CAP 28 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Dracoxide

Dragon (latin) + Carbon Dioxide

Pronounced Drake + Oxide

How I got this up is for the fact that people breath it out, which CAP 28 can do and release the gas from its claw, also with how it can extinguish fires, which it could do but with all abilities on the field

Why is there so much emphasis on the dragon type in these names? Dragon is definitely the less emphasized of our two typings. I get the mouth related ones, but we really don’t feel like a dragon with bug parts so much as a bug with dragon parts.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
WIP

Drargon

A combination of "Dragon" and "argon", a famously neutral gas.

Pronounced: "DRAR-gone"

Neutralizing Gas is this Pokemon's most notable feature, so much so that it's more important than the typing itself. "Argon" is close in spelling to dragon to begin with, so Drargon is easy to pronounce, natural, and simple.

WIP
Boufferocious

Pronounced Bow-fair-oh-cious
From French boufee de (to puff on a cigarette, translates roughly to drag on), ferocious, and noxious

WIP

Famigator

Pronounced:Faw-me-GAY-tor

WIP

Famingator

Pronounced:Faw-min-GAY-tor

Both names are a combination of famine (lack of food, sometimes caused by pests) and alligator (because of the lizard tail). The main idea is that combined they sound like Fumigator, a person whose job is to spread pesticides and kill bugs, not sure with its better with or without the N

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I agree with Krazyguy that I think a lot of these names put a lot of emphasis on the "dragon" part of the design than they should. The design is a bug with draconic features, not a dragon with bug-like features, so to ignore the main design element of the beetle in favor of calling it a dragon seems like a misnomer.

Also, I'd be wary about using names that evoke Poison-type imagery with words like "toxic" and "noxious" considering we're not a Poison-type (although that didn't stop Flabébé and co.).

My favorite names in the thread so far are:
  • Bomblebeet - such a fun and clever spoonerism!
  • Jurassect - I think this name sounds really cool and tough while being an excellent design fit.
Also, thank you for your feedback, pokexchespin, on people's names! I think you have a good point about my name being too close in pronunciation to the original word compared to modern Pokemon names. I'll chew over what I can do with that feedback.

WIP

Gub Nogard

Its "dragon bug" backwards (same strategy as Ekans)

No-guard guhb

Look at the etymology

Last edited:
WIP
Metrigun/Metragun

Metriini+ Metralladora + Gun

Pronounciation: Meh-tri-gun/Meh-truh-gun

I've chosen the words Metriini (since it is a taxonomical tribe of bombardier beetles and, last time I checked, the winning design of CAP 28 is mainly based off on one), Metralladora (The spanish for "Machine gun", because CAP28's posture and tail maw remind me of one) and Gun

WIP

Vyrmandible

Pronounced: ver-man-di-bull

Vermin+Wyrm+Mandible

Allows us to take inspiration from both the dragon and bug aspects of the design as well as acknowledgeing the large mouth which is a pretty defining part of the design.

For the same reasons I think

Vyrmaw

Pronounced: Ver-maw

Would also be good, but I think lacks impact.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Draquinox

Drake + hydroquinone (chemical agent in beetle defense mechanism)+ Noxious

Pronounced: Dray-quin-nox

In response to Quanyails, I want to say I see no issue with poison based names, so long as they are specific to things that are gas related. Miasma, Gas, Fumes, etc I have no issue with. Things like "Toxic", however, I agree don't really fit here. We aren't toxic, we're neutralizing, AKA numbing/anasthetic.

As such, these are the formats I like:
Bug+Dragon
Bug+Gas
Bug+Jaw
Jaw+Gas

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
WIP

Draculato

The goal for the name was to include the dragon aspect, as well as the fact that it's using the dragon part as a disguise, since in nature, insects often use patterns or body parts to make themselves more threatening than they already are. It's a play on words for the Latin word for disguise: dissimulato. Draco replaces the prefix dissi-, and the O and M were cut off in order to let it roll off the tounge better, thus resulting in Draculato, or dragon disguise.

WIP

Jawful

Jaw + Awful

Pronounced as it looks.

Exhasque

Exhaust, as in exhaust fumes + Tarrasque, "a fearsome legendary dragon-like mythological hybrid from Provence, in southern France." Tarrasque definition courtesy of Wikipedia.

Pronounced "ex-HASSK."

Noximaw

Noxious + Maw

Pronounced "NOX-ih-maw."

Just throwing some out and seeing what sticks. Feedback requested.

Last edited:
WIP

Miasmaw

Miasma, "a highly unpleasant or unhealthy smell or vapor" + Maw, "the jaws or throat of a voracious animal." All definitions courtesy of Google.

Pronounced "my-AZZ-maw."

Jawful

Jaw + Awful

Pronounced as it looks.

Exhasque

Exhaust, as in exhaust fumes + Tarrasque, "a fearsome legendary dragon-like mythological hybrid from Provence, in southern France." Tarrasque definition courtesy of Wikipedia.

Pronounced "ex-HASSK."

Noximax

Noxious + Max

Pronounced "NOX-ih-max."

Just throwing some out and seeing what sticks. Feedback requested.
While your pronunciation may be better, “Miasmaw” has already been posted by Jewvia.

WIP

Drascorp

Combination of "Dragon" and "Scorpion," since this thing looks kinda like a scorpion to me.
Pronounced "DRA-skorp"

WIP

Miasmaw

Miasma, "a highly unpleasant or unhealthy smell or vapor" + Maw, "the jaws or throat of a voracious animal." All definitions courtesy of Google.

Pronounced "my-AZZ-maw."
I really like this name. Sounds awesome

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
WIP

Pesticrule

Combination of pest + vestibule + cruel + molecule. Combines insect colloquialism and anatomy with danger/malice and chemical reactions.

Pronounced "PEST-ih-CROOL"

Pest: It's a bug. A pest. Interestingly you could even decipher pesticide considering what bombardier beetles do to other insects.
Vestibule: This is a word with multiple meanings that generally boil down to "passageway." In anatomy, it refers to almost any body cavity. Like where our beetle friend keeps the reactants it shoots out.
Cruel: This design is anything but friendly: a black-and-dark green insectoid thing with a giant gaping dragon head for an abdomen, one which spews god-knows-what. It's ability to suppress the abilities of others is also pretty cruel.
Molecule: Molecules. Molecular reactions. Chemical reactions. Neutralization reactions. Neutralizing Gas. The Japanese name for the ability is a bit more clear with "Chemical Change Gas" (thanks bulbapedia). The gas it releases effectively changes the molecular makeup of others, neutralizing them.

I based most of the name around the word "vestibule," considering what the main focus of 28's design is. Pesticruel isn't bad, but I liked maintaining the original root's identity while also incorporating a scientific nod into the name. Both are read the same anyhow, it's not like you don't immediately recognize the "cruel" in it's name (unless you pronounce it "cru-el", but that's your fault).

WIP (1/3)

Halitzer

From: Halitosis, the medical term for bad breath, + Howitzer, a short-barreled cannon that is aimed skyward.

Pronounced: HAL-IHT-ZUR

It seems like 28 is based on bombardier beetles, known to spray their predators with an explosive gas. However, 28's sprayer-abdomen has a mouth, and so I wanted to explain the idea of the neutralizing gas as its "bad breath". Halitosis is such a funny (and technical) way to describe bad breath in a word, but the syllables made it too much of a mouthful to use the old "descriptor/element + animal" mashup that Pokemon always implements. Wanting to find another word that either emphasized a 'battle' or an 'insect' aspect to the name, I found that the word 'Howitzer' overlaps perfectly and makes the name easier to naturally pronounce. 28's body shape even has that squat-body, upwards-cannon shape that Howitzers have!

WIP (2/3)

Fragdomen

From: the verb Frag, to attack with an explosive (usually a grenade), + Abdomen, one of the major body segments in insects.

Pronounced: FRAG-DOH-MIN

Another militarized take on 28, but this time with a more overt bug reference. I wanted to make sure the name didn't use terms synonymous with poison elements (so players aren't misled into thinking 28 is Bug/Poison-type), but also acknowledged its chemical attacks. 28's design also heavily focuses on the power of its tail-end, so 'abdomen' acknowledges this aspect while also sounding bug-like.

Feedback requested!

Last edited:

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
WIP

Gyverier

A combination of “Gyve” (a type of shackle), “Eerie” (bugs are often considered to be creepy), and “bombardier.”

Pronounced: “jiy-VEER-ee-er”

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
WIP

Mawlicious

A pun on 'Maw' and 'Malicious' - the design (probably because of the colour scheme) radiates quite a bit of Dark-Type energy to me, so this felt appropriate.

Pronounced: Maw-Lish-Us

-----

Sort of general feedback: Keep your pronunciations fairly obvious.... and avoid things that look like Welsh village names? If it's scary to look at a name and try to pronounce it, I think it'll be difficult for it to pick up any votes ^^;.

WIP (3/3)

Beelzebreth

From: Beelzebub, the name of a demon often associated with pests/flies, + Breath, air taken into or expelled from the lungs.

Pronounced: BEEL-ZEH-BRETH

I wanted a name that captured the monstrous, buggy appearance of 28. Beelzebub is often represented as either a fly or a demon, which already have a draconic look to them. 'Breath' was added (misspelled with artistic license) because that tail-mouth is such a major aspect of its design.

Feedback requested!

WIP

Bocafly

A combination of "Boca" + "Fly".

Pronounced: "Bokkuh-fly"

Boca is Spanish for Mouth so that's where I got the idea. The big mouth on this thing is the first thing you notice so I felt it's name should have something to do with it.

WIP (2/3)

Mawlice

Maw + malice (given the sinister aura of the design) + lice (plural for louse, a parasitic bug)

Pronounced: "MAW-lise"

My take on a name that incorporates "maw". I know that this is hideously similar to Dogfish's "Mawlicious", but hopefully it's ok given the different approach of incorporating "lice", and thereby getting some bugginess in here.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
WIP

Megarhyssa

Pronounced: "Meh-gar-hiss-ah"

It is the genus for a wasp with a really long tail. Also benefits sounding like a name for a bad bad dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)