ORAS OU Chess-- A Full Trick Room RMT

The Exquisite Game of Chess

The Board -- A Preview

The Opening -- How the Team Was Made

The team started as is, with two minor changes: Diancie was in Bronzong's spot, and Slowbro was in Jellicent's. However, this offered me a couple of huge problems: Diancie has a ton of easy to exploit weaknesses, especially to opening pokemon, who are running a steel move more and more, and secondly and more importantly, it provided me a huge weakness to priority. I replaced Slowbro with Jellicent, who counters Scizor well and covers a lot of priority that Slowbro couldn't. Bronzong replaced Diancie, as I needed to keep a plethora of resistances without quite so many weaknesses.

The Mid-Game -- Team Showcase
The Pawn

Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
252 HP/188 Atk/68 SpD
Brave
Stealth Rocks
Gyro Ball
Earthquake
Trick Room

Bronzong, the Pawn. As expected, the pawn is one of two Pokemon that always see the lead position (the other being the Knight). Bronzong's main job is set rocks, have many resists, and act as a cover for the annoying (and almost exclusively fast) flying types that plague this team. Gyro Ball does a good job at hitting these threats, even when resisted. 188 Atk EVs are what are required to OHKO the standard Heatran, so that's what has been invested, with the rest going to the Special Defense side.

The Bishop
@Eviolite
Ability: Download
248 HP/252 SpA/8 SpD
Quiet

Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Trick Room

Porygon2, the Bishop. Covering the diagonals of the team, Porygon2 really hit me as bishop-- only helpful on one color. Despite having a respectable Special Attack Stat and Download to bolster it, Porygon2 really has to rely on coverage. BoltBeam serves that purpose well, with Psychic seemingly an odd choice. The majority of Pokemon that stay in and immediately threaten Porygon2 are fighting types, which Psychic, unexpectedly, destroys. EVs are a standard spread, optimizing power.

The Knight
Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Relaxed

Taunt
Scald
Trick Room
Recover
Jellicent, the Knight. The second of two leads, Jellicent's main purpose is to fill holes. Stall breaking is huge for a Trick Room team, and as thus I have decided to carry a dedicated stall breaker. Additionally, Jellicent does a good job against Scizor, who threatens the rest of the team greatly. Maximizing his physical defense further improves him in that manner.

The Rook
@ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
224 HP/252 Atk/32 Def
Brave

Drain Punch
Mach Punch
Knock Off
Facade
Conkeldurr, the Rook. The Rook is the lowest level power piece, and that's how I feel about Conkeldurr. His days of smashing anything and everything (last generation) seem to be done. However, he is still very effective given the right conditions. Drain Punch pairs with Knock Off for a combo with near perfect coverage, and the ability to 2HKO most things in the game with some combination of both. Facade is there as a back up for a very strong neutral hit whenever needed. Mach Punch is ever important to make Conkeldurr useful outside of Trick Room. The EVs minimize toxic damage while maintaining bulk.

The Queen
Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
192 HP/64 Def/252 SpA
Quiet

Sludge Wave
Earth Power
Flame Thrower
Ice Beam

Nidoqueen, the Queen. Not only does it fit the name, it fits her location in my Pokemon Universe. The Nidos are my favorite Pokemon. Nidoqueen, despite having a dismal Special Attack Stat, wrecks very hard in the current meta. With the fall from grace of Pokemon like Blissey and Chansey, Nidoqueen is able to hit the majority of walls with exactly what they don't like to see. Additionally, every attack is boosted by Sheer Force and Life Orb, making them have very formidable base powers. The addition of a poison type helps immensely with the fairies that abuse my other two power houses, and there are very few safe switches into Nidoqueen if Trick Room is up. Lastly, her typing is good against most forms of priority, which helps an awful lot! EVs maximize the physical bulk while keeping Special Attack maxed.

The King
Life Orb
Ability: Magician
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Def
Brave

Hyperspace Fury
Gunk Shot
Drain Punch
Trick Room

Hoopa, the King. The king is the victory condition of every game of chess, and more often than not, Hoopa is my victory condition. There are occasionally games where I'll use Hoopa early to break a stall position or punch a whole in the opponents team, but usually it comes in last as a clean up. I run the above set as it seems to counter the things that give me the most trouble as a whole, though I definitely wish the Hoopa had more moveslots. The best part of Hoopa is that it is so scary it often forces easy to predict switches, that allow such a fragile Pokemon to set up Trick Room. That being said, the EVs maximize the weaker side of the attack spectrum, and I really wish Hyperspace Fury didn't lower defense.

The End Game-- Conclusion

That's all I have for you, thank you for reading! I plan on creating a successful Trick Room team for every tier, and this is the first of such. I am most excited for UU, which I will be doing next. This team is by no means perfect, and I haven't shared the same success as I did last generation with it, but it is definitely fun and functional, peaking above 1650 Elo (dismal, but still a good feeling about it). If anyone has any interest in collaborating on Trick Room teams that think outside the box and are a serious endeavor, feel free to send me a message! I would love to work with you. However, if you're under the impression that Trick Room teams are made in a couple of hours, I am not the person you're looking for. I am very meticulous in my team building. Anyway, once again, thank you for reading!

The Import:
Pawn (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Atk / 68 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake

Bishop (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Trick Room

Knight (Jellicent) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Recover
- Taunt

Rook (Conkeldurr) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Def
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Facade

Queen (Nidoqueen) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave

King (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Trick Room

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
A couple of basic things going one pokemon at a time. Long post, but I tried to offer rather minimal changes so as to not disrupt the oringal idea and flavour behind the team:

I highly recommend running Colburr berry (half dark effectiveness) and Heatproof on Bronzong. This will effectively cover the mons that will try to KO you from turn one, guaranteeing a successful trick room. I've found heatproof to be ideal simply because levitate is the norm. Since bronzong will be leading, you may as well have a ground immunity to the opponent. I also recommend changing Earthquake to Explosion. Explosion is not only strong, but it also adds the invaluable ability to quickly get bronzong off the field, thus saving trick room turns. Mental Herb is another item option to prevent taunts, but I've always found colburr berry to be the better option most of the time. Play around with it, and see what you like.

On porygon, you should change Psychic to Recover. Taking advantage of porygon's bulkiness is a must, and recover offers it definite longevity. It has the luxury of being able to stay in due to its deceptively powerful attacks, making it a much more viable recover user than other suicide-setters.

Jellicent seems to be a poor choice at first glance. Stacking dark weaknesses is scary (knock off hurts porygon as well). I think that Whimsicott may be a suitable option in its place? The stallbreaker role is not as neccesary given that you have hoopa, and jellicent doesnt do a great job at it regardless. whimsicott gets taunt if you desire. trick room + memento/u-turn/encore is a lovely combo as well to safely bring in an offensive mon. You will have to play around with that one to see how you like it. Diancie is another lovely option if you are willing to forego taunt. It also has explosion. Since your team is lacking a mega (and the not-banned megas are somewhat lacking in trick room), mega audino is a very nice choice given its fairy typing and access to healing wish. healing wish is another incredible (almost neccesary) move to have on tr teams.

I feel as if conk is also a weak point in your team for the simple reason that it isn't strong enough to fill the gap that your team needs to fill, particularly one where a setup sweeper would shine. I think that crawdaunt is perhaps the best choice. A swords dance set tears through most teams, even 1hkoing mega venu at +2 iirc. it also offers an even stronger priority than conk which is always appreciated. Nidoqueen, i assume, is non-negotiable given the theme, so filling another spot with a hardcore breaker is important.

On nidoqueen, playing around with one of the moveslots may be helpful depending on what you do with porygon (ie, replacing ice beam with tbolt if you keep ice beam on porygon. sludge wave handles altaria which is the most relevant target of ice beam imo). This will help with the keldeo weakness.

Finally, hoopa really should have 252 hp instead of defense. It is a more efficient spread.

Overall, cool team with a cool theme! make sure you zero out the speed ivs (or adjust them to whatever speed benchmarks you need. the speed tiers thread is great for that!) Good luck :)

A couple of basic things going one pokemon at a time. Long post, but I tried to offer rather minimal changes so as to not disrupt the oringal idea and flavour behind the team:

I highly recommend running Colburr berry (half dark effectiveness) and Heatproof on Bronzong. This will effectively cover the mons that will try to KO you from turn one, guaranteeing a successful trick room. I've found heatproof to be ideal simply because levitate is the norm. Since bronzong will be leading, you may as well have a ground immunity to the opponent. I also recommend changing Earthquake to Explosion. Explosion is not only strong, but it also adds the invaluable ability to quickly get bronzong off the field, thus saving trick room turns. Mental Herb is another item option to prevent taunts, but I've always found colburr berry to be the better option most of the time. Play around with it, and see what you like.

On porygon, you should change Psychic to Recover. Taking advantage of porygon's bulkiness is a must, and recover offers it definite longevity. It has the luxury of being able to stay in due to its deceptively powerful attacks, making it a much more viable recover user than other suicide-setters.

Jellicent seems to be a poor choice at first glance. Stacking dark weaknesses is scary (knock off hurts porygon as well). I think that Whimsicott may be a suitable option in its place? The stallbreaker role is not as neccesary given that you have hoopa, and jellicent doesnt do a great job at it regardless. whimsicott gets taunt if you desire. trick room + memento/u-turn/encore is a lovely combo as well to safely bring in an offensive mon. You will have to play around with that one to see how you like it. Diancie is another lovely option if you are willing to forego taunt. It also has explosion. Since your team is lacking a mega (and the not-banned megas are somewhat lacking in trick room), mega audino is a very nice choice given its fairy typing and access to healing wish. healing wish is another incredible (almost neccesary) move to have on tr teams.

I feel as if conk is also a weak point in your team for the simple reason that it isn't strong enough to fill the gap that your team needs to fill, particularly one where a setup sweeper would shine. I think that crawdaunt is perhaps the best choice. A swords dance set tears through most teams, even 1hkoing mega venu at +2 iirc. it also offers an even stronger priority than conk which is always appreciated. Nidoqueen, i assume, is non-negotiable given the theme, so filling another spot with a hardcore breaker is important.

On nidoqueen, playing around with one of the moveslots may be helpful depending on what you do with porygon (ie, replacing ice beam with tbolt if you keep ice beam on porygon. sludge wave handles altaria which is the most relevant target of ice beam imo). This will help with the keldeo weakness.

Finally, hoopa really should have 252 hp instead of defense. It is a more efficient spread.

Overall, cool team with a cool theme! make sure you zero out the speed ivs (or adjust them to whatever speed benchmarks you need. the speed tiers thread is great for that!) Good luck :)

Hey MikeDawg, thanks for the rate! I, as I'm sure you expect, have things I agree with and things I disagree with :D

First off, the Colburr Berry and Heatproof I think is a great idea! Heatproof "gimmick" is exactly the sort of stuff a Trick Room team needs to run, as the whole concept is a little hit and miss itself, and somehow if you throw enough of those small tweaks it becomes more successful. I'm actually a little mad I didn't think of that... Stupid brain.

On Porygon2, I actually had recover for most of the life of this team and never ever used it. It might be play style choice, really, but for some reason I just didn't ever find time. I was always either threatening something or switching out. Also, in today's meta game, it seems kind of rare that something doesn't either Toxic poison P2, making recover not that sustainable, or do over 50%, on account of most things are neutral. I dunno, I just never found it useful.

As for Jellicent, her main purpose is for Scizor. With Whimsicott, what's to stop Scizor from SDing up and sweeping the entire team? I had Whimsicott briefly, and Diancie for a large portion. I really love Diancie, but she simply had too many weaknesses for me. Everyone and their mother carries something that hits her hard, and even though she can dish it out after using TR, she seemed to be lacking in utility. I may try Whimsicott again, but it just didn't work for Scizor. That being said, I do plan on making another OU team after the I find UU success, so these are things I may try then.

As for Conk, I hadn't seemed to find a replacement that worked as well. It needs to be something with priority that has bulk outside Trick Room. I admittedly didn't try Crawdaunt, but just assumed he didn't have the bulk I needed. I, again, might go back and try something like that on the second time around.

Nidoqueen isn't necessarily non-negotiable. I made the theme around the team, not the team around the theme :D I could well play around with her moveset a lot, her movepool is astounding!

For Hoopa, does the 252 HP allow her to survive the priority that flies around? She actually does quite a good job on surviving priority with the 252 def EVs. I didn't test 252 HP, as everyone was talking about how fragile she is to the physical side flying around and I was happy with 252 Def.

Again, thank you so much and most of these things are things I will definitely look into during my second go around. However, for now I need to get out of OU for a bit. This team has been exhausting and cyclical!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)