Cake's Atlanta VGC Story [PICTURE HEAVY + VIDEO]

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, I want to say that this was my first VGC event I have attended, and I had an amazing time. If you are ever find yourself with the opportunity to go, take it! I got to meet a lot of cool people, enjoy myself, and spend the weekend doing something that I like! Also, I want to give some special thanks to.... Huy, MattJ, JRank, All the people that I played on PO (that was a lot of people!), and anyone else that I may have forgotten that helped me with my team and/or gave me some helpful information about VGC.

So, without further ado, let's get started! I'll try to keep this short and concise, and somewhat bearable. Hopefully all the pics will help!

I traveled down to Atlanta with a friend of mine who has played some PO, and was relatively experienced. The problem was, he hadn't completed a single member of his team. Luckily, I had 2 members ready for him (although EV training still needed to be done.) For the majority of the 5 hour trip, I helped him get his team ready. The trip went smoothly, although since we arrived at about 12:15, I was a little scared that we might not have made it in time. We got dropped off, and got into line. The funny thing was, it took us a couple minutes to find were the back of the line was... it seemed really long. At this point, I recognized some people, said hey and introduced myself. It was really cool to meet some of these famous battlers! o: Names like, Alaka, MattJ, and Noxus. (Introducing really paid off later!)

Below is a picture of the line, it seemed like it was 100x larger. And below that, there is a video of some people breakdancing! We were just waiting as the line slowly moved up, and these people just started dancing out of no where! They were really good as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k2Nz8MlchI

Meanwhile, we were pretty hungry. We ended up getting some Chickfila past the entrance, although I'm not really sure if they cared or not... To be honest, I was so nervous I cold barely eat. The last thing that I wanted to do was lose in round 1. I had figured out that you usually end up battling people next to you in line. Seeing as my friend wasn't as prepared as I, I let him stand behind me so he could battle this kid who's pokes weren't even lvl 50. Thing was, all the people in front me looked really good (although it can be misleading). But, whatever, I was here to have fun and enjoy myself, so I eventually calmed down. :)

Before I had come, I had set a goal for myself. I just wanted to be able to sit...

There!

Getting an invite was a secondary goal, although I know I wouldn't go unless I somehow made the top 4 (which I didn't). Anyways, let me give you a rundown of my team.

WEAVILE

(252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 SD)
Jolly @ Focus Sash
- Fake Out
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick
- Taunt

GENESIS

(252 SpA / 252 Spd / 6 SpD)
Timid @ Lum Berry
- Flamethower
- Grass Knot
- Psychic
- Protect

My Backups...

SHAKIRA

(Too lazy to look, some spread between Def, SpD, HP, and some SpA)
Calm @ Leftovers
- Follow Me
- Protect
- Encore
- Air Slash

KYOGRE

(252 SpA / Rest in HP and SpD)
Modest @ Shell Bell (I completely forgot about the item for him, so I had to put sometime on him at the last minute, and this was all I had)
- Blizzard
- Thunder
- Muddy Water
- Protect

So, that's the team. Pretty standard, but got the job done! Everyone did what they were supposed to do, and I think it would be unfair if I gave someone the MVP award. :(

So without further ado, let's get started with the matches!

Before I start typing, like a lot of other people, I have terrible memory, I don't even remember anything about one of my matches... (And I only played 5!)

ROUND 1

I end up playing a girl that says she heard about this through IGN I believe, anyways, she seems legit. Don't even remember what she lead with, but this match was extremely close through out. Oh wait, yes I do. A bronzong + something else. I remember faking it out, then taunting, but it didn't go for the trickroom, I believe it was a duel screener... Weird. Anyways, I end up getting a lucky parahax on her Kyogre with him, get to move first, and win. Had I not got that lucky parahax, things could have very well gone differently. But, like someone stated while I was there, "Luck is a big part of this game." 1-0

Oh, and something else. When I first started, I had accidentally left my Soul Silver game in my DS, and had accidentally brought my Platinum with me... I looked like an idiot. -.-' So uh, everyone who still has VGC ahead, make sure you have the right card. Yeah..

ROUND 2

All I remember is he lead with a Lugia + Ho Oh lead. I let Lugia do its calm mind thing, while I raided the rest of his team. Was still a solid battler, although I think my high IVs and the fact that I EV'd paid off (not sure if he did or not, but I doubt so.) Ended up being somewhat close. 2-0 Win.

ROUND 3

I'm waiting in line, and in front of me lies... A FSPL trainer! Oh no! I was supposed to battle him, but someone else conveniently walked in front me right before we were about to play. Guess I got lucky there! This match I honestly have no clue what happened. Was by no means a blowout, but I think it was 2-0.

ROUND 4

So, I'm chilling, waiting for to go into the orange area and I see Alaka.. Oh crap! Although luckily, things worked out well, and we didn't have to play each other (if he didn't know who I was, I might have played him.) ;)

Anyways, the person I play is dressed up like Team Rocket, and is REALLY into it. I admire the guy to be honest. He leads with Uxie and Raquaza. Seeing as Raquaza is actually pretty slow, I'm guessing he's going to for the TR. But, this cost me, it was a helping hand + EQ combo! D: Oh no! So fake out failed, and I took a hit (but, a helping hand EQ didn't even activate my focus sash on my Weavile... weird.) I have a video number if you want to watch, I made a lot of mistakes this match, but did manage to get away. This match had a really weird ending. If you want to watch it, here's the video number:

17-11901-89717

It involves him using explode... and failing. I won 1-0, he was a good trainer as well! But.... I'M IN THE FINALISTS LOUNGE! Yeah! :D

Not so empty anymore eh?

I got to talk to some people in the finalists lounge as well, everyone was really nice. :) I got to meet 3 of the FSPL players, alongside Hagridtwin and his son (had no idea they would go on to win..), Wolf Illusion, and some other people! So yep, we are sitting there, and the guy comes out and makes the announcement that we have 40 some people, and in order to limit it down to 16, some people need to play once, others twice. We each drew an energy card, if you got psychic, you only had to play once, the grass, you had to play twice.

And I got........

Yay! :D But, little did I know who I would have to battle... So we walk up, say our names and the city we are from, and are assigned a table. I am sent to table 22 where I see... Hagrid's son. D: I know this kid is legit. BUT, I have had fun so far, and losing isn't the end of the world. So with that, I begin.

ROUND OF 32

(I'm not sure if he wants to give info, so I won't for the time being. Although since he ended up winning the event, it'll probably be known anyways.)
He sends out his leads, which from first glance, I knew I was dead. GG I thought to myself. BUT, I was willing to try. I tried to switch out, but, it didn't work out that well. I honestly thought one of his pokemon was scarf'd, but it wasn't. I could have put up a better fight, but no matter how I played it, I matched up terribly. And, to be honest, I was outclassed as well. I lost 4-0, but he won the whole tournament, and was a nice kid. We shook hands, and that was that. :) (I was secretly hoping he did well.) GG!

------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't get an invite, but my friend and I had a TON of fun! He made it to round 4 before losing, so he went pretty far as well. Oh, did I mention I got to meet.... MARRILAND?! It was awesome! :D I got his little business card thing with his signature, and a picture with him and his signature thumbs up pose as well!

Oh, and before I left, my head almost got chopped off! ;.;

PROS:
- Made the round of 32!
- Met Marriland!
- Met a lot of other smogoners!
- Played well, and was content. :)
- Had a ton of fun!
- Got to see the giant pikachu and the inflatables!
- Got the cool short string bag they give you.
- Lost to the champion (makes me feel better :P)

CONS:
- Being nervous and winning on hax in the first round.
- Forgetting my game card in the first round and looking like an idiot.
- I wish they had sold T Shirts or something D: I know I would have bought some.. I don't even see how they make a profit! (Or maybe they just do it for fun?)

Cya next year! :pimp:

Nice thread! It's very easy to read and I like the pictures! You have a picture of myself and a picture of my aunt and cousin (they're in your hallway picture) too. Too bad you didn't get an invite, but you did face the champion and that alone is something to brag about. I still think your Mario shirt is awesome!

HAHAHA that was an epic Video. EPIC FAIL
Haha I know right? :P

Congrats on doing a great job dude. Glad to see you had so much fun!
Thanks Huy! I couldn't have done as well without your help! :)

Nice thread! It's very easy to read and I like the pictures! You have a picture of myself and a picture of my aunt and cousin (they're in your hallway picture) too. Too bad you didn't get an invite, but you did face the champion and that alone is something to brag about. I still think your Mario shirt is awesome!
Thanks! Hopefully I will get an invite next year. Your shirt was pretty awesome as well. :P

That's funny. From the pic, I thought you were the guy that beat mike(tall guy with pokemon hat) and myself out, but then realized that it wasn't... so, yeah.

Did damage calcs on that final move. The only way that that would have in his favor 100% is if the uxie had + def nature, max ivs and evs in hp and def AND if the metagross had 0 evs and 0 ivs or one of them and a negative nature. Idk what he was thinking lol.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
nice read. i love picture heavy stories. gosh it just makes it so much better. congratz on reaching the lounge, its an awsome feeling when you are in there, for an hour all stress/tension and nervousness is gone and sitting on those chairs is like siting on a throne. well atleast that how awsome it felt for me.

hrrrm also please dont still picture ideas :)

That's funny. From the pic, I thought you were the guy that beat mike(tall guy with pokemon hat) and myself out, but then realized that it wasn't... so, yeah.
Haha, I wish I was that good. :p

Did damage calcs on that final move. The only way that that would have in his favor 100% is if the uxie had + def nature, max ivs and evs in hp and def AND if the metagross had 0 evs and 0 ivs or one of them and a negative nature. Idk what he was thinking lol.
Thanks for doing that (I was lazy), I figured it would be nearly impossible... not sure why he didn't carry protect on the Uxie..

nice read. i love picture heavy stories. gosh it just makes it so much better. congratz on reaching the lounge, its an awsome feeling when you are in there, for an hour all stress/tension and nervousness is gone and sitting on those chairs is like siting on a throne. well atleast that how awsome it felt for me.

hrrrm also please dont still picture ideas :)
To be honest, I actually thought about your picture when I took mine xD Sorry, it was just such a great idea haha!

It was really cool meeting ya. :) Glad you had a great time too!
Thanks Matt! You're words of advice were helpful indeed v.v;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)