ORAS OU Charizard Y + Chlorophyll Venusaur!

What would you pick as a Weavile check out of this two?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is my first take on a team revolving around Mega Charizard Y.

Here's the poke, the myth, the legend himself. I went with the standard timid Charizard Y set with Focus Blast over Dragon Pulse (i don't think anyone uses D-Pulse anymore) for Tyranitar switch-in to get up the sand. After Stealth Rocks Focus Blast has a good chance of OHKOing the standard Support T-tar spread (84.3%-100.2%).

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost

As a second pick I needed a reliable way of getting rid of hazards, especially Stealth Rocks, so I went for Starmie. This poke is crucial for the team as it scares off most Rocks setters such as Lando-T, Hippowdown and Heatran to freely Spin. I decided to go for Toxic over Reflect-Type/Psyshock to cripple Slowbros, Serperiors, and Volcanions switch-ins.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic

Now I needed a way of dealing this the Lati twins as they can be pretty annoying if they switch into my Charizard as Fire Blast isn't a 2HKO while Psyshock does about 70% and my Starmie cannot tank a Psyshock + Draco Meteor without Recovering. My initial pick was going to be Tyranitar to trap them in but I also needed an answer to Clefable as I don't want my Zard to get T-waved, so I went for the standard AV Metagross set with Pursuit, which could be replaced with a Choice Band as AV Pursuit doesn't OHKO Latios/Latias but I like the extra bulk to switch into Dracos.

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash

As of right now my team looked pretty weak to Mega Lopunny as well as Scarf/Sand Rush Excadrill and lacked a physical wall in general. I picked Hippowdon over Lando-T as Ice-Punch even after Intimidate 2HKOs it while Hippo eats them up without being 2HKO'd by HJK (Mega Medicham is a problem tho ;-;).

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge

At this state my team looks a bit too defensive and also a little weak to Keldeo (Starmie can't 1v1 Sub Keldeo), so what better pick than offensive Venusaur to not only wall Keldeo but also abuse the sun of my Zard. I'm thinking of replacing HP Fire with HP Ground just because Heatran completely walls this set and its a problem in general as my only counter would be Starmie (Scald is a 3HKO on SpDef Heatran :/).

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

As the last pick I wanted a late-game sweeper just in case I don't get to abuse my Venusaur in the sun and I also wanted a physical hard-hitter so I picked Choice Scarf mixed Kyurem-Black. I'm still thinking of replacing Dragon Claw with Earth Power because again... Heatran is annoying..

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Claw

As far as threats go:

-SpDef Heatran is a problem as if its the Magma Storm-Toxic set it could (potentially) 1v1 my Starmie as well as wall half of my team.

-Mega Medicham as Hippowdown get 2HKO'd by HJK, so you'll have to play pretty aggressively to get in Kyurem-B safely against it and Outrage/Dragon Claw.

-Weavile is a really big threat. I don't really have a good answer to it, Metagross can OHKO it with BP as well as Venusaur with Sludge Bomb after SR and maybe a Life Orb hit.

-Sub Volcanion as my Starmie cannot break the sub.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Claw

Here is 1 problem with your Zard Venu team.

1. Hippowdon really saps any offensive pressure Sun offense can do for you, especially when its too focused on tanking.
2. If you really want Zard Venu, other weather teams like Rain and Sand (particularly Excadrill and Politoed and Swift Swimmers.) Can really disrupt your team, especially with stealth rock in the field.
3. Starmie really just gets hampered as a spinner, especially with Pursuit Weavile and Tar everywhere (which btw screams your entire team over.)
4. Kyurem-Black's coverage is good, but you want these things more:
-Something to pressure Excadrill and Swift Swimmers or at least check them or tank them at least.
-Get something for Weavile, because it just eats your team alive.
5. I would highly reccomend (if you really want to use Zard Y Venu, I would Suggest something Dugtrio (because Heatran is having fun, and trapping Pokemon like Mega Diancie and Heatran, and among others), or something more solid offensively Like Weavile (because it can pump up the offensive pressure for your team even higher, but hazard control is really a priority.)

Here is 1 problem with your Zard Venu team.

1. Hippowdon really saps any offensive pressure Sun offense can do for you, especially when its too focused on tanking.
2. If you really want Zard Venu, other weather teams like Rain and Sand (particularly Excadrill and Politoed and Swift Swimmers.) Can really disrupt your team, especially with stealth rock in the field.
3. Starmie really just gets hampered as a spinner, especially with Pursuit Weavile and Tar everywhere (which btw screams your entire team over.)
4. Kyurem-Black's coverage is good, but you want these things more:
-Something to pressure Excadrill and Swift Swimmers or at least check them or tank them at least.
-Get something for Weavile, because it just eats your team alive.
5. I would highly reccomend (if you really want to use Zard Y Venu, I would Suggest something Dugtrio (because Heatran is having fun, and trapping Pokemon like Mega Diancie and Heatran, and among others), or something more solid offensively Like Weavile (because it can pump up the offensive pressure for your team even higher, but hazard control is really a priority.)

I definitely know there are problems with this team... especially regarding weavile, but to check it the only mons that i can think of are defensive Infernape (my favorite set), a Leftis Keldeo or like a defensive Scizor, all of which I wouldn't know how to fit into this team.
As far as Starmie goes I can't really think of any other spinner that could fit. I dont like Excadrill cause it gets threatened by most Stealth Rocks users, same with Tentacruel so maybe I should go for defensive Scizor with defog to also check Weavile (I'll try it out).
I'm gonna try out Dugtrio as well.

As you have joined today I welcome you to Smogon! Now here is my rate.
Like Dgvhh said hippowdown does take away sun powers when sent in after charizard but if you lead with hippowdon almost always and stay in with hippowdon until you are forced out via roar or other moves or you faint then could be effective.
As well as putting solar beam on venusaur instead of giga drain or even synthesis would improve a sun team but also be careful with starmie being your rapid spinner, I suggest planning out when the sun ends so you can send in starmie to rapid spin, a solution for starmie is a hitmontop he can also solve a weavile problem and is fine in the sun, Here is the common set for hitmontop:

Hitmontop @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Close Combat
- Foresight
- Toxic

That's all I have will probably edit later and add stuff on.
Hope I helped and I hope you can use this team effectively! Message me if you have any questions or just ask on here i'll be watching the thread.

Really cool sun team, here are a couple of things I would change:
->
Starmie is very easy to wear down and is generally not a good fit as a spinner on offense. Specs Keldeo gives you a solid check to weavile and magma tran and gives the team another hard hitter in combination with zard. Keldeo also forces in switch ins such as latios, which it can burn/weaken for the venu sweep. This mon is also very useful during a stall matchup, as it allows the team to actually be able to beat chansey. Even without starmie, venusaur is still a decent check, albeit the chance of burn makes the game complicated.
->
i am finding scarf kyurem to be very underwelming in the current metagame. It doesn't fit very well on the team either, since nothing on the team lures in or weakens its checks in MScizor or Clefable. Scarf Excadrill gives you a rapid spinner while allowing you to run a choice scarfer. While it is not as reliable at spinning as starmie, it gives you an offensive presence unlike starmie, which this team, bring offense, really needs. Also, the team can wear down its checks like lando and rotom with gross/keldeo.

Sets: http://pastebin.com/5HWmzmJ7

Hope my changes helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)