Critique/Help me plan 4 in-game teams

Hi,

I wanted to play HG, XY, OR, and Ultra Sun and plan out teams. (most likely Y and OR if I were to pick)

My main theme/thing is to try and fit all the HMs onto my team without dedicated HM users (n/a for Ultra Sun). Usually I try to use a non-water type Surf mon, and then have a physical water type with Waterfall. In the case of Omega Ruby I do either with Latios (I don't usually like using legendaries/too many gifts but an exception here).

I'd also like to skip using my starter in Hoenn and Alola (and also Kalos if I find a team that I like more).

I can trade Pokemon(or eggs?) to myself if needed

Here is what I have planned and my thoughts

HG
  • Feraligatr
  • Tyranitar (Surf user)
  • Heracross
  • Ampharos
  • Xatu

I have an extra slot - I could use a better Psychic type, but there were no other flying types I wanted anyways. Nidoking could also be a good Surf user and I could use Tyranitar in another game

XY
  • Delphox
  • Aerodactyl
  • Heliolisk (Surf user)
  • Blastoise / Azumarill
  • Pangoro / Lucario (Pangoro can also learn Surf lol)

I have an extra slot; I don't really have a Fairy counter - I could use Lucario but I've used it a lot/don't really want to. I thought Pangoro could be a good option but it weakens me to Fairy more. I also think Blastoise is a really boring water option

ORAS
  • Absol
  • Latios (Surf user)
  • Azumarill / Sharpedo
  • Flygon
  • Manectric
  • Metagross

I don't have to use Latios, in fact I could probably trade a Helioptile/Heliolisk and use that in stead of both Latios/Manectric. I don't like the Psychic overlap between Latios and Metagross. I also feel like I don't have many early-game options to replace my starter with.

Ultra Sun
  • Salamence
  • Kommo-o
  • Alolan Marowak

I mostly just threw this together without much thought. I'd like to use Toucannon but I didn't really like anything that covers it. I do have Litten.

P.S. I hope this post belongs here since it's about ingame teams

Last edited:
Well there’s this. Three of these games have their own picker, and I bet you could easily use the Home picker for your HG team.

EDIT: For an actual opinion, and example of how useful the link is, in XY if you’re using Pangoro and want a Fairy counter I suggest any of the Grass/Poison types (Roserade, Vileplume, Venusaur if you want to pick that over Blastoise, or Victreebel if you’re willing to wait). Grass/Poison covers the bigger weaknesses (ie. types two of your Pokémon are weak to) your team has; it resists Water, Electric, and Fighting while providing SE damage against Ground and Rock as well as Water, plus it’s Poison without being weak to Ground (also, the weaknesses Grass/Poison does have are already covered pretty well by the rest of your team).

Also might I ask, why are you not using Water-types for Surf?

Last edited:

BreadLoeuf

[bɹɛd.lœf]
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Alrighty, I'm not doing anything this morning

For HGSS, I'd say get Primo's Slugma. You will be able to catch mareep in the route afterwards, so just getting the Slugma egg will give you a fire type. Normally, I'm big on having a fire/water/grass core, but since you're also not using a grass type seemingly, Magcargo makes for a fun pick.

For XY, I'd say use pangoro over Luc if that's what you really wanna do. Pangoro is still a good option, though I haven't played XY at all. Azumarill seems like a good choice over Blastoise. It evolves really quickly and has two great abilities for the entire game. Can't say that about blastoise. When it comes to a fairy counter, the only thing I could suggest is mawile.

Heliolisk > Latios sounds fine, and for the final member, I'd say Growlithe is dexnavvable and gives you steel-type coverage.

Well there’s this. Three of these games have their own picker, and I bet you could easily use the Home picker for your HG team.

EDIT: For an actual opinion, and example of how useful the link is, in XY if you’re using Pangoro and want a Fairy counter I suggest any of the Grass/Poison types (Roserade, Vileplume, Venusaur if you want to pick that over Blastoise, or Victreebel if you’re willing to wait). Grass/Poison covers the bigger weaknesses (ie. types two of your Pokémon are weak to) your team has; it resists Water, Electric, and Fighting while providing SE damage against Ground and Rock as well as Water, plus it’s Poison without being weak to Ground (also, the weaknesses Grass/Poison does have are already covered pretty well by the rest of your team).

Also might I ask, why are you not using Water-types for Surf?
I'll keep that in mind, thank you. The picker doesn't really give suggestions on what Pokemon can fit your team so it's useful for seeing weaknesses/coverage but I still have to manually find something that fits. I'll keep in mind the Grass/Poison, but generally they don't feel strong, but I guess it does fit my team well.

Regarding Surf, I didn't want to put Surf on a physical water Pokemon when it will likely get Waterfall on it anyways (and also didn't want 2 HMs on the same Pokemon). There are some non-water options for Surf, but basically none for Waterfall so I think it's better to have a physical water 'mon and Surf on something else

Alrighty, I'm not doing anything this morning

For HGSS, I'd say get Primo's Slugma. You will be able to catch mareep in the route afterwards, so just getting the Slugma egg will give you a fire type. Normally, I'm big on having a fire/water/grass core, but since you're also not using a grass type seemingly, Magcargo makes for a fun pick.

For XY, I'd say use pangoro over Luc if that's what you really wanna do. Pangoro is still a good option, though I haven't played XY at all. Azumarill seems like a good choice over Blastoise. It evolves really quickly and has two great abilities for the entire game. Can't say that about blastoise. When it comes to a fairy counter, the only thing I could suggest is mawile.

Heliolisk > Latios sounds fine, and for the final member, I'd say Growlithe is dexnavvable and gives you steel-type coverage.
I like Azumarill for X/Y, my only problem with using it is that I wouldn't want to also use it in ORAS. But then Sharpedo overlaps with Absol

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Would it be considered against the rules to hyperlink my team-building thread to this discussion? I'm being completely serious. This sounds like something I could probably help with. If the mods aren't against it, I'll get some extra team requests logged in based on this thread's initial post. Sound good? Again, this is assuming this is allowed, but I don't imagine there being any serious issues.

Would it be considered against the rules to hyperlink my team-building thread to this discussion? I'm being completely serious. This sounds like something I could probably help with. If the mods aren't against it, I'll get some extra team requests logged in based on this thread's initial post. Sound good? Again, this is assuming this is allowed, but I don't imagine there being any serious issues.
I submitted a form for your thread as well, so either way is fine

Okay so I decided to just go through Ultra Sun (semi)"blind" (esp. since having no HMs gives more flexibility) and so far I've been really liking Pikipek/Trumbeak. I also have Magnemite but I'm not so happy about it's limited movepool later on. I'm also pretty intent on Alolan Marowak (it gets some Ground moves so I'm hoping that gives some coverage). But that leaves me with a big Ground weakness, maybe better when (eventually) Toucannon gets Bullet Seed.

So I need a Grass or Water type I guess. But I don't really like many of either besides Sceptile/Primarina ironically. So that's an awkard / ironic situation.

Last edited:
I went with Primarina on account of how I need Ice Beam down the line. Starmie and possibly Slowking were other options. It's not super useful atm but I'm hoping that changes.

Something I found interesting: For a past Platinum team, I didn't even have a water type. I used Dragonite for Waterfall and Garchomp for Surf.

(also I shouldn't care too much for type overlap considering I really liked that team despite it having 2 4x Ice weaknesses and 3 Fighting types)

Last edited:
I think I went through several attempts at teambuilding for an in-game team and here are a few of the conclusions I've come to...(they are kind of basic to be honest)

(Feel free to disagree, since ingame team-building is almost completely personal preference)

I mostly went off pure typing, and looked at what would counter counters, and looked at coverage movepools/learnsets. I didn't really consider TM access until I looked at learnsets (and even then I didn't see where the TM was in the particular game). So there are certainly flaws with this way of going about it. So I guess generally types that introduce less weaknesses and hit more types will be preferred.

Ice types are not really needed since Water mons can learn coverage. Similarly with Bug types with U-Turn/X-Scissor/Signal Beam, and...idk I just think it's a bad type. And also Rock types and Rock Slide / Stone Edge.

(But you could make the same case against other types, esp. Fighting e.g.)

Water types are generally needed since 1. HM use 2. The only other counter to Ground is Grass, and I think Water is a more useful/better type

Similarly, I like Electric types against Water since I seem to not like Grass types, and it only adds one weakness...Ground

Though if there is a particular Grass type, it is conversely also good against both Ground/Water, and some (other) mons do get access to Electric/Water coverage depending on the game.

Since you generally need a flying type/Fly HM user, you get coverage against Grass, Fighting, and Bug by default, and so Fire types are maybe less necessary

However, you bring weaknesses to Ice/Rock/Ground, so besides Water, a Fighting or Ground type could be helpful, especially since Electric's only weakness is Ground. And since I'm seemingly not as keen on Fire types, you need an answer for Steel...and also Dark since I disregarded Bug.

You could also do Fairy for a STAB Dragon counter (instead of depending on a Water mon's Ice Beam etc.) as well as Dark coverage though.

And due to needing Ground types and Flying types, you don't really need a Psychic type since Poison/Fighting is already covered.

Steel/Poison is needed to counter Fairy, but I honestly just don't think of this one as much due to relatively limited interaction with the Fairy type. And again, coverage via semi-common TMs perhaps. Steel is probably better though since it hits more than only Grass/Fairy, and while I don't totally consider it, it has good resistances.

Dark types are preferred since Ghost's only other counter is...Ghost, and that doesn't totally work out imo. But you can maybe ignore either type since a lot of mons get access to Shadow Ball / Crunch / Dark Pulse?

I'm not too sure what else I could come with, just some things I noticed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)