Gen 5 BW OU Beginner Team Advice

hi! i just made this account, to mainly ask about this, as someone who just now wants to start playing competitive singles. i made this team with the BKC sand team video guide, and want to see if its actually ok or if its terrible (?)

Alakazam @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 172 SpA / 84 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Zam is simple -- The plan here is having it do lots of damage after setting up hazards with Gliscor/Skarm, and I added some SpD evs to at least see if it could live one special attack, kind of as replacement of having it sash'd. I do think I could easily just sash it instead of having life orb on it, though.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Careful Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Thunder Wave
- Rock Slide
Ttar is here mainly cause it kinda has to for a sand team. I have it with the usual, and decided to go Rock Slide instead of Ice Beam/HP Ice for Lando T or Gliscor potentially. TWave is there mainly cause i just really like the move and wanted to use it to maybe annoy other mons, like opposing Zams or Latios.

Jellicent (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Night Shade
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover
Jelli is here mainly to do things like walling rain Tentacruel and in general taking hits from Volc, Heatran, etc. I also just like Jellicent and wanted to use it, frankly. I could see switching Night Shade for something else, akin to Shadow Ball or maybe Scald.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 208 HP / 128 Def / 172 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Whirlwind
Skarm is here because I wanted multiple hazard setters. It's job is to set those hazards, and if they're already in, to tank hits and switch the opp out with Whirlwind. This is one of the mons that I could see myself replacing the most, with any other good Spikes/Rocks setter, I just don't really know who else does that role well.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 212 HP / 128 Atk / 168 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
Gliscor is also a Rocks setter, designed to come in, Protect for the Toxic Orb, and set the rocks/do effective damage against rock/steel types or just hit well but neutrally with EQ. It does well against most Latios sets that I could find on the Showdown calc, and also tanks other special attackers well enough.

Latios @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 92 HP / 66 Def / 150 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Recover
- Surf
- Psychic
Latios is here because from my understanding, it's either the best or close to the best mon in the tier, and using it makes my life easier. It's designed so that it can one shot Keldeos without bulk investment from one Psychic, while also living one Ttar pursuit. From what I understand, Latios is also a good Thundurus T counter, and from just looking through the SD calc, I see that mine does well against almost all Terrakion sets (Banded X-Scissors could be a problem though)

Again, I'm new to this, this being literally my first OU team in any gen. I know that I probably should've used more guiding aside from the one video, but I was just really excited to go to the teambuilder tbh. If there's anything here that's actually hideously bad, please let me know! Thanks! ^^

dawn to the dusk

during the tough day
is a Contributor to Smogon
hi glad to see u building team by urself and it looks not that bad for a new player who play bw.And there are three things u need to know,rock slide is for volcar thunderous and tornadous not for lando-t and gliscor,so if u still wanna tyran got way to hit these pokemon,i suggest u can take icebeam,but two entryhazards skarmory is too passive,in this position ur gliscor even got no u-turn to piovt ur attackers out safely,so if u wanna skarmory take two entryhazards,than let gliscor take ut ,at least Increase flexibility and means of transfer for this team.Also u need at least one way to against those setup sweepers such as dragonite,volcar,sword dance terrakion and especially agility thunderous.So this is the team that after my improvement
https://pokepast.es/bc0b53990d4bb277
The last one,try to find a way to against lead spikers skarmory with taunt,it is very annoy for ur team

hi glad to see u building team by urself and it looks not that bad for a new player who play bw.And there are three things u need to know,rock slide is for volcar thunderous and tornadous not for lando-t and gliscor,so if u still wanna tyran got way to hit these pokemon,i suggest u can take icebeam,but two entryhazards skarmory is too passive,in this position ur gliscor even got no u-turn to piovt ur attackers out safely,so if u wanna skarmory take two entryhazards,than let gliscor take ut ,at least Increase flexibility and means of transfer for this team.Also u need at least one way to against those setup sweepers such as dragonite,volcar,sword dance terrakion and especially agility thunderous.So this is the team that after my improvement
https://pokepast.es/bc0b53990d4bb277
The last one,try to find a way to against lead spikers skarmory with taunt,it is very annoy for ur team
Thanks a lot!!! Yeah, I tried the team out in showdown, and did get kind of shat on by a lot of setup sweepers ^^'. I'll definetely be trying out these changes later. Srsly, thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)