way to build for things. Brave Bird CAN work, if you're willing to sacrifice either Defog or U-Turn. You. Don't. Do. It. 3 Attacks is bad on the bulky set. If you're talking about Bulky SD, it's extremely counterproductive and I don't see a point to it in the slightest. If you run Bulky SD you'd run Shackle Leaf Blade and Sucker Punch.

And there's a fine line between luring and just doing dumb things trying to land a kill. I'd say Brave Bird Decidueye is doing the latter. It can work on an Offensive set that isn't SD, but it doesn't work at all on the bulky set or the bulky SD set.

Baton Pass is almost mandatory if you're running Shackle, unless you're relying on Dugtrio. U-turn, however, makes his pivoting threatening. I personally run U-turn/Bpass/Shackle/Roost.
Strategy: Initially simply u-turn, feel out their response. If it's something you can set up on, Shackle it next time and B-pass to your set-up sweeper. You better be able to win off of that set-up.

Baton Pass can work I guess, but I just like U-Turn a lot more.

Also are you really gonna make me go over this again? You don't use Decidueye to kill shit. You don't go out of your way to build for things. Brave Bird CAN work, if you're willing to sacrifice either Defog or U-Turn. You. Don't. Do. It. 3 Attacks is bad on the bulky set. If you're talking about Bulky SD, it's extremely counterproductive and I don't see a point to it in the slightest. If you run Bulky SD you'd run Shackle Leaf Blade and Sucker Punch.

And there's a fine line between luring and just doing dumb things trying to land a kill. I'd say Brave Bird Decidueye is doing the latter. It can work on an Offensive set that isn't SD, but it doesn't work at all on the bulky set or the bulky SD set.
I my team was just a little lacking when it came to dealing with bulky grass types, so I edited my Decidueye set to deal with those better instead of u turn.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Baton Pass is almost mandatory if you're running Shackle, unless you're relying on Dugtrio. U-turn, however, makes his pivoting threatening. I personally run U-turn/Bpass/Shackle/Roost.
Strategy: Initially simply u-turn, feel out their response. If it's something you can set up on, Shackle it next time and B-pass to your set-up sweeper. You better be able to win off of that set-up.
Pretty sure TrapPass died in Gen V due to mechanic changes stopping Mean Look from being able to be Baton Passed. There's no reason to run both BP and U-turn because of this.

Pretty sure TrapPass died in Gen V due to mechanic changes stopping Mean Look from being able to be Baton Passed. There's no reason to run both BP and U-turn because of this.
If that applies to Shackle you're right, I've gotten succesful set-ups off a few times though. Might just be due to low rating on my test account.

As stated before, I can confirm through testing that Decidueye works amazingly well with Flying-type walls, especially the Johto duo, and Mantine even moreso than Skarmory. I posted a solid balance team in the SM OU Bazaar that utilizes Decidueye very well. SubPass is great for laughing at Toxapex and Ferrothorn, especially if you rely on sweepers, but U-Turn works if you really need Defog support or don't have much that'll be benefitting from the Sub to set up.

Last edited:
Interestingly, even though I can't test it out yet but in theory, Sdef Decidueye, Offensive SR Heatran, and Mega Gyarados make a great FWG core.
I support this fully because it sounds very well-rounded. I'd imagine SubPass to pass Subs to Gyarados, who covers most of our favorite ghostly owl's weaknesses?

Last edited:
Day 2: Opinion of Decidueye has changed after using different sets and teams.

SubPass is really good. Much less passive than the first defensive set in the OP since Baton Pass allows it to escape from problematic walls without reducing momentum and give its teammates good opportunities to switch in. Spirit Shackle works really nicely with it and Substitute helps a lot against slow mons relying on Toxic/Wisp. Passing the Substitute doll is also pretty feasible in practice.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-479186823 - Shows the utility of Sub against Amoongus. If it didn't get those two crit Sludge Bombs, I probably could have trapped it earlier and healed all the way up before passing another sub.

Life Orb Swords Dance also surprised me when I put in on another team. It really puts in work with its Sucker Punch and pretty strong STAB moves. I think that Decidium Z will probably be outclassed by Lum Berry on this set simply because it needs that strong Sucker Punch to be at its best. I need to try Swords Dance pass, but because of Decidueye's mediocre speed, I think it will work best as a slash on the SubPass set (which I should honestly just rename to Baton Pass). I also think that Nasty Plot probably won't work for the same reasons, but again, it must be tested.

Here are a couple replays of offensive Decidueye in action:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-479223885
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-479227152

Decidueye + Bewear is a pretty godlike core offensively and Defensively btw.

Yeah, I think defensive Decidueye wasn't working well for me when I tried it because I was playing on more bulky offense style teams rather than Balance or Stall. I simply don't have the time or patience to play a Stall team, but I thought it would work really well on a defensive team. It's really a great utility mon.
Do we know if BP passes the trapping effect?

Ok so I've found a couple variations of the bulky sd set that have worked pretty well for me:

Decidueye @Decidium Z/Leftovers/Life Orb
Adamant
116 HP 252 Atk 140 Speed
Swords Dance
Leaf Blade
Spirit Shackle
Sucker Punch

You can run any of the items above depending on how you want to play they all seem to work. Also, if you want a bulkier build you can swap the hp with the atk with the hp ev's, but the speed is to ensure you can outspeed standard defensive Rotom-W. I haven't tried any other moves on the set, I'm sure brave bird or low kick could work somehwere, just wouldn't know what to replace. I'm sure you could also throw roost in and get rid of sucker punch if you want recovery as well for some longevitiy.

Ok so I've found a couple variations of the bulky sd set that have worked pretty well for me:

Decidueye @Decidium Z/Leftovers/Life Orb
Adamant
116 HP 252 Atk 140 Speed
Swords Dance
Leaf Blade
Spirit Shackle
Sucker Punch

You can run any of the items above depending on how you want to play they all seem to work. Also, if you want a bulkier build you can swap the hp with the atk with the hp ev's, but the speed is to ensure you can outspeed standard defensive Rotom-W. I haven't tried any other moves on the set, I'm sure brave bird or low kick could work somehwere, just wouldn't know what to replace. I'm sure you could also throw roost in and get rid of sucker punch if you want recovery as well for some longevitiy.
I think Swords Dance/Spirit Shackle/Low Sweep/Roost is the set you wanna be running for bulky SD with that spread, maybe even forfeiting some speed depending on how much speed investment specially defensive Heatran will have this gen. That set offers perfect two-move coverage and longevity, allowing it to check Waters and Electrics throughout the match before it sweeps. Plus, it can lure in Darks, especially Bisharp, and kill them.

Otherwise, I think you're better off running your set with max Speed to tie Adamant Bisharp (even though you won't be doing much to it) and Breloom, going all-out with Life Orb.

Brave Bird also deserves a mention on either set. Ghost/Flying has solid coverage and Brave Bird hits just as hard as Spirit Shackle.

what do you guys think of my set?

Decidueye @ Assault Vest
Adamant
252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 HP
Spirit Shackle
Sucker Punch
U-Turn
Leaf Blade

The point of this set is for Decidueye to trap one of the opponent's pokemon that would cause a lot of trouble to your team, then get out quickly and switch to a counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)