Move 4: Earthquake / Superpower
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Jolly
Evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Stone Edge is Tyranitar's strongest STAB attack. This move's bonus crit chance and high base power enables Tyranitar to punch respectably hard despite being a Choice Scarf user. Because of that it is usually much more desireable than Rock Slide in this slot.
  • Crunch is the secondary STAB move. Its 80 base power hits decently hard and the move is unable to miss, unlike Stone Edge.
  • Pursuit trapping is one of the best benefits Tyranitar brings to the table as it is able to land its damage on specific targets, something that is appreciated by balanced and stall builds, teams Choice Scarf Tyranitar should be used on.
  • Earthquake nails the popular Heatran as well as other Steel-Types such as Magearna and Magnezone. Superpower also aims to hit Steel-Types and has the benefit of inflicting good damage on Ferrothorn and Kartana as well as OHKOing opposing Tyranitars. As neither of these moves are required for Choice Scarf Tyranitar to function you can run a wide range of utility and lure moves in this slot. Fire Punch is another way to hit Steel-Types and can OHKO Kartana while doing good damage to Mega-Scizor and Ferrothorn. Ice Punch can hit Landorus-Therian, Gliscor and Zygarde for quadruple effective damage but fails to OHKO either. This can be fixed by running Ice Beam or even Blizzard in tandem with a Naive or Hasty nature. Finally, Stealth Rock can be used in this slot if you absolutely could not find another way to fit it on your team.

Set Details
========
  • 252 Atk EVs are utilized to hits as hard as possible.
  • 252 Spe EVs are used to be as fast as possible.
  • The remaining 4 EVs can be put in either Def or SpD, just don't put them in HP as you will take one more damage from entry hazards.
  • A Jolly Nature allows you to be faster than many important threats such as Mega-Latios while holding a Choice Scarf.
  • Choice Scarf is used to outspeed up to base 115 Pokemon including Mega-Pinsir, Mega-Charizard-Y, and Mega-Latios.

Usage Tips
========
  • Choice Scarf Tyranitar should be used on balanced or stall teams who recognize that they arent able to deal with everything defensively at all times and wish to deal with certain very problematic Pokemon offensively by using Pursuit/the possibility of Pursuit. Examples of Pokemon such as those include Tapu Lele, Hoopa-Unbound, and Mega-Charizard-Y.
  • Pivot Tyranitar into attacks it can take like Heatran's Magma Storm, Mega-Latios' Psychic, Tapu Lele's Psychic, Charizard-Y's Flamethrower or Hoopa-Unbound's Hyperspace Fury and proceed the game state by threatening them out with your STABs / coverage while clicking Pursuit. Alternatively, click your STABs / coverage if you expect them to stay in.
  • Try to get up Stealth Rock and Spikes as soon as possible so that you are able to chip at threats even if they switch out and you did not click Pursuit. Sand will assist you with this.

Team Options
========
  • Landorus-Therian or Gliscor are great partners for Tyranitar. While both of them share a water weakness with Tyranitar, they are able to cover its ground, fighting, and bug weaknesses. Offensive Gliscor and Landorus-Therian sets also appreciate Tyranitar's ability to trap Mega Latios as well as greatly annoy Mew.
  • Clefable also covers Tyranitar's fighting weakness as well as it's bug weakness (mainly U-turns in this case as Mega-Scizor and Volcarona beat most Clefable sets but Clefable is excellent for switching into U-turn since it does not take entry hazard or sand damage). Clefable is able to pivot into Mega-Medicham as well as Hawlucha and can also reliably set up Stealth Rock very early into the match. It is also able to pass enormous wishes to Tyranitar and keep it healthy for the threats it needs to keep in check.
  • Mew is similar to Clefable against Fighting-types and is also great at handling Ground-Types due to Ice Beam. It is able to reliably set up Stealth Rock as well.
  • Tapu Bulu can not only take on Fighting-, Ground- and Water-types for Tyranitar but also remove its weakness to Earthquake while in Grassy Terrain as well as give it some sort of recovery.
  • Toxapex is another pokemon that pairs well with Tyranitar as it is able to take on Fighting-, Water-, Bug- and Fairy-types such as Keldeo, Ash-Greninja, Mega-Scizor and Clefable while Tyranitar can deal with Psychic-types and Zapdos for Toxapex.
  • Ferrothorn covers Tyranitar's water and fairy weaknesses while Tyranitar deals with Fire-types. It is also able to set up Spikes which help Tyranitar chip at the threats it is supposed to deal with. Other Spikes setter such as Greninja or Skarmory are also decent options for teammates.

Last edited:
Hey I'm more focused on wcop tiebreak rn, mind if I do this right after tiebreak?

Leo edit: ok

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Leo
I know this still has to get started on, but I'd definitely mention Fire Punch somewhere in moves for its ability to OHKO non-scarf Kartana and inflict heavy damage on Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor.

e: typo

Last edited:
Hi, few suggestions.

[SET]
Name: Choice Scarf
Move 1: Stone Edge
Move 2: Crunch
Move 3: Pursuit
Move 4: Earthquake/Superpower
Evs: 252Atk / 252Spe / 4Spd
Make sure to properly format this.

Name: Choice Scarf
Move 1: Stone Edge
Move 2: Crunch
Move 3: Pursuit
Move 4: Earthquake / Superpower
Evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

• Stone Edge is Tyranitar's strongest STAB attack. This move's bonus crit chance and high base power enables Tyranitar to punch respectably hard despite being a Choice Scarf user. Because of that it is usually much more desireable than Rock Slide in this slot.
I'd also mention a few important targets, such as Mega Pinsir and similar Pokemon, these are especially important as thanks to Tyranitar's Choice Scarf it can actually act as a decent stop to these Pokemon.

• Pursuit trapping is one of the best benefits Tyranitar brings to the table as it is able to land its damage on specific targets, something that is appreciated by balanced and stall builds, teams Choice Scarf Tyranitar should be used on.
Be more specific, what does it do better than Crunch? Mention trapping Mega Lati@s and choice-locked Tapu Lele.

This can be fixed by running Ice Beam or even Blizzard in tandem with a Naive or Hasty nature. Finally, Stealth Rock can be used in this slot if you absolutely could not find another way to fit it on your team.
Mention how Blizzard actually has a shot at OHKOing these Pokemon, whereas Ice Beam always 2HKOs these Pokemon. Also, idk about mentioning Stealth Rock at all as the teams Choice Scarf Tyranitar finds itself on can very easily fit other Stealth Rock setters.

• 252 Atk EVs are utilized to hits as hard as possible.
  • 252 Spe EVs are used to be as fast as possible.
  • A Jolly Nature allows you to be faster than many important threats such as Mega-Latios while holding a Choice Scarf.
You could merge these lines into one line.

• Choice Scarf is used to outspeed up to base 115 Pokemon including Mega-Pinsir, Mega-Charizard-Y, and Mega-Latios.
There aren't any relevant base 115 Speed Pokemon so I'd just keep it at Mega Pinsir, Mega Charizard Y, and Mega Latios.

• Pivot Tyranitar into attacks it can take like Heatran's Magma Storm, Mega-Latios' Psychic, Tapu Lele's Psychic, Charizard-Y's Flamethrower or Hoopa-Unbound's Hyperspace Fury and proceed the game state by threatening them out with your STABs / coverage while clicking Pursuit. Alternatively, click your STABs / coverage if you expect them to stay in.
It's good to be specific, but you don't have to be this specific imo.

• Landorus-Therian or Gliscor are great partners for Tyranitar. While both of them share a water weakness with Tyranitar, they are able to cover its ground, fighting, and bug weaknesses.
Mention that they like Mega Lati@s weakened.

Offensive Gliscor and Landorus-Therian sets also appreciate Tyranitar's ability to trap Mega Latios as well as greatly annoy Mew.
You just get burnt by Mew after doing ~60 with Crunch or ~30 with Pursuit, meaning you will sufficiently be crippled for the remainder of the match.

Good job, wait for QCs input on this before implementing.

Last edited:
Make sure to properly format this.
Implemented.
Mention that they like Mega Lati@s weakened.

Isnt this ^ the same but also mentioning that Tyranitar can ensure damage on Mega Latios? I dont think any additional information is needed.

There aren't any relevant base 115 Speed Pokemon so I'd just keep it at Mega Pinsir, Mega Charizard Y, and Mega Latios.
Mentioning that it outspeeds up to base 115 Pokemon includes Serperior, Raikou, Starmie, Azelf and Thundurus and while most of these are semi-relevant at best it comes at the cost of adding 4 extra words which is why I specified this.
You just get burnt by Mew after doing ~60 with Crunch or ~30 with Pursuit
This is why I said that you are able to greatly annoy Mew rather than trap Mew. Mew will be forced to Roost extremely often against Choice Scarf Tyranitar and might miss an oppertunity to Defog or go for an aggresive move like Ice Beam/Wisp since if it gets forced out at non full health it risks getting trapped by Tyranitar later on.

As for your other suggestions I'm not really familiar with doing analysis and dont know how in-depth I am supposed to go on certain stuff so lets just wait and see what QC thinks like u said :)

Mentioning that it outspeeds up to base 115 Pokemon includes Serperior, Raikou, Starmie, Azelf and Thundurus and while most of these are semi-relevant at best it comes at the cost of adding 4 extra words which is why I specified this.
You can keep the point, but keep it to Serperior and Thundurus as they're the only one that are ever seen of these.

• Mew is similar to Clefable against Fighting-types and is also great at handling Ground-Types due to Ice Beam. It is able to reliably set up Stealth Rock as well.
I feel that you should mention that Tyranitar can greatly annoy, or even lure Heatran, and discourage Ash-Greninja from spamming Dark Pulse.

Basically if you do everything else (everything you didn't rightfully argue against) from post #7, consider this 1/3.

Last edited:
You can keep the point, but keep it to Serperior and Thundurus as they're the only one that are ever seen of these.
Thats what I was going to do at first especially since these two are supergood against balance but why say 'up to base 113' instead of 'up to base 115' which is more true, a bigger speed tier and includes some mons that are at the edge of viability like Azelf and Starmie :blobshrug:

I feel that you should mention that Tyranitar can greatly annoy, or even lure Heatran, and discourage Ash-Greninja from spamming Dark Pulse.

Basically if you do everything else (everything you didn't rightfully argue against) from post #7, consider this 1/3.
You're right I didnt explicitly say that it helps out a lot against multiple Tran sets I'm gonna add that somewhere for sure, probably in usage tips alongside other problematic Pokemon balance deals with via Scarftar? As for your other point Ttar isnt run to stop Ash-Gren from spamming Dark Pulse at all and its a pretty random thing to mention imo especially since you need and have competent checks to that Pokemon on Scarftar teams.

Thanks for the check im gonna be implementing all the changes soon™ :blobthumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)