Can you help me find some numbers?

OK, I pretty much suck at maths and all those numbers, I usually copy the EV Spreads smogon's strategies list because I am not into calculating all possible outcomes. But there are a few things here I'd like to know.

In this generation, I found it is usually a safe bet to switch in Kingdra on a Salamence/Flygon/Whichever other dragon, as they not tend to pack Dragon Claw. And even if they do, it's rarely an OHKO anyway. However, with the Choice Specs, Dragon Claw being Physical now and some other changes, that switch-in might be harder to make.

So here are the questions regarding Kingdra:

- How many HP/SP DEF does it need to survive a Choice Specced Draco Meteor from Salamence, with enough HP left to survive a second one as well?
- How many HP/DEF does it need to survive a Choice Banded Dragon Claw from Salamence, again, with enough HP left to survive a second one as well (if possible)
- How many HP/DEF/SP DEF does it need to survive Life Orb'd hits from the above two?

Thanks in advance.

Kingdra will never survive a Choice Specs Draco Meteor from Salamence. Max HP and max SpDef with a +SpDef nature still takes 504-592 damage from said Draco Meteor, which ends up as 142-167%.

Kingdra needs max HP and max Def with a +Def nature to even have a chance of surviving the Dragon Claw from max Atk Salamence (it does 95-111%). Most CBmence will be at that level.

Max HP and max Def with +Def nature Kingdra will always survive Life Orb Dragon Claw from max Atk Salamence, but only with 4% at worst (18% at best). Kingdra will never survive Life Orb Draco Meteor from max SpAtk Salamence.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
With EVs distributed 252 HP/252 SD and +SD nature, Kingdra has 354 HP/317 SD.

Choice spec Salamence/525 special attack
Draco Meteor 141.4%-166.2% (153.8% average)
Draco Meteor -2 SpA 71.1%-83.5% (77.3%)
Dragon pulse 91.3%-107.2% (99.2%)

Kingdra needs 832 HP with leftovers and no sandstream to survive consecutive draco meteors with 317 SD. Alternatively, Kingdra needs 753 SD with leftovers and no sandstream to survive consecutive draco meteors with 354 HP.

With EVs distributed 252 HP/252 Def with + Def nature, Kingdra has 354 HP and 317 Def.

Choice band Salamence/607 attack
Dragon claw 93.8%-110.2% (102% average)

Kingdra needs 736 HP with 317 Def and leftovers without sandstream to survive 2 dragon claws. Alternatively it needs 666 Def with 354 HP and leftovers without sandstream.

Life orb Salamence... I can't be bothered.

Edit:
DoubleX, your percentages are too high, I think you are applying STAB after the +2, when in DP it is accounted for before the +2 (any advanced damage calculators are therefore inaccurate).

Edit: DoubleX, your percentages are too high, I think you are applying STAB after the +2, when in DP it is accounted for before the +2 (any advanced damage calculators are therefore inaccurate).
I was using the NetBattle damage calculator, using STAB and the low HP trait checkboxes to simulate the Choice Specs effect. Obviously I was doing it wrong.

Regardless, the point has been made: There is no way Kingdra is going to survive Draco Meteor from Salamence, and it can survive Dragon Claw but will die when breathed on afterwards.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
DoubleX, your percentages are too high, I think you are applying STAB after the +2, when in DP it is accounted for before the +2 (any advanced damage calculators are therefore inaccurate).
Actually, STAB in DP is calculated even after the random number generation. Whatever I said about STAB in DP working before the +2 is false. It did change, though... it is calculated even after the random number multiplier. Sorry if I confused you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)