Cofagrigus

Ok guys. I'm new to here. any chance that Slaking and Regigigas can be useful with Desukan around? hopefully for double battle

Ok guys. I'm new to here. any chance that Slaking and Regigigas can be useful with Desukan around? hopefully for double battle
Not Regigigas, but as I explained, Slaking could potentially be useful with Pursuit. However, with the increased power of this generation, I'm starting to question whether or not it would be worth it...

Of course, if Desukan doesn't make it to OU, then the duo could be used in UU, where competition won't be as steep. It's too early to say how the tiers will turn out, though.

Mummy is only effective in very specific circumstances. Quite frankly, as far as singles go i think mummy is being overhyped and the fact that you can just switch out to get rid of it makes it even more pathetic. 3 turn rest means that Rest is pretty much a gamble. I'm sure there are of plenty of things that can 3HKO Desukan, even without their abilities.
I was explaining why Desukan is not outclassed by Dusclops. Overhyped or not is your opinion but you can't deny that Mummy is 1) a major tool then differentiates the two and 2) a great boon if you find the chance to use it. You can always switch out, yeah, but forcing a physical attacker out underlines that fact that it can't get past you.

Adamant Sand Strength LO Doryuuzu Earthquake vs Dusclops: 50.7% - 60.2%
Adamant LO Doryuuzu Earthquake vs Desukan: 41.6% - 49.1%

You're right, it 3HKOs Desukan. But it 2HKOs Dusclops since you lose HP without Leftovers in the sand.

It isn't purely specific circumstances that allows Mummy to work its magic. Overconfidence DDGyara/DDMence/Heracross, Encourage Hihidaruma, Reckless Emboar, Technician SD Scizor, Regeneration Kojondo... there are enough Pokemon that Desukan can switch in on and losing their ability does limit the extent of their strength. It might not always always make that much of a difference. But against these rampaging sweepers, it's going to do more than Pressure -.- and if something has Faint Hearted or Stall or whatever just don't match Desukan against it..?

Its base 95 SpA which is a big jump from Dusknoir's base 70 Atk also means it isn't a sitting duck/Taunt bait. Its offensive options and set-up moves are enough to distinguish the two as well.

And IDK what you're trying to say about 3 turns of Rest. Desukan actually learns Sleep Talk which allows it to pull off Rest + Sleep Talk which is a definite plus point and something many other defensive Pokemon lose out in terms of. Dusclops is the one with no Sleep Talk.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I was explaining why Desukan is not outclassed by Dusclops. Overhyped or not is your opinion but you can't deny that Mummy is 1) a major tool then differentiates the two and 2) a great boon if you find the chance to use it. You can always switch out, yeah, but forcing a physical attacker out underlines that fact that it can't get past you.

Adamant Sand Strength LO Doryuuzu Earthquake vs Dusclops: 50.7% - 60.2%
Adamant LO Doryuuzu Earthquake vs Desukan: 41.6% - 49.1%

You're right, it 3HKOs Desukan. But it 2HKOs Dusclops since you lose HP without Leftovers in the sand.

It isn't purely specific circumstances that allows Mummy to work its magic. Overconfidence DDGyara/DDMence/Heracross, Encourage Hihidaruma, Reckless Emboar, Technician SD Scizor, Regeneration Kojondo... there are enough Pokemon that Desukan can switch in on and losing their ability does limit the extent of their strength. It might not always always make that much of a difference. But against these rampaging sweepers, it's going to do more than Pressure -.- and if something has Faint Hearted or Stall or whatever just don't match Desukan against it..?

Its base 95 SpA which is a big jump from Dusknoir's base 70 Atk also means it isn't a sitting duck/Taunt bait. Its offensive options and set-up moves are enough to distinguish the two as well.

And IDK what you're trying to say about 3 turns of Rest. Desukan actually learns Sleep Talk which allows it to pull off Rest + Sleep Talk which is a definite plus point and something many other defensive Pokemon lose out in terms of. Dusclops is the one with no Sleep Talk.
Actually, Dusclops does get Sleep Talk.

IMO Desukan had always seemed like a Gimmick Dusknoir to me. It also has a harder time getting over Starmie, while it gets over Forretress better than Noir. From mummy to nasty plot, Desukan just screams gimmick. However, gimmicks like these that work off a lackluster OU have a chance to shine using their unique tools.

Desukan seems like a really interesting Pokemon. I would be interested in trying it out. However, it really hurts that it doesn't get ANY form of recovery. Going along with that, Desukan has a poor movepool. I don't see it doing very well in OU.

But, Pre-evo Ston Dusclops looks promising. The only thing Dusclops lacks is decent attacking stats.

Why hasn't anyone suggested using Power Share on a Desukan? I find it a great move, combined with his low attack, high defense, and a great way to Counter Slaking/Regigigas who attempt to get a boost out of the Mummy ability.

Edit at vvv:It was mentioned very briefly (I read that post before it wrote mine, but after I thought of it.)

It only mentioned then as a suggestion, rather than a serious suggestion. Which is what I think it should be considered as.

One of his more interesting moves is Power Share (M471):

Psychic Other Power: --- / Accuracy: ---
Averages the user's and the target's attack and special attack.

I doubt the effect is permanent, but it's still a way to temporarily neuter the opponent's offense. With 0 EVs/0 IVs and a hindering nature, his special attack could be pretty low, and his attack extremely low. Will-O-Wisp is probably better in most cases though.
Actually RBG it was mentioned and I think, other than accuracy issues, WoW is better.

How does mummy work on Natural Cure and etc? When they switch, they lose mummy but do they keep the status as they aren't switching while having natural cure?

I'm thinking that something like this could make a good wall set:

Desukan @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD
Nature: Bold
-Will-o-Wisp
-Haze
-Shadow Ball / Night Shade
-Toxic / HP Fighting / filler

With WoW, Haze, and Mummy, pretty much nothing should be able to set up a sweep as long as this thing is alive outside of heavy hitting special or specially mixed hitters (A more mix'd defensive spread could be used to allow Desukan to take special hits a bit better, but I'm thinking that this ghost would work best paired with Blissey to take special hits better anyways ). I'm not sure if Shadow Ball would hit hard enough with no investment, so Night Shade could be used as your main damaging attack. I'm thinking that Toxic would work best in the last slot, though HP Fighting or something else could be used there too, I suppose. Haze's main use would be against weaker special hitters and, more importantly, physically based fire sweepers like Speed Boost Blaziken (assuming that it's trying to set up with Swords Dance as well, which I'm not so sure it would, but still. )

At least, this is a set that I'll probably end up using, the thing looks quite fun :) Paired with a specially bulky Wish passer no less.

I'm thinking that this ghost would work best paired with Blissey to take special hits better anyways
With the proper SpD EV investment you could run him with Cursed Body Burungeru. With the Evolution Stone you may pair him with a defensive Porygon2 as well, to take obvious Shadow Balls coming at him just like Blissey would. BTW your set was good, but a few more EVs in SpD wouldn't hurt Desukan. I can't believe you forgot to mention Evil Eye, it doubles BP to 100 if your opponent is statused which means this guy can actually do some damage! I can't believe people think he's overhyped go watch some Youtube battles you will see you can't compare him to Dusknoir. This guy makes Dusknoir look BL or even OU o_0

With the proper SpD EV investment you could run him with Cursed Body Burungeru. With the Evolution Stone you may pair him with a defensive Porygon2 as well, to take obvious Shadow Balls coming at him just like Blissey would. BTW your set was good, but a few more EVs in SpD wouldn't hurt Desukan. I can't believe you forgot to mention Evil Eye, it doubles BP to 100 if your opponent is statused which means this guy can actually do some damage! I can't believe people think he's overhyped go watch some Youtube battles you will see you can't compare him to Dusknoir. This guy makes Dusknoir look BL or even OU o_0
Wall Desukan's EV spread could probably be tailored to what you need him to wall or to what pokémon you want to pair him with (I don't know what cursed body does and I can't think of who Burungeru is so I'll probably look into him later as a potential partner ). As for Evil Eye, even with two status moves, I think it's a bit to unreliable to use on a wall set. I'm actually thinking that Night Shade might be the best choice to use as Desukan's attacking move as it'll deal reliable damage to bulky steels and Dark's assuming that you don't run HP fighting (even with HP fighting, I'm not so sure that you can really do much against something like Curse Umbreon or, hell, Registeel ).

As for rather or not Desukan is over hyped, there's actually some merit to those that believe that he is. I mean, I still believe that Mummy's a great ability and that Desukan will be a fantastic physical wall, but lacking a heal move outside of rest really hurts it and there are many physical sweepers that either won't care about mummy (Gyarados with intimidate, Tyranitar, etc. ) or can simply play around it (Banded Scizor, anything with U-turn and a Band/Scarf ) However, between Mummy and Haze, I don't think Desukan will be outclassed as a physical wall any time soon :)

I'd just like to point out that Scarftar w/Pursuit can't do diddly squat to Desukan. With 252 in HP and 0 in Defense, if Desukan stays in to use WoW, he takes about 33% - 40% from Pursuit.

And a burned T-Tar = Dead Weight.

Desukan IS the Physical Wall of the Generation. With 58 HP and 145 Defense and Mummy, he becomes one of the best ways to stop things like DD Gyara, DD Ononokusu, and Dorryuzu.
Well, he won't be hindering DD Ononokusu, since Mold Breaker bypasses Mummy, IIRC. And Intimidate has very little effect on Desukan. Power Share is probably his best bet, letting you switch in, take a hit and power share, then laugh is the opponent can't finish you off whilst you OHKO him.

Well, he won't be hindering DD Ononokusu, since Mold Breaker bypasses Mummy, IIRC. And Intimidate has very little effect on Desukan. Power Share is probably his best bet, letting you switch in, take a hit and power share, then laugh is the opponent can't finish you off whilst you OHKO him.
I'd go with WoW over Power Share, as it's a permanent cut.

What would you guys suggest as far as Nature and EV spread for a Trick Room set? Shadow Ball/Trick Room/HP Fighting/Nasty Plot seems like the best moveset option, I'm just wondering how offensive or defensive I should go with it.

I'm just gonna say this now. I was scrolling through the list of poke's and then came across this and fell in love xD I dunno why I like it so much but I certainly hope it gets good usage.

Still, with these stats it feels like this thing was meant to calm mind. No reliable recovery outside rest hurts it but that's probably what I will run

I'm new here but Desukan has become one of my new favorites. I am an all out offensive battler so here is and offensive set I came up with hope you like it.

Desukan @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 6 Def
Nature: Modest
-Shadow Ball(STAB)
-Psychic(Sadly Filler)
-Grass Knot(Hurts a lot)
-HP Fighting(to hurt normals)

I'm new here but Desukan has become one of my new favorites. I am an all out offensive battler so here is and offensive set I came up with hope you like it.

Desukan @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 6 Def
Nature: Modest
-Shadow Ball(STAB)
-Psychic(Sadly Filler)
-Grass Knot(Hurts a lot)
-HP Fighting(to hurt normals)
That set really isn't very intuitive to Desukan's Stat spread, and Psychic/Grass Knot seem rather unnecessary. If you want to use an offensive Desukan, I'd suggest a Nasty Plot set with Trick Room or a Chesto Rest or Substitute Calm Minder.

Desukan @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Sp.Atk
Modest
Nasty Plot
Shadow Ball/Evil Eye
HP Fighting
Trick Room
or
Desukan @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry
252 HP / 252 Def
Calm Mind
Shadow Ball/Evil Eye
HP Fighting
Substitute/Rest

I think his best use will be a full stop physical wall though with Evil Eye/Will-O-Wisp/HP Fighting/Haze or something. Unfortunately it seems like Burunkeru is already becoming the preferred defensive ghost/spin blocker now with rotom gone. :( I wonder how Desukan would have faired as a Ghost/Rock with Levitate, like many were expecting. It would have helped alot against Blaziken/Heatran/Togekiss and such. Still, very cool Pokemon and pretty decent in battle from what I've seen.

I've been testing my Desukan set on PO and it's fairly decent. I'm thinking that it could use some special defense though so that it doesn't fold to special hits as easily. Haze is definitely useful on him as it lets him stall foes out like there's no tomorrow, putting opposing 'mons in a "Damned if I do, damned if I don't" situation. Night Shade definitely works well on him, allowing him to break subs and not be total set up bait for certain 'mons. Lack of recovery, naturally, hurts, even with wish support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)