Core for Core

I've found regenerator slowbro to be the greatest physical wall I've ever used, but have had major difficulty creating a decent deffensive core for it. In the end I realized there was no choic but to create a 3 pokemon core to create perfect synergy.

The Deffensive core:

Slowbro-regenerate, leftovers
(Courage)
Bold, 252HP, 252Def, 4SpA
scald
ice beam
toxic
slack off
What I'd call the physical wall to end all physical walls. It takes dragon danced attacks on a regular basis, and toxic stalls other walls to death. Not only that, but it regernerates significant portions of HP, allowing it to effectively have as much as double it's actualy hit points. The only problem with it is the ammount of weaknesses it carrys. While grass, electric, and ghost arn't the things physical walls will be taking anyhow, dark and bug are a problem. Scald is a no brainer for a "stall-wall," and Ice beam was put in for thos pesky gliscors who can't do a thing to fight back.

Virizion-Justified, leftovers
(Venta)
Calm, 252HP, 252SpD, 4SpA
Giga Drain
Focus Blast
Hidden Power Ice
Calm Mind
The need for a special deffender that could take those nasty grass and electric moves lead to a search for a decent grass type. The result was virizion, who not only resists those types, but is netural to bug and eats dark moves. The only problem here is that unlike slowbro, it lacks the amazing recovery, relying on giga drain for getting back HP. Synthesis is risky though with the prevalance of sandstorm. Calm mind allows it to better wall other bulky special attackers, and retaliate full force. Still, it's not much of an offensive force, and doesn't stall well.

Focus blast is powerful stab. Nuff sed.

Heatran-Flash Fire, leftovers
(Blastank)
Calm, 252HP, 252SpD, 4SpA
Lava Plume
Dragon Pulse
Toxic
Stealth Rock
The final peice of the puzzle, Heatran's fighting weakness is covered by Slowbro, while it's ground weakness is of no concern to the rest of the team, and may even end up being resisted by some of the offensive core, allowing a chance to slip in and sweep. Toxic is chosen over willowisp since it's not going to be switching in on many physcial attackers anyway. Lavaplume is kept on the off chance that burn is desired, and stealth rock can sometimes be thrown in during a forced switch. Dragon pulse let's it take out the dragons it walls so well, as well as being good coverage with a fire move.

Virizion and Heatran are both specially deffensive as Slowbro can take hits, leave, and come back to do it again. Overall, they seems to support Slowbro very well.

The offensive core:

Scizor-Technician, Choice Band
(Red Angel)
Adamant, 248HP, 252Atk, 8Spe
Bullet Punch
Superpower
Pursuit
U-turn
The pokemon seems to fit in perfectly on the team, being wonderfuly deffended by Heatran's flash fire, and having plenty of opportunites to switch in for slowbro. Very standard Scizor moveset. I chose choiceband over swords dance, since a significant portion of the team is allready devoted to deffense, and instant hits are needed. (If that's bad reasoning, someone stop me)

After that it gets kind of iffy... I'm not entirely sure what offensive pokes fit into this team.... I gave some random guesses.

Zapdos-Pressure, life orb(lightingrod would be nice but... DW is so... ew)
(Tempest)
Timid, 8HP, 252SpA, 252Spe
Thunderbolt
Extrasensory
Hiddenpower Ice
Roost
Not really all that fancy, it was chosen for ground, grass, bug and fighting resist, possibly allowing it a switch in. Lightningrod would make it even better, but things get messy when you go dreamworld. Decent movepool for coverage choices. Thunderbolt is obligatory stab, and HP ice always gives good coverage. Extrasensory is there for the sole reason that not having at least one decent psychic move on a team has screwed me over too many times in the past. Roost is recovery, and can be a life saver with life orb.

Hydreigon-Levitate, Life orb
(Yokai)
Timid, 8HP, 252SpA, 252Spe
Draco Meteor
Dark Pules
Flame Thrower
Focus Blast
Mostly a leftover from a previous version of the team, Hydreigon can still serve his purpose well on occasion. His resists allow him a chance to occasionaly switch in for slowbro or Heatran, and his movepool gets very good coverage, tearing up ferrothorns and the like. Dark pulse is stab, while draco meteor allows it to take out something when you don't feel like waiting. Focus blast is always a nice surprise. I'm considering swithing him out for Aerodactyl.

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, I'm working on a team with that exact FWG core xD

First of I recommend expanding your descriptions. (you need one for each team member)

Ok I only have a bit of advise. First off I recommend Flamethrower over ice beam. Flamethrower 2HKOs Ferrothorn and Skarmory, which important since you don't have a spinner.

I also recommed Expert Belt over life orb on Hydreigon. This will bluff Spec/Scarf and it might net you a surprise kill.

I'll add more once you finish the descriptions :p

Ok, I've added descriptions for each member of the team. The reason I run life orb on most of the attackers is that they need to do alot of damage to make up for the lack of offense created by the large deffensive core. I do see how an expert belt could really work though.

As for icebeam, my reasons for it are now stated above.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The thing is, Gliscor wouldn't be staying in on Slowbro anyway, so your Ice Beam is pretty unneeded. Scald already deals a good chunk of damage, and has the potential to burn whatever comes in. Flamethrower or Fire Blast is a good option, as Brizznetz states. Furthermore, Toxic is counter productive with Scald, as what if you want to poison something but it gets burned? Psychic is a good replacement over this, as we shall see below. Also, Heatran has Toxic.

Next, you Zapdos is almost a weaker Thunderus, Roost and Extrasensory (~_~) being the only differences. If you want to play an offensive flying/electric type, Thunderus is much better: better speed and access to Nasty Plot. Because Slowbro can carry Psychic instead of Toxic, you won't really be missing anything. A simple LO | 252/252 offensive Timid | Nasty Plot | Thunderbolt | HP Ice | Focus Blast | will dish out all the damage you need to.

Well. a specially ev spread just doesnt fit on a calm minder like that. I generally use an amazing regenerator core of amoongus and slowbro. Amoongus is more specially bulky then verizion, can clear smog stat boosts away and has the added bonus of spore. To complement spore better I would switch your scizor ot bulky SD one, this also takes better advantage of your resistance themed team

I find that porygon2 with eviolite and max Evs in hp and spdef is the best special wall that I have ever used. It takes like 3 focus blasts from gengar to kill it. And it would have good synergy with slowbro

Hey there.

On Heatran, run Roar and Protect over Toxic and Dragon Pulse. Toxic Heatran really isn't that good, and Roar can let you phaze dangerous threats away, and rack up Stealth Rock damage. You already have Lava Plume for burn regardless. Protect is very useful for scouting moves from the likes of Choice Band Scizor and Choice Band Dragonite. Dragon Pulse isn't necessary considering half your team has ice moves, and Hydreigon has dragon moves anyway.

On Hydreigon, run a Modest Nature over Timid. You don't really outspeed anything notable with Timid, as pretty much all Haxorous are Adamant. Modest would give you some more power.

Also, I agree with V0x on Thundurus > Zapdos. Thundurus can sweep teams much more easily, especially with a Lum Berry (which I would run over Life Orb).

And also as V0x stated, run Psychic over Ice Beam on Slowbro. That will make it much easier to defeat fighting types such as Conkelldurr, making not having Zapdos much less of a problem. Run Thunder Wave > Toxic on Slowbro, as it will really help you out against pokemon such as Dragonite and Haxorous. It is also very useful in paralyzing common switch ins such as Latios and making hindering them greatly.

On Virizion, run max speed with a Timid nature instead of max special defense with Calm. Virizion can still take hits pretty well with it's amazing base special defense, and can still be a very good switch in to the likes of Rotom-W. Timid with max speed will allow it to outspeed pokemon such as Salamence and Dragonite, and destroy them with Hidden Power Ice before they can attack you.

Finally, one minor note, Hydreigon should have 4 HP evs instead of 8, as 8 would mean you would have 512 evs.

@vox
Maybe I just suck, and so do my opponents, but people seem reluctant to let go of the swords dance their gliscor got on the switch, and go for a very sad looking earthquake. Toxic is there for the walls that boost their deffenses to kingdom come, a common strategy now. Putting burn on something that can heal itself doesn't do much for a stall. Still, there are times when burn seems like a good idea, so I keep it around. Overall, toxic has served me better. I'll try changing ice beam tho, and converting zapdos to thundurus (even tho he's not half as cool).

@cloud8
Amoongus' SpD is a little underwhelming. Can it really take hits like that? Anyone else got thoughts on Amoongus+Slowbro+Hetran?

@Megados
I won't know untill I try it, lol. My only concern is that it doesn't really resist slowbro's weaknesses, save ghost.

edit: Thundurus is marvelous.

AB2

is an absolute ape
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hey chaoswalker, this is a very nice team you have here. I really think that you could focus more on getting Virizion to sweep much easier. In order for it to take down weakened teams you have to focus on winning against bulky steels such as Jirachi and Scizor. Virizion would also appreciate bulky psychic types such as the lati twins and Reuniclus being covered as they both can cause massive problems for it. You have the lati twins and other specially based threats covered with Scizor's help already which really helps Virizion out. I think that a Gengar would work very well in the place over Zapdos. A substitute / disable set can lure in and weaken Scizor and Jirachi switch ins that come in to Virizion. With a bit of damage on both of those, Virizion will easily ko the opposing team with its +1 boosted attacks. Gengar can also make an extremely solid check to the likes of Lucario and is also able to stop Ferrothorn from breaking its substitutes by disabling it. A set with substitute / shadow ball / focus blast / disable, timid, leftovers, and maximum special attack and speed is what you should run.

With that out of the way, more powerful variants of Excadrill could really hurt this team quite badly. The adamant life orb version easily ko's this entire team after just one boost, especially since none of Slowbro's attacks hurt it too hard. Hydregion works on this team quite well in breaking down more defensive teams with its poweful attacks, so that is why I'm going to recommend that you try out a different stall breaker that can help you patch up that Excadrill problem. I can see a Gliscor working quite well on this team as it is a pretty quick fix against the likes of Excadrill and other bulky fighting types. Hydregion is probably the weakest link of this team so Gliscor could easily be replaced for it. A set with swords dance / taunt / earthquake / ice fang, impish, and 252 HP | 176 Def | 80 Spe would work well.

As for some quick changes, I would try running a set of stealth rock / flamethrower / toxic / roar on Heatran with an ev spread of 248 HP / 252 SpDef / 8 Spe. This helps Heatran take on chesto rest Volcarona much more easily as well as taking less damage from the hazards as you're not running maximum hp. Scizor's ev spread needs to be bulked up a bit as currently it is your best initial switch in to the lati twins and other specially based threats. A spread of 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 SpDef would work perfectly in being able to easily switch in to these threats. Virizion also needs to have an all out attacking ev spread. If it is going to be sweeping teams later in the match, you should be running maximum speed and special attack with a timid nature as opposed to calm. Finally, I'd recommend running a moveset of scald / fire blast / psychic / slack off on Slowbro. This will help you take on other fighting types such as Infernape and Terrakion much more easily.

After those changes, this team is looking very solid. Good Luck.

I tried out the new slowbro you were all sugesting. Gotta say, it works pretty nicely. So far my favorite changes to the team have been those mentioned by AB2. I see what you mean about the Latis. Scizor is the only thing on my team the Latios doesn't seem to have a feild day obliterating.

I've been using the "Slowbro, Virizion, Heatran, Scizor, Gengar, Gliscor" team, and it's great.
I wonder though, might excavalier be a better suit for scizor's spot on this team?

I've been using the "Slowbro, Virizion, Heatran, Scizor, Gengar, Gliscor" team, and it's great.
I wonder though, might excavalier be a better suit for scizor's spot on this team?
No, excavalier doesnt have u turn or superpower, and has an underwhelming move pool overall. It also doesnt have bullet punch, which is what makes scizor so good.

No, excavalier doesnt have u turn or superpower, and has an underwhelming move pool overall. It also doesnt have bullet punch, which is what makes scizor so good.
I believe escavelier also doesnt have technician.
So basically escavelier is a scizor without all scizors upsides .
Leaving it with just OK defences and hp , next to that a poor movepool and a painfull weakness to 4x fire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)