ORAS PU Daydreaming

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
Daydreaming
An ORAS PU RMT by VeryPinkPancakes

Hey guys, VeryPinkPancakes here. It's been over a year since I made my last RMT, and really battled competitively. In January of 2015, I joined Battle Dome, PS's text-based RPG (Join it by the way!!!), and never looked back. I've gotten involved with development of Battle Dome, along with playing a lot of Mafia, Survivor, and other games in rooms. Recently, I got a little bored and decided to begin battling again. PU was the tier that stood out to me as welcoming, fun to play, and something new- PU was not official when I last played competitively. Then, I signed up for the Battling 101 program in PU. Ever since, I've liked the PU tier and room. One thing to get out of the way- I built this team with help from my tutor, Megazard. Even if I refer to myself as "I" in this RMT, it is more like "we" as in Megazard and I. Thanks for showing me a ton about my play style and the tier in general. This is for you. :]

Totally unrelated, but I took this team all the way to Week 6 in PU Seasonal- pretty good, to be honest, down to the final 32. I won most of the PUPL games that I played with this team, so that's good. Anyway, let's get on to the team!

Teambuilding Process

I began with Lapras, as it was a Poke that I have been wanting to use for a while. I added Dodrio to wall-break for Lapras to sweep late-game, and to weaken Fighting-types like Machoke.

This core is annoyed by fast Electric-types like Rotom-F and Raichu who can hit both Lapras and Dodrio with Volt Switch, severely weakening them. I added Camerupt to remedy this and to be able to set up Stealth Rock.

I added Machoke in order to check Rock- and Ground-types such as Relicanth and Golem, to which I had no switch-in.

I added Vullaby because I needed a reliable hazard remover. It also has great synergy with Camerupt as the defensive core.

Then, I added Zebstrika because I wanted a check to opposing Flying-types. Zebstrika's Volt Switch works well with Vullaby's U-Turn in order to gain momentum.

After a test game or two, I decided to switch out Camerupt for Golem in order to get a better switch-in to Normal spam, as Stoutland was a huge threat to this team.

Poke-by-Poke Analysis

Astentia (Lapras) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Freeze-Dry
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Surf

Lapras is the Pokemon that I based this team around. Choice Specs allow Lapras to be a powerful sweeper. Most Lapras run Freeze-Dry, Ice Beam, Hydro and Surf, but I am running Thunderbolt over Ice Beam in order to check other Lapras, which would be a problem to the team otherwise. 136 Speed allows Lapras to outspeed max Speed, Adamant Base 45s (Armaldo, Crustle, Lead Golem, Marowak).

bluff (Dodrio) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Early Bird
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Frustration
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Dodrio is the main check for Fighting-types on the team, as well as a powerful wallbreaker. Lapras is able to KO many checks to Dodrio that prevent it from sweeping, such as Stunfisk, Golem, and Probopass. In return, Scarf Dodrio outspeeds most of the tier and is able to weaken Pokemon for Lapras to sweep. The moveset and EV spread are fairly standard and self-explanatory.​

least likely to (Golem) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Atk / 228 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Specially Defensive Golem is my Stealth Rock setter, and rocks help Lapras and Dodrio sweep. In addition, both Dodrio and Lapras cannot switch-in to Rock- or Electric-type moves, so Golem is perfect for remedying this weakness. The Electric-type immunity is also necessary so I do not get run over by Volt-Turn teams. The moves and EVs are standard; I am running Sucker Punch over Toxic because my team lacks any other form of priority.

ban (Machoke) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 140 HP / 252 Atk / 96 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off

How do you not use the most broken Pokemon in the tier? I'm finding it harder and harder to not use Machoke these days... Anyway, despite how Golem is Specially Defensive, I needed a switch-in to strong Special Attackers, as Golem still has a lot more Physical Defense than Special Defense. With that, I turned to Machoke- with a lot of Special Defense EVs. Although you lose some Speed, this spread allows Machoke to live two Blizzards from Scarf Rotom-F even after Stealth Rock 98% of the time. The Rest-Talk set gives Machoke the recovery that it needs in order to take on Special Attackers.

literally by (Vullaby) @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Lapras and Dodrio are both weak to Stealth Rock, so leaving them up on my side of the field was not an option. As a result, I recruited Vullaby, in my opinion, the most reliable Defogger in the tier. This conveniently coincided with the fact that I needed a Physical Wall- I didn't really have a Monferno switch-in. This Vullaby set is fairly standard, but the important thing that Vullaby is needed for is Defog.

comical (Zebstrika) @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt

Finally, we decided that another Electric-type immunity would be appreciated, and Zebstrika worked great as another wallbreaker. Many common switch-ins to Zebstrika are weakened by Lapras, like many Grass- and Ground-types, whereas Zebstrika weakens Water-types that switch in to Lapras. Also, I was weak to Golem, so I am using Hidden Power Grass, which easily 2HKOs on the switch in. Overall, Zebstrika is a great momentum-giver and wallbreaker.

Threatlist

Ice-types: Assuming they weaken Lapras and Machoke, both Articuno and Regice can be huge threats and sweep my team.

Machoke: Who ISN'T weak to Machoke these days? If they weaken Dodrio, it's hard for me to beat.

Simisear: Assuming it is the mixed set, it is hard for me to beat- everything on my team gets 2HKO'd by at least one of the attacks. Dodrio and Zebstrika can outspeed it and Machoke can live a Fire Blast and KO with Dynamic Punch, but it's still hard for me to beat.

Thanks for reading!

Astentia (Lapras) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Surf

bluff (Dodrio) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Early Bird
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Frustration
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

least likely to (Golem) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Atk / 224 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

ban (Machoke) @ Eviolite
EVs: 140 HP / 252 Atk / 96 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off

literally by (Vullaby) @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

comical (Zebstrika) @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt

I've made a bunch of friends in the PU room specifically since I joined it. I am only saying PU friends for shoutouts because otherwise, there would be too many... but if I'm your friend in Battle Dome, Mafia, Survivor, Game Corner, Scavengers, (Old Friend From) Tournaments, Cafe, The Studio, or I know you from somewhere else, hi! You're awesome.

Yosp Dibs The Dreamer Megazard ManOfMany Akir Rebel Pawniards EnemyJurist The Jungle Fox 5gen Sobi Sir Kay I definitely missed some people, it's a bigger list than this.

I probably missed you; if I did miss you and you think I'm your friend, then I probably am. Hi <3

Anyway, thanks for reading! Please leave constructive criticism and rates.

Last edited:
hi vpp, cool team here.

to begin with, you have 0 switchins to golem at this point, as your entire team is either OHKOd or 2HKOd by the edgequake combo, so im gonna suggest you change your machoke from its current spread --> 248 HP / 140 Def / 120 Spdef Impish, which allows you to avoid the 2HKO from earthquake and beat it 1v1 while also giving you more reliability vs rotom and regice.
Machoke @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 120 SpD
Impish Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

you also lack a win condition at this point, which is in my opinion, very important for a team of this playstyle. as you mention, ice-types, machoke, and simisear are all problematic for you, which is why im going to suggest you change zebstrika --> colbur cm grumpig, which seems wierd, but gives you a check to all of these pokemon as well as a wincon.
Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball / Power Gem
- Focus Blast

(power gem is optional to better take on articuno as well as lure vullaby to an extent)

hope i helped!

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
hi vpp, cool team here.

to begin with, you have 0 switchins to golem at this point, as your entire team is either OHKOd or 2HKOd by the edgequake combo, so im gonna suggest you change your machoke from its current spread --> 248 HP / 140 Def / 120 Spdef Impish, which allows you to avoid the 2HKO from earthquake and beat it 1v1 while also giving you more reliability vs rotom and regice.
Machoke @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 120 SpD
Impish Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

you also lack a win condition at this point, which is in my opinion, very important for a team of this playstyle. as you mention, ice-types, machoke, and simisear are all problematic for you, which is why im going to suggest you change zebstrika --> colbur cm grumpig, which seems wierd, but gives you a check to all of these pokemon as well as a wincon.
Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball / Power Gem
- Focus Blast

(power gem is optional to better take on articuno as well as lure vullaby to an extent)

hope i helped!
Thanks for the rate and help, I'll definitely try these changes out, they look great :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)