Club Penguin

Considering the fact there is lots of veterans on Smogon, I wonder if any of them played Club Penguin. What was some of your memories on Club Penguin?
I saw Club Penguin die, and I was playing Club Penguin before you were born. At a time I thought it would outlive me, but it was a wakeup call that nothing lasts forever and everything has a cost to exist.

I dropped out of it around before Disney was revamping the whole modern artstyle and pushing more Disney movie events, but I remember it was pretty big in school at the time as one of the first online game sites around that actually tried to be a multiplayer accessible kid-friendly world, so really it was one of my biggest gateways into the Internet which wasn't a bad pick. It was novel just to be able to talk to other real people on the Internet, waddling around and meeting new friends and playing minigames and having a live sense of real time progression and an overarching plot with the parties, weekly newspapers, missions, and new rooms, much like the Johto games. I never asked to buy the membership though and just made do with free items, which is a lesson that has stuck with me in this age of microtransactions. A notable part of the community to me looking back is how many blogs and guides people were just putting up and making themselves on Wordpress and even forming early YouTube and Twitter presences with as much relative fame as you could get. It was a humbler time compared to the social media of today and I feel like it was an interesting transition period.

Lastly I have to say that Disney buying it was a very big deal (in how I heard of it), and a more obscure fact is that Sony made a bid for it at the time.
https://techcrunch.com/2007/05/16/club-penguin-may-be-acquired-by-sony-for-500-million/

I think ultimately Disney was probably the best choice to handle it in the immediate years after, but they eventually fumbled it all with the failure of Island though it was inevitable with Flash's demise. Apparently Matthew Mercer, Cassandra Lee Morris, Cindy Robinson, Keith Silverstein, Todd Haberkorn, and Kyle McCarley were in it in case you were wondering.

Zoyotte

Un combat est lancé par CHAMPION MARC!
is a Contributor to Smogon
I remember a few years ago searching for promo codes to have free items and searching how to have a rainbow puffle without paying i was pretty young so idt i still have a lot of memories of this game tho i loved the game and i still replay now sometimes in the newcp

I remember a few years ago searching for promo codes to have free items and searching how to have a rainbow puffle without paying i was pretty young so idt i still have a lot of memories of this game tho i loved the game and i still replay now sometimes in the newcp
Hopefully Disney doesn't ban the site

A ton of Club Penguin/Disney internal documents were leaked on 4chan the other day, similarly to the Pokemon gigaleaks of years past except not the source code. There's a lot of interesting stuff about character personalities and such and I just found out about it.

1717720603334.png

1717720613085.png

1717720616282.png

Notably Pokemongod is an example of an "Allow" naming theme example when it comes to beliefs.
1717720546455.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)