As far as a slate, things I like so far:
No Flavor Ability
Illuminate
Liquid Ooze
Magma Armor
Poison Heal
Suction Cups
Tangled Feet
I think any of these (except for the struck-through one) would be good.

I wanna suggest Flare Boost (1.x5 Special Attack boost when burned) and Toxic Boost (1.5x Attack boost when poisoned). Much like Poison Heal, kinda (well really) redundant.

I think any of these (except for the struck-through one) would be good.

I wanna suggest Flare Boost (1.x5 Special Attack boost when burned) and Toxic Boost (1.5x Attack boost when poisoned). Much like Poison Heal, kinda (well really) redundant.
Flare Boost is very dangerous, especially if your opponent has Trace ... He can simply switch into Krilowatt or another Tracer and hope that your Fire move burns it.

Edit: Poison Heal sounds great in 2on2 since the move Soak would allow to poison CAP3 AND give it the water type. If a poisoned Pokémon gets its Poison type back, its poisoned status remains - even if you switch CAP3 out and in again. However CAPs are designed for 1on1, but you have to consider this ugly weird side effect.

I'm suporting Cute Charm (because it's so obviously fitting), Filter (because I wanted it anyway), Liquid Ooze and Illuminate

I'd like to suggest Overcoat and Soundproof as flavour abilities for CAP3

Both of them are not very competitively viable in comparison to Dry Skin but both look pretty fitting to the design IMO

Overcoat is given to pokemon that are able to hide in a shell or something, which this CAP is quite able to do

Soundproof is given to either Loud, Quiet or Earless pokemon, and CAP 3 has no discernible ears of holes for hearing as far as I can tell.

Just some thoughts

I love Liquid Ooze as something useful against sub-seeders as you could now counter them with little trouble (except stuff like Earth Power Celebi) while also being better under sun

Flame Body, while a bit more competitive and powerful (and generic), should really be considered, the moves this mon fears the most (Stone Edge, Rock Slide, Earthquake, Earth Power, Hydro Pump, Surf, Scald, Psychic, Psyshock) are all non-contact so there's little to do against your counters, altough this still makes it better a switch in for fighting attacks and taking u-turns, it's far from enough to justify it over a water immunity which really gives it a lot more switch in opportunities (and it's not like this mon can really switch in and out easily due to SR), and makes it better under sun (but still easily revenged by chlorophyll sweepers and other common scarfed pokemon)

He seems to look like a pokemon that would have Limber, but since this it off-limits then Illuminate and Tangled Feet both seem appropiate (and so adorable)

breh

強いだね
I like Liquid Ooze and Illuminate especially; Sticky Hold is pretty nice too.

Perhaps Poison Touch is a good idea?

Dusk209

No relation.
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm liking Suction Cups, Tangled Feet and Oblivious the most, they just seem to fit perfectly. Suction Cups, might be a bit too viable, but I still like it. I really don't want CAP3 to have access to Poison Heal or Flare Boost though, as all it would do is confuse people. Not to mention it practically SCREAMS "Haha, fuck you!"

Sap Sipper is out of the question. It would grant immunity to Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, and Leech Seed. That's hardly non-competitive.

breh

強いだね
sap sipper is useful for leech seed only - the other two moves are never seen in OU at all (bar venusaur). it's more or less a version of liquid ooze that doesn't hurt users of giga drain but grants leech seed immunity.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So after thinking it over I'm tending to agree a bit more with cape, which is that we should pick abilities with little or no ability to overlap into CAP 3's niche.

Illuminate does that, Oblivious does that, Liquid Ooze actually doesn't since it can make Ferrothorn's Leech Seed backfire big time, making it a plausible consideration if fighting Rain isn't your first priority. Same kind of with Magma Armor, since you might not want to be frozen by an Ice Beam prediction. Attract and Confusion exist, but not in the kind of way that'd make being effected by them a huge draw over Dry Skin. Poison Heal is obviously never going to be activated in singles, ever, even if we gave CAP3 Reflect Type on the off chance something stupid would Toxic it.

So basically I'm going to stick to abilities that are effectively useless in singles, at least for this particular typing.

On that note I'm throwing Water Veil on here cause Burn Immunity on Fire type trollolololol. That and Run Away cause it's a Snail...

Re-imagined slate:

No Flavor Ability
Illuminate
Poison Heal
Run Away
Tangled Feet
Water Veil

Immunity to Spore, Sleep Powder and Leech Seed is pretty big, even if the Attack boost would be pointless. Sure, making the 4x resistance into an immunity doesn't change that much, but being immune to all accurate forms of sleep (available in OU) seems like it breaks the status immunity rule to me.

Edit: Aww. Not going to lie, I'm pretty disappointed Suction Cups is getting cut. D:

I'd also like to suggest Gluttony as the snail has to eat!

This has no competetive value except for early pinch berries (which don't exist yet anyways!)

Poison Heal
Water Veil
These abilities are obviously a precaution in case you switch into a soak attack.

Illuminate is my favorite personally because it
a) makes a lot of sense
b) has no impact, but not by being an outright troll ability like the above (or Fan rotom)
c) Illuminate is actually kinda cool in ASB :P

edit: wait did you just put Run Away on a snail? :S

Oh and someone above mentioned Overcoat; but that's actually decent, since with the typing Cap3 is already immune to a couple of forms of residual damage, Overcoat would double that count. Whether you say that's enough to be competetive idk...

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Out of all of those, I think Tangled Feet would be the best ability simply because it actually does something. Even if we wind up ultimately only shooting for flavor, I think at the very least we should remove Poison Heal and Water Veil from consideration because they're more trollish then Rotom-S getting Levitate. Hell, I'd settle for Illuminate over Poison Heal/Water Veil.

In the end though I don't think we should penalize this thing for using a ability that makes it more viable under sun, which is why I think we should still go with something that at least remotely does something so that the user of CAP3 doesn't feel like they're being insulted for daring to use CAP3 with sun.

Flare Boost and Poison Heal are out of the question. Though CAP 3 is immune to those statuses, it is because of type, and type can be changed, especially since Soak Necturna exists in the CAP metagame. I mean, why you would try to Toxic or Burn it I have no idea, but just because of Soak, I'd like to rule out those abilities.

My favorite ones are Illuminate and Flame Body. Illuminate fits the concept rather well, and Flame Body does too, with CAP 3 being a Lava Lamp Snail Pokemon. Slow Start would also be nice, but that would be a bit TOO troll, especially to CAP ASB.

I have to say I really like the idea of Poison Heal. I mean we aren't going to get poisoned anyway but I always liked the ability on things like Breloom and Gliscor. Plus our CAP is pretty bulky already.

breh

強いだね
On the topic of useless abilities, Own Tempo could be kind of neat as well. I don't think anybody competent uses Confusion; at best it'll stop Tornadus from confusing you or something, lol.

Plus, Own Tempo makes me think dancing -> disco -> lava lamps. Also, how could you not like a dancing lava lamp?

Heatproof

Bugmaniacbob suggested this first, but I'd like to justify it. In the supporting art, I think I remember Mos mentioning that CAP3's shell acts as an insulator for fire attacks or something. It's not competitively viable because CAP3 already has a fire resistance.

Heatproof would conflict with Dry Skin in terms of flavour and effect. Weirdly enough, this Fire-type isn't fond of others' flames. I still think Damp should be on the slate.

I think Deck Knight's current slate is fine, though the options of Poison Heal, Run Away, and Water Veil all seem too trollish.

Run Away doesn't even make sense on a snail, given that all the Pokemon that get it are relatively fast and timid (unless we're just trying to be funny by considering it, in which case I'm just wasting my breath here).

The other two seem less about giving the CAP flavor and more of just deliberately making its ability useless, which is definitely not the point of a flavor ability. If we want something that we will end up never using anyway, it should at least be something that suits the snail better.

Therefore, the simple choices of No Flavor Ability, Illuminate, and Tangled Feet seem like the best abilities to have on our poll. Almost anything else is either trolling or more competitively viable than we'd like.

Not sure about the does-this-make-Dry-Skin-the-worse-ability-ness, but I wanna suggest Turboblaze. I can imagine sending out CAP3 and reading "CAP3 is radiating a blazing aura!" Of course there are some abilities that Turboblaze negates that would have to be considered. A few that jump to mind are:

Flash Fire
Levitate
Magic Bounce
Sap Sipper
Water-immunity abilities
Electric-immunity abilities
Status-immunity moves

Flash Fire because it's the mostly used ability of Heatran, a Pokemon that seems like a good counter for CAP3. With FF, Heatran is immune to both of CAP3's STABS, and it can hit back with Earth Power. Even with Turboblaze active CAP3 might not take a chance against Heatran, but it's just a consideration . . .

Next is Levitate. I don't know if CAP3's gonna get and ground moves (unless I completely missed movepool discussion or something?) and I'm not sure if Turboblaze is gonna scare off the Levitate users, but I just thought I'd bring it up.

Now for Magic Bounce. Basically means that CAP3 can lay the nasty on Espeon with moves like Toxic and Will-O-Wisp, and whatever other status moves it may get. I could allow CAP3 to burn/poison Espeon on the switch but otherwise I think CAP3 would be running from a predicted Psychic . . .

Then I'll just lump together the rest as "immunity moves". The absence of Sap Sipper could allow CAP3 to Solar Beam something (Azumarill?), but I don't see this being the difference between life and death. Electric immunity abilities could be taken into consideration, but this depends on CAP3 getting any electric moves (aside from HP Electric). Same goes for water-immunity moves, although these are mostly held by water types who could scare off CAP3 with water moves. Plus, the only water move I imagine CAP3 with would be Scald. Could be uses to burn Jellicent, but I think Jellicent hates Toxic the most. Plus, CAP3 will most likely have Will-O-Wisp to burn it.

As for status immunity moves, the two which deal with the status CAP3 will most likely have access to are very thinly spread: Immunity is given to Zangooze and Snorlax, the former which has Toxic Boost and the latter which I can't find an analysis for that uses Immunity. Now the other status-immunity moves: Insomnia (or variants), Limber, and Magma Armour. Let's just rule out Magma Armour right now unless someone sees CAP3 with a freezing move. Turboblaze could allow CAP3 to put to sleep pokemon with a sleep immunity, or paralyze a pokemon with Limber. All depends on what kind of moves CAP3 gets access to, I guess.

Well, that's about all I have to say for now . . .

Heatproof would conflict with Dry Skin in terms of flavour and effect. Weirdly enough, this Fire-type isn't fond of others' flames.
To be honest, I wasn't expecting someone to take this seriously.

As far as flavor, I already mentioned how the shell acts as an insulator. I think that Dry Skin refers to the body of CAP3 (despite the art of him opening up the cap on his lamp to absorb water), while Heatproof refers to how lava lamps have thick glass to resist cracking, or insulation, or something like that.

As far as effect, there are a couple instances of Pokemon having conflicting abilities. Two poor examples that I can think of right now are Spinda's Own Tempo and Tangled Feet (immune vs. benefit) and Zangoose's Immunity and Toxic Boost (also immune vs. benefit). At this point, I like the idea of Heatproof, so I would appreciate discussion by anyone who agrees with me.

tea_and_blues also mentioned Damp, which I support because it goes with Dry Skin (like the Paras evolutionary line) and it's literally useless in OU.

kjt mentioned something interesting about Magic Bounce. Though I vehemently disagree with giving CAP3 something as good as Magic Bounce, it made me think; CAP3 can use both Toxic and Will-O-Wisp without fear of them being reflected as it is immune to both the statuses it can, by nature, inflict. This could be useless as the two Magic Bouncers carry a supereffective STAB or it could be an interesting dual-status inflicting niche.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)