BOW BEFORE CLEFABLE (Peak 1970)

Ok, so as an introduction I would like to say that I have a few other teams that are more or less standard and very efficiet. I have a good sun team, a BO team, and a nice pseudo sand team. That being said I have been looking around for unusual sets and experimenting myself and I think I have found a team that catches many people off guard. Ill get into more details later but here is the starting line up.

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 12 SpAtk
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Cosmic Power
Moonblast
Softboiled
Aromatherapy

I am not saying I started this but I based it off of a Cosmic power stored power sigilyph, I am sure someone else has used this but this is the first I have seen a clefable like this. If I see my opponent has a started that is going for hazards I just lead with this and start getting up CP. After a few even stab super effective moves start to do next to nothing after lefties. The best part is when people see me seting up they start setting up themselves!! Nobody seems to know about unaware clefable and for those of you that do not, unaware completely ignores and stat changes to your opponent. This is also a cleric in case my other pokes get statused or something. I have swept whole teams with this and it is amazing.

Goodra @ Assualt Vest
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
Infestation
Flamethrower
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam

This is my special wall that deals with literally ANY special attack. I try and switch in on any special attack and am usually able to deal super effective damage to something. Not too much to say about this, it is a very effective special wall and can damage a lot of things. My problem with this thing is I usually lead with it because it can hit most leads with super-effective damage like galvatula, ferrothorn, forretres, etc.. but They usually always get their hazards up and I do not get any of mine up. I can usually spin them away with tentacruel, but I would like to switch goodra with maybe a magic bouncer or a bulky hazard poke.

Tangrowth (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Infestation

Scolipede@Black Sludge / Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 34 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance / Earthquake / Spikes / Toxic Spikes
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 Spd / 252 Atk / 252 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Dance
- Extremespeed

My physical sweeper, if I predict a rock dragon or ice move, I switch in and start going to work. I have a lot of coverage but I am open to suggestions for moves and ev spread. I am unsure if I should invest into speed or not, I am finding the extra bulk helpful and still outspeed a lot. Dragonite has been very helpful in clutch situations but I cant help but think maybe a scarfchomp or scarfed mence would be better.

Medicham @ Medichamite
Evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature : Jolly
- Hi Jump Kick
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Psycho Cut

This is a very underestimated mega because of its awesome ability Pure Power which is the same as Azumarill's Huge Power, the difference is medicham already has a solid attack stat and with the Pure Power boost it gets insane. Again I am open to move suggestions, I usually only bring this out when my team has got rid of any thing that outspeeds or resists fighting. Man if this guy were a little faster he would be ubers I swear.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spd
Bold Nature
Rapid Spin
Scald
Sludge Bomb
Knock Off

My rapid Spinner and help against flying types and cocky grass types. Knock off is really good move and I wanted someone on my team to have it, but most the time I just use this to rapid pin and try and get the burn on things.

Anyway this is my team I know it may not look like much but I have had more success with this team than my sun team, which I found odd. My weaknesses are when I allow things to set up on my clefable and they get a crit and kill me, then I have nothing to handle it with. The only "team" that gives me a problem are hyper offensive teams, but I rarely run into those anymore, Thanks for reading and Thank you for any tips.

Here are some of my first Clefable Sweeps, I have others like it but they are very similiar
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-68557227
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-68566614
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-68609083
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-68712570

This one he dc but it would have been a full sweep easily which just shows how this destroys unprepared teams. This guy had a MEGA KANGASKHAN and could not touch me.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-68563599

Here is me playing poorly and having my medicham save my skin
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-68569024

This shows what happens when you leech seed a tentacruel
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-68564617

Anyway As you can see this team may not have the raw power of other teams but it gets the job done in unexpected ways. Keep that in mind when rating

Last edited:
I am fairly new to this whole competitive thing, so i think if I critiqued your set it'd make it worse. But I wanted to ask what the 0 atk ivs on tentacruel does? i run that mon, with haze instead of knock off and was just wondering

I am fairly new to this whole competitive thing, so i think if I critiqued your set it'd make it worse. But I wanted to ask what the 0 atk ivs on tentacruel does? i run that mon, with haze instead of knock off and was just wondering
The 0 atk iv's are just in case it gets confused...it has come in handy before so i just keep running it. I only use knock off for the effect, the damage is secondary, so the 0 atk iv's dont bug me there. I dont feel the need to run haze because my clefable will just tank anything that is trying to set up on me with its ability unaware. If I did not have clefable I would probably put haze or toxic spikes on.

nice team.
I may try that clefable out pretty soon.
Not sure about your Dragonite theory. I like it in theory, but you switch into a rock/dragon/ice move with rocks in hes basically dead and whatever hit him most likely outspeeds him.
Synergy wise he also doesn't work very well with Goodra and Tangrowth.
If you are looking for a physical sweeper with better synergy who can start scaring stuff immediately my first two thoughts would be either a scarf scizor or my present favorite physical attacker in this gen Terrakion. All the dark moves flying around at present do nothing on him and raise his attack combine that with his rock polish set I think it could wreak havoc on this team.
One thought your team seems a bit stall oriented, so im confused why you opted for sludge bomb over toxic spikes on tentacruel.

So here goes my RMT:

Clefable is perfectly fine, and viable IMO. After you set up not much can stop you, so it really is amazing. However, while Stored Power is good and can hit pretty hard, have you considered Wish/Softboiled over it? Recovery means nothing AT ALL can stop you, and your current set right now can be worn down by leech seed/ infestation/ burns, etc overtime (even if you do have aromatherapy). Besides, Clefable isn't so strong as an atacker which means while it can wall, it can also be walled and stalled.
With recovery, even tho you only have Moonblast, anything without recovery will die, and if they do have recovery it's going to be a Stall war. Get ready to bust out your pp :)

Meanwhile, you will never die either. Just a thought tho

Nothing wrong with Goodra, as you are aware I use that same set myself so it's all good as far as I can see.

Same goes for Tangrowth.

As for Dragonite, while it is VERY effective if it works, like Cosmicfinch said, Rocks can mess you up. Not to mention, if they don't hit you for SE damage, it really hinders your sweep and viability. While I don't see a problem with running Weakness Policy, I would recommend replacing Thunderpunch for Dragon Dance.

This will allow you to set up in case weakness policy doesn't activate, and if it does, you may also find a chance to boost yourself even further. Not to mention Dragon Claw will be dealing 120 neutral damage (STAB) while ThunderPunch can only go as far as 150 (SE damage). Sure 30 is quite a bit, but the amount of things you will be hitting super effectively don't really seem worth it to me.

Mega Medicham seems fine too, just be careful not to be outsped.

Tentacruel is a nice addition, even tho he is kind of outclassed by a few other mons, except for the fact that he spins. He seems to work out for you tho, which makes it fine, and he helps spinning the rocks D-nite hates.

That being said, I don't find any huge problems right now with the team. If you find yourself having a hard time against something, I will try to help :)

Clefable is perfectly fine, and viable IMO. After you set up not much can stop you, so it really is amazing. However, while Stored Power is good and can hit pretty hard, have you considered Wish/Softboiled over it? Recovery means nothing AT ALL can stop you, and your current set right now can be worn down by leech seed/ infestation/ burns, etc overtime (even if you do have aromatherapy). Besides, Clefable isn't so strong as an atacker which means while it can wall, it can also be walled and stalled.
With recovery, even tho you only have Moonblast, anything without recovery will die, and if they do have recovery it's going to be a Stall war. Get ready to bust out your pp :)
The reason I have stored power is because it can OHKO every leech seeder and infestioner except for ferrothorn, but my goodra can handle that thing. However I did once get my leftovers stolen by magician and that rendered my clefable useless...so I think Ill try out wish.

As for the dragonite suggestion, THANK YOU, I have been scratching my head trying to figure out how to make my dragonite better and putting SD on him is perfect I cant wait to try that out. I cant believe putting dragon dance on my DRAGONite never ocuured to me.

If you are looking for a physical sweeper with better synergy who can start scaring stuff immediately my first two thoughts would be either a scarf scizor or my present favorite physical attacker in this gen Terrakion. All the dark moves flying around at present do nothing on him and raise his attack combine that with his rock polish set I think it could wreak havoc on this team.
I was thinking about switching dragonite, but I am playing pre bank right now because I feel like the people there are way too good. But if I dont like this dragon dance set, I will defnitely consider scizor, I love scizor but I have him on two other teams and wanted to try something different.

Another question I have is I have noticed that if my medicham could maybe get passed some speed boosts, it would be unstoppable(barring talonflame) Does anybody think I should put a speed boost scolipede on my team??

Have you been stalking me? :0 I have either used or recommended half of this team to multiple people. If not, I am still honored, and so I will rate your team.

You really need Infestation on Goodra. I know that is two Pokés on your team that run it, but it is so good. Seriously. With it, you can switch into Clefable and get a few easy turns for set-up, or you can trap a slower Pokémon for Medicham to take care of (or anything else on your team). Seriously. Trapping should be far more viable this gen with the damage buff, and yet so few people use it.

As for Clefable, consider running Charge Beam, as nothing will then wall you completely, and you can continue to spam that Sp. Atk boost if you find the opportunity. Also, unless you are going to be Wish Passing (not that great an idea) use Softboiled on Clefable. The spamminess of this asshole becomes divine, once you are at +2 in both defenses. Also, Ueki is completely right that without active healing, Leech Seed, Burn, and Poison can wreck you (allowing you to opt for Heal Bell, but meh). Here's a set that describes my rambles.

Clefable
Bold Nature
Unaware
-Cosmic Power
-Charge Beam/Moonblast
-Stored Power
-Softboiled/Wish/Heal Bell

I feel like something like Scolipede fits better in place of Tangrowth, but what do I know. If he works, he works.

Megacham you should keep as is. Wonderful sweeping possibility with Speed Boost Scolipede.

Take Ueki's advice on Dragonite, because it's not too different from what I would say. Though, you could add Roost for the added spamability of Wonder Scale.

Tentacruel is great, and helps with the Stealth Gravel.

Hope I could help! Good luck!

Dragonite has Agility as far as I know. So, if you take a Super Effective hit and use Agility on the same turn... Are you following me? Huh are ya?

:3

Plus 2 on 3 stats in one turn. No one can stop you after that, except for Mamoswine/ Weavile/ Abomasnow.

This is the Dragonite set I've been using and it works quite well imo

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Dance
- Extremespeed

EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Agility
- Earthquake

My set. The Speed EVs might be alittle overkill, but meh.

Thank you so much everyone I think these suggestions are going to take this weird team to the next level.
This is the Dragonite set I've been using and it works quite well imo

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Dance
- Extremespeed
I really like this because the only thing that hinders this set are priority users and extremespeed helps with that greatly...I might put a little of the hp ev's into speed just to be sure I can outspeed those fast ice priorities but nonetheless this set looks great.

As for the clefable I think I am going to put on softboiled on but I have mixed feelings on getting rid of moonblast for charge beam, unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Clefable
Bold Nature
Unaware
-Cosmic Power
-Charge Beam/Moonblast
-Stored Power
-Softboiled/Wish/Heal Bell

I feel like something like Scolipede fits better in place of Tangrowth, but what do I know. If he works, he works.

Megacham you should keep as is. Wonderful sweeping possibility with Speed Boost Scolipede.
Finally as much as it pains me I think I have to get rid of tangrowth for a scolipede because a +2 speed MegaCham is too much to resist. I will however put on infestation on my goodra because I am growing to love this move and it could really help my set up potential.

I will update the original post with the changes to make sure I am not opening myself up to other weaknesses

I really like this because the only thing that hinders this set are priority users and extremespeed helps with that greatly...I might put a little of the hp ev's into speed just to be sure I can outspeed those fast ice priorities but nonetheless this set looks great.
Um.. extremespeed is +2 priority and ice shard is only +1. You need max hp if you are going to use weakness policy.

Either you go for max speed jolly nature OR max hp. Choose one

Um.. extremespeed is +2 priority and ice shard is only +1. You need max hp if you are going to use weakness policy.

Either you go for max speed jolly nature OR max hp. Choose one
Welp that is even better...lol I didnt know that. The only problem is I like playing pre bank and espeed is only postbank. But I will definitely try it out once I switch to postbank.

While not an objectively superior option, I recommend trying out Assault Vest on Tentacruel. You're using all attacking moves anyway, so it's up to your discretion whether you value the Special Defense buff (making it a great mixed defensive pivot) or the passive recovery. Cool team, it's similar to mine! :]

Sorry guys but I think I need to revive this thread because I have been running into a lot of problems in testing.
I Have to say though that I think this team has actually done worse since I changed it. I replaced scolipede for my tangowth and the problem is everybodu knows what scolipede does so it is easy to predict him. I run into a lot of people that see scolipede and either switch to a talonflame or aegislash and proceed to wreck my team.
The other problem I am having with clefable is that without a second attacking move I find myself losing stall wars against pokes with recover. Pokemon like venesaur and the like are now a problem because they can just leech seed and wall the heck out of me.

I didnt want to keep posting on that RMT because i didnt want to overkill it but I am going to be working on this team because it has a lot of potential but I would appreciate some help.

Here is what I was thinking let me know if you agree. If I switched scolipede for a smeargle I would be able to set up a sticky web that would basically be doing what scolipede does and I could get up rocks and maybe put something to sleep.

The only way clefable can get killed is if I get switched in on immediately by either a gengar, venesaur, scizor, lucario, or anything that has a strong poison or steel move. Like I mentioned earlier If I could get rid of wish for stored power again I would be set. So I thought of the most common leech seeders and they are ferro and trevenant. The ebst way to counter all the aforementioned problems would be with a magnezone that could trap the steels and nail them with an hp fire and also deal with grass types. I just do not know who to switch him with.

Here is a game I just got with my new team...note how I got raped and played stupid but the clefable dragonite combo was too muchhttp://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-69212923

Dragonite is solid and should keep his set

Medicham is awesome but I think he needs fire punch to take out aegislash because that is a threat to him. But again I need ice punch, so maybe ill get rid of pscycho cut or drain punch.

tentacruel is also solid I really value the knock off and he can usually take a few hits so I can use rapid spin.

The last thing is with goodra I feel the lack of a stab move hinders him against the likes of rotom-w and I havent been able to use his infestation as well as I would like. But the surprise of having those three coverage moves has gotten a lot of unexpected kills.

I would appreciate input on all the aforementioned problems thanks guys.

Last edited:
If I switched scolipede for a smeargle I would be able to set up a sticky web that would basically be doing what scolipede does and I could get up rocks and maybe put something to sleep.
Scolipede is indeed predictable, I don't think you can get much by using him. Smeargle is also easy to shut down most of the time, and since defog is around it's really hard to keep hazards. Sticky web isn't all that great honestly IMO, so I think something else should fill that spot.

The only way clefable can get killed is if I get switched in on immediately by either a gengar, venesaur, scizor, lucario, or anything that has a strong poison or steel move. Like I mentioned earlier If I could get rid of wish for stored power again I would be set. So I thought of the most common leech seeders and they are ferro and trevenant. The ebst way to counter all the aforementioned problems would be with a magnezone that could trap the steels and nail them with an hp fire and also deal with grass types. I just do not know who to switch him with.
Magnezone would still die to Lucario. Also, are you using Wish? Why not Softboiled? You're not supposed to switch, so Softboiled should be there, not Wish. Wish takes 2 turns.

Here is a game I just got with my new team...note how I got raped and played stupid but the clefable dragonite combo was too muchhttp://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-69212923

Dragonite is solid and should keep his set. No arguments there

Medicham is awesome but I think he needs fire punch to take out aegislash because that is a threat to him. But again I need ice punch, so maybe ill get rid of pscycho cut or drain punch. If anything take out Hi Jump Kick for it. You have 2 fighting moves, and while HJK is stronger, Drain Punch provides recovery. Not to mention, HJK screws you up against Protecters. If you feel Drain Punch doesn't cut it, switch back to HJK and drop it instead. But for now I'd try Drain Punch, Psycho Cut, Ice Punch, Fire Punch.

tentacruel is also solid I really value the knock off and he can usually take a few hits so I can use rapid spin.

The last thing is with goodra I feel the lack of a stab move hinders him against the likes of rotom-w and I havent been able to use his infestation as well as I would like. But the surprise of having those three coverage moves has gotten a lot of unexpected kills. Infestation of Goodra is not a good idea, IMO. Goodra is supposed to take special hits and dish out damage with coverage/STAB. You're not really going to trap anything you need to trap. Just go back to Dragon Pulse, it was better on him.

I would appreciate input on all the aforementioned problems thanks guys.
That's all I can think of atm bro. Good luck!

That's all I can think of atm bro. Good luck!
I took some of these suggestions to practice and what I am stuck on instead of smeargle is either a defog crobat with taunt or a defog physically defensive mandibuzz.
Both of shown promise but I do not know yet which one fits better with my team.

The reason I used wish is because softboiled was only available playing pre bank and I dont want to switch into pokebank because I am not as familiar with all the gen 5 threats.

btw I put dragon pulse back on goodra

I will keep messing around with medichams move set but I am thinking about sacking him altogether...any thoughts on a different mega?

While not an objectively superior option, I recommend trying out Assault Vest on Tentacruel. You're using all attacking moves anyway, so it's up to your discretion whether you value the Special Defense buff (making it a great mixed defensive pivot) or the passive recovery. Cool team, it's similar to mine! :]
Thanks for the idea but I think I need the recovery because I try and switch tentacruel in on predicted leech seeds. This way I am able to cause the opponent more damage because of the health recovery. I'd be interested in any other advice especially if you have a similiar team.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if my advice will be useful to you but you could also try to give Goodra sap sipper to deal with leech seed / spore / grass users. it's basically a free switch in on any grass type move. IMO gooey isn't that good because goodra doesn't really last many physical hits as it is being a special wall.

on a side note I'm totally trying out your clefable IV training one for in game use ^_^

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You helped me, so I think that I should do the same. And let me tell you, this one's obvious. Scolipede needs to go. Everybody knows exactly what he does, it's like seeing a level one aron in gen v sandstorm. I thought for a while on what to replace it with, and I think that the best thing would be a sticky web Galvantula for several reasons, although I won't post a set because the sets are literally EVERYWHERE now. First of all, Mega Medicham will outspeed a lot more stuff. A ton. This was invaluable for mine, so I don't see why not with yours. Galvantula would also be a second special attacker other than just Clefable. The other reason is you already have one throwaway pokemon. Replacing him for a different but more useful one won't make a difference. Galvantula doesn't like hazards, but you seem to have those covered very well, so give it a shot!

You helped me, so I think that I should do the same. And let me tell you, this one's obvious. Scolipede needs to go. Everybody knows exactly what he does, it's like seeing a level one aron in gen v sandstorm. I thought for a while on what to replace it with, and I think that the best thing would be a sticky web Galvantula for several reasons, although I won't post a set because the sets are literally EVERYWHERE now. First of all, Mega Medicham will outspeed a lot more stuff. A ton. This was invaluable for mine, so I don't see why not with yours. Galvantula would also be a second special attacker other than just Clefable. The other reason is you already have one throwaway pokemon. Replacing him for a different but more useful one won't make a difference. Galvantula doesn't like hazards, but you seem to have those covered very well, so give it a shot!
Thanks for the idea, I should be updating my team as I make changes, but I did get rid of scolipede because he is way too gimmicky and does not work against skilled players. I now have a mandibuzz instead of goodra and a magnezone instead of scolipede. But I am struggling still, I think trying out galvantula would be good. In fact I am thinking about changing my team around alot, ill make a new RMT after a while to not clutter up the forum but thanks again for the idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)