Creative (and good) Movesets (READ THE OP FIRST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magnezone is the premier steel killer and arch-nemesis of Ferrothorn, Subcharge likely being it's most used set. However, Ferrothorn can occasionally come out on top against Subcharge Magnezone due to factors such as leech seed, crits, paralysis, or even Choice Band. This set nullifies all of those factors, and makes trapping and eliminating Ferrothorn less of an ordeal, especially in the rain.

-SolarZone-

Magnezone@Leftovers/Air Balloon
Modest 78 HP/252 SpAtk/180 Speed
Sunny Day
Substitute/Magnet Rise
Hidden Power Fire
Thunderbolt

Sunny Day ensures that HP Fire will fry even them most specially defensive Ferrothorn, doing 92.05-109.09% to max/max careful Ferrothorn, averaging an OHKO, and guaranteeing one with SR or Spikes. It also OHKO's Scizor, and a host of other slow steel types. Magnet Rise + Air Balloon gives Excadrill a good reason to run Brick Break over X-Scissor or Frustration, and makes Metagross want to use Hammer Arm.

180 Speed EV's give Magnezone enough speed to outrun uninvested pokemon up to base 82, including Scizor, Gyarados, Mamoswine, and Metagross

Counter-intuitively, this set functions well on rain teams, as many rain sweepers appreciate the removal of Ferrothorn. Removing the enemy weather for a while can be beneficial as well.

gengar lure

okay, the set above me is gonna be a life saver (or more of a game saver) if my pikachu sash-endeavor doesn't work. i have a real problem with ferrothorn.
but sunny day support would leave open a space for both substitute and magnet rise, and open item space up for only leftovers. actually my team would benefit from sunny day being the move, since i have a ttar lead, not on a sandstorm team. so sunny-ing it up for subpetaya gengar (street pokemon) to sweep without dying from sandstorm damage.

i have a little gengar lure, to "lure" out gengar threats and ko.

gengar @ life orb
ability: levitate
naughty nature (+atk -spd)
- substitute
- focus punch
- HP fire
- destiny bond/mean look
EVs: 252 hp/ 68 spa/ 188 spe

with this, gengar can successfully outspeed and kill counters like tyranitar, blissey, and even scizor and forretress sometimes. substitute with 303 speed outspeeds max speed tyranitar and blissey. focus punch takes out tyranitar and blissey. HP fire as soon as scizor or forretress comes in. i would only mean look on forretress and blissey, as scizor and ttar both can set up. destiny bond is very good for taking down the revenge killer with you if its not scarfed. i hope it works for someone, i really like this set.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Haxorus @ Choice Scarf
ability: Rivalry
Adamant nature (+atk -spd)
- Outrage
- Brick Break
- Earth Quake
- Dragon Claw
EVs: 6 hp/ 252 atk/ 252 spe
This thing kills sweepers who stay in expecting to ouspeed and one hit kill frail Haxorus. Earthquake, Brick Break, and Rivalry can be changed to better suit a teams individual needs.

Haxorus @ Choice Scarf
- Outrage
- Brick Break
- Earth Quake
- Dragon Claw
This thing kills sweepers who stay in expecting to ouspeed and one hit kill frail Haxorus. Earthquake, Brick Break, and Rivalry can be changed to better suit a teams individual needs.
What are you to do is a male Haxorus is against a female Haxorus?

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Haxorus @ Choice Scarf
- Outrage
- Brick Break
- Earth Quake
- Dragon Claw
Not to be scathing in any way, but this isn't really a creative set. It's sort of just a standard Choice Scarfer.

I tried this set in beta server today and it tends to surprise opponents
Dusclops @evolite
Bold 0HPIV
252 Def 252spDef 4speed
Mean look
Night shade/seismic toss
Wilowisp/toxic/icy wind
Pain split
If the opponent has a pokemon that must be removed possibly at the risk of dusclops this set can trap it and kill by using pain split to lower it's health then finishing with night shade/seismic toss. Icy wind can be used to lower speed, as a status can negatively effect pain splits recovery ability. It can also support a team by leaving a team member's would be counter too slow or weak to deal with it.
Well, this is basically a variation of standard Dusclops, but Mean Look is certainly unexpected. However, a pokemon that Dusclops is able to actually successfully wall is unlikely to stay in, so you'll probably just end up Mean Looking a counter. If Dusclops instead walls your opponent's entire team, then 1) Your opponent sucks and 2) the standard set would work equally well. Still, nice concept, but imo the best user of Mean Look is Perish Trapper Murkrow, and even then it's a little iffy.

... well, while we're on the topic of outclassed sets...

okay, so the other day I was spamming a rain team on UU, and this is what I ended up using to sweep around 3 pokes on average right from the lead position
Adamant Qwilfish @ Mental Herb
Swift Swim
252 Atk / 4 Defense / 252 Spe
Rain Dance
Swords Dance
Waterfall
Poison Jab

This is basically a pseudo-Double Dancer that can often get both Rain Dance and Swords Dance up in the lead position. I run Mental Herb because too often I get Taunted, whereas the Mental Herb enables me to get off a Rain Dance and often a Swords Dance as they Taunt me again.
Water/Poison has surprisingly excellent coverage in UU, being walled only off the top of my head by Empoleon, and those often are Specially Defensively oriented.
This would also work in RU as there are still plenty of pokemon that can take advantage of the rain there. Now, I know a lot of you may be saying that Qwilfish is outclassed by Kabutops, but Qwilfish doesn't have to rely on Stone Edge's atrocious accuracy, and Kabutops is both frailer and weak to priority. Qwilfish also has a better typing for getting up Rain Dance in the first place.
Thoughts?

That Qwilfish is pretty darn cool, mostly because people expect it to set up some kind of Spikes. Swords Dance is the last thing you'd expect.

Poliwrath
Water Absorb
Careful
@leftovers
Moveset
Circle Throw
Bulk Up
Rest
Sleep Talk

This guy is pretty surprising. If the other team doesn't have a ghost, he starts shuffling the entire team while surviving several hits after even a single bulk up. Rest up to cure status and sleep talk to keep bulking up or Throwing. If you set hazards up, its incredible.

Poliwrath
Water Absorb
Careful
@leftovers
Moveset
Circle Throw
Bulk Up
Rest
Sleep Talk

This guy is pretty surprising. If the other team doesn't have a ghost, he starts shuffling the entire team while surviving several hits after even a single bulk up. Rest up to cure status and sleep talk to keep bulking up or Throwing. If you set hazards up, its incredible.
EVs are missing.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
I actually ran something like this in UU and it's pretty neat; Poliwrath's typing is incredibly useful (Sharpedo, anyone?) and can definitely find a place on a team.
As for EVs, I'd assume the obvious 252 HP / 4 Atk /252 SpD.
more comments on the Qwilfish please? I'd like to see how I can improve it.

also am I mistaken or does no one follow the "comment on the previous set" rule? :P

Dragonite @ Lum Berry/Leftovers
ability: Inner Focus
nature: Naive/Hasty
- Haze
- Draco Meteor
- Superpower
- Roost
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpeA / 252 Spe

Simply use Haze after you have fired off a few Draco Meteor's and Superpower's to lose all those stat drops. Roost is simply for longevity. It is worth noting that Multiscale is illegal with Superpower, so no DW ability.

- Mist
- Draco Meteor
- Superpower
- Roost

Simply use Mist and fire off Draco Meteor's and Superpower's without the stat drops. Roost is simply for longevity. It is worth noting that Multiscale is illegal with Superpower, so no DW ability.
Mist doesn't block self-stat-drops.

- Mist
- Draco Meteor
- Superpower
- Roost

Simply use Mist and fire off Draco Meteor's and Superpower's without the stat drops. Roost is simply for longevity. It is worth noting that Multiscale is illegal with Superpower, so no DW ability.
Use Haze instead. I kind of like this idea.

Okay, so, for those of you having trouble with Politoed Raining on your parade (lol), I present:

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Levitate // Modest/Timid
4 HP/ 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Substitute
- Pain Split/Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Charge Beam/Thunderbolt

This is, in my opinion, one of the best sets in the metagame at the moment: try it out.

Who's the only NFE pokemon whose base stat total doesnt change when it evolves? Scyther. So...why have I seen so little on Eviolite Scyther? As long as SR isn't up to ruin your day (Espeon Magic Bounce ftw) the pre-evo stone gives Scyther greater defenses than its older brother could ever imagine.

Scyther @ Eviolite
Technician | Impish (+Def, -SAtk)
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
- Swords Dance
- Aerial Ace
- Bug Bite
- Roost

Just to show how hard this thing is to kill, if you switch in on a predicted fighting move from standard Conkeldurr, you can take the lol% damage, dance on the next turn and tank the Stone Edge (82-97% damage), OHKOing on the next turn with Aerial Ace!

You could also run Careful and max SDef EVs to have the same effect on the special side, or send some EVs to attack to let it dent things harder.

Its typing is still unfortunate, but you might as well make the most of it with two base 135 (after STAB) attacks. Roost is to heal, obviously, and to halve the damage of some super-effective moves (most useful when you figure your opponent will volt switch).

===

And on an unrelated note, I'm sure running the grass-resist berry on Unaware Quagsire to patch up the last hole in its defense (usually to ensure that a yawn will phaze the boosted sweeper carrying grass knot before it runs through the rest of your team) is a 'creative' option, but is it a 'good' option as well?

Okay, so, for those of you having trouble with Politoed Raining on your parade (lol), I present:

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Levitate // Modest/Timid
4 HP/ 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Substitute
- Pain Split/Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Charge Beam/Thunderbolt

This is, in my opinion, one of the best sets in the metagame at the moment: try it out.
how is this creative? its probably the most common set wash rotom runs.

Who's the only NFE pokemon whose base stat total doesnt change when it evolves? Scyther. So...why haven't I seen so little on Eviolite Scyther? As long as SR isn't up to ruin your day (Espeon Magic Bounce ftw) the pre-evo stone gives Scyther greater defenses than its older brother could ever imagine.

Scyther @ Eviolite
Technician | Impish (+Def, -SAtk)
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
- Swords Dance
- Aerial Ace
- Bug Bite
- Roost

Just to show how hard this thing is to kill, if you switch in on a predicted fighting move from standard Conkeldurr, you can take the lol% damage, dance on the next turn and tank the Stone Edge (82-97% damage), OHKOing on the next turn with Aerial Ace!

You could also run Careful and max SDef EVs to have the same effect on the special side, or send some EVs to attack to let it dent things harder.

Its typing is still unfortunate, but you might as well make the most of it with two base 135 (after STAB) attacks. Roost is to heal, obviously, and to halve the damage of some super-effective moves (most useful when you figure your opponent will volt switch).

===

And on an unrelated note, I'm sure running the grass-resist berry on Unaware Quagsire to patch up the last hole in its defense (usually to ensure that a yawn will phaze the boosted sweeper carrying grass knot before it runs through the rest of your team) is a 'creative' option, but is it a 'good' option as well?
Most Conkeldurr run Mach Punch, and I think that could KO is Scyther has 3% of HP left.

Most Conkeldurr run Mach Punch, and I think that could KO is Scyther has 3% of HP left.
252 Atk Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs 252 HP/252 Def Eviolite Scyther: 2.91% - 3.49%

If you get at or near the max damage roll on stone edge, sure...but anything short and youre a sitting duck lol

EDIT: just ran a few calcs:
switching in on drain punch: average 21 hp
taking stone edge: 310
taking mach punch: 11

total average damage: 422
scyther's total hp: 424

though it mostly comes down to the damage roll on stone edge, scyther has a greater than 50% shot at taking out conkeldurr.

0 +2 Atk Scyther Aerial Ace vs 212 HP/0 Def Conkeldurr: 109.16% - 128.47%

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
Unfortunately, sandstorm is often going to be in play, especially because the best OU spinners are Water-type and thus you can't afford to run them on the same team as Politoed without taking a major hit to your synergy.
Anyways, I wouldn't really entrust countering Conkeldurr to Scyther.
Still, it's an interesting thing to try in the lower tiers.

well, the point isnt necessarily to check conkeldurr...the example was just to show how bulky eviolite scyther can get, as it doesnt get ohko'd by a 4x super effective attack from a dedicated physical sweeper

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
alright, I apologize for missing your point.
The problem is, Scyther can only really wall one side at a time, and its (lack of) resistances make it hard to switch in.
Again, going to try this out in RU or maybe even NU, and if it works great there then it may have a niche in UU and above.

yeah, thisll probably work best in the lower tiers...

EDIT: however, to your 'can only wall one side at a time' point:
my personal benchmark for special walling is the ability to take standard specs latios' draco meteor without dying:

252 SpAtk Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs 252 HP/4 SpDef Eviolite Scyther: 79.65% - 94.19%

And Scyther makes the grade. (unfortunately bug bite cant ohko, doing 84-99% damage in return.)

For comparison:

252 SpAtk Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Eviolite Scyther: 55.23% - 65.41%

The specially defensive version can switch in on a Draco Meteor and force Latios out.

252 Atk Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs 252 HP/252 Def Eviolite Scyther: 2.91% - 3.49%

If you get at or near the max damage roll on stone edge, sure...but anything short and youre a sitting duck lol

EDIT: just ran a few calcs:
switching in on drain punch: average 21 hp
taking stone edge: 310
taking mach punch: 11

total average damage: 422
scyther's total hp: 424

though it mostly comes down to the damage roll on stone edge, scyther has a greater than 50% shot at taking out conkeldurr.

0 +2 Atk Scyther Aerial Ace vs 212 HP/0 Def Conkeldurr: 109.16% - 128.47%
Scyther's max HP is NOT 424, it is 344.

bah, i mixed up the numbers somehow

you mightve guessed by the fact that 21+310+11 = 342, not 422

the point still stands, on average scyther will hang on by a thread.

(aside from the fact that its not actually the point...)

Virizion @ Light Clay
Justified / Impish (+Def -SpA)
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Leaf Blade
Reflect
Light Screen
Taunt

This is my favorite dual screen set when I play in the OU tier. Capable of hitting both Ferrothorn and Jellicent for STAB super effective damage and capable of taunting to prevent a WoW, Twave, or spikes. It can also switch in on a predicted leech seed. A great switch in to Rotom-W as well, resisting both its STABS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)